Discussion thread - Extended Subguilds

Started by Adhira, January 02, 2012, 08:14:13 PM

Quote from: solera on January 05, 2012, 03:38:53 AM
Outdoors...man.  No skin?

It appears that in the process of getting the proper skills mentioned on this particular extended subguild, it is missing something it previously alluded to...we'll get that fixed.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Quote from: jstorrie on January 05, 2012, 04:56:02 AM
I think that Allanaki templar, Jihaen templar, and Lirathan templar should all be special (mandatory and 0 CGP) extended subguilds for those roles, rather than those roles having guilds to which one applies a subguild. I'd like to see more variety among those sort of PCs.

No.  If you're getting one of these and want a special subguild, you'll probably need to wait until the automated system is in place--and even then, there will probably be restrictions in place.  We haven't gotten to official guidelines on this yet.  Giving an already amazing role more stuff at no cost does not seem like a good idea.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

I also split off the derail about devotions and redacted info and etc.  Please do your best to keep this on topic about the extended subguild system that is currently in place/trialed out.

Quote from: Talia on January 03, 2012, 07:34:09 PM
What, no special apps for these new subguilds so far, yet?

Guess we need to get on killing some of you.

I'm awaiting my account notes to see if I have any karma or not, before I spec app anything. It's also unlikely I'd be interested in storing my current character to play one of these. Simply involved in too many things, and enjoying my current character far too much.

I have several ideas for ESG characters though, and generally like this proposed system. I do agree, however, that it is sometimes difficult for less visible players to get karma. I don't know how best to address that particular issue. I could propose ideas and theories, but even though they'd be related to the topic at hand, it might be considered a derail, so I'll save it for another topic.
I used to have a funny signature, but I felt like no one took me seriously, so it's time to put on my serious face.

I know this has been asked and answered by a non-staff member in this thread, but can we get an official response on it?

Are the extended subguilds in -addition- to your standard subguild selection, or is it an -alternative- to your standard subguild?
I used to have a funny signature, but I felt like no one took me seriously, so it's time to put on my serious face.

Quote from: Heade on January 05, 2012, 01:56:36 PM
I know this has been asked and answered by a non-staff member in this thread, but can we get an official response on it?

Are the extended subguilds in -addition- to your standard subguild selection, or is it an -alternative- to your standard subguild?

It is an alternative. 

This might be confusing while we are in the special app process as you will choose a normal subguild at character creation time.  However we will overwrite that when you get set up for the application with the one you chose, and reset your skills.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: AmandaGreathouse on January 05, 2012, 02:28:54 AM
It looks like grebber could possibly forage food. Can they? That's the type of thing which would definitely make me swing one way or the other on two or three concepts knocking around in my head at the moment.

The forage helpfile is accurate at/on this point.

When the page loads for me, it cuts off everything below the bolded word 'Note:' so I can't actually tell from that. Perhaps eventually I will be able to get it to load. If someone who can see the text wouldn't mind PMing it to me, though, that would be awesome.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Note:
   What you may be able to find differs according to both your character's
skill level and guild.  For example, only a select few guilds/subguilds can
forage for food (rangers and scavengers).

:)

Will there be a mastercraft subguild for other crafts down the road? Stonecrafting, woodcrafting, etc.
"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."
~ Doug Larson

"I tried regular hot sauce, but it just wasn't doing the trick, so I started blasting my huevos with BEAR MACE."
~Synthesis

Quote from: Bacon on January 05, 2012, 02:27:58 PM
Will there be a mastercraft subguild for other crafts down the road? Stonecrafting, woodcrafting, etc.

One of the mastercraft subguilds implies stonecrafting, but I don't know if it's master-able.

All the extended subguilds that are craft based have master craft options to them.  This should be indicated either by the title, or the helpfile.

Master Tailor
Master Jeweler
Master Armorsmith
Weaponsmith
Master Crafter - Master crafters are talented in working vines and grasses into baskets as well as shaping items from stone
"It doesn't matter what country someone's from, or what they look like, or the color of their skin. It doesn't matter what they smell like, or that they spell words slightly differently, some would say more correctly." - Jemaine Clement. FOTC.

Trying to be super psyched about these additions, but even though it makes characters more realistically flexible, it seems like it might tempt one to want to play a cool toy more than a character.

I'm also concerned that some combinations may be overpowered, while others may render the 'warrior' guild obsolete.

At the same time I know those are silly worries - that's why the karma system and the high cgp prices are there. Just had to vent anxieties, like an old man shaking his cane at the latest technology.

Definite props to the work that went into this though.

Quote from: Nyr on January 05, 2012, 08:32:54 AM
I think that Allanaki templar, Jihaen templar, and Lirathan templar should all be special (mandatory and 0 CGP) extended subguilds for those roles, rather than those roles having guilds to which one applies a subguild. I'd like to see more variety among those sort of PCs.

No.  If you're getting one of these and want a special subguild...

That's not what I'm suggesting! I don't think there should be Jihaen-slipknives running around. Nyr, stop skimming, start reading!

Quote from: jstorrie on January 05, 2012, 05:09:27 PM

That's not what I'm suggesting! I don't think there should be Jihaen-slipknives running around. Nyr, stop skimming, start reading!

Do you mean a templar subguild for main guilds?

I really don't think that'd work.

Quote from: jstorrie on January 05, 2012, 05:09:27 PM

Oh.  Yes, that's interesting.  I don't think it's particularly relevant to the extended subguilds, though.  We're not discussing potential new ones, and overall, what you describe would likely overpower such roles (and due to their nature, you can't really discuss this sort of thing on the forum).  Probably best to table that thought for the GDB at least.

Quote from: Yam on January 05, 2012, 05:13:00 PM
Do you mean a templar subguild for main guilds?

I really don't think that'd work.

Yeah that's what I mean. Some of the templar classes are already pretty close to certain 'normal' classes plus a subguild's worth of special powers... I think those roles could be diversified a bit, so you could have a more mercantile or espionage-oriented blue-robe/Jihaen/etc. from time to time, though they'd be rarer.

Quote from: Nyr on January 05, 2012, 05:39:09 PM(and due to their nature, you can't really discuss this sort of thing on the forum).  Probably best to table that thought for the GDB at least.

Ok, loud & clear. Just wanted to pitch the idea.

Quote01/05/2012: 'O' Creation Options now visible whenever connected to account -- Morgenes

Is this so that you can add in the extended subguilds that a person has the karma to choose as a third list after race and guilds?

And/or, I know I am not supposed to discuss here really but don't have a better place to, is this change so that you can add in a display of the current CGP in that screen when/if that happens?
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

Quote from: Twilight on January 05, 2012, 06:41:03 PM
Quote01/05/2012: 'O' Creation Options now visible whenever connected to account -- Morgenes

Is this so that you can add in the extended subguilds that a person has the karma to choose as a third list after race and guilds?

And/or, I know I am not supposed to discuss here really but don't have a better place to, is this change so that you can add in a display of the current CGP in that screen when/if that happens?

It was there if you could create a new character, we went ahead and opened it up to all the time, but that is not a bad idea.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

I'm hopeful that testing will be going on for a while! I'd quite like to things out, particularly the skill bumps. It all brings up interesting new opportunities.

Unfortunately, my next specapp doesn't open up until March 9, so I'm guessing the odds aren't so good.

Quote from: musashi on January 03, 2012, 08:17:09 PM
Quote from: Delirium on January 03, 2012, 08:15:57 PM
Whiran/Outdoorsman. :D

7 CGP?

I dunno.

The cost of elementalist (outside of Rul/Vivi) plus a mundane subguild is so high, it may only get done via special app for people with 4 karma.
Quote from: Morrolan on July 16, 2013, 01:43:41 AM
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

You can special app for up to +3 CGP, so if you have access to any class you can theoretically apply any mundane extended subguild to it.

Quote from: jstorrie on January 05, 2012, 05:54:07 PM
Yeah that's what I mean. Some of the templar classes are already pretty close to certain 'normal' classes plus a subguild's worth of special powers... I think those roles could be diversified a bit, so you could have a more mercantile or espionage-oriented blue-robe/Jihaen/etc. from time to time, though they'd be rarer.

The blue-eyed, blue-robed templar moves stealthily to the west.
A half-giant Allanaki soldier moves stealthily to the west.
A human Allanaki soldier moves stealthily to the west.

The average elf stands here, scratching his head and looking rather dumbfounded.

I know, I am a terrible person.

Quote from: Akaramu on January 07, 2012, 07:08:40 PM
A human Allanaki soldier moves stealthily to the west.

I still want to make a detective-corporal.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Much easier to accomplish with the new subclasses! Burglar-protector? Warrior-rogue? Or so on.