Newbie Fu: The Legend Continues

Started by DarkeyedSaint, March 10, 2012, 03:35:45 AM

So just for fun, I decided to start a little thread so you veterans can get a chuckle out of me trying to figure out the game. Also relayed here will be my own questions and whatnot so if I entertain you, excellent. If not, well, sorry. I will try harder.

Adventure of the day:

>You are a little hungry.

Me: Aight... I got this. *types in eat sausages*

>What?

Me: Eat sausages. wtf?

>What?

Me: *messages a friend with said issue*
Him: .... eat sausage.
Me *eat sausage*

>You eat a tandu sausage. You are not hungry anymore.

Me: *flex* Awwww.... yeah.

;D
"BEHOLD! I HAVE FIRE!" ~ Me after figuring out how to use the torch in game

First off, let me say, "Welcome to Armageddon!" (And, conclusively, you can say good-bye to much of your social life)

Secondly, let me just say that the help files will be your new best friend. When I first started playing, I had the MUD open in one screen and the help files open in another. The in-game help files are also extremely reliable and helpful, in a pinch.

If you have a question or aren't familiar about something in the game, usually typing (while playing) "Help <subject>" will bring up a nice little tid-bit on whatever it is you're curious about.

For example; 'Help Kick' will pull up the Skill_Kick and all things it's involved with. Also, at the bottom of the help file, it'll also list other things related to it, like Combat - which, in that case, you can type 'Help Combat' and, so on and so forth.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Yeah, syntax can be a bitch sometimes - just remember singular and no need for things like "look in pack"... which i still do sometimes...

It gets really bad when some things don't have every major word of a rather long sdesc keyworded, so then you're sitting there for 15 minutes trying to figure out why you can't get that one thing out of your belt one way but not in another very obvious way...
Like a lithium flower, about to bloom.

QuoteYeah, syntax can be a bitch sometimes - just remember singular and no need for things like "look in pack"... which i still do sometimes...

I call it dumbing down, You dont "get mug off table", You "get mug table" the less you think about the syntax I found, easier it is.  Also knowing how to deal with more then one item is a good thing to know ie: the brown short table and the long black table remember you can use a period when syntaxing items "get mug black.table" that also works with more then one of the same items "get 2.mug"  This emoting list I have copied and put on a page so its easy to get at I have found this VERY useful
            Symbol    Reference         Target Sees           
                ~       (sdesc)           you
                !       him/her           you
                %       (sdesc)'s         your
                ^       his/her           your
                #       he/she            you
                &       himself/herself   yourself
                =       (sdesc)'s         yours
                +       his/hers          yours
                               Good luck :)

Also: half a year later I discovered I could actually ENTER TENT/PAVILION/HUT/ETC when they were mentioned in the room desc.
Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

Quote from: rocketman on March 10, 2012, 01:14:23 PM
QuoteYeah, syntax can be a bitch sometimes - just remember singular and no need for things like "look in pack"... which i still do sometimes...

I have this written on a very worn scrap of paper on my desk, and I panic If I misplace it. Makes the whole world better!

I just keep the 'emoting' help page open in the background. But I try not to look at it, I'd rather make mistakes and learn and get stuff committed to memory.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

a good help guide in my signature
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Mansa's is very very useful.

Also ... if you're not sure what items in the room are interactable or just want to put some order into it all. Type

keyword .      (That's keyword and a dot on the end). This will bring up most visible objects in your room. All the tables, furniture, even the ones that are embedded into the room desc. Doesnt work 100%, but I found it very useful.

Quote from: Riya OniSenshi on March 10, 2012, 12:30:13 PM
Yeah, syntax can be a bitch sometimes - just remember singular and no need for things like "look in pack"... which i still do sometimes...

...wait. so I've been doing it wrong? How do you look in your pack then?

Quote from: Pie on March 16, 2012, 10:50:07 AM

I still look in pack and I've been here for 11 years almost.

I'm such a n00b.  ::)
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Quote from: Pie on March 16, 2012, 10:50:07 AM

Oh you guys!  :D  No syntax that produces the results you want is wrong.  Prepositions are not needed, though there are some little redundancies to allow for different player preferences.  Myself, I always use 'exa' (examine) to look at items, a habit which dates to MUDs I played long before Arm.

when using 'examine' you see the mdesc of the pack as well as the contents, when I would rather just see the contents with a 'l in pack'. same with 'look on table' as opposed to 'look table'.

And of course if you're wondering about stacks of items and keywords in your pack

key . pack
get 9. pack
"Daddy, I barfed in my mouth!"

April 01, 2012, 11:14:27 PM #15 Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 11:18:24 PM by Pie
My Newbie Fu To Do list:
1. Convince myself that racism/accent discrimination is ok. D:
2. Explain to friends playing the game that it's ok if their friends die IG/they never hear from them again.  D:
3. Explain to friends that it'd be more fun if we just play and don't really talk about it. HA.  D:
4. Explain to friends why I'm sitting at an IG bar drinking whiskey instead of drinking whiskey at a RL bar with them.

.... wtf.

Quote from: TheBadSeed on March 11, 2012, 12:33:22 AM

I have this written on a very worn scrap of paper on my desk, and I panic If I misplace it. Makes the whole world better!

I used to have it printed, laminated and taped to my desk back in the day before it burned into my skull.
The sound of a thunderous explosion tears through the air and blasts waves of pressure ripple through the ground.

Looking northward, the rugged, stubble-bearded templar asks you, in sirihish:
     "Well... I think it worked...?"

Quote from: Bast on April 05, 2012, 01:01:09 PM
Quote from: TheBadSeed on March 11, 2012, 12:33:22 AM

I used to have it printed, laminated and taped to my desk back in the day before it burned into my skull.

I still forget this shit.

So I always get irritated when you have two fairly permanent sets of shelves for example where one you can't look in and the other you have to as far as I understand. Maybe if I had simply left out in/on it would have solved the problem. I don't think it would but maybe I'll have to check when the opportunity presents itself.  And I've been playing for 10+ years.

Also wait until you know the joys of all the chests in a storage room reversing order every crash and reboot.

Quote from: Delirium on April 05, 2012, 01:16:24 PM
Quote from: Yam on April 05, 2012, 01:02:20 PMI still forget this shit.

+1

I always mix up ! and ^ for some reason. Otherwise, this shit's engraved into my brain. :o

Same. It's the evil ! and ^ that gets me.

I never use...

Because they didn't exist when I learned how to roleplay. And now I'm too old to learn.  :(

Today I lit a candle. Didn't know how to put it out.

Eventually figured out its

> Extinguish candle
Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

I prefer "snuff candle".

Because snuffing things is badass.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.