Re: Non-Random Ride Thoughts

Started by RogueGunslinger, July 20, 2011, 12:39:47 PM

Quote from: Riev on July 20, 2011, 02:36:14 PM
At low Jman ride, with both hands on the reins, there are particular rooms where I -always- fall off. Not a "refuses to move", but a full on fall off, mount goes running away situation.

I would not count these rooms as "Ranger Country", and others with less riding skill and a weapon out seemed to be just fine.

My agility is likely higher than theirs, and they had no riding gear.

Apart from you not knowing what someone else's riding skill/guild/agility may or may not be, no one has bugged this.  (I mean that quite literally, there are no bugs from anyone about "I always fall off in this room while riding," etc.  Granted, I am looking for all bugs with the string "ride," "riding," "fall," "falling," or "mount," and it is possible I could've missed something, but I doubt it.  I even tossed in "always.")  We must has data before we can has answers. If you know specifically which room it is, you may send it in a request and I can look.  (If you don't know specifically which room and it looks exactly like every other room, don't send in a request--please bug it instead.)

Ballpark answers:
1.  The room you're talking about is coded wrongly and should be fixed.
2.  The room you're talking about it described wrongly and should be fixed.
3.  Your skill could be screwy.  Incredibly unlikely, but if so, it should be fixed.
4.  Nothing is wrong.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

I think the room may just be coded wrongly, because its in a place leftover from a long time ago. Unfortunately, my current character doesn't have many opportunities to go this room, and I never thought to bug it. It was always "Oop that rough area is coming up, better sheathe the sword".

After being in QA for 4 years, the last things on my mind are "I should file a bug report."
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Riev on July 20, 2011, 05:33:32 PM
After being in QA for 4 years, the last things on my mind are "I should file a bug report."

Well, that's the thing. If you don't bug it, we can't fix it, because we don't know about it. Submitting bugs/typos/ideas is one of the ways that players can help better the game. The room has thousands and thousands of rooms, objects, and NPCs, and without specific information from you guys it's pretty much impossible for us to find small errors.
Quote from: Decameron on September 16, 2010, 04:47:50 PM
Character: "I've been working on building a new barracks for some tim-"
NPC: "Yeah, that fell through, sucks but YOUR HOUSE IS ON FIREEE!! FIRE-KANKS!!"

Quote from: Synthesis on July 20, 2011, 03:11:56 PM
Quote from: valeria on July 20, 2011, 02:49:21 PM
I played a dwarf warrior who didn't have agility as a dump stat, and I will tell you that learning to ride was painful.  Very, very painful.  On the road it was even painful.  Having wisdom at 'poor' only made it more excruciating.  Never again will I roll a dwarf warrior who doesn't start with at least subguild ride.  Never never.

We're not really talking about the grind...we're talking about the cap.

I have an extremely long lived dwarven warrior with ride listed at joruneyman. I would be shocked if his ride isn't maxed, as he's spent a very long time atop a mount throughout his life. His agility is currently listed at 'good', but at one point it was 'very good'. I cannot, nor have I ever been able to, ride with something in both hands. I have experienced areas that, with nothing in either hand, walking the mount, wearing riding gloves and wearing riding boots, with an encumbrance listed as 'heavy, but manageable', I critically fail 2-3 times in the span of 20 or so rooms, to the point of falling off, or falling off and having my mount move on without me.
I, like X-D, have begun ignoring this in game. I'm not exactly sure how I could role play out my character, after having been in the saddle for 30+ IG years (of actual play time mind you, not virtual background time before the character was made), is still so apparently inept at staying atop a mount as to fall off one in every ten leagues or so in all but the easiest to navigate terrain. I find it completely ridiculous, as well as completely unnecessary and completely unrealistic to boot.  I hate it.

You know "heavy, but manageable" encumbrance really borks most (if not all) agility-related skills, right?  You might be pleasantly surprised by giving this a test run at "light."
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

His dwarf is gonna be so badass now.

Quote from: Synthesis on July 20, 2011, 06:48:48 PM
You know "heavy, but manageable" encumbrance really borks most (if not all) agility-related skills, right?  You might be pleasantly surprised by giving this a test run at "light."

Yeah, I thought the other other point of a mount was to load them up to the breaking limit with large bags full of all my crap so that I don't have to at heavy encumbrance.

Just throwing my two cents in that I have never had any of the issues described by X-D, my rangers never had it (obviously) but neither did my human 'gickers.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

QuoteYeah, I thought the other other point of a mount was to load them up to the breaking limit with large bags full of all my crap so that I don't have to at heavy encumbrance.
Not to mention giving elves a reason to steal them.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

I would like to point out the seriousness of bug reports.

The infamous repair_armor skill which was broken for ever and ever to the point that taking some subguilds was considered pointless. All merchants were doomed to forever not make armor unless subguilded into armor making as well. Until a cunning fellow decided to provide logs and bug report it to the staff. Lo and behold a fix was given "Armor Repair skill fixed so it increases with use -- Morgenes." so even if somethings been broken so long it's become common knowledge that it's broken. Best to log and then bug report it.

Quote from: X-D on July 20, 2011, 07:35:06 PM
QuoteYeah, I thought the other other point of a mount was to load them up to the breaking limit with large bags full of all my crap so that I don't have to at heavy encumbrance.
Not to mention giving elves a reason to steal them.

For real! Think of the poor elves!
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

If anything, I hate the lag from falling off, it's a sigh

Otherwise, I never have any issues as long as I keep both hands empty - even at novice and while not on the road. So, shrug.

The raiders dream, mounted AND unarmed.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

you know what i dream of at night? four-legged lizard mounts. the two-legged ones in the game are great, but i don't want to mutilate them.

this thread makes me want to see someone app the <insert sdesc here> dwarf. Focus: Create the Ultimate Mount.

A lot of horrendous, mad-scientist-esque breeding of various mounts that would be interpreted even by the Kah as crimes against both humanity and nature.

It would be fun to rp when others come across your monstrosities. and your successes. but mostly your monstrosities.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

What? Inix walk on four legs.

Quote from: Yam on July 21, 2011, 04:23:37 PM
What? Inix walk on four legs.

i always pictured inixes in my mind as komodo dragons and the sunlons and sunbacks as lizards... thanks, though. restating: skinny lizards.

I am here, riding a skinny lizard barely larger than myself, and it can climb mountains! That's dream fuel for tonight.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

Quote from: Cind on July 21, 2011, 04:27:23 PM
I always pictured inixes in my mind as komodo dragons and the sunlons and sunbacks as lizards chocobos
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote from: Delirium on August 04, 2014, 10:11:38 AM
fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

Quote from: http://www.armageddon.org/general/beasts.html#inixThese large lizards are capable of carrying even half-giants, albeit under duress.

???
Quote from: Decameron on September 16, 2010, 04:47:50 PM
Character: "I've been working on building a new barracks for some tim-"
NPC: "Yeah, that fell through, sucks but YOUR HOUSE IS ON FIREEE!! FIRE-KANKS!!"

i've never seen a ratlon for sale, actually. or anyone on a ratlon, though i haven't become part of an army or anything. although having certain mounts being rare in terms of their usefulness to the masses would be normal anyway; i don't exactly see a real need for mountain climbing among enough people to warrant greater numbers of ratlons.

i still want to see one.

I had a ratlon once.

It fell down a hole, along with a bunch of other sharp stuff.

I decided that it died in the fall and asked a staff member to slay it.

I still regret that sometimes.

My Kadian PC inherited a ratlon from one of her predecessors. Both the predecessor and my merchant rode our ratlon fairly regularly.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Ratlons are theoretically pretty sweet but generally speaking you aren't riding a mount for climbing ability. You're riding for using-somebody-else's-stamina-points ability.

And besides - if you guys just want to look ballin', you should be riding horses.

Quote from: lordcooper on July 21, 2011, 04:40:35 PM
Quote from: Cind on July 21, 2011, 04:27:23 PM
I always pictured inixes in my mind as komodo dragons and the sunlons and sunbacks as lizards chocobos

Chocobos are erdlus. Sunbacks are like friendly riding raptors. Sunlons are gross lizard mules.

Next reboot we have adjusted the terrain modifiers for riding.  On reflection, looking at a non-guild/subguild rider at their 'max', we think they were too difficult, leading to more failures than should have been.  So, riding should get easier next reboot, and thanks for bringing to our attention the specific case of a non-guild/subguild rider's max.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: Shepard on July 21, 2011, 04:04:48 PM
If anything, I hate the lag from falling off, it's a sigh

Otherwise, I never have any issues as long as I keep both hands empty - even at novice and while not on the road. So, shrug.

Agreed.

It's so annoying when you fall off your mount, then your superior yells at you to hurry up, and all you can do is wait for that 5 second whatever lag to be over.

I think the deduction of HP when falling off is enough. The lag is a little much, just as it is with rescue and falling over while drunk.

Wow. That's really responsive. Thank you.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."