Which race is the hardest to play and why?

Started by Titania, January 17, 2012, 04:28:04 PM

Which of the current playable race(s) is the hardest to play? 2 votes

Dwarf
39 (20.4%)
Half Giant
80 (41.9%)
Desert-Elf
21 (11%)
Mul
55 (28.8%)
Half-Elf
29 (15.2%)
Human
10 (5.2%)
City-Elf
50 (26.2%)

Total Members Voted: 191

Personally I pick either dwarf or half giant. Sometimes it seems difficult to play a dwarf without being such a psychotic douchebag that you really can't interact with a normal human and have fun at the game. I think dwarves and half-giants are so far on the edges of the human norm that they would be the hardest. Basically you'd have to have a psychological disorder to get in their heads comfortably.

Elves are sort of hard but not as selfish and crazy to play as dwarves.

Half-elves and Muls feel easy for me. I've got angst and I've been an outcast etc.

Humans are easy mode of course.

City-elves, because they're stuck in the city (if they're smart, anyway), and their average stats are garbage.  If you roll monster-truck stats, they're playable...otherwise, have fun with your flavor role.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

I voted muls, because in my opinion they should be much more complex than 'angst' and 'outcast', they aren't just a bigger tougher version of halfbreeds. For instance the whole bondmate deal. Pretty much all of them must be escaped slaves, and have to deal with the mindset and background that go along with it - in that, they are more limited than dwarves with their focus who can at least choose different flavours of foci.

And maybe most importantly - there aren't that many PC muls, and especially not in most civilized areas. For that reason, there are few, if any role models to get inspiration from.

I went with half giants and dwarves because they're the two race I see played kinda "meh" most frequently.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: musashi on January 17, 2012, 05:19:53 PM
I went with half giants and dwarves because they're the two race I see played kinda "meh" most frequently.

I dare say that's only because muls are much higher up on the karma scale.  :D

City elf: stats are bad, and there's probably only one clan in your area that's friendly to you - if that. Playing on-flavor tends to mean incurring even more hostility. And you can't exactly pick up and move if things start to turn sour.

Mul: your stats are amazing, but no clan in any area is friendly to you. You will be welcomed along only as long as your utility as muscle exceeds your value as a gift to one of the two templarates - and it won't always. Playing on-flavor tends to mean incurring even more hostility, again.

Conversely, the easiest race to play: dorf. All clans love you, your stats are amazing, only bahamets and mekillots can kill you, and you have a documented excuse to powergame all erryday.

Quote from: jstorrie on January 17, 2012, 05:25:21 PM
Conversely, the easiest race to play: dorf. All clans love you, your stats are amazing, only bahamets and mekillots can kill you, and you have a documented excuse to powergame all erryday.
Fixed.

I should of been more specific I think about playing the personality of the character rather than more ooc aspects, but oh well.

Mul and half-giant, for reasons everyone knows anyway.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

I voted dwarf and half-elf. Bad muls tend to get weeded out pretty quickly, and poorly-played half-giants have a tendancy to solve themselves. City elf would be my third.

Mul. HG is tough, but they are free. Playing a slave with a low sense of self-worth and an identity crisis... it's a half-elf, a Dwarf with no Focus, and long hours of little to no action all wrapped up into one. There's a reason it's a high-karma race. Harder than that, I can only think Mantis might be.

I couldn't ever play a breed, I don't think. Fuck the (inward) melancholy, and the social pariah bullshit. I had enough of that in high school.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Half-giant.

It's a personal thing. Playing something who's mind doesn't always match the speed of both mouth and the situation is hard, dude. Mul's don't have to ignore a lot of what goes on under their nose.

Quote from: BleakOne
Dammit Kol you made me laugh too.
A staff member sends:
     "Hi! Please don't kill the sparring dummy."

In regards to the racial requirements themselves, I would guess half-giant is the hardest, simply because pretending to have stupidity and gullibility is very hard. And you have to do it without being child-like for it to be proper.

All non-human roles do have the challenge of making sure they have a real, distinct personality on top of the racial requirements. I think dwarf is the easiest, because each dwarf has their particular focus which can easily be built into particular personality and set of habits. Races whose racial roleplay requirements prescribe major elements of their personalities, like half-elves, half-giants and muls, are a greater challenge.

Mul can be a difficult race for sure. Played one for quite a while and at times it was hard for me as the player to watch even.

Half-elves and their fucking angst.

Dwarves and their single-minded nature... I actually do okay with dwarves.

Half-giants and their low intelligence. I play them like... intelligent idiots, if that makes any sense. "Of course I know how to do that. I'm not stupid." <--- then fucks it up.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Half-elf....GAH. Reasons stated by others.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

I definitely have to go with half-giant as the hardest, with muls coming in second. The HG reasons have been stated; it's hard for me to play someone who just doesn't "get it" or have complex thoughts. I'm a plotter and complex thinker.

Muls are difficult for a whole number of reasons, and as the self-proclaimed #1 fan of the race, even I find myself struggling with them from time to time. They have a whole bevy of personality options... it does help, though, that most players do what they ICly would do: use you for your superior stats and ability. Whereas players tend to "be okay" with sorcerers from time to time, which is oftentimes detrimental to the player of the sorcerer--because they should be feared and outcast and reviled, but that isn't being reinforced--you, as a mul, are constantly getting reinforcement that you are a giant, muscled, bred-for-work tool. Everyone wants you... because of what you are, not who.
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → b a

January 18, 2012, 12:49:12 PM #16 Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 12:50:49 PM by Sunburned

You're beating that dead horse again, jstorrie.

Its simply not true.
"A man's past is not simply a dead history... it is a still quivering part of himself, bringing shudders and bitter flavours and the tinglings of a merited shame."
-George Eliot

Quote from: Sunburned on January 18, 2012, 12:49:12 PM

Its simply not true.

It's totally true.

This feels like bashing on the players of dwarves. It needs to stop.
Quote from: Decameron on September 16, 2010, 04:47:50 PM
Character: "I've been working on building a new barracks for some tim-"
NPC: "Yeah, that fell through, sucks but YOUR HOUSE IS ON FIREEE!! FIRE-KANKS!!"

January 18, 2012, 02:59:33 PM #19 Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 03:03:03 PM by Spoon
Quote from: RogueGunslinger on January 18, 2012, 02:03:54 PM
Quote from: Sunburned on January 18, 2012, 12:49:12 PM

Its simply not true.

It's totally true.

It's a cynical argument though.

Looks like the OP was getting at "Which is the hardest to role-play properly."

Quote from: Talia on January 18, 2012, 02:07:34 PM

Don't know about Jstorrie... But I'm pretty sure we're joking.

I think it depends on what you like. If you like a certain role then you're going to find it a hell of a lot easier to play than others, even though dwarves are easy to employ, I'd find them hard to play just because I'm about as focused as a potato.

BTW potatoes aren't very focused.

January 18, 2012, 05:48:10 PM #22 Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 05:53:27 PM by jstorrie
Quote from: Talia on January 18, 2012, 02:07:34 PM

I'm bashing the implementation of dwarves in this game. I think the implementation of the race is flawed, both in terms of fluff and crunch. I have no issue with the people who play them, so I do apologize if it read like I was criticizing anyone's play.

Also sorry for derailing, going to stop.

I agree with Synthesis about city elves being incredibly hard to play.

I built up an unclanned city elf merchant about a year and a half ago, and the experience was just really difficult.  And boring.  The inability to freely travel between city states coupled with social ostracization made this an extremely difficult role.

I think my situation with a city elf merchant would have been entirely different, however, had he been in a coded clan -- ideally, a city elf clan.

I'm in agreement with muls being one of the hardest races to play, long term.  Yes, they are codedly powerful, and this may help with short-term survivability; however, I don't think many players are willing to deal with the plethora of negatives that come along with playing a mul.  Especially considering that one flip of the code can cause one to a lose a mul if the proper precautions are not taken.  I would be curious to know how many muls in the history of the entire game have lasted over fifty days.

Quote from: Kronibas on January 18, 2012, 06:22:34 PM
however, I don't think many players are willing to deal with the plethora of negatives that come along with playing a mul.  Especially considering that one flip of the code can cause one to a lose a mul if the proper precautions are not taken.  I would be curious to know how many muls in the history of the entire game have lasted over fifty days.

Is mul-rage coded, or are you referring to something else? That would be crazy.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded