Re: Non-Random Ride Thoughts

Started by RogueGunslinger, July 20, 2011, 12:39:47 PM

Quote from: Rhyden on July 22, 2011, 02:19:18 PM
Quote from: Shepard on July 21, 2011, 04:04:48 PM
If anything, I hate the lag from falling off, it's a sigh

Otherwise, I never have any issues as long as I keep both hands empty - even at novice and while not on the road. So, shrug.

Agreed.

It's so annoying when you fall off your mount, then your superior yells at you to hurry up, and all you can do is wait for that 5 second whatever lag to be over.

I think the deduction of HP when falling off is enough. The lag is a little much, just as it is with rescue and falling over while drunk.

It's annoying as well as unrealistic.
"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."
~ Doug Larson

"I tried regular hot sauce, but it just wasn't doing the trick, so I started blasting my huevos with BEAR MACE."
~Synthesis

Quote from: Bacon on July 22, 2011, 02:27:11 PM
Quote from: Rhyden on July 22, 2011, 02:19:18 PM
Quote from: Shepard on July 21, 2011, 04:04:48 PM
If anything, I hate the lag from falling off, it's a sigh

Otherwise, I never have any issues as long as I keep both hands empty - even at novice and while not on the road. So, shrug.

Agreed.

It's so annoying when you fall off your mount, then your superior yells at you to hurry up, and all you can do is wait for that 5 second whatever lag to be over.

I think the deduction of HP when falling off is enough. The lag is a little much, just as it is with rescue and falling over while drunk.

It's annoying as well as unrealistic.

Unrealistic?  Have you ever fallen off any mount at any speed?  You will get the wind knocked out of you.  Jumping right up isn't an option.

and for the record, for those of you who claim it's as much as 'a bash by a mekillot', it isn't, I verified.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

July 22, 2011, 02:33:20 PM #52 Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 02:36:38 PM by Bacon
Yes, I have. You don't get the wind knocked out of you every time. You don't land on your ass, every time either. I've landed on my feet from being thrown off a horse before. I've been thrown off and jumped right up after the horse before too.
Hitting the ground on your ass, taking damage, and being stunned every single time you fall off is unrealistic. I think the degree of such a failure should have modifiers depending on your agility to determine the amount of damage, how long the delay is, and whether or not you fall onto your ass or get thrown and keep your feet.
"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."
~ Doug Larson

"I tried regular hot sauce, but it just wasn't doing the trick, so I started blasting my huevos with BEAR MACE."
~Synthesis

I've fallen off a horse, too.

It hurts.

Deal With It. (tm)

Quote from: Bacon on July 22, 2011, 02:33:20 PM
Yes, I have. You don't get the wind knocked out of you every time. You don't land on your ass, every time either. I've landed on my feet from being thrown off a horse before. I've been thrown off and jumped right up after the horse before too.
Hitting the ground on your ass, taking damage, and being stunned every single time you fall off is unrealistic. I think the degree of such a failure should have modifiers depending on your agility to determine the amount of damage, how long the delay is, and whether or not you fall onto your ass or get thrown and keep your feet.

Hey Morgenes, with the poop code in, you could really do some cool stuff with critical ride failures and quadriplegia.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Delirium on July 22, 2011, 02:43:31 PM

It hurts.

Deal With It. (tm)

Well, you might be stunned and cry every time you get a little bump or bruise and lay there whimpering.

Not everyone is that way.

Deal With It.(tm)

~ Doug Larson

~Synthesis

Quote from: Bacon on July 22, 2011, 02:33:20 PM

Your position sounds unassailable.

I can agree this is slightly unrealistic that it would happen every time and also agree that it's not worth coding everything in the game to your specifications of realism.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Quote from: Nyr on July 22, 2011, 02:54:09 PM
I can agree this is slightly unrealistic that it would happen every time and also agree that it's not worth coding everything in the game to your specifications of realism.

Nyr, I can accept that. That's fine. It doesn't bother me one bit for someone on staff to say so. In fact, I appreciate the considerate and direct answer in regards to the issue and the game.

What does irritate me is people who have no idea what they are talking about disregarding what I'm saying as bullshit when it is fact that I can prove with video evidence and my own personal life experience. (Not directed at you Nyr.)
~ Doug Larson

~Synthesis

Quote from: Bacon on July 22, 2011, 02:52:41 PM
Quote from: Delirium on July 22, 2011, 02:43:31 PM

It hurts.

Deal With It. (tm)

Well, you might be stunned and cry every time you get a little bump or bruise and lay there whimpering.

Not everyone is that way.

Deal With It.(tm)

::)

Yes, naturally, I lay there whimpering and crying like a baby. There's no middle ground between 'landing on your feet like a ninja' and 'acting like a crybaby retard.'

Your position is unassailable.

Mine is that I don't think it's worth getting up in arms about.

If it isn't then why bother posting in the first place and being rather insulting about it with your "Deal With it." crap? Why not just say that in the first place? That is not at all the way your post came across. It came across as insulting. Noone was up in arms about the issue itself. What I was "up in arms" about was people acting insulting toward me about it. If your opinion was: "I agree it's not realistic but I don't think it's a big deal." Why not say that? What was the purpose of posting it in an antagonistic way if you didn't intend to antagonize anyone?
~ Doug Larson

~Synthesis

I was joking. It's a habit of mine. I apologize if it came across differently in text.

Then I apologize for misunderstanding.
~ Doug Larson

~Synthesis

Quote from: Bacon on July 22, 2011, 02:59:12 PM
Quote from: Nyr on July 22, 2011, 02:54:09 PM

Nyr, I can accept that. That's fine. It doesn't bother me one bit for someone on staff to say so. In fact, I appreciate the considerate and direct answer in regards to the issue and the game.

What does irritate me is people who have no idea what they are talking about disregarding what I'm saying as bullshit when it is fact that I can prove with video evidence and my own personal life experience. (Not directed at you Nyr.)

Anecdotes don't matter too terribly much.  While it's admirable that you've managed to nimbly fall off of horses before without hurting yourself (or without falling on your ass, or while managing to land on your feet), it is not statistically relevant.  You can fall off of a horse for lots of reasons, due to terrain, lack of skill, or a rather untrained beast.  You can get thrown from a horse despite great skill and flat terrain.

You're being disregarded/easily targeted likely more because you're giving off an internet tough guy vibe.  "I land on my feet when I fall off of horses." "I get right the hell back up when I fall off of horses."  "I've got video evidence and life experience to back it up."  In the end, you're arguing about your own personal experience on a forum for a text-based video game due to your belief that something in-game is slightly unrealistic because you, personally, have had some experiences that are not only irrelevant, but statistically irrelevant (in the real world as well as the gameworld).  It is personally notable, but you'd be an outlier with regards to the majority of the population of the planet.  If you had the skill you attribute to yourself in real life in Zalanthas, you would not be falling off of your mount anyway.  If you want to use your real-life experiences to discuss something in-game, try to tone it down a bit, and don't make the connection between "I can do it" and "everyone should be able to do it, and if you can't, you're a big fat baby."  Not all of us have the reflexes and mythical powers of a cat in freefall.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

Morgenes, thank you very much.

- The Council of Allanaki Mages
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

July 22, 2011, 03:37:04 PM #64 Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 04:05:35 PM by Bacon
It's not mythical to fall off a horse or bull and get right up and on your feet. That's primarly my point. Go search youtube for bareback bronc riding and bull riding videos. These are animals trying viciously to throw the rider and -most- of these people are jumping right to their feet. It's not as uncommon as you guys think it is. That's my point. It's more common to get right to your feet, you're taught to do so. So that you do not get trampled by the animal. My point is that you guys are wrong thinking it's rare, or it's some kind of ninja feat or something, it's not. It's more common among people who ride all the time, (which describes most pcs who ride on Zalanthas) than you all believe it to be.

I'm just trying to point out, whether or not there is any intention to change it, that some of your perceptions on how it really is, is wrong. (When I say your I mean those who think getting right up is the rarity, not singling anyone out.)

Edit: And I didn't thank Morgenes for looking into it and tweaking it. Thank you for that.
~ Doug Larson

~Synthesis

July 22, 2011, 03:52:17 PM #65 Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 04:02:26 PM by KankWhisperer
I agree with Bacon, as someone who has actually owned and ridden horses, that being stunned would be a rare thing. You may not want to get up but you can. Having played a 'byn sergeant I also will say that the time to get a rider to stay on a mount seems unrealistic. Tame mounts it's fairly easy to not get tossed even on some fairly steep terrain ESPECIALLY after a few weeks training. I am sure someone will mention these are scary beetles so whatever on that point, these are superhuman zalanthans too so that cancels out the horse->beetle differences imo. Ever time we recruited a non riding boost warrior, I was like oh fuck, not this shit again, maybe in a rl month or two of constant riding they won't fall so much as to make contracts impossible!

Also to rebut Nyr, it goes both way, you can't assume everyone is a weak kneed nerd who can't do physical activities just like you can't assume everyone is superman. What exactly are you basing your "evidence" on. Anecdotal evidence is better than no evidence.

Quote from: KankWhisperer on July 22, 2011, 03:52:17 PM
Having played a 'byn sergeant I also will say that the time to get a rider to stay on a mount seems unrealistic. ... Ever time we recruited a non riding boost warrior, I was like oh dear, not this nonsense again, maybe in a rl month or two of constant riding they won't fall so much as to make contracts impossible!

That may be more a Byn facilities problem than a ride problem.  (I'm totally sympathetic; just saying...the Byn doesn't have an easy way to train riders.)
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

How about we try the new changes before we go further. I agree that getting stunned wouldnt happen 100% of the time, but I'm not changing it right now.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

sigh

Quote from: Bacon on July 22, 2011, 03:37:04 PM
It's not mythical to fall off a horse or bull and get right up and on your feet. That's primarly my point.

It is mythical for cats to always land on their feet; I think you missed the joke reference and the point, which had nothing to do with getting back up, but landing on your feet and how not everyone can do that.  (Not even every cat can do that, though most do, usually.  I guess it's not very mythical for cats to always land on their feet since they usually do, but it IS mythical for people to always land on their feet, as evidenced by them not doing so.)

Go search youtube for bareback bronc riding and bull riding videos. These are animals trying viciously to throw the rider and -most- of these people are jumping right to their feet. It's not as uncommon as you guys think it is. That's my point.  It's more common to get right to your feet, you're taught to do so. So that you do not get trampled by the animal. My point is that you guys are wrong thinking it's rare, or it's some kind of ninja feat or something, it's not. It's more common among people who ride all the time, (which describes most pcs who ride on Zalanthas) than you all believe it to be.

I am not surprised to find that people that make a living or a hobby out of getting on animals that want to throw them off learn to deal with it with training.  I also am not surprised that somehow this is back to having lag after falling off of a mount because people who are expert riders in real life don't have lag when they fall off of their mounts.  I already agreed with the whole "it is probably not objectively realistic," what more do you want?  Would it help if I were to admit that I've spent most of my childhood and teen years riding horses, and that I'm quite familiar with some changes we could make to the riding system to make it more realistic--but would probably not do so because it's usually better to spend that effort elsewhere?  I already mentioned the latter, but maybe the former is important to note, too.

I'm just trying to point out, whether or not there is any intention to change it, that some of your perceptions on how it really is, is wrong.

Well, here's my perception.  Is it wrong?  I don't know much about them thar four-legged contraptions.  ;)

Bronc riding, bareback riding, anything else done in the midst of a rodeo ---->  more than likely involves high skill in riding, one would assume
billions of people ----> probably do not do the above
billions of people ----> probably do not have high skill in riding (some likely have no skill in riding)

Quote from: brytta.leofa on July 22, 2011, 04:12:01 PM
Having played a 'byn sergeant I also will say that the time to get a rider to stay on a mount seems unrealistic. ... Ever time we recruited a non riding boost warrior, I was like oh dear, not this nonsense again, maybe in a rl month or two of constant riding they won't fall so much as to make contracts impossible!

That may be more a Byn facilities problem than a ride problem.  (I'm totally sympathetic; just saying...the Byn doesn't have an easy way to train riders.)

It's more of a "I'd rather be sparring than practicing ride" problem.  Byn Sarges always have plenty of mount tickets, and the stable fee is the same cost as a few lumps of salt.  Ride out to the Salt Flats at max speed, everybody gets a few fails and a ride bump, forage a bit to cover mount costs, head back in before people start to get dehydrated.  Problem solved.  You can get all that done in about ten minutes, if you make sure nobody is dicking around.

If no one likes, it and no one thinks it is realistic, and no one is having any fun with it..why are we doing it?

I love it when I'm running a noob down and they fall off their mount.  Head over heels makes the boots much more accessible.

Quote from: Synthesis on July 22, 2011, 04:22:45 PM
Quote from: brytta.leofa on July 22, 2011, 04:12:01 PM

It's more of a "I'd rather be sparring than practicing ride" problem.  Byn Sarges always have plenty of mount tickets, and the stable fee is the same cost as a few lumps of salt.  Ride out to the Salt Flats at max speed, everybody gets a few fails and a ride bump, forage a bit to cover mount costs, head back in before people start to get dehydrated.  Problem solved.  You can get all that done in about ten minutes, if you make sure nobody is dicking around.

Problem not solved. when I said constant riding, I meant every RL day I would take the men out on long trips and let them fall and use the teach command (with me having master ride) and it was still too long (for warriors) before I felt can we ..you know ...ride to Luir's?

The ability to delay gratification is a predictor of success later in life, you know.

July 22, 2011, 04:29:16 PM #74 Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 04:30:52 PM by Bacon
Nyr,

I specifically said, those that do ride animals frequently. Not a majority of our modern, automobile  driving society. Although, prior to the invention of the car, most people did ride animals. The rodeo thing was an extreme version of what we're talking about. I'm saying your average rider also, usually jumps right up when thrown more often than not. It's something you're taught early on, not an advanced thing. Even as a child I understood the concept: If he throws you get up and away fast so you don't get stepped on. Your average rider is taught this and more often than not can do so. Your average rider on Zalanthas, would probably also be familiar with the concept since it's a concept of survival in dealing with riding an animal. You only stay there on the ground, if you're so hurt you physically cannot get your ass up and out of the way, or you're too stupid not to get your ass up.

Anyway, I'm going to leave it at that and check out the tweaking as Morg said and deal with it being the way it is until/if it's changed to be better. If you still disagree, that's fine, we can just agree to disagree and leave it at that.
~ Doug Larson

~Synthesis