Movement and regeneration

Started by Incognito, December 15, 2011, 11:16:00 AM

I was just thinking, too: This is all fine and good until the rez requests and complaints go rolling in and start peppering the boards, because it already seems the case that people get angry a lot over dealing with tracking npcs. Imagine how this would exacerbate that?
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Quote from: AmandaGreathouse on December 25, 2011, 06:51:49 PM
I was just thinking, too: This is all fine and good until the rez requests and complaints go rolling in and start peppering the boards, because it already seems the case that people get angry a lot over dealing with tracking npcs. Imagine how this would exacerbate that?

I agree with Amanda on this point as well as the players she mentions. As long as a "territorial" NPC will follow you all the way across the known because code trumps their RP, I want to be able to ride or run all the way across the Known to get away from them.  And I am ALL FOR taking your dear sweet time traveling. This is the best way to get interaction outside the walls from staff or other wilderness players.

I, being a player who was attacked in the Gaj by a mantis two or three IG days after getting jumped by said mantis half way across the known and riding my ass off.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

That is such a noobish concern.

I mean, honestly...that auto-hunt AI is stupidly easy to defeat in at least five different ways that I can think of, and that's before we get into magick tricks.

Furthermore, if you get hunted down and killed by an NPC that's smart enough to track you down, because you or our mount ran out of stamina (for whatever reason), maybe you shouldn't have been out there on foot or with an exhausted mount in the first place.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on December 26, 2011, 10:50:13 AM

At least half the playerbase, including myself, are such noobs.  (I guess I should ask my Byn sergeant, neh?)
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on December 26, 2011, 05:12:26 PM

At least half the playerbase, including myself, are such noobs.  (I guess I should ask my Byn sergeant, neh?)

What's your point?

Quote from: Synthesis on December 26, 2011, 05:30:03 PM

What's your point?
I'm guessing that some other players aren't as smart as you. Myself included.
Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

Well, here's the thing:

If we...

a) assume that the auto-hunt code is working as well as can be expected (which I think is a fair assumption, given that it's still in place)

and

b) assume that the intent of the proposed code here is to make it more difficult to move around in the desert

...then the prediction that "it would become more difficult to run away from auto-hunting critters" is not an instance of an unintended consequence--it's an example of a consequence that would be expected, given the assumptions underlying the code in place.

On the other hand, I suppose we shouldn't be too quick to even grant the conclusion that it would make it more difficult to avoid said critters, because if we increased stamina utilization per room, it presumably would apply to all critters, which would make those auto-trackers run out of stamina more quickly as well.  After all, there's a reason that the legendary mantis-in-the-Gaj (supposedly) turned up two or three DAYS after it was initially encountered.

My observation that this was a noobish concern wasn't really the counterargument, if you were paying attention.  It was more an admonition (snarky, admittedly) that you should all pay more attention to how the code works...or if you really can't figure it out, don't go wandering into dangerous zones by yourself.

The real counterargument is simple:  underlying the proposed ideas here (which I don't particularly agree with) is the idea that it's too easy to move around in the desert (in all instances, presumably).  The ideas are intended to make things more difficult.  Thus, when things are predicted to become more difficult, you shouldn't cry, "unfair," you should plan on being more careful.  Applied to the current discussion:  you should take measures to avoid auto-hunting critters, or to make sure you can kill them, or to make sure you can outrun them if you can't avoid them or kill them.

There is a realism vs. playability argument to be made in just about every code circumstance, but the time to argue that against the auto-hunt code is not in the context of movement code.

A true unfairness argument would run something like, "Well, if campfires refresh stamina, it's pretty unfair that the only materials you can codedly build a campfire with are very far removed from Allanak and Red Storm, which means this benefits only about half of the playerbase until such time as dung can be used to build fires."  (Maybe it can--I've never tried.)

What's your point?

Only that your first point isn't a good counter to whatever the tracking-NPCs argument was.  I suspect that confusion with how to deal with raptors is the Average player experience, not just the Noobish case.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on December 26, 2011, 06:31:48 PM

What's your point?

Only that your first point isn't a good counter to whatever the tracking-NPCs argument was.  I suspect that confusion with how to deal with raptors is the Average player experience, not just the Noobish case.

Since it wasn't intended to be a counter...good job.  The counter is in the part you didn't quote.

I rarely play pcs who ride mounts in the wilderness and have only died like 3 times out of probablyabout 80 deaths to the hunt code. I'm not even assuming that - I know of ways of breaking that. My concern is general dissatisfaction amongst the rest of the p-base due to consequences which some of the people proposing this aren't even thinking of. The campfire point is another good one. I can think of more, too. Like the people who are already frustrated with the lack of apparent wilderness quit rooms being more dissatisfied. Or that making desert travel take longer would be probably more harsh on people who are casual players (from a playability standpoint), and any number of other things. With an example of 2 ic nights from nak to luirs: How many people have time for that if they only have a few hours of playtime each week? How many people would want to stop playing hunter types due to such things? How much longer would such roles take? What would it add to the game in the face of the things it would screw with and cause dissatisfaction with?
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

I've always been a proponent of expanding the wilderness by two to three times.  I realize that this would be a nightmare for the builders, though.  However, Red Storm, Luirs and Nak always seemed too close to one another for my tastes.  The descs are largely repetitive in the wilderness, so that doesn't concern me much.

Do I think the gameworld would ever be expanded in that way?  Not really.  Way too much of a hassle for too little gain.  But it's a "would-be-nice" idea.
Proud Owner of her Very Own Delirium.

I've always been fond of regenerating stamina up to a certain point while standing and moving and implementing two types of stamina; one type that represents short term anaerobic capability and the 2nd that represents the overall caloric energy stored in a PC's cells.  Standing regen rate takes into account endurance, weather, life in the area, racial modifiers, and perhaps some hidden stat akin to offense/defense that equates to the overall fitness of a character that would more quickly convert long-term energy storage into short-term energy at the cost of needing to eat more food.

Complex, complicated, and probably not for 1.Arm, but I like the idea none the less.

Yuh, you should be able to catch your breath by just...stopping moving for a bit...
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game