Can we have more interesting spice?

Started by Nana, July 30, 2011, 10:01:33 AM

Quote from: NanaI formally raise for discussion the notion that spice, as it is, sucks far too much to get anyone but the typical war-spice huffing hunters to want to do it regularly. For now, let's forget those non-soldiering PCs who do smoke it, namely, obscenely rich magickers, the obscenely rich salaried clan members, and the Kuracis, all of whom do not count.

Have you ever considered, possibly, that it's supposed to be that way? People who can afford drugs, and are interested in taking drugs, will buy them - people too poor to buy drugs either won't bother, or will buy it to the exclusion of buying necessities because they're addicted. Spice is a drug, obviously, but it is also a luxury of sorts. It's no wonder that there's a whole GMH focused on selling the best stuff.

I also think that a lot of the current spices that you say are for killing stuff can be useful in other applications. Instead of thinking "oh look, this spice boosts my strength", think about what that means not only for a soldier, but for a minor, laborer, etc. When you apply this line of thinking to other spices you'll quickly realize that the way spices are coded actually allows for a broader base of users than you think.

Quote from: askaran on July 30, 2011, 06:51:57 PM
Dont want new spice. Want docs on the current ones.. Or atleast someone who knows what they're doing to tell me where to look.

You should try the 'discuss' command on spice-dealing NPCs. That's likely the closest we're going to get to public docs.

Wow. Cant believe I didn't think of that. Actually forgot the discuss command existed. Thankyou!
Quote from: Cutthroat on August 22, 2009, 10:57:13 PMSo Eunoli Winrothol, Samos Rennik, and Thrain Ironsword walk into a bar. The Red Fang bartender looks up and says, "Get the fuck out of my bar."

Spice is fine and fun. Amen.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

being able to skin a certain type of spice out of a kryl corpse.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

Quote from: askaran on July 30, 2011, 06:51:57 PM
Dont want new spice. Want docs on the current ones.. Or atleast someone who knows what they're doing to tell me where to look.

Talk to a Kuraci.
<SanveanArmageddon> d00d
---
[Laeris] (11:52:53 AM): If penicillin started spilling out of your butt, what would you do with it?

I'm not sure what you mean by useful - spice is already useful as a roleplaying prop, and already useful in terms of the coded benefits it provides.

There's already a spice that's codedly helpful without necessarily being meant for combat (although it's equally useful to combat characters, I suppose.)

July 31, 2011, 04:21:09 AM #31 Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 04:23:36 AM by Reiloth
I think Nana is talking about crack.

In the real world, there are rich people drugs and poor people drugs. Cocaine (Tho) is for rich people.

There could be a watered down version, spliced with something else sort of nasty and weird that maybe has a much higher-high...That lasts a shorter amount of time, and is very, very addictive. Gangs (The Guild, Kurac) could release this into poor neighborhoods (The 'rinth, Allanak) and watch as the silly little poor people murder each other for money to buy this highly addictive, not very helpful (Though it seems like it at first) drug. Mmmmm.

(While I love this idea, I don't think Staff would be interested in coding new spice for Armageddon 1.0. Despite everyone's eyerolling and yawning at 2.0, I think this would be much better suited to that new enviroment, along with new poisons, new hunting systems, a new class system, a new magick system...)
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: NanaI formally raise for discussion the notion that spice, as it is, sucks far too much to get anyone but the typical war-spice huffing hunters to want to do it regularly. For now, let's forget those non-soldiering PCs who do smoke it, namely, obscenely rich magickers, the obscenely rich salaried clan members, and the Kuracis, all of whom do not count.

I reject the premise.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Wait a minute.... Prolonged spice use kills your stats?

Quote from: Qzzrbl on July 31, 2011, 08:13:33 AM
Wait a minute.... Prolonged spice use kills your stats?

Of course it does, why do you think the Byn has such low Wisdom scores?

Quote from: Reiloth on July 31, 2011, 04:21:09 AM

In the real world, there are rich people drugs and poor people drugs. Cocaine (Tho) is for rich people.

There could be a watered down version, spliced with something else sort of nasty and weird that maybe has a much higher-high...That lasts a shorter amount of time, and is very, very addictive. Gangs (The Guild, Kurac) could release this into poor neighborhoods (The 'rinth, Allanak) and watch as the silly little poor people murder each other for money to buy this highly addictive, not very helpful (Though it seems like it at first) drug. Mmmmm.

(While I love this idea, I don't think Staff would be interested in coding new spice for Armageddon 1.0. Despite everyone's eyerolling and yawning at 2.0, I think this would be much better suited to that new enviroment, along with new poisons, new hunting systems, a new class system, a new magick system...)

Yeah basically this. Thanks.

Eh, Thodeliv is more like opium, and it's not just for rich people.  I wouldn't extrapolate backward from the PC economy to the vNPC economy, because we all know the former is completely retarded with respect to most things.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Reiloth on July 31, 2011, 04:21:09 AM
This sentences is hilarious out of context.
"Never was anything great achieved without danger."
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

Could we be able to sift all the spices?  That would be nice.

New dwarven focus:  Become Scarface.

"JOO BONE SWORDS DEY CANT HURT MEH! YOU KANK-A-ROACH!"

On a more serious note:  From what I have encountered spice is fucking expensive.  In real life we have jobs that pay us every so often.  On the mud you have to spend valuable playtime actually earning sid, unless you have one of the codedly paid automatically jobs.

I mean if IRL you only got paid 100 dollars a month, and some cocaine cost 95 dollars of it.  You'd probably be less likely to even start or try it, let alone be addicted because you COULDNT BUY ENOUGH!  There would be other things:  Food, shelter, water.

If Arm would pay people while they were offline because they were virtually "grebbing" the entire week... then maybe.  But at its current implementation unless someone starts really undercutting the spice price I dont know how you manage to get it frequently enough without having a coded way to make tons of coin.

Maybe thats just my experience, though.

Im still making that dwarf.

August 01, 2011, 09:52:41 AM #40 Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 09:55:08 AM by number13
What passes for a street drug in the Rinth really is priced way, way too high. But! If it weren't easier to walk elsewhere and get cheaper stuff, I'd say that extreme price is a good thing, as it spurs rinthi PCs into enterprise to try to earn enough.

Try playing a spice-focused rinthi dwarf who doesn't know anything beyond the alleyways. He can't make it to Red Storm or Luirs, due to a crippling agoraphobia, but he -needs- that next hit. (pick out one of the more expensive spices for his personal favorite) Or a half-giant that just too stupid to make it out of the alleyways.  Or even just a human who starts the game severely addicted.  Try to figure out what you can do to earn enough 'sidian to get your fix, with the time you have available. No grebbing!  Your character isn't going to be on the House Jal gravy train or shoveling poop.

I've tried the above a few times, and it really does provide impetus for action.  It's pretty easy to justify your character mugging the shit out of PCs and NPCs alike when he needs a couple hundred coins every IG week, conning and/or begging from everyone you meet, or committing to even less savory courses of action.  And the addiction keeps you out of the Byn and other southside organizations for the most part -- otherwise it's just too easy to justify a semi-successful character buying his way out of the alleyways.

Quote from: number13 on August 01, 2011, 09:52:41 AM
What passes for a street drug in the Rinth really is priced way, way too high. But! If it weren't easier to walk elsewhere and get cheaper stuff, I'd say that extreme price is a good thing, as it spurs rinthi PCs into enterprise to try to earn enough.

Try playing a spice-focused rinthi dwarf who doesn't know anything beyond the alleyways. He can't make it to Red Storm or Luirs, due to a crippling agoraphobia, but he -needs- that next hit. (pick out one of the more expensive spices for his personal favorite) Or a half-giant that just too stupid to make it out of the alleyways.  Or even just a human who starts the game severely addicted.  Try to figure out what you can do to earn enough 'sidian to get your fix, with the time you have available. No grebbing!  Your character isn't going to be on the House Jal gravy train or shoveling poop.

I've tried the above a few times, and it really does provide impetus for action.  It's pretty easy to justify your character mugging the shit out of PCs and NPCs alike when he needs a couple hundred coins every IG week, conning and/or begging from everyone you meet, or committing to even less savory courses of action.  And the addiction keeps you out of the Byn and other southside organizations for the most part -- otherwise it's just too easy to justify a semi-successful character buying his way out of the alleyways.

While I love that concept, it's pretty zany that a Player would have to jump through that many hoops and have that kind of concept in order to have a true spice-addict.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: Sephiroto on July 31, 2011, 08:39:23 PM

Per the help files, some spices are refined from the raw product that's gathered from the Sea of Eternal Dust... so they don't occur naturally.

and the fact that most PCs are in positions to be able to have coded paying jobs or make lots of money helps. most of us aren't eating rotten petoch fruits.

i feel like experimenting with your spice kills stats thing to see if its true.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

Quote from: Kronibas on August 01, 2011, 12:07:56 PM

Per the help files, some spices are refined from the raw product that's gathered from the Sea of Eternal Dust... so they don't occur naturally.

Ah right right.  And we buy them from all those PC Kuraci in Storm, right?

You cam get a raw version of every single type of spice in game from the wilds. Not every type is siftable, however, and that is purposeful. It exists, but where and in what form are great things to find out IC.
NOFUN:
Random Armageddon.thoughts: fuck dwarves, fuck magickers, fuck f-me's, fuck city elves and nerf everything I don't use
Maxid:
My position is unassailable.
Gunnerblaster:
My breeds discriminate against other breeds.

That's how hardcore I am.

Quote from: Nana on July 30, 2011, 10:55:28 AM

As evidenced by the fact that I rarely see addicted PCs, yes.

Spice effects last too long and spice is too easy to get. No one is going to have withdrawal symptoms when you can smoke up in the morning and be high for three days straight -- granted, this may require logging out to work.
Quote from: Morrolan on July 16, 2013, 01:43:41 AM
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

i think a few spices having different effects on overdose apart from death would be neat. like, one would make you explode, or something.

Quote from: Cind on August 03, 2011, 11:21:25 AM
like, one would make you explode, or something.

wat.

That is all.
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

August 03, 2011, 12:12:59 PM #49 Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 12:15:01 PM by NOFUN
I've really no idea where you need to gather spice, though I'm sure I'd be more inclined to look if it gave my characters some kind of buff/didn't rape my characters stats in the long run.

It just seems as though giving spice a buff would encourage players to play spice addicts for all the wrong reasons.
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
̡͌
    l̡̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡
ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ:・゚ KAWAII WAVE!!:,,ø¤º°¨ ¨°º¤KEEP THE KAWAII GOING ¸,,ø¤º°¨ ¨°º¤øº LETS GO KAWAII !¤¤º°¨¨°º¤øº¤ø,,¸¸ø¤º°¨,, ø¤º°¨¨°º