Armageddon's Rape Policy

Started by Barzalene, July 16, 2011, 09:33:35 AM

Quote from: NOFUN on July 17, 2011, 04:32:52 PM
Quote from: Pills on July 17, 2011, 04:24:22 PM
Quote from: NOFUN on July 17, 2011, 04:22:34 PM
Quote from: Kismetic on July 17, 2011, 11:24:46 AM
You can play a domineering, creepy asshole without delving too far into the interweird.  If you want to play rape, go play a tentacle monster on some fetish MUSH.
Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but I'm reading this as "play ARM the way I want or stop playing altogether"

When it comes to rape, this is correct. [ b](in my opinion)[/b]
ftfy.

Well, since you fucked up the BBcode, you didn't fix anything, mister. And it's the opinion of the staff as well, hence the policy.

I don't think anyone is advocating that rape is good, fun, or a positive aspect of human or animal culture.

The fact is, the policy currently ALLOWS rape, as long as there is consent given. If there is no consent, the offended player has the right to stop the course of RP and not allow the rape to occur. That is the policy.

Everyone arguing that rape is bad, and shouldn't be allowed, is arguing -against- the current staff-set policy. There is no argument, that is the rule. Rape is allowed, but it -must- be consented. Any arguments should be taken up with the goddamned Producers of the game if you want it changed, otherwise you're just screaming at a wailing wall.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

I don't think anyone's actually wanting to break this rule, sheesh. I think what you're seeing is backlash at those people that think you're some sort of super-pervert-horrible-person because you fade a rape scene.

I never was involved in a rape scene, nor would I ever play one out. I could see some characters of mine fading it, though. And if the other player says "no consent"? Well, golly, it didn't happen! It's really a simple rule. Still, I think that in the game world, terrible things happen. I don't pass OOC judgement on players for murderin', mudsexin' and torturin' (unless they're somehow twinking out like crazy), and I likewise deal with IG rape strictly ICly. I think that's the "argument" we're seeing in this thread. And clearly, the rule is a good one to have.

Aaaand, Riev essentially just said what I'm saying now, but I'm posting away anyway.
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

July 17, 2011, 04:45:33 PM #79 Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 04:47:37 PM by NOFUN
Quote from: Pills on July 17, 2011, 04:35:10 PM
NOFUN, why are you so deadset on being able to rape people IG?
Because that is my fetish
No, I'm not. Truth be told I wouldn't give consent if another PC tried to rape mine, and I wouldn't attempt to rape another.

And it's not that I'm deadset on, it's people looking down on people for doing one thing while bragging about doing another. It's good play to run about amputating and torturing but if your character touches another characters breast without asking then you're OOCLY worse than Hitler.

I consider it somewhat ignorant that people see one thing as being ten thousand times worse than something else simply because it is something that happens more often and receives more media attention.  Quit judging other players on how they choose to play, so long as they're keeping in harmony with policy and documentation.

Like I said, it's bullshit double standards.
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
̡͌
    l̡̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡
ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ:・゚ KAWAII WAVE!!:,,ø¤º°¨ ¨°º¤KEEP THE KAWAII GOING ¸,,ø¤º°¨ ¨°º¤øº LETS GO KAWAII !¤¤º°¨¨°º¤øº¤ø,,¸¸ø¤º°¨,, ø¤º°¨¨°º

Quote from: NOFUN on July 17, 2011, 04:45:33 PM
No, I'm not. Truth be told I wouldn't give consent if another PC tried to rape mine, and I wouldn't attempt to rape another.

And it's not that I'm deadset on, it's people looking down on people for doing one thing while bragging about doing another. It's good play to run about amputating and torturing but if your character touches another characters breast without asking then you're OOCLY worse than Hitler.

I consider it somewhat ignorant that people see one thing as being ten thousand times worse than something else simply because it is something that happens more often. Quit judging other players on how they choose to play, so long as they're keeping in harmony with policy and documentation.

Synthesis already addressed this, and quite well. I think you should go back and reread what he had to say on the matter.

July 17, 2011, 04:51:06 PM #81 Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 04:52:50 PM by PurpleParrot

Maybe because it's something that could actually happen, especially in such a harsh world?

Personally, as a rape victim IRL, I can see why the escape clause is there...it kills a little of the realism of the game, but if I'd rather not think about it every time I'm on ARM or run the risk of being OOC...I think I'll take the escape clause.

As a realist and someone who's a bit too hard on themselves to be in character, I wouldn't just flat out veto a rape unless I felt it was a pointless, forced (Edit: forced as in OOC for the attacker, not forced as in non-consensual.) thing, but if it serves a purpose for the interaction and is in character, I'm likely to suck it up and just make my character have PTSD. Personally, I'm glad that rape is allowed IG, because it's something that happens and the threat of it makes the world just that much more believable.

I was originally going to agree with the, "Hey, rape is a perfectly viable option!" group as a whole, but the more I think about it, I see why the rule is in place

How about we just all be adults and if one character is going to rape another and the player of the victim is uncomfortable, talk it out and metagame a little bit to reach a reasonable compromise? Make it a less violent rape (which fucks with one's head just as much) or make it a rape attempt that ends in the attacker being forced to knock the victim out because they struggled so much?

This would be okay, right? To negotiate a scene like that OOCly if one had a problem with it?

Quote from: PurpleParrot on July 17, 2011, 04:51:06 PM

Maybe because it's something that could actually happen, especially in such a harsh world?

Personally, as a rape victim IRL, I can see why the escape clause is there...it kills a little of the realism of the game, but if I'd rather not think about it every time I'm on ARM or run the risk of being OOC...I think I'll take the escape clause.

As a realist and someone who's a bit too hard on themselves to be in character, I wouldn't just flat out veto a rape unless I felt it was a pointless, forced (Edit: forced as in OOC for the attacker, not forced as in non-consensual.) thing, but if it serves a purpose for the interaction and is in character, I'm likely to suck it up and just make my character have PTSD. Personally, I'm glad that rape is allowed IG, because it's something that happens and the threat of it makes the world just that much more believable.

I was originally going to agree with the, "Hey, rape is a perfectly viable option!" group as a whole, but the more I think about it, I see why the rule is in place

How about we just all be adults and if one character is going to rape another and the player of the victim is uncomfortable, talk it out and metagame a little bit to reach a reasonable compromise? Make it a less violent rape (which fucks with one's head just as much) or make it a rape attempt that ends in the attacker being forced to knock the victim out because they struggled so much?

This would be okay, right? To negotiate a scene like that OOCly if one had a problem with it?

This.

July 17, 2011, 05:29:27 PM #83 Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 06:02:26 PM by Dakota
Quote from: Nyr on July 16, 2011, 10:14:03 PM
...if you break them, we will break you.

Hearing echos Ivan Drago here. I think we need a new Avatar from you Nyr.

ps: the rule to requiring players to ask for consent to act out, follow through w/ rape, maiming, etc is a good thing.
Czar of City Elves.

As others have said, I think people are demonizing those who would play a character that would rape someone in game. Most normal people don't hate an actor because they once played the role of a rapist in a movie or hate the writer of a story because they had a rape take place in the story. I don't care if somebody else wants to play a pc that would do it. I don't care if people have a legit reason to decline it happening as per the rules. I do care that players who decide to bring a little more realism and variables to the game and include rape as an option, are being demonized for saying so.
"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."
~ Doug Larson

"I tried regular hot sauce, but it just wasn't doing the trick, so I started blasting my huevos with BEAR MACE."
~Synthesis

Quote from: Bacon on July 17, 2011, 05:35:37 PM
I do care that players who decide to bring a little more realism and variables to the game and include rape as an option, are being demonized for saying so.

^ Agreed.

Let people play their characters and don't hate on them for their character's choices. IC is IC.

Quote from: PurpleParrot on July 17, 2011, 05:45:46 PM
Let people play their characters and don't hate on them for their character's choices. IC is IC.

I think this is a really great rule of thumb in general.

I don't think that people are necessarily 'demonizing' any player who feels that it would be okay for their character to rape someone.  
I think that people are getting up in arms because the people feeling demonized continue to question why the policy is in place for rape and not other nasty stuff.

QuoteI think that people are getting up in arms because the people feeling demonized continue to question why the policy is in place for rape and not other nasty stuff.

And although I'm fine with where the line is drawn, they do have a valid point and it's no reason to persecute them for pointing it out and is rather assholish on the part of those who are doing it.
I just hope they're not -actually- arguing for moving the line to consent for whether or not torture, murder, or robbery of a character is allowed to take place. If that happened, I'd be done. That's just too much for me personally.
"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."
~ Doug Larson

"I tried regular hot sauce, but it just wasn't doing the trick, so I started blasting my huevos with BEAR MACE."
~Synthesis

Quote from: Bacon on July 17, 2011, 05:35:37 PM
I do care that players who decide to bring a little more realism and variables to the game and include rape as an option, are being demonized for saying so.
I've never raped another PC, and I'm not planning to. Apaprently I need to say this or some people will assume that I like playing serial rapists.

I'm feel like this thread is throwing me dirty looks for even considering to let my character be raped instead of saying 'this never happened'. Please get off your moral high ground and stop judging players for RP that all involved parties are fine with.

Also, implying that the only reason to rape another character IG is some fetish the player has is insulting. So is the assumption that someone that likes RPing this sort of thing is a sick sadist that would otherwise do this in the real world.
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

I thought when I started that I would say my peace and let it stand.

And a few times I've opened this window, typed, and closed it again without hitting send. Because, I thought, it stands on its own.

But I am going to clarify.

I started this thread, not because I see a problem with the policy. Nor have I observed anyone breaking this rule. My point was never to point a finger.

Instead, it's to remind those people, who might be vulnerable, or unsure of what to do in a situation that makes them unhappy or uncomfortable that they have a legitimate exit. I said this, because while most of you do not need that reassurance, some might.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

There's still the issue of people probably getting killed if they don't feel comfortable consenting to certain things, which doesn't seem right to me - therein lies the problem with going over the line with the whole R rating deal instead of just keeping it at more of a middle-ground level.  Should everyone just say "ok fine I'll just go along with everyone else and allow myself to get raped even though I don't feel comfortable with it"?  Personally I would rather have a finger cut off or something... that would still be something interesting to RP with.  Heh.

Actually, I trust the people I rp with to handle no as adults. Perhaps when they were done raping their victim they would have killed them anyway. And they will. Perhaps they would have left them alive. I believe they will. If there is a reason to suspect that they would do otherwise I trust the staff to look hard at that. It's not my concern.

In the end, I can't control what anyone else will do about anything. I can only choose my own actions. Sometimes I find it easier to make the choice that's right for me when that choice is externally validated Why? I don't know. Maybe we have a psych major that can explain it. But that's the point here. Saying no is a valid option.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

That's kinda why I said I'd just go with maiming or killing if the pc would be the type to do something bad. That way I never have a situation where consent to rape is not given, my pc ends up killing or maiming them instead and then they claim that it's because they wouldn't consent to being raped. My opinion of it is though, they were going to do something bad to you, you get the choice in regards to rape and they have to go with that, don't bitch because your pc ends up dead or maimed instead.
~ Doug Larson

~Synthesis

Quote from: Sokotra on July 17, 2011, 06:17:26 PM
There's still the issue of people probably getting killed if they don't feel comfortable consenting to certain things

Does this really happen at all?

I wouldn't think that someone (a player) who did not consent to their character being raped would then turn around and start complaining if they got killed or maimed instead. 

If, when being asked for consent, I say no and am OOC told "Well if you won't let my character rape yours then he or she will just kill you"...I'll be awfully pissy, but I'll accept my dead character (if that's what ends up happening).  If the policy was not in place and I ended up having a character that was a rape victim, I'd store immediately, whether the scene played out or faded.

Quote from: NOFUN on July 17, 2011, 04:45:33 PM

I consider it somewhat ignorant that people see one thing as being ten thousand times worse than something else simply because it is something that happens more often and receives more media attention.  Quit judging other players on how they choose to play, so long as they're keeping in harmony with policy and documentation.

If your character begins a rape plotline without you as a player asking, then you're banned for 30 days for the first occurrence, permanently after the second (or permanently after the first, depending on Producer review).  If your character begins graphic mutilation/torture without you as a player asking permission OOC, you're banned 30 days for the first occurrence, permanently after the second.

Yes, the punishment for one is more severe initially depending on the nature of the offense; get over it.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.