Tailoring for others

Started by hatchets, July 29, 2012, 02:36:30 PM

Is there currently a way to tailor things to fit other people?

And if not, would it be feasible to put something in that could be used for it?

I am not sure all of what is taken into account with tailoring. Race, Height, Weight?

So maybe something like

tailor <item> (race) (height) (weight)

tailor helm human 65 8
Life sucks, then you die.

Only through the npc clothing and armor tailors.
Like a lithium flower, about to bloom.

But that's only for your PC and anyone else if what something tailored for them.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Quote from: Riya OniSenshi on July 29, 2012, 02:48:30 PM
Only through the npc clothing and armor tailors.

There are some inconveniences with this:

1. The item's end result will fit whoever turns the ticket in. So I can't get something tailored for you, unless we are both the same height/weight/race.
2. Due to #1, GMH merchants can't order something that is designed to fit someone specific. On NPC merchants, the "standard loadup" allows them to use the "buy" command. But on special orders, the single item loaded up has a default size which may or may not be the right size for the customer.
3. Crafters PCs who have the clothworking skill, even at the master craft level, cannot do alterations to their own work. RP-wise, that makes zero sense at all.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Maybe a tool that records the 'measurements' for a person?

Then you could Tailor (item) (sizing tool) for example. Or Crafters could craft (material) (material) (Item) (sizing Tool) For sizing?

With a period of time in getting the measurements of a person (person must hold still), you could measure (person) while holding the tool. The tool would then keep those measurements until used on someone else?

Example of said tool:

Intricate Measuring Tool

Once opened, the measuring tool appears to have many lengths of cords and colored markers along each one. Some cords measuring ones height, some arm length, inseem, and gurth.

just a thought maybe.

That won't work, most people of the Known can't read.
Fredd-

July 29, 2012, 04:13:16 PM #6 Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 04:15:14 PM by hatchets
Doesn't involve reading, that is why I used markers of color.

The in game theory, would be to hold one of the lengths up to the appropriate area, and place one marker at the end of the length.
Tailor could always just tell you "Red is for height, Blue is for arms, Yellow is for gurth" ect...

Oh, I can read. Then, I do dig this idea.
Fredd-

Quote from: hatchets on July 29, 2012, 04:06:11 PM
Maybe a tool that records the 'measurements' for a person?

Then you could Tailor (item) (sizing tool) for example. Or Crafters could craft (material) (material) (Item) (sizing Tool) For sizing?

With a period of time in getting the measurements of a person (person must hold still), you could measure (person) while holding the tool. The tool would then keep those measurements until used on someone else?

Example of said tool:

Intricate Measuring Tool

Once opened, the measuring tool appears to have many lengths of cords and colored markers along each one. Some cords measuring ones height, some arm length, inseem, and gurth.

just a thought maybe.

Colors aren't necessarily needed. Number sizes will work, even if tally marks or something similar. Zalanthans understand counting and arithmetic. Otherwise they couldn't pay shops, count change, order enough/not-too-many cords of fabric, etc.

I love the idea, btw.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

July 29, 2012, 05:25:10 PM #9 Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 05:27:59 PM by FantasyWriter
Or just a rope with a bunch of knots or beads along its length.
The below example is of a much more sophisticated idea used in ancient and medieval times, but the tool could be used as a simple measuring device in Zalanthas as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knotted_cord

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arithmetic_rope

http://www.ozarkmedievalfortress.com/en-us/construction/a-rope-with-13-knots
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

I would loooove PC tailoring.  One of the things I didn't like when I was playing a PC merchant was that, despite my merchant being meticulous, I couldn't guarantee the clothing I was delivering would fit.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

This has been discusses several times before and the issue with it would be getting something like this to codedly work. So.... Someone code it and maybe they'll put it in?

Quote from: Tenua on July 30, 2012, 12:29:18 PM
This has been discusses several times before and the issue with it would be getting something like this to codedly work. So.... Someone code it and maybe they'll put it in?

The code is there. Staff can 'tailor' something to fit a PC almost immediately. It is probably more a matter of adapting the existing sizing code or even just making it PC accessible.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on July 30, 2012, 02:13:27 PM
Quote from: Tenua on July 30, 2012, 12:29:18 PM

The code is there. Staff can 'tailor' something to fit a PC almost immediately. It is probably more a matter of adapting the existing sizing code or even just making it PC accessible.

Staff can, sure. They don't have to take into account skill level at all. What happens to the item if you fail? Did you rip it? Even at Master levels you still fail. And fail more often than most would think.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on July 30, 2012, 02:13:27 PM
The code is there. Staff can 'tailor' something to fit a PC almost immediately.

While unrelated, just pointing out that staff can do anything.  It doesn't mean the code is there.  I can change your PC's race from elf to human.  It doesn't mean the code is there for your PC to change races.  We have the ability to edit things, though!  :)
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

July 31, 2012, 04:22:40 PM #15 Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 04:26:47 PM by FantasyWriter
Quote from: Tenua on July 31, 2012, 12:15:50 PM
Staff can, sure. They don't have to take into account skill level at all. What happens to the item if you fail? Did you rip it? Even at Master levels you still fail. And fail more often than most would think.

Well, the NPCs never mess up? ;)  Seriously though, tailoring an existing garment to fit someone in front of you, from my understanding, isn't so much a pass/fail thing as it is a work on it until you get it right thing.
I think it would be better balanced by a -very- long delay with pleanty of time for emoting needle pricks to the the customer and whatnot, rather than a pass/fail roll, for many reasons, one of which is the risk of losing garments which ICly could be replicated by the master tailor working with you, but due to the restrictions of the crafting code cannot.  Also, staff has never thought it relevant enough that tailors might 'mess up and rip a garmnet' to add it to the NPCs.

PS - I would like to see it branch from Tailoring rather than having merchants and tailor subclasses start with it. Anyone can make a shirt out of an empty sack, nto everyone can make it not look like crap when you wear it. ;)

Basically, it is just giving PCs a change do interact with another PC rather than an NPC, which is always good.

Quote from: Nyr on July 31, 2012, 12:49:49 PM
While unrelated, just pointing out that staff can do anything.  It doesn't mean the code is there.  I can change your PC's race from elf to human.  It doesn't mean the code is there for your PC to change races.  We have the ability to edit things, though!  :)

Shows how much I know about MUD coding. :D
Grebber - One who grebs.

Uh, Nyr, the coding for PCs to do it might not be there, but the code is certainly there. In fact, the only code change absolutely required for PCs to do it is a change of permission to object editing. To be plain, the way staff handles these issues is by checking your size, then changing the item size after checking it as well, giving it to you, and saving you (along with the item you've now been given).

Nyr's right in that there's likely no 'fit' command.

But creating the skill would be a simple process beginning to end, assuming that the skill is simply a match_object_size to PC_size.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Lets leave it to the coders to decide how simple a thing is to code, and when is best to do it.

Sure. But I know the basic mechanics required for the skill are in the code already. That's why staff can do everything - it's there to be done. It's a matter of creating the process required to bring it to PC level. Maybe that's not very easy. But for sure, the founding bricks are already there.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

For the benefit of those who don't remember, can someone please mention here, or, post a link to the appropriate post/helpfile, for crafting items from scratch to a desired size?

I ask because I vaguely remember some mention of crafters being able to craft wearable items to different sizes, but I might be mistaken.

Thanks.
The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish, 'Winrothol Tor Fale?'

September 06, 2012, 07:50:43 PM #20 Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 08:23:48 PM by Sephiroto
Not sure what's going on here, but I think most large organizations should have an NPC with the tailor program (or an NPC that will fully dress new personnel in full uniform), with access given to Sergeant-level and above.  Then the leader players could easily get uniform and ordered gear (uniforms and pieces ordered directly from GMH) sized to fit on demand but still be able to force players who get free gear from the supply crate sized the old fashioned way.  Let's face it, uniform gear should come in uniform sizes but currently the only way for sizing to work detracts hours of RL time of enjoyment from the game.  These NPCs exist in game and could be added to clan NPC lists with relatively little work.

As far as crafting an item or tailoring an item to fit another PC goes, that would be tough to do with the current code.  Without a staffer fully dedicated to developing code on a project like this, I wouldn't hold my breath on it.

Edited because I left some words out.

Quote from: Sephiroto on September 06, 2012, 07:50:43 PM
Not sure what's going on here, but I think most large organizations should have an NPC with the tailor program (or an NPC that will fully dress new personnel in full uniform), with access given to Sergeant-level and above.  Then the leader players could easily get uniform and ordered gear (uniforms and pieces ordered directly from GMH) sized to fit on demand but still be able to force players who get free gear from the supply crate sized the old fashioned way.  Let's face it, uniform gear should come in uniform sizes but currently the only way for sizing to work.  These NPCs exist in game and could be added to clan NPC lists with relatively little work.

Yes. YES.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Quote from: Sephiroto on September 06, 2012, 07:50:43 PM
As far as crafting an item or tailoring an item to fit another PC goes, that would be tough to do with the current code.

Yeah....probably not.  Maybe more accurate to say isn't worth the effort in terms of priority, but what was said earlier is relatively true.  If the staff can edit, unless they are manually going into the DB and changing values (please tell me, after all these years, this is not how it is being done.  If so, you really need a tools programmer), there is a function already implemented that handles the editing.  Even if they are manually  editing the data, it is a trivial task to write a function to do it more elegantly. 

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."

-John F. Kennedy

POV: Me.Kadius

>order effeminate follow me.kadius

[me.kadius goes to kadian.tavern]

>tell Lirathan (dipping his head respectfully before flourishing his hand toward ~effeminate) Stefan here will make the finishing touches to your lingerie, Faithful Lady.

POV: Templar

>offer Stefan red.lace.nighty

The effeminate, well-dressed tailor tailor says to you in northern-accented Sirihish,
    "That will take 1 hour and cost 0 coins."

>tailor red.lace.nighty
You give your smexy red lace nighty to the effeminate, well-dressed tailor and he gives you a vellum ticket.

POV: Me.Kadius

>order effeminate pemote gracefully lowering his head, @ begins making the finishing touches to ~smexy.
Grebber - One who grebs.

But isn't is awfully damn silly that you have to go to the bazaar to have that tailoring done?  With the thousands of alterations that must be made each day across numerous clans, it wouldn't surprise me if the larger clans would have contracts with Salarr/Kadius to supply full time workers to mend, tailor, and alter clothing and gear in the clan's work halls.  Nobles above all have the coin to afford this, just like they have their own cooks and servants.

Aside from the practicality of this, the political implications are immense.  Would certain clans want to hire GMH outsiders to work in their armor mending/tailoring work spaces for trust reasons?  GMH's would obviously be interested in this because of the insight they could gather by having eyes and ears statically planted in the common areas of other clans' work compounds.

Another alternative would be business ventures between Borsail (or whoever trains the slaves these days) and the GMHs that results in the slave house training a series slaves under GMH guidance that would, instead, be owned by noble houses rather than hired as described above.  This is something I could see happening as a player-made plot that would be both challenging and constructive to the game.