Avoiding PCs in favor of survival?

Started by Creslin, June 21, 2012, 06:18:51 PM

June 23, 2012, 05:17:55 PM #25 Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 05:21:45 PM by Dresan
As long as you can be justify yourself ICly, do what you think would be most enjoyable.

You want to run, run, you can justify that.
You want to stay, stay, you can justify that too.
You want to pull out your weapons and kick some ass, feel free as well.

So long as you can justify it ICly and with RP, go for it. There are consequences for any action you take regardless. At the end of the day this is an RP game, its supposed to be fun, you just need to do what your character would do, which is coincidentally often the thing you think would be the most fun to do.

On a side note, these days I'd give thumbs up to people riding in, and attacking without warning. This too is justifiable ICly and perfectly acceptable form of raiding. Too many people thinking it is carebear land out there. >:(

Charlize, she never runs.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Quote from: Dresan on June 23, 2012, 05:17:55 PM
On a side note, these days I'd give thumbs up to people riding in, and attacking without warning. This too is justifiable ICly and perfectly acceptable form of raiding. Too many people thinking it is carebear land out there. >:(

Agreed, I haven't been PKed since the red fangs.
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

l n
n
kill man
disarm
bash
kick

get pack body
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

June 29, 2012, 06:46:20 AM #29 Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 06:55:13 AM by Dakota
Quote from: Jingo on June 29, 2012, 04:06:07 AM
l n
n
kill man
disarm
bash
kick

get pack body

>l n
>emote narrows !me eyes into slits.
>hide
>sneak
>s x 2
>hemote slows ^me breathing.
>pull quiver
>shoot man north
>sheath bow back
>draw longknife armsheath
>draw blade armsheath
>hide
>n x 3
>l u
>l w
>l e
>l s
>l n
>l (creeping along the ground like some stalking feline - but stopping ten cords from !man as #me sinks low in the grass -- ~longknife clenched in ^me teeth) man
>ooc consent to __________?
start a scene..

later depending on how things go along..

>get pack body.
or
>put coins quiver

and later possibly sending kudos.

PS: IMO if you avoid PCs and RP in favor of survival so you can get an extra 5 days played or some stupid branched skill... you're doing it wrong. Also.. PKing / Raiding / death situations... should bring out the pinnacle of RP between players.
Czar of City Elves.

Quote from: Dakota on June 29, 2012, 06:46:20 AM
Quote from: Jingo on June 29, 2012, 04:06:07 AM
l n
n
kill man
disarm
bash
kick

get pack body

>l n
>emote narrows !me eyes into slits.
>hide
>sneak
>s x 2
>hemote slows ^me breathing.
>pull quiver
>shoot man north
>sheath bow back
>draw longknife armsheath
>draw blade armsheath
>hide
>n x 3
>l u
>l w
>l e
>l s
>l n
>l (creeping along the ground like some stalking feline - but stopping ten cords from !man as #me sinks low in the grass -- ~longknife clenched in ^me teeth) man
>ooc consent to __________?
start a scene..

later depending on how things go along..

>get pack body.
or
>put coins quiver

and later possibly sending kudos.

PS: IMO if you avoid PCs and RP in favor of survival so you can get an extra 5 days played or some stupid branched skill... you're doing it wrong. Also.. PKing / Raiding / death situations... should bring out the pinnacle of RP between players.

See, something like this, I'd be totally down for.  My problem is that on 95% of the times I have been raided, its just been a walk in and attack  when I would have actually totally given up coins/items/gear for the sake of rp.  Personally I have very little issue with being killed or raided but atleast make it somewhat entertaining for me.  TBH with my more recent experiences with this and the current stance that so long as it is following code, if I see people wandering in with weapons drawn, its likely I'd follow your assumptions and just run based on so many past experiences. 

i cant wait to post logs of some raids... need more time though :(
Czar of City Elves.

If you actually paused to sheathe your bow and draw two weapons after shooting someone, they'd be about 5-6 rooms away by the time you got around to sneaking into the room they were just in, unless you're wasting relatively difficult-to-get nasty poison on every dumbass raid encounter.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on June 29, 2012, 12:04:56 PM
If you actually paused to sheathe your bow and draw two weapons after shooting someone, they'd be about 5-6 rooms away by the time you got around to sneaking into the room they were just in, unless you're wasting relatively difficult-to-get nasty poison on every dumbass raid encounter.
Unfortunately that's just how it is, when people start with attacks first, you really shouldn't expect people to NOT run.

I know if I am walking down the street and someone blows a hole in my shoulder, from down the block, If I'm still able to move, I'm running the fuck away.  I'm not going to turn around and go, "Why did you shoot me!?"

Yeah, you're better off starting with throw.

June 29, 2012, 01:39:43 PM #35 Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 01:41:43 PM by Dakota

Was worth every bit of poison I used.. And I went through a lot and still had some to spare.
Czar of City Elves.

Quote from: Dakota on June 29, 2012, 01:39:43 PM

Was worth every bit of poison I used.. And I went through a lot and still had some to spare.

Well, okay.  If you have so much you can use it every time you want to make a scene of it, fine.  I'd suggest that, if in fact you have that much, and can get it so easily...you  might be pushing the bounds at which the staff decide to make it more difficult to come by, or perhaps you have enough 'sid (in the case that you're buying it from someone else) that raiding is more or less satisfying your OOC desire to do so, rather than any IC need.

I'm not really going to argue the point much further, because if you're experienced, you know damn well that wasting those sorts of things on random raid encounters is stupid, and bringing up the few instances where it paid off and made for an awesome scene is just bragging outside the limits of the general discussion.

There are plenty of folks who could step in and brag about all their awesome raid scenes while using certain types of magick...but we're talking about mundane shit in circumstances were Pro Skillz and 1337 gear aren't involved, because let's be honest:  raiding shouldn't require a fucking magicker or rare (supposedly) poisons just to be viable and not require minimal RP button-mash macro-spamming.

Quote from: Synthesis on June 29, 2012, 01:56:19 PM

Well, okay.  If you have so much you can use it every time you want to make a scene of it, fine.  I'd suggest that, if in fact you have that much, and can get it so easily...you  might be pushing the bounds at which the staff decide to make it more difficult to come by, or perhaps you have enough 'sid (in the case that you're buying it from someone else) that raiding is more or less satisfying your OOC desire to do so, rather than any IC need.

I'm not really going to argue the point much further, because if you're experienced, you know damn well that wasting those sorts of things on random raid encounters is stupid, and bringing up the few instances where it paid off and made for an awesome scene is just bragging outside the limits of the general discussion.

There are plenty of folks who could step in and brag about all their awesome raid scenes while using certain types of magick...but we're talking about mundane shit in circumstances were Pro Skillz and 1337 gear aren't involved, because let's be honest:  raiding shouldn't require a fucking magicker or rare (supposedly) poisons just to be viable and not require minimal RP button-mash macro-spamming.

The point was (IMO).. it was worth it to build a scene.. And that avoiding such kind of PC's (raiders or the like or simply PC's in general as per the thread) at times can be counterproductive and an overreaction.. as (from my experience) raiders and raidees would rather RP than spam code or show off some stupid skill/spell/item.
Czar of City Elves.

Synthesis sure is a cranky old man on the GDB lately.

One of my favorite scenes is when an elf "wasted" poison to render me helpless and robbed me silly - yet left me with just enough to survive and start over. He made out like a bandit, the scene was enjoyable, and I got to experience Real Zalanthan Wildlife. Don't give up, oh ye cynical - the good ones are out there.

June 29, 2012, 04:46:19 PM #39 Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 04:52:23 PM by Synthesis
Quote from: Delirium on June 29, 2012, 03:25:59 PM

One of my favorite scenes is when an elf "wasted" poison to render me helpless and robbed me silly - yet left me with just enough to survive and start over. He made out like a bandit, the scene was enjoyable, and I got to experience Real Zalanthan Wildlife. Don't give up, oh ye cynical - the good ones are out there.

I personally would be pretty annoyed if, in a complete act of random raiding, I got perained or heramided just so someone could steal my goddamn pack.  I don't give a fuck about how much you emote while you're stripping it off of me.  The fact that you risked your life (supposedly) or spent gobs of 'sid to get the stuff just so you can blow it on some random noob is completely ridiculous.

Yeah, I could do it if I wanted to.  I don't.  Because it's stupid.  I seriously would rather someone just run in and spam-charge me than to go out of their way to gather game-breaking amounts of poison just so they could sit around and emote their dominance while I'm unconscious or paralyzed.  You'd all be gnashing your fucking teeth and bitching mercilessly if some templar decided to start incriminating every random passer-by and taking what he wanted, no matter how well he emoted while he was doing it, and it's the same damn principle involved:  power and the responsibility that comes with it.  The staff put that stuff in the game and keep it like it is because generally people don't get stupid with it.  However, if you're squandering it on the daily to steal noob boots, they're going to move the fucking cheese.

...which brings me back to my original point, which is that you can't say "oh well, raiding CAN be nice" while attempting to use scenarios involving magick, mindbending, high-karma guilds or races, rare poisons, or situations where you're "raided" by a giant group of PCs like the Byn or a militia posse as evidence supporting your case, because these scenarios are so far outside the norm (or should be, anyway) that they only distract from the matter at hand.

Quote from: Delirium on June 29, 2012, 04:48:45 PM
I wasn't a noob, my 'stuff' wasn't cheap, and I wouldn't have been easy prey without being poisoned.

...which brings me to the point that you shouldn't use unique scenarios as evidence against a general trend, because it's not the same thing and you're just confusing the issue.

I wasn't a noob, my 'stuff' wasn't cheap, and I wouldn't have been easy prey without being poisoned.

Quote from: Synthesis on June 29, 2012, 04:46:19 PM
Quote from: Delirium on June 29, 2012, 03:25:59 PM

I personally would be pretty annoyed if, in a complete act of random raiding, I got perained or heramided just so someone could steal my goddamn pack.  I don't give a fuck about how much you emote while you're stripping it off of me.  The fact that you risked your life (supposedly) or spent gobs of 'sid to get the stuff just so you can blow it on some random noob is completely ridiculous.

Yeah, I could do it if I wanted to.  I don't.  Because it's stupid.  I seriously would rather someone just run in and spam-charge me than to go out of their way to gather game-breaking amounts of poison just so they could sit around and emote their dominance while I'm unconscious or paralyzed.  You'd all be gnashing your fucking teeth and bitching mercilessly if some templar decided to start incriminating every random passer-by and taking what he wanted, no matter how well he emoted while he was doing it, and it's the same damn principle involved:  power and the responsibility that comes with it.
  The staff put that stuff in the game and keep it like it is because generally people don't get stupid with it.  However, if you're squandering it on the daily to steal noob boots, they're going to move the fucking cheese.

...which brings me back to my original point, which is that you can't say "oh well, raiding CAN be nice" while attempting to use scenarios involving magick, mindbending, high-karma guilds or races, rare poisons, or situations where you're "raided" by a giant group of PCs like the Byn or a militia posse as evidence supporting your case, because these scenarios are so far outside the norm (or should be, anyway) that they only distract from the matter at hand.

Quote from: Delirium on June 29, 2012, 04:48:45 PM

...which brings me to the point that you shouldn't use unique scenarios as evidence against a general trend, because it's not the same thing and you're just confusing the issue.

The unfortunate thing about d-elves...both Red Fang and Soh...my real issue with running from most any d-elf, really. I've had really good and horrible experiences both with d-elves. The human who raided me was pretty awesome about it. I had a really spotty internet connection and was helping a newbie learn how to mine obsidian and whatnot when dude showed up and demanded her mount. I was in the middle of typing the command to get the ticket out and give it to him when my internet went out, for days, if I recall right. I was so glad she didn't get killed when I went linkdead that I took him aside and ooc offered her mount ticket anyway while explaining what happened and thanking them for being cool. I don't even remember who it was because it was a few years ago, but that was a great encounter up until that point where I went linkdead, at least.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

June 29, 2012, 05:12:10 PM #42 Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 05:15:38 PM by A Large Bag
In regards to using the rare/expensive poisons: They were acquired at great expense or risk to my character and should be treated as such. My pcs that mess with them typically reserve those for saving my own life against a dangerous foe, or taking out a dangerous foe. Otherwise, they hold onto them the same as they would an item made of metal. If I was raiding and using those rare poisons, I would be choosing my targets carefully so the profit of hitting them with it was worth using the poison.

This is somewhat of a derail though and if we're going to keep discussing it you should probably create a new thread for it.

jezis maria and blown out of proportion.

I'm keeping my mouth shut and going back into lurking mode.

Czar of City Elves.

Synth, no one said that it's a general trend to use rare poisons against noobs. In fact, my anecdote proves the opposite, which was pretty much the whole point, along with evidence of being raided in an entertaining way - which I have experienced many times (without poison). In fact, every time I demonstrated a willingness to stick around and emote, the opposite party returned the favor. So, yes, I do think that it's not as big a problem as you're claiming, and no, I don't think I'm 'confusing the issue'.

I think that the more trust you display in the playerbase, the more you'll get back. It's worked out pretty well for me these last 10 years.

Actually, technically, these poisons are best used quickly rather than sitting in your backpack for RL months, considering curiosity, theft, and random chance fuck you out of them more consistently the longer you last.  Don't acquire the poison that takes months/copious amounts of coin until you have a target for it, or it's -very- likely just a waste of that coin.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

June 29, 2012, 05:27:10 PM #46 Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 05:33:58 PM by Creslin
Quote from: Dakota on June 29, 2012, 06:46:20 AM

You're making assumptions and suggesting that I do this to "get an extra 5 days played or some stupid branched skill". How exactly do you know this is mine or someone else's intention when they avoid a likely hostile situation that's about to go down?

It's not your place to decide how / when / where someone RPs or how they go about their RP. If there is a situation where my character would ICly not stick around and run away when people are bearing down on him, it's none of your business what I do and you better believe I'm going to run because ICly that's what my character would do - it's my choice and you have no right to judge me for it or claim that it's wrong.

Quote from: Dakota on June 29, 2012, 03:24:08 PM
The point was (IMO).. it was worth it to build a scene.. And that avoiding such kind of PC's (raiders or the like or simply PC's in general as per the thread) at times can be counterproductive and an overreaction.. as (from my experience) raiders and raidees would rather RP than spam code or show off some stupid skill/spell/item.

If I think someone is about to raid me or they start firing arrows at me and I don't think I have a chance of surviving in a fight - either due to knowing the character, large numbers or any other reason - and I think I have a chance of getting away if I flee - and it is ICly something my PC would do - then I will do so. It's not bad RP to want to live to fight another day. It's not bad RP to want to survive. It's common frickin sense. Nobody wants to die.

If you play a PC that never back downs from a fight, or has a big ego or is honor bound to always take on any battle that comes their way, then that's a different story. But that's not who my current PC is. Some times he will run. And there's nothing wrong with that.

I'm not here to play for your enjoyment. I'm not obligated to RP with you or for you just because you think it was worth it to build a scene. If ICly I would run then I won't stick around just to go along with whatever YOU want to do because I don't give damn. I won't go completely out of character and do something that would not make sense at all ICly just so you can build a scene.

Quote from: Dakota on June 29, 2012, 03:24:08 PM
And that avoiding such kind of PC's (raiders or the like or simply PC's in general as per the thread) at times can be counterproductive and an overreaction..

As I mentioned in my most recent post, I've been making an effort to better pick and choose when I stick around and staying to see how it pans out a lot more now. I've had some good RP. I made some acquaintances and even some friends, as well as some enemies and had some good scenes. But I never compromised my character, never did something he would not do ICly, just for the benefit of someone else's RP - that's just them being selfish.

EDIT: Please don't misunderstand this as a personal attack or anything of the sort. It's just this kind of thinking really frustrates me and I had to rant to let off some steam.

Quote from: Delirium on June 29, 2012, 05:17:10 PM
Synth, no one said that it's a general trend to use rare poisons against noobs. In fact, my anecdote proves the opposite, which was pretty much the whole point, along with evidence of being raided in an entertaining way - which I have experienced many times (without poison). In fact, every time I demonstrated a willingness to stick around and emote, the opposite party returned the favor. So, yes, I do think that it's not as big a problem as you're claiming, and no, I don't think I'm 'confusing the issue'.

I think that the more trust you display in the playerbase, the more you'll get back. It's worked out pretty well for me these last 10 years.

Oh my god, man.

When someone say "raiding can be fun" and then use an example involving poison, what they are really saying is "raiding can be fun if you use this poison."  It's a logical implication, and it occurs without them having to actually say the rest.

Hence, my rebuttal is that a) we aren't talking about raiding with poison, because OBVIOUSLY you can do whatever the fuck you want to do and have plenty of time to do it if that's involved and b) poison/magick/weird shit shouldn't be a necessary condition for CONSISTENT kudos-worthy raiding RP scenarios.

I have never once said (or if I did, I was grossly exaggerating) that it is technically impossible for a kudos-worthy raiding RP scenario to occur in the absence of the aforementioned "special" considerations.  What I am saying is that this does not occur frequently, it does not occur often, it does not occur regularly--it occurs once in a god damn blue moon, and all you people want to do is take those blue moon scenarios (some of which aren't even blue moon scenarios, since they're "special") and hold them up like it's a fucking counterpoint.  It's not a counterpoint!  It's the rare exception that shows us how awesome -every- scenario could be, if we'd get off our asses and stop being content about how shitty the code is.

Quote from: Armaddict on June 29, 2012, 05:23:49 PM

Actually, technically, these poisons are best used quickly rather than sitting in your backpack for RL months, considering curiosity, theft, and random chance fuck you out of them more consistently the longer you last.  Don't acquire the poison that takes months/copious amounts of coin until you have a target for it, or it's -very- likely just a waste of that coin.

Well...I'm kind of working under the assumption that, for you and me, and presumably Dakota (bolded), it actually -isn't- that difficult to obtain...because y'know...it isn't.

Ah.

I am now picking up what you are putting down.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

I just wanted to interject, Unless it was changed or the area I used to get it from is no longer in existance, I found the poison that paralyses people CRAZY easy on a past character who had the poison ability.

I mean an area I could run though (with the right planning and ample time to rest in a few spots) and get like ten of them.

Maybe it's just hard to find because you don't know all the places it can be found?

But as I said, it could very well be that staff has made it rarer.