Spam Of Looks

Started by Kiara, June 28, 2012, 07:19:32 PM

Is it me, or is it every time you walk into a bar, tavern, or some kind of establishment every single active pc types look (insert keyword of pc). From my experience bar's/taverns are crowded with pc's, npc's, vnpc's so to single out one person that just walks into the tavern is pretty poor rp. Depending on where you are in the bar/tavern 'Your' pc might not even have a clear view of the doorway/archway etc. So -why- do people continue to do this? Just thought I'd throw this out there.
The man wears his heavy war-saddle on his back, covering a tattoo

Crawling up on all fours, the man sits on a sturdy bed

The man sends you a telepathic message:
     "Alright, you got to tame a wild one today."

Because we don't know if there is something remarkable about how you look or not. If you look nondescript and walk into a bar then your theory holds true. If you walk into a crowded bar but have mutated green skin and are wielding a giant, flame-engulfed broadsword, however, we would probably take notice. Unfortunately, there is no way to tell this without looking at you. So you get looked at.
<SanveanArmageddon> d00d
---
[Laeris] (11:52:53 AM): If penicillin started spilling out of your butt, what would you do with it?

Yep, what the others said. There's things that may be so noticeable it would get people's attention but you can't tell if you don't look to get that information. Like walking in naked, topless, a pair of horns growing out of your tits, etc.

I try to resist it myself, trying only looking at people I have some reason to be interested in (looking to talk to/beat down, etc). Trying to remember where my PC is and whether he'd see someone come in is also a game I play with myself.

If you're entering a tavern and your PC has some reason to look exceptional (naked, on fire, etc) I urge you to throw up an emote when you come in. Have some fun with it and prevent a bit of look spam, hopefully.

But really, when you think about it..there could be hundreds of people in those bars and you think every single person can be seen in that bar? I don't think so. It's like going to a club. You wont be able to see everyone. Naked or not, and if someone looks interesting ok then I give that to you as to why you'd look. But there is a chance that you wont see everyone that walks through that door.

Quote from: Kiara on June 28, 2012, 07:26:33 PM
But really, when you think about it..there could be hundreds of people in those bars and you think every single person can be seen in that bar? I don't think so. It's like going to a club. You wont be able to see everyone. Naked or not, and if someone looks interesting ok then I give that to you as to why you'd look. But there is a chance that you wont see everyone that walks through that door.

If someone walks in naked, the npcs, vnpcs, and others would respond and the talk of it and looks would get everyone's attention toward that person. The only way to find out if this is necessary is with a look to see. Just because someone uses the coded look command on you doesn't mean their character is actually staring you down and examining you. It's one thing in the game that is both ic and ooc, imo. You have to use the look command to find out -if- your character would notice something about them or not that you can't tell from just the sdesc alone but should be obviously noticeable.

What gets under my skin a little is when people make it a point to include you in an emote in which they RP -not- noticing you.

Not noticing you, this guy looks the other way.
"People survive by climbing over anyone who gets in their way, by cheating, stealing, killing, swindling, or otherwise taking advantage of others."
-Ginka

"Don't do this. I can't believe I have to write this post."
-Rathustra

I used to have an issue with this, but over time I let it go.

I would chalk it up to playability and interaction. If we're going to play the "there's hundreds of vnpcs in here!' game, then no one would really be interacting with anyone.

"Can I buy you a drink!?"
(The roar of hundreds of people talking at once)
"WHAT!?!"
"CAN I BUY YOU A DR- Fuck it, I am going to spam crafting."

People look at other people, when I see a PC I've never seen before, I want to look at them. Even if it's only to say, "Hey, nice necklace. I'm blah, blah blah.." because that's how conversations get started, or think to myself, "Wow, that's a Gemmed. I thought this was a -nice- tavern." etc. Without looking, you never know, and you miss on the opportunity, it might be an irritation, but I truly don't think it's going anywhere.

This is on the cycle of GDB posts. Yes people look at everyone. Yes that's fine. No you don't need to react to it abnormally. PCs mainly interact with PCs. VNPCs mainly interact with VNPCs. It's perfectly fine if someone notices you across the bar. Yes that happens in real life. No, Synthesis, we don't want to hear about your approach code right now. Yes it's okay to wear a hood in a bar.

I think I covered it.

Quote from: Kalai on June 28, 2012, 07:21:26 PM
In case you're stark naked.
Done this on a Salarri before. Held a conversation with two Tuluki nobles in the Sanc while hemoting about being naked and -carrying- her clothes for about 20 mins before someone animated the bartender to kick my PC out.

LOOK is important!  ;)
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

I'll bet they felt like idiots for not noticing the naked person they were talking to. Lol.

Well given the behavior of those two nobles thereafter I'm sure that incident was the least embarrassing on their record.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Quote from: Is Friday on June 28, 2012, 07:34:25 PM
Quote from: Kalai on June 28, 2012, 07:21:26 PM
In case you're stark naked.
Done this on a Salarri before. Held a conversation with two Tuluki nobles in the Sanc while hemoting about being naked and -carrying- her clothes for about 20 mins before someone animated the bartender to kick my PC out.

LOOK is important!  ;)

This is pretty damn win.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Look just needs to be an hemote instead of a normal echo. So people won't freak about it.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

June 28, 2012, 07:50:14 PM #15 Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 08:05:06 PM by Harmless
May I advertise ass -v in this thread?

ass -v gives you: age, height, weight, gender, race (sort of), and whether they're armed or not, and whether they're tired or not or bleeding and wounded or not. That is a lot of information, and it all comes in the form of a hemote that most of the time goes unnoticed.

There you go.

edit: As for all of you clamoring for look being an hemote: only in taverns, does the spam does get annoying. Only in taverns. (and big social events)

Anywhere else? You don't want look to be an hemote, truuuuust me. (you might want it to be an hemote now, but sooomeday... you'll grow out of your little carebear shell and decide you'd LIKE to know when someone is pointing their pearly orbs at you.)

For your specific request to be heeded, it would require a context-based hemote-form of look that is, I guarantee you, too hard to code.

You know what?

Be the change you wanna see. I'm tired of people clamoring for code changes on the GDB as if all the riotous posts is going to get them somewhere. Yeah, it worked once with quit-safe rooms, but just because you want every little thing changed doesn't mean you'll get it, and especially not if you keep spamming posts in threads to bump them.

You don't like look spam? Don't look spam. Fuck, when I'm in crowded areas I sure as shit don't look at everybody. If I do look at everyone, I do it over a LONG period of time, spacing out my looks. I don't give a shit and neither does my PC and that's how it's gonna be pretty much for all of em. Even a naked person, who cares. Half these taverns have naked prostitutes in them anyway. Unless you're talking to me or getting in my business, I don't care.

However, if not everyone follows this advice, I don't care either. Spam happens for a lot of reasons in this game, you learn to deal with it.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Quote from: musashi on June 28, 2012, 07:44:06 PM
Look just needs to be an hemote instead of a normal echo. So people won't freak about it.

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH THIS!!

June 28, 2012, 07:53:40 PM #17 Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 07:56:29 PM by A Large Bag

I agree. It's just too necessary and newbies almost always freak about it. This one always cracks me up:

>look newbie

Main desc blah blah
Gear blah blah

Sounding pissy, newbie says: What the fuck are you looking at?!

Me: My next victim.

Quote from: A Large Bag on June 28, 2012, 07:53:40 PM

I agree. It's just too necessary and newbies almost always freak about it.

Um..I'm far from being a newbie but I find it very irritating that 90% of pc's as soon as you walk into a room type "Look". 

Quote from: Kiara on June 28, 2012, 07:55:45 PM

Um..I'm far from being a newbie but I find it very irritating that 90% of pc's as soon as you walk into a room type "Look". 

My mistake. Usually the veterans understand the reason for it and have no problem with it. It's usually the newbies complaining about look.

Quote from: A Large Bag on June 28, 2012, 07:57:43 PM

My mistake. Usually the veterans understand the reason for it and have no problem with it. It's usually the newbies complaining about look.

It's basicly most of them don't care anymore because this is something that will never change. I've been playing arm for well over 12 years and it still bugs me.

On everybody looking at you when you enter:

• As said, this is the only way to tell if you're naked or holding a giant flaming sword
  • Are you actively emoting about being lost in the vNPC crowd? If you're not, and it matters to you, try that.
  • Finally, if you really want to be lost in the vNPC crowd, that's what the hide skill is for.

On emoting about ignoring people:

• Being unaware of people is a valid thing, and emoting that to show so makes sense
  • The player knows you're there, and it's a way to show that they're active and are reacting to you - If they don't do this, you don't know if they're intentionally ignoring you, unintentionally ignoring you, or if the player even saw you in their screen scroll

On being naked and hemoting:

Quote from: hemote helpfileHidden emotes should be used to represent subtle motions that wouldn't
be obvious to the room you are in.  Only those who are actively watching you,
or who are very observant will notice these.

• Being naked is REALLY OBVIOUS, and shouldn't take someone who is incredibly observant to notice
  • What possible IC rational could someone give for something this obvious? If you're naked, it's your duty to EMOTE about it.
As of February 2017, I no longer play Armageddon.

Quote from: Kiara on June 28, 2012, 07:59:30 PM
Quote from: A Large Bag on June 28, 2012, 07:57:43 PM

It's basicly most of them don't care anymore because this is something that will never change. I've been playing arm for well over 12 years and it still bugs me.

Noone said that was the reason for it. Or if anyone did, it wasn't "most" of them. In fact "most" have told you it was necessary and gave you the reasons for it.

Quote from: Kiara on June 28, 2012, 07:51:56 PM

Even though people would still spam look? ;)
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Quote from: boog on June 28, 2012, 08:17:48 PM
Quote from: Kiara on June 28, 2012, 07:51:56 PM

Even though people would still spam look? ;)

:D Yeah I though spam looking at people was unrealistic. Clearly the only option here is to remove the look command.