Avoiding PCs in favor of survival?

Started by Creslin, June 21, 2012, 06:18:51 PM

Quote from: Synthesis on June 29, 2012, 05:43:43 PM
Well...I'm kind of working under the assumption that, for you and me, and presumably Dakota (bolded), it actually -isn't- that difficult to obtain...because y'know...it isn't.

You assume wrong.

When someone say "raiding can be fun" and then use an example involving poison, what they are really saying is "raiding can be fun if you use this poison."  It's a logical implication...

No. That wasn't what I was implying across raiding in general. I can post more logs of (-most of my raids in fact-) poisonless, spam-kill-less raids. I just made the mistake of posting in this thread and then adding the cunty "more to spare line".. which derailed everything and got you in an uproar.

The point was to post something to hopefully encourage anyone whose new or hasn't played a raider before, to actually try to RP for the benefit of your PC and the one thats getting raided.. Than let the whole thing fall into code.

And yes poison, to a point, lets it fall into code.. So then do it w.o poison. Do it however you want.

What I am saying is that this does not occur frequently, it does not occur often, it does not occur regularly--it occurs once in a god damn blue moon, and all you people want to do is take those blue moon scenarios (some of which aren't even blue moon scenarios, since they're "special") and hold them up like it's a fucking counterpoint.  It's not a counterpoint!  It's the rare exception that shows us how awesome -every- scenario could be, if we'd get off our asses and stop being content about how shitty the code is.

See above.

And I'm done.
Czar of City Elves.

Oh I get it now .. Synth is lobbying for the approach code again  :P
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

It's a difficult damn subject to be truthful.

On one side you need the code because it's the absolute equalizer and stops the age old arguement of make belief, "I shot you first!" "Nutuh!" "I did so!" that you run into in MUSH type games.

But on the otherside it is SO absolute that it doesn't leave much in terms of flavor or style to an interaction and the sheer speed of how fast the shit hits the fan can leave the player feeling cheated.

I'm thinking that when someone comes up with a system that allows the expressionism that people want from thought out, emoted exchanges.  That ALSO stops someone from avoiding it all together by spam running away.  That system will be the most popular mudding system in the world.

It's already been done well, elsewhere.  Unfortunately, that game is saddled with a bunch of other problems that completely overwhelm the utility of its approach and grid systems.

As far as I'm concerned, I'll just continue doing what I do:  if I don't really care about successfully killing you or taking your stuff, I'll sidle up and emote and play nice; if you need to be dead, it's macro time.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on June 30, 2012, 02:44:35 PM
It's already been done well, elsewhere.  Unfortunately, that game is saddled with a bunch of other problems that completely overwhelm the utility of its approach and grid systems.

As far as I'm concerned, I'll just continue doing what I do:  if I don't really care about successfully killing you or taking your stuff, I'll sidle up and emote and play nice; if you need to be dead, it's macro time.
The approach grids and placement in room systems are fine and good until people twink out whatever skill causes them to be able to leap across 100 feet of room the fastest.  Then you have my character who is standing near the northeast corner, still getting ganked by yours that came in the southeastern corner due to you spending a month or two running back and forth for that express reason.

*facepalm*

I'm not getting into the details of proper implementation of such a system.  Suffice it to say that coding of such a skill is not a necessary condition of the overarching system.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

A weapon or a shield is always out when I'm in a lawless area.

That being said, it depends on my pc. Some of my PC's bolt, some stick around, some start a fight. And some tell the other person to screw off before I start a fight. (The last one has gotten me killed a couple times, but that's part of the fun too)
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

+1 to anyone who sticks around and shares an emote, or stacks on some extremely expressive movement commands.

I played a mul who had to be all like, "It's not rape if you say SURPRISE!!" if he wanted to have a chat and essentially charged into people's locations to get interaction with them.

If he announced himself before he approached another player's room or they saw him coming - they were -gone-.

Understandable, but may have left the character lonely, moody and unstable.
Anonymous:  I don't get why magickers are so amazingly powerful in Arm.

Anonymous:  I mean... the concept of making one class completely dominating, and able to crush any other class after 5 days of power-playing, seems ridiculous to me.

July 09, 2012, 07:45:45 PM #58 Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 09:11:18 PM by Dresan
Quote from: Hot_Dancer on July 09, 2012, 06:37:44 PM
+1 to anyone who sticks around and shares an emote, or stacks on some extremely expressive movement commands.

Fuck that! I love my PCs way too much.

I'm totally okay with someone charging me and attacking me emote-less or saying something incomprehensible (often a spell directed at you anyways) which has me me trying to figure out what is going on half the time before they sudden attack. However, the only thing  i hope is that my attacker can  understand that my heart is beating very fast as i type in mount;e;e;e;e;e;SHOUT FUUUUUUUUUU!!

I have, in the past, -not- run away from PC's in the wilds...and usually it's led to some interesting RP and no death (most of the time they are just as scared as you). But I will usually take a look at someone first...If they look evil and they're wielding a big ass weapon then I'll just run...which is exactly what my character would do.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

l s
[Very Far]
The unbridled bastard is charging towards the north!
[Far]
Nothing.
[Near]
Nothing.

Hm. That could be...

l s
[Very Far]
Nothing.
[Far]
[Near]
Nothing.

Nah. He's probably just running from a raptor.

l s
[Very Far]
Nothing.
[Far]
Nothing.
[Near]

I don't see any raptors... OH HE'S PRO-

The unbridled bastard has arrived from the south.

The unbridled bastard nearly falls over, bleeding from numerous cuts.

The unbridled bastard says to you, in pleading sirihish:
      "'Ey, Ah need some help. Mah mate just found out I was cheatin' on her with a gortok!"

TL;DR

Never know what you're gonna miss.

I hope for interaction in the wilds..its the best part of the game.  Its good rp to get robbed or have a stand off.  I understand the other side though playing the scared PC.  I usually play half elfs pretty timid. Certain characters are scared of everything of course they bolt at any moment.  Uhh, its getting late I am having to edit out swear words.  I prefer the areas where it is unrestrained.  Where anything can happen.  If you walk in and hit me with no emote of course you get what you asked for either combat or flee;e;e;e;e;e.
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

If you see someone running towards you with a weapon out in a lawless area, and they're not an NPC, then give them the chance to talk to you. I've had plenty of times when you just have your weapon out 'cuz you're being careful about the area. I mean- Why ever sheathe your weapon in the middle of the Grey?

I can escape most people, so I generally don't run away.

If anything, I run towards the danger.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

If I see someone running towards me, I look to where they have run from.

Quote from: solera on July 18, 2012, 01:20:45 AM
If I see someone running towards me, I look to where they have run from.

That seems awfully dangerous.

Maxim 2: A Sergeant in motion outranks a Lieutenant who doesn't know what's going on.
Maxim 3: An ordnance technician at a dead run outranks everybody.

Replace an ordinance technician with a guy who's bleeding profusely and running past you without emotes.

Quote from: MeTekillot on July 18, 2012, 01:50:40 AM
Maxim 2: A Sergeant in motion outranks a Lieutenant who doesn't know what's going on.
Maxim 3: An ordnance technician at a dead run outranks everybody.

Replace an ordinance technician with a guy who's bleeding profusely and running past you without emotes.

Or those halflings.

July 18, 2012, 09:53:22 AM #69 Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 09:56:39 AM by kayza
I tend to TRY to follow this logic if playing a char that would run.

When I stay
1.  If my char is not currently moving for whatever reason and someone walks/runs/rides in they are getting an emote.
2.  I pass by a char that gives me an IC reason to stop.  Like a long desc or something.   Not something as silly as the guy sits here to pounce on anyone who walks by.  But something.. even having a tent up or doing something to act like I would possible go up to them.  Even if their plan might be to kill.

When I run
1.  If my char is already moving and I enter a room that someone is just standing there and there is no IC reason my char would stop.
2.  My char sees you through code, such as watch or look.  Not scan unless there are no VNPC.  Unless there is an ldesc yet again.
3.  You are using some code to force the situation on my char.   I will use code to prevent it.  Though I'll stop entering in flee after a few failed attempts.

And in terms of the of avoiding RP to live another 5 days...
I'm sorry you are not the only person I RP with.  If you are playing a raider or scary type char and you are mad because some people run away from you.... That just seems silly.
:-)

It is not so much that the raider or scary char gets mad, or even the player for that matter.

It just forces them to resort to coded methods that have a far greater chance at causing death.

When I played Lash/Howls, I had a scene that looked like this.

l n
[Very Far]
A man is here foraging.
[Far]
Nothing.
[Near]
Nothing.

You think. A mark...Oh wait, that guy always runs.

e
draw bow
get arrow with no run poison
w

l n
[Very Far]
A man is here foraging.
[Far]
Nothing.
[Near]
Nothing.

watch north

shoot man north

To the north you see an arrow fly in from the south striking the man in the neck.
The man crumples to the ground.

l n
[Very Far]
Nothing.
[Far]
Nothing.
[Near]
Nothing.

You think, "Well...not runnin now."

ooc dammit, mercy should work on archery.
idea Mercy should work on archery and throw.

Just sayin...you attemping to keep safe by insta running could actually be the cause of death.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

All is fair in love, war and PC survival.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

July 18, 2012, 12:49:27 PM #72 Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 09:51:12 PM by Shepard
For the past few years I have avoided survival in favour of PCs - and let me tell you, it is one hell of a ride! :)

Sometimes being killed can be very entertaining. I try not to shy away from curious pcs I happen across.. even if I care deeply for my current character.
Though there be no squids to slay,
My spear will taste blood today!

Running away isn't a great survival strategy. It gives the threat a chance to track you down or find you again and get the drop on you.  And since you've given away your tactic, the threat will respond accordingly and be more sneaky or more overwhelming the second time around.

Best chance of survival for most dangerous encounters is complete submission and cooperation, deception or counter attack.

When I'm the aggressor, I usually try to create a situation where my victim will survive or die based on their choices and reaction. A lot of pcs seem to prefer death over submission, for some reason.

Unless it's a bounty or some other predetermined kill. Then I try to end it before the target has a chance to react.