Masks/Facewraps

Started by titansfan, June 28, 2012, 03:55:39 PM

I trust people to recognize or not recognize someone with an mdesc than I trust people to realistically betray who they are while wearing an anonymizing mask doing bad stuff.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on June 28, 2012, 04:12:24 PM
Quote from: Yam on June 28, 2012, 04:09:10 PM
Quote from: Nyr on June 28, 2012, 04:08:38 PM
Quote from: RogueGunslinger on June 28, 2012, 04:06:04 PM
The thing that bothers me about this is that there ARE mdesc covering masks in the game.

citation needed

They got changed ages ago.

Personally saw it on a Kuraci(pretty sure) member about 3-4 months ago. Don't have logs though. It didn't make the mdesc go away so much as it replaced it with a description of the mask. The mask had the Kuraci(definitely some clan) insignia on it so it was clearly a clan item.
I have definitely seen this too.

June 28, 2012, 04:50:29 PM #27 Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 04:52:40 PM by RogueGunslinger
Quote from: Yam on June 28, 2012, 04:47:45 PM
I trust people to recognize or not recognize someone with an mdesc than I trust people to realistically betray who they are while wearing an anonymizing mask doing bad stuff.

Sure but this assumes a masked person is doing bad things around people who know them well. Something I'd think happens a lot less often than a masked person doing bad things around people who doesn't know them well.

But now I can see where particular abuse could come in. For people wanting to specifically hide who they are from people who know them well. I think people like this should be slapped down if they aren't offering clues and hints to who they are in a realistic fashion.

I don't. I used to. I've lost nearly every character that I've tried not to be recognized with due to someone using my main desc to identify me perfectly. I've also seen it happen to others as well even though I was trying to rp not knowing for sure or at all if they were the same person and others insisting upon recognizing them perfectly. Pretty much every case resulted in death or that character's life being otherwise destroyed.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on June 28, 2012, 04:50:29 PM
But now I can see where particular abuse could come in. For people wanting to specifically hide who they are from people who know them well. I think people like this should be slapped down if they aren't offering clues and hints to who they are in a realistic fashion.

Agreed.

June 28, 2012, 04:54:41 PM #30 Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 04:57:54 PM by Yam
We have very different experiences then.

And if you really think it was the case of people unrealistically using your mdesc to hunt you down, file a player complaint. That's what they are there for.

Quote from: Case on June 28, 2012, 04:48:05 PM
The thing that bothers me about this is that there ARE mdesc covering masks in the game.

citation needed

Personally saw it on a Kuraci(pretty sure) member about 3-4 months ago. Don't have logs though. It didn't make the mdesc go away so much as it replaced it with a description of the mask. The mask had the Kuraci(definitely some clan) insignia on it so it was clearly a clan item.

Okay, I'll bite.  Please put in a request with the sdesc of the offending item.  I'll track it down.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

A solution:

Wear your hood up. When you meet someone, say, "If I catch you looking at me, I am going to cut your throat out."

If they look at you, kill them.
<SanveanArmageddon> d00d
---
[Laeris] (11:52:53 AM): If penicillin started spilling out of your butt, what would you do with it?

Quote from: A Large Bag on June 28, 2012, 04:52:42 PM

I don't. I used to. I've lost nearly every character that I've tried not to be recognized with due to someone using my main desc to identify me perfectly. I've also seen it happen to others as well even though I was trying to rp not knowing for sure or at all if they were the same person and others insisting upon recognizing them perfectly. Pretty much every case resulted in death or that character's life being otherwise destroyed.

Pretty much how I've seen it happen every time. Though sometimes it's done somewhat realistically "Oh, I recognize the scuff in his boots! This is definitely him."

Quote from: Nyr on June 28, 2012, 04:55:04 PM

citation needed

Okay, I'll bite.  Please put in a request with the sdesc of the offending item.  I'll track it down.

I'm not sure the sdesc. Anything I can offer would be incredibly vague. Possibly a red-eyed falcon? That's whats popping into my head. I only got a brief look once and it was a while ago. I can tell you for sure that the item is certainly a clan item. And am almost positive it's Kuraci. Is this level of vagueness worthy of putting in a request? Under what should I file it?

Quote from: Samoa on June 28, 2012, 05:00:26 PM
A solution:

Wear your hood up. When you meet someone, say, "If I catch you looking at me, I am going to cut your throat out."

There are much better ways currently in game that don't rely on the other person. None of which feel realistic while doing them. And sometimes you don't want to kill off all your targets. Sometimes you just need them to not know who you are.

A solution:

Wear your hood up. When you meet someone, say, "If I catch you looking at me, I am going to give you the time of your life."

If they look at you, mudsex them.
I think this is more appropriate to IC conflict, since player death is not something we're aiming for in this MUD.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

A solution:

Problem:

'if you look at me i will kill you

vs

l figure

is 34 characters vs 8 characters, so you'd have to be able to type at least 4x faster than your victim in order for you to get that out before they looked at you, or you'd have to have it macroed.  Also, difficulty is actually being able to kill the target under the circumstances, which is usually rather difficult once you've already made your presence known.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

citation needed

Sent.

I know there was at least one mdesc covering item, a hat. My character had it but never used it, and after some communication with staff, it got changed into a regular sdesc-hiding item. About that time, a character I interacted with developed a sudden interest in hats, and very much wanted to buy my fancy hat.

I gave it to them for a reasonably cheap sum, and they seemed to think I was crazy.

I still wish I could have seen their face when they put it on and typed in >l me.

I love how I just caused for more mdesc covering items to be removed. Working against what my end goal was. Such is life.

June 28, 2012, 05:17:22 PM #40 Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 05:19:25 PM by Cerelum
Quote from: Is Friday on June 28, 2012, 05:03:04 PM
A solution:

Wear your hood up. When you meet someone, say, "If I catch you looking at me, I am going to give you the time of your life."

If they look at you, mudsex them.
I think this is more appropriate to IC conflict, since player death by PCs is not something we're aiming for in this MUD.
Fixed that.  Because I can't even tell you how many characters I've lost to wildlife.  I can still count on my hands how many I've lost to PCs

Probably the most annoying thing about mdesc hiding equipment is, and you can see this in the covetous way we refer to the items of yore, that we would all be fucking wearing them all the time non stop and the 'rinth would be more ridiculous than a Victorian masked ball.

Quote from: Yam on June 28, 2012, 05:17:30 PM
Probably the most annoying thing about mdesc hiding equipment is, and you can see this in the covetous way we refer to the items of yore, that we would all be fucking wearing them all the time non stop and the 'rinth would be more ridiculous than a Victorian masked ball.

lol, QFT.

Make the masks quasi-magickal and if they don't remove them within a reasonable amount of time, their face gets stuck that way.

Imagine trying to get a job at a house.

WAY: Hi I was interested in your hunter position.

WAY RECEIVED: Excellent, meet me at the bar.

The amethyst-eyed falcon masked man walks in and up to the bar.
"Hi I'm here for the job interview."
The normal employer says, "Okay, start by taking that mask off."
masked man says, "I can't, it's stuck."
employer, "Thanks for your time, good luck!"

Quote from: Cerelum on June 28, 2012, 05:25:19 PM
Make the masks quasi-magickal and if they don't remove them within a reasonable amount of time, their face gets stuck that way.

I actually support this idea 100%

Quote from: Case on June 28, 2012, 05:07:36 PM

Sent.

It doesn't actually do what you say it does.  Either it has been changed since then (rightfully so--or at least I'd hope so) or there must have been some kind of bug. 

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on June 28, 2012, 05:02:32 PM
I'm not sure the sdesc. Anything I can offer would be incredibly vague. Possibly a red-eyed falcon? That's whats popping into my head. I only got a brief look once and it was a while ago. I can tell you for sure that the item is certainly a clan item. And am almost positive it's Kuraci. Is this level of vagueness worthy of putting in a request?

Probably not.  :(
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Beneath the blurb concerning the person's condition, add a blurb noting that the person is masked. This puts the onus on the victim to rp correctly. I know there are lots of times I don't notice a person has a facewrap or mask on.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

If there was code to recognize that someone is masked, it could be paired with code to support a disguise-type skill that would hide someone's mdesc.  It could branch off of something that takes a while to get up there.  Would make it so that 0-day nubz aren't running around abusing an easily accessible item, so that an ability to disguise their way of walking/holding themselves/etc could be accounted for, and so that a limited quantity of people would have it so that it would be easier to watch for abuse.

But I'm sure something like that is probably already around the GDB somewhere (found one!) so I'm not going to develop it too much personally.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Quote from: valeria on June 28, 2012, 05:52:25 PM
If there was code to recognize that someone is masked, it could be paired with code to support a disguise-type skill that would hide someone's mdesc.  It could branch off of something that takes a while to get up there.  Would make it so that 0-day nubz aren't running around abusing an easily accessible item, so that an ability to disguise their way of walking/holding themselves/etc could be accounted for, and so that a limited quantity of people would have it so that it would be easier to watch for abuse.

But I'm sure something like that is probably already around the GDB somewhere (found one!) so I'm not going to develop it too much personally.

give a way for law enforcement to actually do their job if you are gonna give criminals the ultimate power of not being catchable unless their victim beats their ass
Love's the only war worth dying for.
Build me up to knock me down, I'm all yours.

The law doesn't have to work 100% of the time. Not every criminal needs to be punished.