Can we have more interesting spice?

Started by Nana, July 30, 2011, 10:01:33 AM

Quote from: NOFUN on August 03, 2011, 12:12:59 PM
I've really no idea where you need to gather spice, though I'm sure I'd be more inclined to look if it gave my characters some kind of buff/didn't rape my characters stats in the long run.

It just seems as though giving spice a buff would encourage players to play spice addicts for all the wrong reasons.

Where you "need" to gather? I'm not sure if you're asking where to gather it or where it's gathered.

You can learn this easily in game by asking the right PCs. You can also learn even more "spice secrets" by finding the right PCs.
Quote from: Morrolan on July 16, 2013, 01:43:41 AM
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

I think the stat nerf is a good thing. I think it's realistic. I wish it were extended to excessive drinking.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: Feco on August 03, 2011, 11:49:58 AM
Quote from: Cind on August 03, 2011, 11:21:25 AM
like, one would make you explode, or something.

wat.

That is all.

Call it the Jaxa POW!  Or maybe Muarki Melem.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

I always find it disappointing when, in a world where spice is acceptably used medicinally, recreationally, and for physical enhancement, that people will still bring over a RL attitude that smoking/sniffing is morally wrong. Unless you're an Allanaki loyalist, there's no reason to think of the use of spice as improper or immoral, and yet, even in Luir's, I've witnessed people get pissy about it. The attitudes presented usually remind me of the holier-than-thou attitude that became prevalent in the Pacific Northwest when smoking started to become illegal in public places. Though maybe I'm reading it wrong and I've met more 'Nakki's than I thought.

As for playing a character with an addict background, it seems like the scavenger sub-guild would be well suited to both the back-story and surviving while supporting your addiction. Also, make friends with your local pawn broker.
"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry."
- Samuel Clemens

Spice is the second easiest thing in the game after salt.
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

Quote from: Bilanthri on August 15, 2011, 09:23:24 PM
I always find it disappointing when, in a world where spice is acceptably used medicinally, recreationally, and for physical enhancement, that people will still bring over a RL attitude that smoking/sniffing is morally wrong. Unless you're an Allanaki loyalist, there's no reason to think of the use of spice as improper or immoral, and yet, even in Luir's, I've witnessed people get pissy about it. The attitudes presented usually remind me of the holier-than-thou attitude that became prevalent in the Pacific Northwest when smoking started to become illegal in public places. Though maybe I'm reading it wrong and I've met more 'Nakki's than I thought.

As for playing a character with an addict background, it seems like the scavenger sub-guild would be well suited to both the back-story and surviving while supporting your addiction. Also, make friends with your local pawn broker.

I had a PC with horrible paranoia and social phobia, but she used spice to dull her fears and boost her confidence and thus interact with the outside world. She was an addict. She was fun to play.

But the way other PCs reacted when they realized my PC was addicted to spice, or the way they reacted when she busted out the spice in stressful or serious situations, just kind of killed it for me.

You know what could be useful for roleplaying/consistency purposes, if during character generation certain questions were asked, with typical responses, about the character's beliefs re: certain things, i.e., and then what they write in response it gets stuck in their bio or something.  Something like:

People in the north are typically terrified about magick, where it is outlawed and feared, and magickers are killed on sight.  Many tribes of elves, humans and other also fear and hate magick, and that fear and hatred is often even a part of their tribal background.  People of Allanak generally fear magick as well, balking quietly at magick's legality, and the templarate's claims that their laws and gems control their magickers.  Aside from magickers themselves, only a small number of people do not overtly fear and avoid magick.  What is your character's feeling about magick?

[Character inserts response here or inserts "not determined yet" or somecrap].

etc. etc. etc. for spice, certain other races, nationalism for one city or another, among other things.

I dig the Daggerfall system.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Didn't know that's "the daggerfall" system, only really have played this mud and Carrionfields.

Quote from: Ktavialt on August 16, 2011, 02:18:53 PM
Didn't know that's "the daggerfall" system, only really have played this mud and Carrionfields.

Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim.

Daggerfall is the second Elder Scrolls game, I believe.

what if spice had different long-term negative effects on different races?

half-elves would be an in-between between the human and elven side effects.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

Quote from: Cind on August 19, 2011, 08:48:50 PM
what if spice had different long-term negative effects on different races?

half-elves would be an in-between between the human and elven side effects.

I don't know how that would work, but it's possible that it might affect the Elves and Humans differently. Not sure. Try and find out!

Quote from: Saellyn on August 16, 2011, 02:42:24 PM
Quote from: Ktavialt on August 16, 2011, 02:18:53 PM

Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim.

Daggerfall is the second Elder Scrolls game, I believe.

arena daggerfall (Redguard) (Battlespire) morrowind oblivion skyrim

You forgot two, yet not very well known games. Mainly because they where very hard to get working. I'm not sure which actually came first redguard or battlespire, but these two games where released well before morrowind.

I really want to play redguard...but getting it to work is almost impossible.

I only know because in the Morrowind handbook it's called "The sequel to Arena and Daggerfall". I've never heard of Redguard or Battlespire nor do I know why they're so hard to...

What the hell? You just derailed the topic worse than I did.

Long story short spice is interesting if you use it right. My position is unassailable

Quote from: Erythil on August 20, 2011, 04:47:37 AM
I really want to play redguard...but getting it to work is almost impossible.

It really is, tried for 3 months. And i even used an old win 98 computer.

i always like the spice that makes you see things, scared one of my pc's

Quote from: Saellyn on August 20, 2011, 08:16:24 AM
I only know because in the Morrowind handbook it's called "The sequel to Arena and Daggerfall". I've never heard of Redguard or Battlespire nor do I know why they're so hard to...

What the hell? You just derailed the topic worse than I did.

Long story short spice is interesting if you use it right. My position is unassailable

Sorry for the derail, i just had to correct the timeline of the games, and Yes morrowing was the sequel to daggerfall. But the others had storylines of there own.