Regarding The Upcoming Chargen Change

Started by The7DeadlyVenomz, November 30, 2011, 09:55:34 AM

I'm wondering if we might also spend CGP to raise stats or perhaps gain a starting coin bonus.

Of course, to do the stat raise, we'd need to know our stats before we create our characters. I've always favored such a thing primarily because of character description inconsistencies. The tiny grey man probably doesn't have exceptional strength, and the hulking red-eyed giant probably doesn't have average strength. I think two choices for stats could be included in your account file, and when your new character first entered the world, the next character's stats could be rolled and put on your account for access after your current character's death. By these means, your stat numbers would be concrete and you could write a character description with more accurate details based on those stats.

As far as the starting coin bonus, there are plenty of character concepts who require more coin to outfit per background than we currently get at chargen. So your warrior could be fitted as you envisioned him from the gate, and your merchant could establish a house and crafting stockpile from the beginning.

I suggest these additions to the new chargen because it seems to me that the Staff is seeking to shift the requests of many special applications to this system. It would seem to me that these suggested changes would fall under this sort of evolution of our chargen. I'd suggest one CGP per five hundred coin, and one CGP per stat descriptor (ie: good to very good). I'd also perhaps suggest a bonus CGP for reducing a stat by a descriptor, though that is perhaps not as important.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Sounds complicated.

Wouldn't it just be better to put in a request when your stats are completely out of sync with your concept? How often does that happen with prioritization (and picking a median age).
Quote from: Morrolan on July 16, 2013, 01:43:41 AM
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

From now on, Orpah gives us all our stats.

YOU GET ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE
AND THE WHOLE AUDIENCE GETS ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE.

Let's have a system in place and in use by the playerbase before we start adding stuff to it, eh?
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

The starting coin idea is alright.

I think we've done enough jiggering with stats though, to be honest.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Nyr on November 30, 2011, 12:36:36 PM
Let's have a system in place and in use by the playerbase before we start adding stuff to it, eh?

Any update on when the system might be in place?  It's been a few months since the announcement, and I'm sure many of us are eagerly awaiting it.

Quote from: wizturbo on November 30, 2011, 07:54:25 PM
Quote from: Nyr on November 30, 2011, 12:36:36 PM

Any update on when the system might be in place?  It's been a few months since the announcement, and I'm sure many of us are eagerly awaiting it.

While I'm as happy as most are with it (and I assume happy), I think there's going to be a period where karma is readjusted awarded/removed based on the new guidelines. This will slow its real rolling out. Also, current players will have to wait until their next character to see actual benefit.
Quote from: Morrolan on July 16, 2013, 01:43:41 AM
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

Quote from: janeshephard on November 30, 2011, 11:13:47 AM
Sounds complicated.
Not so sure how complicated it would be. Obviously, it's not simple simple, but I can't picture it being more complicated than coding this new chargen has been.

Basically, accounts would have the following fields attached to them now: stat_roll_1, and stat_roll_2. For those of us with characters, it would be blank. When our characters died, the game would roll two stat rolls, using the same random system it does now, and fill those fields on our accounts with the raw numbers, which we would never see.

When we created a new character, chargen would display our 2 stat rolls according to our prioritization or lack of it, our race (using a multiplier), and our class (with whatever built in modifiers might be applicable). We would pick the roll we wanted in chargen instead of once in the game, and we could tailor our descriptions to match the stats if we so desired. Then we could also spend CGP to further customize those stats if we liked.

Once that character entered the game, the stat fields on our accounts would be deleted and remain empty until our characters died again, and the process would repeat itself.

Of course, as Nyr suggests, it's probably better to implement the upcoming system as it is first, and then fiddle with it. My post is mostly concerning a few neat things I would love to see added to our upcoming customization options.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

When it comes, it will come. Personally I am in no rush for it to come -before- it comes, because then there will be a time warp issue.
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

Quote from: evilcabbage on November 30, 2011, 11:02:40 PM
When it comes, it will come. Personally I am in no rush for it to come -before- it comes, because then there will be a time warp issue.

I don't get the time warp issue, since old characters alive will not get to benefit.
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

Quote from: Potaje on December 01, 2011, 02:04:27 PM

I don't get the time warp issue, since old characters alive will not get to benefit.

You're absolutely correct, Potaje.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

I think he's just making a humorjoke about time travel.  (If it comes sometime before it comes, there is a causality/timeline paradox to contend with.)

December 01, 2011, 05:24:34 PM #12 Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 07:34:01 AM by Potaje
Quote from: catchall on December 01, 2011, 02:46:47 PM

I think he's just making a humorjoke about time travel.  (If it comes sometime before it comes, there is a causality/timeline paradox to contend with.)

I get it now, a time warp, like this.
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

Quote from: Old Kank on December 01, 2011, 06:00:11 PM
Quote from: Potaje on December 01, 2011, 05:24:34 PM
I get it now, a time ward, like this.

This is a time ward:

I laughed until I almost peed.
<SanveanArmageddon> d00d
---
[Laeris] (11:52:53 AM): If penicillin started spilling out of your butt, what would you do with it?

Damn,

I hate not getting the joke.

On the other hand, I've laughed millions of times, (or at least hundreds of thousands) and never pee'd from it.

I guess is need to consider it a blessing.

Quote from: TheBadSeed on December 07, 2011, 12:41:08 AM
Damn,

I hate not getting the joke.

On the other hand, I've laughed millions of times, (or at least hundreds of thousands) and never pee'd from it.

I guess is need to consider it a blessing.

Don't worry.  Sam can pee with the best of them.

after reading up on what this was about I hope this system never even goes into the game, not just your idea. Its just another way to stick it to people with no karma. Why not just make all newbies start as "useless slave" guild option where we just bow down and take it from the cool players.
Love's the only war worth dying for.
Build me up to knock me down, I'm all yours.

Based on your post, I'm pretty sure you didn't read about it at all, because if you did, you'd realize it actually restricts players with karma more than the current system does, while arguably making it easier to aquire karma.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Quote from: Kastion on December 19, 2011, 05:54:51 AM
after reading up on what this was about I hope this system never even goes into the game, not just your idea. Its just another way to stick it to people with no karma. Why not just make all newbies start as "useless slave" guild option where we just bow down and take it from the cool players.

That's a good idea.  We'll look into expanding the system in that direction.   ;)

Quote from: HavokBlue on December 19, 2011, 06:21:00 AM
Based on your post, I'm pretty sure you didn't read about it at all, because if you did, you'd realize it actually restricts players with karma more than the current system does, while arguably making it easier to aquire karma.

It -might- restrict you more, but it definitely gives you slightly more awesomeness.

The only way it definitely will restrict you is if you can't manage to keep your PCs alive for the requisite period of time, or you're one of those folks with the attention span of a gnat, who suicides or stores on a bi-weekly basis.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on December 19, 2011, 12:25:41 PM
or you're one of those folks with the attention span of a gnat, who suicides or stores on a bi-weekly basis.

hi....  :-[

I go through a lot of PCs (76 in five years), have middling karma, and I still like the system.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

December 19, 2011, 02:55:42 PM #23 Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 03:02:45 PM by Kastion
Well I dont have any problem with letting people with karma start out stronger or with more money or equipment or whatever. Kick starting a character is cool with me. The problem I have with it is that my human warrior tailor is somehow inferior to your human warrior tailor because you have karma and can now mastercraft and i cannot. Its also unfair that you can take other sub guilds that raise your maximum skill levels and I cannnot just because you have karma and I dont. I dont see how this adds anything to the game other then giving players with karma quite a leg up on everyone else?

Hey Mr. Great Merchant House Fancy pants can I join you? Ohh whats that, what can I do? I can hunt stuff for you and make armor. Ohh am I a "master" armor maker? No Sir I was born inferior to the others for some reason, sorry.
Love's the only war worth dying for.
Build me up to knock me down, I'm all yours.

Quote from: Kastion on December 19, 2011, 02:55:42 PM
Well I dont have any problem with letting people with karma start out stronger or with more money or equipment or whatever. Kick starting a character is cool with me. The problem I have with it is that my human warrior tailor is somehow inferior to your human warrior tailor because you have karma and can now mastercraft and i cannot. Its also unfair that you can take other sub guilds that raise your maximum skill levels and I cannnot just because you have karma and I dont. I dont see how this adds anything to the game other then giving players with karma quite a leg up on everyone else?

Hey Mr. Great Merchant House Fancy pants can I join you? Ohh whats that, what can I do? I can hunt stuff for you and make armor. Ohh am I a "master" armor maker? No Sir I was born inferior to the others for some reason, sorry.
I think this is a pretty good point.  I think the staff may be flexible on allowing upgrades so to speak sparingly and, probably at a cost to your available karma, if at some point your non-master crafter armormaker warrior wants to be a master crafter.  Newbies just gotta suck it up until they get a karma point or two.  Roleplay well.  After all, a non-master crafter warrior is still a potentially kick-ass warrior.