Realistic RP regarding languages and accents

Started by Incognito, August 24, 2011, 12:57:49 PM

I love the idea of luir's setting you with tribal accent and it makes a lot of sense, without getting the bonus of bendune.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

I don't like that idea at all. I'd like for desert and tribal accents to remain solely the province of characters who clearly grew up speaking a language other than sirihish.

Actually now that I think about it ... meh. Red Storm peeps get southern accents. Luirites get northern. Makes sense.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Maybe Tuluki accents sound like Luirs accents, not the other way around.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Quote from: valeria on November 06, 2012, 07:44:09 AM
Maybe Tuluki accents sound like Luirs accents, not the other way around.

I think of a Luirs accent like you are someone from NJ.
:-)

Quote from: kayza on November 07, 2012, 12:02:23 PM
I think of a Luirs accent like you are someone from NJ.

The makeup slathered, orange skinned woman says, "You wouldn't understand, it's a Luirs thing."
I have learned that one can, in fact, typo to death.

Quote from: KismeticTuluk is not Inception, the text experience.

I dunno dude, you tout a lot of this 'everyone wants this change' and 'this would be a huge benefit to the game' but I don't really see it?

I think there could be more accents added, definitely. But I know you certainly don't speak for me when you say 'why can't we change this code already, everyone wants it!' White Knight arguments aren't as strong as personal statements. Although, I can get behind some of what you say.

Not sure about all the psionic-learning-language stuff. Sounds weird.

The thing I do like (Not sure if you meant this?) but being able to speak in a tongue you aren't native in (or don't have on your skill list). So, there's a couple elves sitting at the bar. You try to speak Allundean. You're literally awful at it, and they heckle you. But -- While you are trying to speak Allundean, and you hear allundean, you have a better chance of learning it. This is in effect you 'actively' trying to learn the language.

EDIT:

I also really like your idea for randomly failing an accent. That's great.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Yeah, randomly letting your accent slip would be neat. A certain subguild could possibly gain immunity to this.
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

Yeah, I like the failing accent thing too. The way it works in game is a little ridonkulous. If you have high wisdom you can join the Byn and learn every accent besides staccato in an IC year. A bit too easy to hide your roots.

Quote from: hyzhenhok on November 10, 2012, 07:44:07 AMIf you have high wisdom you can join the Byn
Something doesn't seem to match there ;)

Quote from: John on November 10, 2012, 07:49:06 AM
Quote from: hyzhenhok on November 10, 2012, 07:44:07 AMIf you have high wisdom you can join the Byn
Something doesn't seem to match there ;)

Join up with a breed with wisdom prioritized. Man, it spoils you to have skills improve that quickly. ;)

Quote from: hyzhenhok on November 10, 2012, 07:44:07 AM
Yeah, I like the failing accent thing too. The way it works in game is a little ridonkulous. If you have high wisdom you can join the Byn and learn every accent besides staccato in an IC year. A bit too easy to hide your roots.

There's a guy that puts out YuTube videos that can teach you the basics of an accent in five minutes. www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnjGNJ5JL8w

It's pretty nifty. You should look up his video on Americans. He seriously has us down pat.

Yeah, he's pretty fucking good.

Quote from: Narf on November 10, 2012, 10:57:49 AM
Quote from: hyzhenhok on November 10, 2012, 07:44:07 AM

There's a guy that puts out YuTube videos that can teach you the basics of an accent in five minutes. www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnjGNJ5JL8w

It's pretty nifty. You should look up his video on Americans. He seriously has us down pat.

Unfortunately Zalanthas doesn't have YouTube for those who want to learn accents. :(

I don't want psionics to be language based.

That is not how they were intended to be.

You can accept we have humanoids that are 12-15 ft tall without massive deformities (half-giants) but can't accept that maybe thought is a little different?

That said, I do think more -accents- would be neat. I dislike having someone from Luir's and people assuming they are Tuluki if they are in the south just because of the accent (without even looking for tattoos to prove/disprove it).
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Quote from: AmandaGreathouse on November 10, 2012, 12:23:20 PM

You can accept we have humanoids that are 12-15 ft tall without massive deformities (half-giants) but can't accept that maybe thought is a little different?

That said, I do think more -accents- would be neat. I dislike having someone from Luir's and people assuming they are Tuluki if they are in the south just because of the accent (without even looking for tattoos to prove/disprove it).

I don't like southerners -not- giving norther-accented sirihish speakers crap in Allanak because it might be a Luir's-er rather than a Tuluki.

So it would satisfy both of us.

Quote from: hyzhenhok on November 10, 2012, 12:39:51 PM
Quote from: AmandaGreathouse on November 10, 2012, 12:23:20 PM

I don't like southerners -not- giving norther-accented sirihish speakers crap in Allanak because it might be a Luir's-er rather than a Tuluki.

So it would satisfy both of us.

I don't mind them being shit, just outpost shit, not northie shit when they're midwesterners, so to speak. ;)

This discussion regarding a Luir's accent reminds me a little of an ask the staff post recently regarding citizenship in Luir's. Since it's not really a settlement. It's more like a Merchant House compound with a market and tavern thrown in for laughs.
Quote from: Riev on June 12, 2019, 02:20:04 PM
Do you kill your sparring partners once they are useless to you, so that you are king?

Quote from: path on November 10, 2012, 01:28:22 PM
This discussion regarding a Luir's accent reminds me a little of an ask the staff post recently regarding citizenship in Luir's. Since it's not really a settlement. It's more like a Merchant House compound with a market and tavern thrown in for laughs.

This -is- how cities everywhere start out, though.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Quote from: Patuk on November 10, 2012, 01:29:46 PM
Quote from: path on November 10, 2012, 01:28:22 PM

This -is- how cities everywhere start out, though.
Unless you are Allanak or Tuluk.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Patuk is correct. From such humble beginnings (single merchant house outpost) grew the once great city of Steinal.
Quote from: Riev on June 12, 2019, 02:20:04 PM
Do you kill your sparring partners once they are useless to you, so that you are king?

We don't think anything, but thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Your ideas aren't strengthened by pretending everyone secretly agrees with you. That's delusional.

I agree with some of your ideas. But I'm not part of Adj's silent majority. Count me out!
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: Adj on November 10, 2012, 09:13:40 PM
Quote from: Reiloth on November 10, 2012, 06:58:49 PM
We don't think anything, but thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Sorry you think my personal rebuttal of your idea of 'facts that everyone agrees with' is trolling.

Actually, everyone agrees with me Adj. Sorry. The silent majority has spoken.

~Jack Vance~