Movement and regeneration

Started by Incognito, December 15, 2011, 11:16:00 AM

There are many posts on the subject of movement points, and the unrealistic-ness of Zalanthans being able to run or ride throughout the length and breadth of the Known World with such ease. One improvement along these lines has been the tweak in movement point utilization vis-a-vis encumbrance.

With the increasingly popular shift towards realism in-game, here's a more fleshed out option:

Suggestion:
a) Movement point utilization tweaked slightly upwards.

b) Introduction of campfires - which when lit, will allow everyone in the room, to regen movement points at an accelerated pace.
You sit down and rest your tired bones.
You use your burning wooden torch to light a campfire.
You feel the flames filling you up with a warmth.
<Movement regeneration occurs>

c) Rooms with campfires will ward off *some* NPCs (beasts) - (but probably may actually attract other kinds of NPCs like Gith?)
A potbellied-gurth wanders in from the east.
A potbellied-gurth gets startled by the fire and flees to the north.

A hulking mekillot wanders in from the east.
A hulking mekillot gets startled by the fire and attacks!

d) Rooms with campfires will attract NPCs (beasts) to the adjoining rooms, if they were within a certain perimeter of the campfire to begin with.
The drab-yellow gith runs in yelling from the east.

e) Introduction of an extra skill or subset of existing skill - Scan Zone - which will basically allows people to view the horizon for flames (the effectivity and area of detection can be dependent on time of day).
You scan the horizon.
You can make out:
A campfire to the north
A campfire far to the north
A campfire very far to the west
A campfire to the extremely far western direction
A campfire in the distant eastern direction
(Of course the grid of detection in the 4 cardinal directions, and the definitions of the relative messages will have to be fleshed out)

Possible results:
a) Difficulty to traverse the Known World gets tweaked to a more realistic level.
b) Campfires allow players an easy and quick solution to regen movement points.
c) Detection of campfires from afar provides new ways of interacting with PCs (or avoiding them).
d) Magickal travel becomes more realistically vital/effective/life-saving.
e) Shift to traveling in numbers for safety (more interaction among PCs).
f) Decrease in lone travelers unrealistically taking off into the wilderness on their own, on long journeys.
g) Increase in dependence on guards/guides for long journeys, specially for guilds who realistically might not be able to successfully undertake such perilous travels on their own.
h) Of course we already have tents - which basically perform the same function (in a sense), but at this stage I am not sure how they'd figure in, into this idea.
i) Increased dependence and usage of wagons and argosies.
j) More people sticking to paved roads - which again increases chances of interaction - but also increases dangers from lurking NPCs (which are currently circumvented due to so many alternative travel routes through more difficult terrain).

What's the general feeling on this? Do we need some sort of realistic tweak to being able to travel around the Known World? Or are we happy with the usual 2 rest-stop trip from the Ivory to the Black?

It doesn't have to be to such an extent that playability becomes an issue especially for players with limited play time ending up being bogged down with travel burdens.

I personally do feel we need a correction (however minor), so as to actually make transporting materials less easy, and also to increase the novelty, usefulness and importance of magickal travel.

In short - a "trip to Luirs" or a "ride to Allanak" shouldn't be something to be taken lightly - by the lay Zalanthan, unless they are experienced enough and able enough to survive it on their own.

Even though this topic has been discussed ad-nauseam in the past, I still like to take time to revisit this idea from time to time, and will appreciate the sentiment of the current Arm Community.
The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish, 'Winrothol Tor Fale?'

I honestly like the idea of long/epic travel that really does require a lot of planning and time and could span several play sessions.  I like the idea of it being a real accomplishment, and the necessity of being apart from civilization for an extended period.

However, there are several technical and systematic problems that likely make such an idea unfeasible for Arm 1 or even MUDs in general.

Firstly, there's just two ways to increase travel time:
1) Increase the number of rooms between locations.
2) Increase movement delay.

The problem with #1 is that it would increase the world size exponentially.  There's no way that all those rooms could receive proper hand-written detail, and you'd end up with thousands of generic/copied room names and descriptions, which would hamper navigation.  Also, I'm not sure what/if there are world size limits in Diku.

The problem with #2 is how significantly increased movement delays interact with other systems.  It doesn't make sense that I can see something 3 rooms away, but it'll take me 5-15 minutes to actually get there.  It makes even less sense (or at least a playability imbalance) when people start shooting arrows from that distance.

tl;dr - I think this is a great idea but largely unfeasible for Armageddon/MUDs.   :-\

December 15, 2011, 12:30:10 PM #2 Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 12:36:35 PM by Bacon
I think it's fine the way it is. The game is already heavily time consuming to play it at all. This would make it even more time consuming and force players to spend more of what time they have to play doing things besides interacting with other players. Players tend to all go afk while resting or idle while resting during travel anyway so I don't see that adding more time onto this period would be adding anything positive to the game. I wouldn't mind more flushed out code regarding campfires and visibility though.

"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."
~ Doug Larson

"I tried regular hot sauce, but it just wasn't doing the trick, so I started blasting my huevos with BEAR MACE."
~Synthesis

Why would a hot-ass campfire refresh you on a desert planet where the daytime temperature regularly exceeds 130F?

However, I am ALL for expanding zone sizes.  Most of the wilderness zones in the MUD you can have eyes-on virtually every single room in the zone by making 3 or 4 passes through, which makes the Known World seem pathetically small.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

I like the idea of using some mechanism to refresh mount stamina points.  Maybe instead of a fire, water could help mounts recover more quickly.  Another idea is for some sort of portable shelter that could be used to get mounts out of the weather.

I think adding the ability to water mounts to help them regen stamina faster would be cool.
"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."
~ Doug Larson

"I tried regular hot sauce, but it just wasn't doing the trick, so I started blasting my huevos with BEAR MACE."
~Synthesis

Quote from: Bacon on December 15, 2011, 03:22:37 PM
I think adding the ability to water mounts to help them regen stamina faster would be cool.

If you're having problems with mount stamina, move slower and rest more.

December 15, 2011, 03:47:29 PM #7 Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 04:16:05 PM by Bacon
Quote from: Synthesis on December 15, 2011, 03:35:52 PM

Most of the time I don't but it seems like now and then my mount spawns with horrible stats and suddenly it gets tired much much faster. I move plenty slow as it is. I stop to look in all directions with every room as well as sometimes pausing for emotes, thinks, etc.
~ Doug Larson

~Synthesis

I think how the mechanics now is just fine. Some people cannot stay for the whole session cause maybe they're called for work or etc. I realize that the known world map is a very big square. xD

Of course, there might be sekrit places that I don't know about.
Veni, vinci, voici.

I'm okay on my own.

Quote from: Bacon on December 15, 2011, 03:47:29 PM

Most of the time I don't but it seems like now and then my mount spawns with horrible stats and suddenly it gets tired much much faster. I move plently slow as it is. I stop to look in all directions with every room as well as sometimes pausing for emotes, thinks, etc.

Well, you see, the trick is to rest your mount while you're taking your time.

Quote from: Synthesis on December 15, 2011, 03:56:16 PM

Most of the time I don't but it seems like now and then my mount spawns with horrible stats and suddenly it gets tired much much faster. I move plently slow as it is. I stop to look in all directions with every room as well as sometimes pausing for emotes, thinks, etc.

Yeah, but the OP is also suggesting mounts tire more easily/faster.  In that case resting and taking one's time would be less effective because the mounts would need more.

I do. I'm not sure what exactly you are trying to get at. Are you suggesting that I rest my mount every couple of rooms or something? If so, that's silly.
~ Doug Larson

~Synthesis

I say we don't need this in Arm1.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

I remember asking someone to tell me when they would arrive safely from Allanak to Tuluk.

They wayed me back maybe 10 minutes later saying they had arrived.

That was sort of a bummer.

December 15, 2011, 04:57:49 PM #14 Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 05:09:00 PM by Talia
Quote from: Kaiden on December 15, 2011, 04:35:24 PM
I remember asking someone to tell me when they would arrive safely from Allanak to Tuluk.

They wayed me back maybe 10 minutes later saying they had arrived.

That was sort of a bummer.

I know I've done that to people several times with various characters. I might be on my way already. And I might have my barrier up..and someone breaks it asking "let me know when you get to Tuluk."

And I just won't answer them, because I'm too busy putting my barrier up and riding. I might already be at the span, getting ready to ride through a posse of smelly gortoks and their vile sorcerous masters. Anyone who's expecting a response at this point, is just going to have to be shit outta luck.

And then, I'm in the city, my mount is stabled, I have all my stuff in my inventory including a bag full of very heavy hides that's making me "unbelievably heavy" so it's a good time to sit down and way the guy and say "Already here, boss."
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Bacon on December 15, 2011, 04:19:27 PM

I do. I'm not sure what exactly you are trying to get at. Are you suggesting that I rest my mount every couple of rooms or something? If so, that's silly.

Is it silly?  Or is it a wise idea in a world where running out of stamina could be the end of you?

I don't mind the system as it's currently laid out. I think the zone sizes, and the rate at which one loses and regens stamina are fine; but I can empathize with the idea that travel between the two city states (or travel through the wastes in general) is just too easy and needs to be more difficult.

I empathize, I really do ... but ... I think the problem is more in the mind of the players.

What I mean is: Armageddon is a small community and a good portion of the people playing have been playing for at least a year or more. But remember when you were a newbie and you were actually worried about the great unknown that is the world outside the city states? Remember when you were walking along with your character exploring and all of a sudden BAM ... whacked dead by some hidden aggro critter?

My opinion is: It's not that the world is any less dangerous than it used to be, it's that a large chunk of the player-base just knows their way around the coded dangers well enough that they can take a 0 days played merchant from one end of the Known to the other.

But please keep in mind that the game is still scary for the noobs who haven't yet got every zone mapped out along with all the spawn points and rest-stops. You're a grizzled old vet now ... you have to "pretend" to be scared for the sake of keeping up appearances.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: Synthesis on December 15, 2011, 06:32:26 PM

Is it silly?  Or is it a wise idea in a world where running out of stamina could be the end of you?

From a playability standpoint it is silly. I don't know a single pc I've ever seen that does this.
~ Doug Larson

~Synthesis

I do it because I like my mount to not be completely exhausted in case the meks come cabbage hunting.
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

Quote from: musashi on December 15, 2011, 10:26:46 PM
I don't mind the system as it's currently laid out. I think the zone sizes, and the rate at which one loses and regens stamina are fine; but I can empathize with the idea that travel between the two city states (or travel through the wastes in general) is just too easy and needs to be more difficult.

I empathize, I really do ... but ... I think the problem is more in the mind of the players.

What I mean is: Armageddon is a small community and a good portion of the people playing have been playing for at least a year or more. But remember when you were a newbie and you were actually worried about the great unknown that is the world outside the city states? Remember when you were walking along with your character exploring and all of a sudden BAM ... whacked dead by some hidden aggro critter?

My opinion is: It's not that the world is any less dangerous than it used to be, it's that a large chunk of the player-base just knows their way around the coded dangers well enough that they can take a 0 days played merchant from one end of the Known to the other.

But please keep in mind that the game is still scary for the noobs who haven't yet got every zone mapped out along with all the spawn points and rest-stops. You're a grizzled old vet now ... you have to "pretend" to be scared for the sake of keeping up appearances.

Yes yes yes YES! As a fairly new player (been playing around 3/4 months now) I can say I was scared shitless to go outside the city walls. Heard stories IG and OOC and yes, it wasn't hard to emote how scared my char was since it was for both of us the first time we'd set foot outside the walls.

I literally thought there would be attacks from each and every side of the desert, had NO idea how my stats would be affected by this new terrain and well... it was just an exciting experience.

To me it's scary as it is. Having a fire attract more deadly animals would be too much for me, personally.
Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

Quote from: Iiyola on December 16, 2011, 12:16:29 AM

To me it's scary as it is. Having a fire attract more deadly animals would be too much for me, personally.

It's scary, and you're right to roleplay it as scary.

I believe the option is there for more experienced players who can navigate the known world to ROLE PLAY. Sure, you've played the game for years, you know every nook and cranny. But there's plenty of people who haven't, and who die repeatedly while they're learning. The desert is pretty unforgiving -- and god forbid you get a hostile PC or two on you while you're out there. I don't think you'd be whining much about things being easy then. The key to that though is to make the world easier for players to cause trouble in the wastes, not harder. I'd rather PC on PC violence than an automated meat grinder out there.

Just please role play. Spamming Nak to Tuluk in 10 minutes is the equivalent of spam stealing. Be ashamed.

Quote from: Krishnamurti on December 16, 2011, 04:08:13 AM
Quote from: Iiyola on December 16, 2011, 12:16:29 AM

It's scary, and you're right to roleplay it as scary.

I believe the option is there for more experienced players who can navigate the known world to ROLE PLAY. Sure, you've played the game for years, you know every nook and cranny. But there's plenty of people who haven't, and who die repeatedly while they're learning. The desert is pretty unforgiving -- and god forbid you get a hostile PC or two on you while you're out there. I don't think you'd be whining much about things being easy then. The key to that though is to make the world easier for players to cause trouble in the wastes, not harder. I'd rather PC on PC violence than an automated meat grinder out there.

Just please role play. Spamming Nak to Tuluk in 10 minutes is the equivalent of spam stealing. Be ashamed.

It's pretty easy to cause trouble in the wastes.  Ridiculously easy, albeit dangerous, as it should be.

Quote from: Bacon on December 16, 2011, 12:00:40 AM
Quote from: Synthesis on December 15, 2011, 06:32:26 PM

From a playability standpoint it is silly. I don't know a single pc I've ever seen that does this.

Disagree.  If there's a playability standpoint it might be blinding sandstorms and random movement (mostly solved with subguild direction sense), but resting a mount frequently isn't an issue.  Actually forcing one to slow down gives opportunity for RP and makes the world appear as large as it actually is.  If you are traveling 'nak to Luir's in one shot (not saying you are) you are going too fast.  One overnight is usual but would be nice if it were two.  It should take time.  Same with all the other routes out there.

December 25, 2011, 12:18:01 PM #23 Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 03:44:50 PM by Bacon
It's too short to take more than a day. It should be codedly longer if that's how long it's supposed to take. The code tells me that it isn't that long of a trip. The code outlines the area we are supposed to rp in. I flatly refuse to spend that much time sitting around and solo rping or doing nothing at all just to satisfy someone else's opinion on how long the trip should take when the code does not support their opinion of it.
~ Doug Larson

~Synthesis

Heh. On another MUD I used to play a long, long time ago the staff just put signs outside the city gates that displayed how much time traveling from one settlement to the next would take since no matter how big they made the zones people would try spam travel through them.

So the new rule became something like: Fine. Spam travel from one settlement to the next, but then you have to stay in that settlement until all that travel time has past before you can go anywhere else.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.