Realistic RP regarding languages and accents

Started by Incognito, August 24, 2011, 12:57:49 PM

Stop trolling. Don't post NSFW pictures. Don't make me call Nyr back here.

SO ANYWAYS BACK ON TOPIC!

Do Gith get their own accent? They should!
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

Quote from: evilcabbage on November 11, 2012, 03:24:56 AM
SO ANYWAYS BACK ON TOPIC!

Do Gith get their own accent? They should!
Gith can't even talk civilised like, so what does it matter? Or has someone managed to learn heshrak from the one liners they throw out before killing you?

Find out IC.
A dark-shelled scrab pinches at you, but you dodge out of the way.
A dark-shelled scrab brandishes its bone-handled, obsidian scimitar.
A dark-shelled scrab holds its bloodied wicked-edged, bone scimitar.

why are we questioning it? I just think they should get their own cool accent.

Quote from: evilcabbage on November 11, 2012, 05:46:23 AM
why are we questioning it?
I may be wrong but I believe you asked a question on a discussion forum. This isn't a post ideas and then not talk about them forum

So anyways, ignoring certain comments that are ill-stated and against the purpose of this threat...

I want to see a Silt-sea accent. For when the Silt-sea people cross over into Red Storm and take over.

Quote from: evilcabbage on November 11, 2012, 07:58:03 AM
So anyways, ignoring certain comments that are ill-stated and against the purpose of this threat...

I want to see a Silt-sea accent. For when the Silt-sea people cross over into Red Storm and take over.

This sounds familiar.

How much karma will silt giants need?

Quote from: evilcabbage on November 11, 2012, 08:01:10 AM
Like, 11.

12. Otherwise it's an 8 karma + special app (+3 karma). And I don't want to see any PC silt giants. Ever.
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Quote from: Morrolan on November 12, 2012, 03:08:02 PM
Quote from: evilcabbage on November 11, 2012, 08:01:10 AM
Like, 11.

12. Otherwise it's an 8 karma + special app (+3 karma). And I don't want to see any PC silt giants. Ever.

But our karma, it only goes to 11.

I'm going to weigh in again in favor of language code applying to psionics.  It's not about believably in this case, it's about making languages actually USEFUL.  Frankly I'm surprised anyone in Zalanthas bothers to learn another language at all when every human and demi-human has a universal translator built into their head.

I'm OK with chance failure of accents, but ONLY when below master level of the skill.

We could probably use a few more accents (at the very least, each language ought to have a native accent applied to it rather than just northern/southern).  However, we probably should avoid going overboard and not have 30 different accents or whatever.

I've always been motivated to learn other languages, if only to overhear the table gossip of those suspicious looking neckers over there. I usually don't bother, though, because it's such a pain to learn it through IC language lessons. The same teacher won't have time / motivation / be around long enough to give 30+ language lessons. Most people who pick up another language were probably simply long lived enough to improve through randomly overhearing that language, rather than language lessons from a teacher, which is a bit unrealistic imho.

I wonder if the staff would be willing to consider enabling the teach command for language skills.

Quote from: Marauder Moe on November 13, 2012, 01:40:05 PM
I wonder if the staff would be willing to consider enabling the teach command for language skills.

That would rock.

I wish we had a few more subguilds, all with languages and language boosts. In modern-day Africa, due to colonization, its very common to find a bilingual or trilingual or quadrilingual african. I'm thinking, because of the overwhelming hold on everything important that humans have in the cities, and their close proximity to the other races living there, it might be rather common for Amos the human to know mirukkim to a journeyman level, and for a human to know some allundean without having to be a biological breed or have to also know dwarvish.

I want to complain about how most pcs ought to be able to tell the difference between allundean and mirukkim out of chargen, but then there'd be so many people spouting choking sounds that sound vaguely elven or dwarvish and that's not fun.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

Higher stun penalties for communicating with people over the Way if they don't have a mastered/advanced language in common?
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Quote from: Cind on November 13, 2012, 03:10:04 PM
I wish we had a few more subguilds, all with languages and language boosts. In modern-day Africa, due to colonization, its very common to find a bilingual or trilingual or quadrilingual african. I'm thinking, because of the overwhelming hold on everything important that humans have in the cities, and their close proximity to the other races living there, it might be rather common for Amos the human to know mirukkim to a journeyman level, and for a human to know some allundean without having to be a biological breed or have to also know dwarvish.

I want to complain about how most pcs ought to be able to tell the difference between allundean and mirukkim out of chargen, but then there'd be so many people spouting choking sounds that sound vaguely elven or dwarvish and that's not fun.

Zalanthans are commonly bilingual and trilingual already. Just not commoner human city-dwellers.

In a particular part of the game, people will jump on you instantly after you say something for not having the correct accent.  Lesser forms of the same thing happen in most areas of the game.  Accents are cool, but not when taken to that extreme, that's just...-weird-.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: Armaddict on January 25, 2013, 08:36:00 AM
In a particular part of the game, people will jump on you instantly after you say something for not having the correct accent.  Lesser forms of the same thing happen in most areas of the game.  Accents are cool, but not when taken to that extreme, that's just...-weird-.

That actually seems to me to be 'working as intended'. Accents advertise your ethnicity, and some ethnicities are not well recieved in some areas.

Quote from: Adj on November 14, 2012, 12:39:26 AM
Quote from: Maso on November 14, 2012, 12:17:50 AM
Higher stun penalties for communicating with people over the Way if they don't have a mastered/advanced language in common?

That's an interesting thought.

Make it do the same thing as language. You way in the same language you are speaking. But you have chance to learn language by waying similar to hearing it spoken.

Totally against any changes to psi based upon language skills.

Ways are thoughts and thoughts should transcend language.

Ever seen a foreign language movie that screenplays someone's thoughts and feelings? Yeah, you still understand it though you don't know the language.
Choppin muthafuckaz up with mandibles since 1995.

I don't think thought transcend language... but that horse has been beaten to a pulp here so I'll leave it at that.

Inner monologues do not transcend languages. Images might.