Discuss pending change to flee from Staff Announcements

Started by Morgenes, January 02, 2012, 11:47:44 AM

Quote from: Zoan on January 02, 2012, 07:20:28 PM
Easy solution: mercy on = no lashing out when people flee.

Enjoy your sparring, clan-peeps.

Also a good idea. I use mercy when sparring at all times anyway.
"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."
~ Doug Larson

"I tried regular hot sauce, but it just wasn't doing the trick, so I started blasting my huevos with BEAR MACE."
~Synthesis

Of course then you just go right back to not being able to train the skill up....which I think staff mentioned is at least part of the reason for the change anyway.

I see them as keeping the same value, Subguild skills do not go all that high.

No, give some other bonus to higher flee skill and I might agree to the value, But if all I am gaining is 30% less chance of them getting to swing at me and I have to pick a sub that is otherwise against my PC concept, which, the ones getting flee often are....well, I'll take my chances with a more fitting sub and flee sooner.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Bash + New Flee =   :'(
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

To the staff,: Any plans to make the flee skill more available to more combat classes. Like classes that already have poor defence?
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Please give more classes the flee skill.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: Armaddict on January 02, 2012, 08:15:57 PM

So it will fair for everyone? Like have a parting blow skill?
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on January 02, 2012, 08:29:40 PM
Quote from: ShaLeah on January 02, 2012, 07:39:05 PM
Bash + New Flee =   :'(

How so?

Being bashed increases the likelihood that you'll be below the "dead in one more round" limit at the time you manage to flee.  And if you're being attacked by several PCs, you almost certainly will be below the "dead in several more rounds' worth of attacks" limit.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Oh, well that's obvious.

If fighting multiple opponents does your flee check against them all individually, or just once for them all? I'm assuming it's individually heh.

Quote from: Barsook on January 02, 2012, 08:17:57 PM
Quote from: Armaddict on January 02, 2012, 08:15:57 PM

So it will fair for everyone? Like have a parting blow skill?

Because before it made more sense, since it was viewed more as an organized retreat and general combat awareness situation.  However, with a change that makes it a potentially character ending ordeal to have to run away, it also changes the context of that skill in and of itself to one where people in even remotely combat-involved classes should have -some- degree of learning in the matter.  Unless these classes are viewed as retarded when it comes to getting away from all those people who fight better than them and just repeatedly get smashed in the back of the head every time someone tries to mug them.  (Which is sarcasm.  I'm sorry, but in Zalanthas, people probably just aren't that stupid if they've survived to adulthood).
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Morg, I didn't see an answer to this question yet and I was super curious. Can you clarify please?

Question: If you go to flee, and the parting shot you get hit with reel locks, but does not kill you ... what happens?

Do you stay in the room till the reel lock wears off THEN flee?
Do you flee then stay reel locked in the next room?
Do you not get to flee?
Do you turn into a one-eyed one-horned flying purple people eater?
Does the game crash?
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Ugh...died because of bashes from critters already. I can see myself putting a fist through my screen when I die because of bash and the flee attack together. Perhaps the bash delay that you're knocked down should be cut down some with this addition? I think some of them are far too long anyway even without it.
"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."
~ Doug Larson

"I tried regular hot sauce, but it just wasn't doing the trick, so I started blasting my huevos with BEAR MACE."
~Synthesis

Yeeesh. Maybe my character is just one of the badasses benefiting from this change and I'm biased.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on January 02, 2012, 09:34:30 PM
Yeeesh. Maybe my character is just one of the badasses benefiting from this change and I'm biased.

Mine is too actually. For the record, I like what this is going to do to pvp content.

NPC mash fests are another concern....
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Quote from: Jingo on January 02, 2012, 09:39:11 PM

Mine is too actually. For the record, I like what this is going to do to pvp content.

Yeah, you had better make damn sure your tanks know who they are, and have their rescue skill buff.  Condolences in advance for the Byn Runners who get aggroed in the RPT, though.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on January 02, 2012, 09:48:00 PM
Quote from: Jingo on January 02, 2012, 09:39:11 PM

Yeah, you had better make damn sure your tanks know who they are, and have their rescue skill buff.  Condolences in advance for the Byn Runners who get aggroed in the RPT, though.

Now I feel dirty.

Too much swtor I guess.

January 02, 2012, 11:33:42 PM #93 Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 11:36:40 PM by Twilight

• It only really concerns me with very big critters where 1 hit is survivable and 2 hits aren't.  If I get jumped, and sometimes despite my best efforts that still happens, they are currently somewhat survivable.  This may, depending on how deeply it was implemented, change that.
  • I will hold you to the one hit.  So I expect that dual wield folks will not get a full round (both weapons) but only one hit.  Point for twohanders.
  • A lot of wonkiness would be avoided by making it so that anyone in wait_state (what some folks call game-side lag) doesn't get that hit on the fleeing person.  So, backstab, kill, bash, kick, etc. would give an opportunity to get away.  This would -add- to the tactics in my opinion.  My decent warrior, taking a surprise big hit to the head, is going to jump on the opportunity to get out when that thug just missed his kick afterwards.
  • I agree that anyone bashed (position < standing) or reeled shouldn't get to make a free hit.
  • Skilled fleers (I've never had one so guessing) get a reduced lag time from the skill, yes?  Journeyman should make it so that there is essentially no lag, IMHO.
  • Really skilled fleers (advanced, master?) should apply a very small wait_state (say .25-.5 seconds) to whatever it was that was attacking them.  Yes, lag the attackers.  The fleer surprised them, because hey, they are just that good.

Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

Quote from: Twilight on January 02, 2012, 11:33:42 PM

• I will hold you to the one hit.  So I expect that dual wield folks will not get a full round (both weapons) but only one hit.  Point for twohanders.

Pretty sure they get two

What is up with all this bash + flee stuff? If you're bashed down, you cannot flee anyway.

The hell people?

The wastelands have been entirely too safe for waaaay too long!

"I don't wanna get carru'd! D:"

Fuck, hire a guide! Bring friends! Hire the Byn! Hell, all this change really does is validate the existence of the "guard" and "rescue" skills and give warriors and rangers something else to do aside from running around and killing shit

We've had more than a few threads about combat not being dangerous enough, or the wastelands being too safe-- yet when an idea comes along that'll keep people from spam-fleeing their way from Red Storm to Tuluk in thirty minutes people start resisting. :/

Blah.

(Disclaimer: This doesn't go to anyone that actually suggested improvements to the idea)

All this change does is make a bad situation even worse.  Care to take your chances when being assaulted by five gith in an RPT?

It probably won't even be noticeable at more or less equal levels of skill, which is odd.  All I can see is more downside for those characters that already have nothing but downside when it comes to survivability.

I really need to see the specifics of how this is implemented before I can really say anything good about it.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Sure makes you think twice about doing silly things your character probably shouldn't be doing in the first place (Traveling along in the wilderness, trying to be a hardass when being mugged/raided, etc., etc., etc)  doesn't it?

Not really. It won't change my characters at all. They either would be that way or not. The code doesn't decide my character's personality. It has the potential to  be very oocly frustrating, especially for newer players, that is all. Some players are strictly offpeak. Some of us find ourselves stuck in periods where the only time we can play is offpeak. Things shouldn't be made so difficult that only peak players get to have any action. New players who like to see action, shouldn't have to play for several years before they do everything just right and have a little luck to keep a character alive for a while. We forget how difficult this game is for new people and need to remember that if we want to playerbase to continue to grow. It is really only a minority of veterans that post threads about it not being hard enough. That doesn't mean most of the playerbase agrees.
~ Doug Larson

~Synthesis