We should be able to emote in our dying moments

Started by Harmless, August 03, 2012, 04:06:42 PM

I think it would be cool if the game gave you a twenty second window of time when below -10 hp to emote and interact with the world as if asleep or KOed.

It is unrealistic, in my opinion, that players immediately go from full capacities to dead as a doornail as often as they do, due to the simple damage code wotking the way it does (as in, no location based damage to distinguish between a head injury and chest, etc). From most wounds, dying is a slow, painful process. Even decapitated heads continue to see for 7 seconds.

I think this extra time to emote should be cut short to mantishead if stun points drop to zero or were zero when hp fell to -10.

This new state, "dying irreversibly," or whatever, should be completely impossible to be rescued from, for game balance.

I just think it would be cool to throw out a gory emote, or experience another player's emotes in your final dying moments. As it is, it really irks me how often players go from alive to poof, gone, as if a single backstab causes you to immediately cease to exist.

Now, some things should cause that kind of damage. I think reel and stun code accounts for this.

People have asked for mercy on, but I don't think we should put the responsibility of a good death on the killer when adrenaline is involved.

Just my two sids.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Sudden deaths... kinda like (TDKR SPOILER IN WHITE) Bane gets blown away in seconds by Catwoman after all that epic buildup?

I like the sudden deaths. It's nice and gritty and brutal. But... I am admittedly old-school.

Even to, say, a training weapon? A long slow set of pokes from one dagger?  I am not asking for an end to all sudden deaths but for realistic gore. My idea is just one that I thought might work, but maybe someone here has a better one.

I don't see why not, really. Seems nice, too.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

August 03, 2012, 05:35:35 PM #5 Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 05:55:05 PM by RogueGunslinger
This guy didn't read the OP.

Yuh. I'd totally like this. Unless the killing blow is to the head. Then sudden death.

Also...I didn't click what TDKR stood for...so I highlighted it...and read it...and now I'm really sad because I haven't seen it yet. :(
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

I'm all for this.  Just make it 1 prompt, that only accepts a single emote, and if you hit return, you mantis.  Everybody's happy, right?

Quote from: Harmless on August 03, 2012, 04:06:42 PM
Even decapitated heads continue to see for 7 seconds.

Can you show some proof for this? Please? Like, I'm not being sarcastic or anything, I'm just genuinely curious.  :P

But to remain on-topic, I think it sounds like a cool idea. If you get backstabbed, you can emote coughing blood up all over your killer and awesomeness like that. lol
"Karma police, arrest this man."

Even if decapitated heads can see for seven seconds, are they mentally capable to understand what they are seeing?
sry for the derailment.
Though there be no squids to slay,
My spear will taste blood today!

After dropping below -10 health, we should get the echo:

What other's see:
"The tall, muscular man dies..."

What you see:
You begin to die...

Room description/status:
The tall, muscular man is dying.

Then you are put into a non-aggro state for 10-15 seconds unless attacked again. Within those 10-15 seconds, you are able to emote only. If attacked again before the 10-15 seconds, you are dead.

Kind've like a "mercy" for the "No Mercy" setting?

And, of course, it would be impossible to be healed, etc, while in the 'dying' state.

Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Mortally wounded=dying

That's why it is called "mortally wounded".

Sure, some can come back from the edge of death, but most don't.  Want to emote?  Do it when mortally wounded.  Opponent didn't let you stay mortally wounded/killed you outright?  Guess you got really f'd up.

Sure, the code might say the final blow was to your arm or leg.  Hell, the code might say ALL the wounds are to your arm or leg.  If it's enough to get you to -11hp it's a downright traumatic wound and by that point you've bled out.  If you go from full health to -11hp in a single extremity shot then it was definitely a traumatic wound and you bled out REAL fast (most likely from something with inhuman strength)

Could the code by more dynamic?  Sure, but this one is already covered by current code.

You the aggressor and want to see your victim rp their dying moments?  Keep your bloody Mercy On.  Can always switch it off for the killing blow.
Quote from: ZhairaI don't really have a problem with drugs OR sex
Quote from: MansaMarc's got the best advice.
Quote from: WarriorPoetIf getting loaded and screwing is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

Agreed to those who say they like grittiness of current death code, also agreed that the system already allows some degree of what I'm saying. (But other times, it doesn't.)

However, I also agree that this isn't an urgent issue for coding. I put this topic up because I thought of the idea and felt like "it would be cool if," so I wanted it documented here on the boards. But do I expect coders to actually work on this, when other code ideas are much cooler? Nope.

Anyway, thanks for the responses.  :)

Quote from: knewage1 on August 03, 2012, 10:42:32 PM

Can you show some proof for this? Please? Like, I'm not being sarcastic or anything, I'm just genuinely curious.  :P

But to remain on-topic, I think it sounds like a cool idea. If you get backstabbed, you can emote coughing blood up all over your killer and awesomeness like that. lol

A quick google search produces some good evidence.

Quote from: GooglefuMy friend's head came to rest face up, and (from my angle) upside-down. As I watched, his mouth opened and closed no less than two times. The facial expressions he displayed were first of shock or confusion, followed by terror or grief. I cannot exaggerate and say that he was looking all around, but he did display ocular movement in that his eyes moved from me, to his body, and back to me. He had direct eye contact with me when his eyes took on a hazy, absent expression ... and he was dead.
Quote from: BleakOne
Dammit Kol you made me laugh too.
A staff member sends:
     "Hi! Please don't kill the sparring dummy."

Quote from: Kol on August 08, 2012, 04:56:50 AM
Quote from: knewage1 on August 03, 2012, 10:42:32 PM

A quick google search produces some good evidence.

Quote from: GooglefuMy friend's head came to rest face up, and (from my angle) upside-down. As I watched, his mouth opened and closed no less than two times. The facial expressions he displayed were first of shock or confusion, followed by terror or grief. I cannot exaggerate and say that he was looking all around, but he did display ocular movement in that his eyes moved from me, to his body, and back to me. He had direct eye contact with me when his eyes took on a hazy, absent expression ... and he was dead.

Googlefu aside, this is a hard topic to get a bead on, as I doubt an ethics board would approve any 'Let's cut peoples heads off to see how long they live.' experiment. (Well, none did that I found)

Best answer I could come up with was 2-3 seconds....though that is based on a 1983 article in New Scientist magazine. Probably no better to quote than random google searches.

Hillman, Harold "An unnatural way to die." New Scientist, October 27, 1983, pg 276-278.
http://tinyurl.com/cf5ma89

/somewhatderail

Quote from: Maso on August 03, 2012, 05:40:23 PM
Also...I didn't click what TDKR stood for...so I highlighted it...and read it...and now I'm really sad because I haven't seen it yet. :(

Same here.  :'(

I don't even know why i opened this silly thread since it's come up a billion times over the years.

Instead of having X amount of mins to say your last words or what not I think it would be cool if when you died you were giving the option to pass on to the next world (ie go make your next pc) or to linger as a ghost. If you choose to linger it would start a timer for lets say 6 irl hours or something. During this time you wouldn't be able to speak and only those with certain abilities would be the only ones able to see you (ie Drovians for example). Maybe have some rooms where the veil between the shadow plane and living was thinner where you could emote or interacted with limited ability but again no speaking.  Maybe set it so if you try to speak in those rooms anyone in the room that was alive would just hear a haunting wail or something. At any point during this time you could always opt to 'pass on' and make your next pc. Than add a high branch/mon comp required spell to drovians that would give them a speak with dead ability. Make it a pain in the butt enough to craft or get that while  a Drovian might not cast it on Amos the salt grebber but he certainly might for Lord Templar Tor who is wanting to ask Lord Fale who murdered him with the butcher knife in the parlor. More important long lived pcs might have friends that could get up enough coin to pay said drovian to cast it so they could say goodbye and have last words. I think getting some last words in would take the sting out of losing a long lived PC. Especially if you had a pointless or stupid death.
Just a thought  :P
The sound of a thunderous explosion tears through the air and blasts waves of pressure ripple through the ground.

Looking northward, the rugged, stubble-bearded templar asks you, in sirihish:
     "Well... I think it worked...?"

Quote from: Kismetic on August 12, 2012, 01:48:07 PM
That has a huge potential for abuse.
Eh not if you cant Look hooded and cheat to see who killed you
The sound of a thunderous explosion tears through the air and blasts waves of pressure ripple through the ground.

Looking northward, the rugged, stubble-bearded templar asks you, in sirihish:
     "Well... I think it worked...?"

Who even knows if ghosts exist? When a Zalanthan dies, they just die. There ain' no afterlife!

I mean...there might be....but it would kinda suck if there was and we all -knew- there was...changes everything.

I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Quote from: Kismetic on August 12, 2012, 06:26:12 PM
Haha, Maso, find out IC.  :P

EXACTLY! :)

What about after you die you are given an option as to what your Ldesc default for your corpse will be?

I did say I like the idea of a final emote before disconnect, mostly because I think it's good for people who have a hard time with closure, but ...

I like the mantishead.  It's iconic of Arm, and we probably shouldn't change it.