Spam Of Looks

Started by Kiara, June 28, 2012, 07:19:32 PM

Quote from: boog on June 28, 2012, 08:17:48 PM
Quote from: Kiara on June 28, 2012, 07:51:56 PM
Quote from: musashi on June 28, 2012, 07:44:06 PM
Look just needs to be an hemote instead of a normal echo. So people won't freak about it.

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH THIS!!

Even though people would still spam look? ;)

(very amused expression) Yes, because you wouldn't get the spam saying -Blah looks at you-..cute though boog, very very cute. Now I know why I like you. (smile)
The man wears his heavy war-saddle on his back, covering a tattoo

Crawling up on all fours, the man sits on a sturdy bed

The man sends you a telepathic message:
     "Alright, you got to tame a wild one today."

Quote from: Kiara on June 28, 2012, 07:19:32 PM
Is it me, or is it every time you walk into a bar, tavern, or some kind of establishment every single active pc types look (insert keyword of pc). From my experience bar's/taverns are crowded with pc's, npc's, vnpc's so to single out one person that just walks into the tavern is pretty poor rp. Depending on where you are in the bar/tavern 'Your' pc might not even have a clear view of the doorway/archway etc. So -why- do people continue to do this? Just thought I'd throw this out there.

Because the players behind the characters want to see what your character looks like....so they can better imagine the scene as a whole. :/
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Quote from: Maso on June 28, 2012, 08:22:58 PM
Is it me, or is it every time you walk into a bar, tavern, or some kind of establishment every single active pc types look (insert keyword of pc). From my experience bar's/taverns are crowded with pc's, npc's, vnpc's so to single out one person that just walks into the tavern is pretty poor rp. Depending on where you are in the bar/tavern 'Your' pc might not even have a clear view of the doorway/archway etc. So -why- do people continue to do this? Just thought I'd throw this out there.

Because the players behind the characters want to see what your character looks like....so they can better imagine the scene as a whole. :/

Isn't that he whole point of a sdesc? So that you get a general idea of what the person looks like.
The man wears his heavy war-saddle on his back, covering a tattoo

Crawling up on all fours, the man sits on a sturdy bed

The man sends you a telepathic message:
     "Alright, you got to tame a wild one today."

Googly-eyed people (2005) -- some good discussion on the matter

Quote from: Barzalene on August 10, 2006, 09:28:39 AM
i used to be really really careful about not looking at people unless my pc had a reason to check them out. Lately, not so much.  I mean I could adjust my behavior to preserve your rp experience taking into account that you (you being the general you, not to op) have a thing about being looked at and not look. But I find that I'm doing so at the expense of my own rp experience. You miss a lot not looking at people. I'm not memorizing your ldescs. I'm just taking in the main stuff.

So, I can adjust my behavior and not know if I'm standing next to a six eyed four eared mutant with a cleaver, or you (general you again) can get past it and stop imagining that I've climbed up on your feet to stare into your eyes.

'Look' and much gnashing of teeth (2009) -- more good discussion about it

Quote from: LoD on June 30, 2009, 11:48:36 AM
The look command is an exchange in information.  

You give me your main description and visible equipment so that I can make a determination for how my character might want to react to your physical appearance, possible mutations, visible tattoos or scars, choice of dress, obvious clan trappings, foreign or domestic items, and the state of your being.

I give you an indication that my character is being actively played, that I have a cursory interest in your character, and that I might be interested in some kind of interaction so that you can make a determination on whether you want to check me out in return, whether your character wants to make a response, pursue some interaction, or ignore me altogether.

What both sides choose to do with this information is entirely up to them, but I think it's important that the information continues to be passed -- whether it's handling messages that are IC, OOC, or both.

-LoD

The second link eventually gets into other areas like expanding assess to include information that might be more noticeable (in other threads/derails).
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Quote from: Kiara on June 28, 2012, 08:25:59 PM
Quote from: Maso on June 28, 2012, 08:22:58 PM

Isn't that he whole point of a sdesc? So that you get a general idea of what the person looks like.

It's really not satisfactory. There's plenty of things that may be mentioned in an mdesc or equipment worn that could be something a player might choose that their character would notice or respond to.

Get used to it.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

June 28, 2012, 08:37:23 PM #30 Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 08:57:00 PM by Karieith
I am failing to see the issue and problem here? I don't see how looking at someone or being looked at is a big deal.

I do not mind when people look at my characters when they go places. Sometimes I put a lot of work into their mdescs and it sends a warm feeling to the cockles of my heart to see others observing it and hopefully reading and envisioning it.

Not only that, but looking at a PC is seriously the quickest and easiest way to ensure you'll greet them the proper way. There is no other way to discern a PCs rank short of overhearing someone else speaking to them. If I don't look at Chosen Lord/Lady Hardnose and just say "Oh hey sup." I am going to have a really bad day.

Players and their characters need to look at your PC to know how we're going to need to interact with you. Looking at someone is the only way to know their status. It's necessary, and as far as I am aware, harmless.

Look saves lives and faces!
Tuluki Noble Aide X has just spent several OOC hours wining and dining Sexy Sdesced Fme in hopes of raunchy emoted mudsex in a unique location (in the known world and perhaps in the Fme ;)) for the sole purpose of amusing Calavera. Only once Aide X starts doing the deed does Aide X finally look at the Fme and notices that while the Fme does have a rocking mdesc, they are uninked and southron and oh nooooesss.

Now Aide X has to backstab the Fme a different way. This could all have been prevented (or expedited) if they had just looked.

Templars at least have their Templarness in the sdesc. Be nice if nobles did too.

Also if you're personally getting look-spammed, you're probably just too damn sexy. Meow.

Just because I look at you doesn't mean I give a shit.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

June 28, 2012, 08:56:12 PM #33 Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 08:59:44 PM by Karieith
Quote from: BadSkeelz on June 28, 2012, 08:40:19 PM
Templars at least have their Templarness in the sdesc. Be nice if nobles did too.

I know that, it was just an example meh! EDITED TO BE A NOBLE BECAUSE SOME PEOPLE.  >:(

Quote from: BadSkeelz on June 28, 2012, 08:40:19 PM
Also if you're personally getting look-spammed, you're probably just too damn sexy. Meow.

Don't I know it! Fmes don't make themselves y'know.  8)

...Not that I think my current character is a fme... I'm not sure where the boundary is! It's all very subjective.

I believe the fme boundary is passed when a mdesc describes a bust in more than one sentence, or musculature and/or physical details with greater than two adjectives at least twice.

I want to kidnap a Templar, strip them naked, and toss them into the desert. See how obvious their templar-ness is then.

Also, because the above situation doesn't happen quite so often, I think the templar sdescs are fine. Nobles, too, are fine, I think. There's no way for your pale-skinned, northen bard to find out if that guy is a merchant or a southern noble(no silver star) until your limbs are being torn apart at meleths for not bowing.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

There are ways to tell if nobles are nobles, especially in the south.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Just use your client to gag looks at you and you're all set.

Quote from: Synthesis on June 28, 2012, 08:44:57 PM
Just because I look at you doesn't mean I give a shit.

This is pure Zalanthas.   :)

Quote from: Taven on June 28, 2012, 08:02:04 PM
On being naked and hemoting:

Quote from: hemote helpfileHidden emotes should be used to represent subtle motions that wouldn't
be obvious to the room you are in.  Only those who are actively watching you,
or who are very observant will notice these.

• Being naked is REALLY OBVIOUS, and shouldn't take someone who is incredibly observant to notice
  • What possible IC rational could someone give for something this obvious? If you're naked, it's your duty to EMOTE about it.
It was Tuluk. My PC was being subtle.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Quote from: boog on June 28, 2012, 09:09:16 PM
There are ways to tell if nobles are nobles, especially in the south.

There is, sure there is, but then again, people from either city wouldn't know the customs of the other place, or so I figure. It's how I RP it to be, anyway, since the awkwardness of such things is awful fun.

Here's a thought, if its so crowded that you feel you would not be noticed, then perhaps you should not notice being looked at.

I think perhaps you could play it either way, and simply pretend you don't notice being noticed. It's really hard for someone to judge who should or should not notice -what- in the case of public meeting places and being looked at, IMHO.

I'd just roll with it, personally.
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

Quote from: The Lonely Hunter on June 28, 2012, 07:32:41 PM
What gets under my skin a little is when people make it a point to include you in an emote in which they RP -not- noticing you.

Not noticing you, this guy looks the other way.

I think this is actually hugely polite, RPing not noticing someone. There's a difference between ignoring a player and ignoring a character.

In a tavern only one at the bar:

A burly man arrives from the north.

A burly man walks north.

That annoys me more than:

A burly man arrives from the north.

Clearly in a hurry, a burly man scans over the patrons. Evidently failing to see something to catch his interest, he ducks back out.

A burly man walks north.

At least in the latter example, I'm worth an emote from player to player even if I'm not worth acknowledgement from character to character.

I do not mind people looking at me when I walk into the room. I do mind when people "chase" after me across multiple rooms, just to catch a look, and then leave without any emote. I could understand it, the person is actively looking for someone and does not have time. But it still feels meh.

Quote from: Patuk on June 28, 2012, 09:07:39 PM
I want to kidnap a Templar, strip them naked, and toss them into the desert. See how obvious their templar-ness is then.

Also, because the above situation doesn't happen quite so often, I think the templar sdescs are fine. Nobles, too, are fine, I think. There's no way for your pale-skinned, northen bard to find out if that guy is a merchant or a southern noble(no silver star) until your limbs are being torn apart at meleths for not bowing.

A Templar PC has a normal sdesc. The robe adds the Templar to the end of their sdesc in place of the last word. Typically man or woman.

So yeah, stripping a Templar PC naked would already make them look normal. It's been coded.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: musashi on June 28, 2012, 10:16:39 PM
Quote from: Patuk on June 28, 2012, 09:07:39 PM

A Templar PC has a normal sdesc. The robe adds the Templar to the end of their sdesc in place of the last word. Typically man or woman.

So yeah, stripping a Templar PC naked would already make them look normal. It's been coded.

.. Ahh. Ahah. Hah. Ha. Heeh.. Oh, the possibilities. That is -amazing-, it is.

Yes. The man with no hair can in fact become ...

The man with no templar.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: musashi on June 28, 2012, 10:26:18 PM
Yes. The man with no hair can in fact become ...

The man with no templar.

>.> Apping that.
It'll be rejected, though

I bet it's just coded to cover young man/woman, man/woman, youth etc, not the end clause of a sdesc.

Well, if you use an sdesc, you have to use man/woman/descriptor. Templar doesn't work! At least, it never has when I've done it, since, the ... robe, you know.

contact the.stinky.templar
NO

contact the.stinky.woman
YES!
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

You just assume my character isn't looking at everyone that enters.  Just because it doesn't echo  ::)

Mostly it's about the equ list.  My character would definitely notice if you had <insert clan cloak or noble signet here>, which is not something that shows up in an sdesc but would be noticed and might instigate appropriate roleplay.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Meh. My only response to this is to not take the look command so literally.

Don't assume people are blankly staring at you when you enter a room.

A lot of this issue would probably vanish if the 'Look Command' was made a hemote if left without emotes but a normal emote if (emote) or [emote] was attached.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.