Becoming main renter..

Started by GithMaster, August 22, 2011, 03:20:20 AM

If you were added as a renter, and the main renter dies, is there a way to become the main renter other than stop paying the rent and staking out the apartment when its about to run out?

Request and give a good reason as to why you should be the main renter.

Quote from: Case on August 22, 2011, 04:30:07 AM

Or, as you said. Stay up until 7am your time because thats when the rent runs out, and re-rent the apartment. Then die to gortoks.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Case on August 22, 2011, 04:30:07 AM

is there a situation where "i currently live there and can afford it" is not a good enough reason to be the main renter? Maybe w/ enough requests the imms will automate this process.

automating it would introduce an interesting game where being a secondary renter has value in being able to eventually become the primary renter. Would people pay to be secondary renters? Would people *kill* to be primary renters? Interesting . . . much more interesting than camping the apartment merchant.

A slight derail from the original thread, but still related to renting issues to potentially be addressed by staff: What's the deal with the 'discount' you're supposed to recieve for renewing rent early?  I've never had evidence of this working.  Can anyone offer insight?

Regarding the OP: Valid concern.  Because of potential abuse in a number of ways, I don't think this would be something that can be codedly handed over to PCs though. 

If it were common consesus ICly that the main renter was murdered or died accidentally, with proper witness, then it would be logical to turn over ownership, right now this would require immediate staff intervention or a request.  One possible solution to this would be to ask for to add a main-renter flag to the main-renting PC and that when one of these PCs dies then staff is notified through immchat and/or email.  Subsequently, the death is investigated and if deemed that IC consensus of the main-renter death can be reasonably proved to the apartment clerks, then the tennant responsibility could be turned over.

While that does sound somewhat tideous process, I can see how it would enhence the IC experience for many people who are sub-renters, as well as free up apartments and result in more profit to the apartment building owners.

Quote from: Sephiroto on August 22, 2011, 05:28:12 PM
A slight derail from the original thread, but still related to renting issues to potentially be addressed by staff: What's the deal with the 'discount' you're supposed to recieve for renewing rent early?  I've never had evidence of this working.  Can anyone offer insight?

Regarding the OP: Valid concern.  Because of potential abuse in a number of ways, I don't think this would be something that can be codedly handed over to PCs though. 

What Abuse?  Killing the primary renter so you can get his stuff?  I can do that right now and camp the merchant to get the apartment, so how is this abuse?
Malifaxis has UBER board skills

There's always potential for abuse when a new automated system is proposed that would take away something another PC had, but this probably wouldn't be implemented due to how rarely it occurs.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Quote from: Sephiroto on August 22, 2011, 05:28:12 PM
What's the deal with the 'discount' you're supposed to recieve for renewing rent early?  I've never had evidence of this working.  Can anyone offer insight?

The help files aren't worded as cripsly as they should be. They [imho] imply that you get a cheaper rate for paying early. In actual fact, you only pay the pro-rata rate for the amount of days required to take the rented days back to 300.

If for example, it costs 125 sid for 125 days rent  , you have 200 days rent already paid, the maximum amount of rental days you can purchase is 100 (taking it up to 300, the max). Subsequently, you pay 100 sid, not 125 for the 100 days.

Hope this clears things up.