New Characters

Started by DustMight, June 24, 2011, 04:43:08 AM

When the new email rolls in to indicate I'm approved to sentence another character to an untimely and often uncomfortable end, I generally log in, add some scars, check the coins and point to his/her starting location.

I check and possibly reroll stats and often log directly back out to collect my wits.

Logging in a second time (usually an hour or so after the initial login) I usually solo RP for awhile or just listen to others RP while I do a lot of "thinking" with the character as I try to really nail down their personality and mannerisms.

Finally, after that, I slowly insert myself into social RP and might change personality, voice or whatever over the first few hours until I have the personality more or less right.  Characters that I can't really nail down don't typically last very long at all and that's probably the biggest factor in my enjoyment of them.

Does anyone else have "new character" rituals?

My rituals. Usually.

I do roughly the same. Just log in and grab my scars / point my location. After that I reroll my stats and then decide which to go with (reroll or original). Once done I rush to the market place of any of the starting locations to spend my coin and get what my character already 'had'. While doing that I think over his personality, quirks, and mannerisms. Then jump into the social rp after.
"Don't take life too seriously, nobody ever makes it out alive anyway."

I prefer to spam walk off the shieldwall myself.  If they survive then that PC is a fighter, and worth keeping.
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote from: Delirium on August 04, 2014, 10:11:38 AM
fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

I spend a long time in the Hall of Kings. I look over my skills list several times, read the help files for everything I have (even though I KNOW what it all is), look at my bio, look at my stat, look at my score (even though my stats aren't even rolled yet). When I'm finally ready, I'll point, and then run as fast as I can away from the starting area to whatever market there is. I try desperately to avoid PCs during this time, because I view it as 'background shopping' -- like, I already had this stuff, I'm not there buying it now, please don't look at me before I'm ready, etc.

Once all THAT'S done, I'll check out the bars or something and see what there is to see.
<SanveanArmageddon> d00d
---
[Laeris] (11:52:53 AM): If penicillin started spilling out of your butt, what would you do with it?

change ldesc is of no interest to you yet!
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote from: Delirium on August 04, 2014, 10:11:38 AM
fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

change ldesc is not the character you are looking for.
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

Get in game, look for people, and cause lots of hell.

My PC life expectancy generally sucks.

Meet one of Saellyn's characters, get slam-dunked into your new character, then roll your eyes when he kills his off a few days later.

I will put you in character with extreme prejudice!

Quote from: Booya on June 24, 2011, 07:58:18 AM
Meet one of Saellyn's characters, get slam-dunked into your new character, then roll your eyes when he kills his off a few days later.

This is very, very true...
Czar of City Elves.

Quote from: DustMight on June 24, 2011, 04:43:08 AM
When the new email rolls in to indicate I'm approved to sentence another character to an untimely and often uncomfortable end, I generally log in, add some scars, check the coins and point to his/her starting location.

I check and possibly reroll stats and often log directly back out to collect my wits.

Logging in a second time (usually an hour or so after the initial login) I usually solo RP for awhile or just listen to others RP while I do a lot of "thinking" with the character as I try to really nail down their personality and mannerisms.

Finally, after that, I slowly insert myself into social RP and might change personality, voice or whatever over the first few hours until I have the personality more or less right.  Characters that I can't really nail down don't typically last very long at all and that's probably the biggest factor in my enjoyment of them.

Hehe...you said "insert".

What I normally do is: Have as much mudsex as possible with my f-me so that I can get all the loot that I'm going to need for a long-lived, zero personality character.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Friday, don't be bitter just 'cause you cain't play a clean, kindly-spirited gal.

I do the usual "change locdescs; point allanak; exchange newbie gear" thing.  I guess I would say that I wind up really discovering my characters through their interactions with people...I don't necessarily aim to socialize immediately, but my PC's personality won't be fully fleshed-out until I do.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: BlackMagic0 on June 24, 2011, 04:55:34 AM
My rituals. Usually.

I do roughly the same. Just log in and grab my scars / point my location. After that I reroll my stats and then decide which to go with (reroll or original). Once done I rush to the market place of any of the starting locations to spend my coin and get what my character already 'had'. While doing that I think over his personality, quirks, and mannerisms. Then jump into the social rp after.

Right there. And as soon as I'm set, I actually start thinking with the character and dive right in!
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

Quote from: Samoa on June 24, 2011, 05:31:36 AM
When I'm finally ready, I'll point, and then run as fast as I can away from the starting area to whatever market there is. I try desperately to avoid PCs during this time, because I view it as 'background shopping' -- like, I already had this stuff, I'm not there buying it now, please don't look at me before I'm ready, etc.
This.
"Never was anything great achieved without danger."
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

I usually go through the Hall of Kings stuff and then enter the game where I avoid other pcs for the first couple hours while I hunt around for clothing, weapons, armor, or other items that my character should have to begin with. If I have any tailoring that needs to be done I get that stuff in to get sized and then usually log out for a while until it should be done.
"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."
~ Doug Larson

"I tried regular hot sauce, but it just wasn't doing the trick, so I started blasting my huevos with BEAR MACE."
~Synthesis

1. Check stats.  Re-roll stats.  If necessary, re-roll undo.

2. Go shopping.  Look for the perfect outfit.  Sometimes spend 10 minutes shopping.  Sometimes spend three hours shopping.

3. Try to find people to interact with so that I can get the somewhat amorphous personality and concept I had in my head fixed.  Usually I am really slow on the emotes and says at first, as I try to find my character's voice through feelings and thoughts.

4. After about a week, the character is her own complete person, and interaction comes naturally.  Then I try to make the 1 month mark.  Most of my character's don't make it that far.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Blunder through the creation to HoK.  Try to remember if I point to, or point. Every time I look at the map and think '"Wow I can go anywhere,"  but finally go where my PC is supposed to to be.  Find somewhere quiet, count my sids, think and feel and avoid other PC's.  Because I really want to be where I was last week.  Then get my PC into survival mode and GO.

Speaking of which, I wish that mdescs and backgrounds didn't autoformat.  I've gotten so that I enter
a
b
c
d

for my mdesc, then edit it and put the real one in once I get to the Final Check menu.  It took me years to figure that out, and that I could use the same approach to get multiple paragraphs in my background.

I'm not saying that it's worth changing, or that it isn't worth the extra effort just to halp the newbies.  I'm just sayin'.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

1. put everything in my pack. if i start off with more than an amount of smalls that would be really bad to lose, i bank it.
   a. if your character is undesirable/not someone from whom it would be advantageous to be recognized: buy a cloak, pronto.
2. sit in tavern/go doing work-stuff depending on what time of day it is; act like a normal character.
    a. in the middle of this: reroll.
3. after there doesn't seem to be a damn other thing i can do: buy non-newbie clothes.
i like newbie clothes. snuggly
Quote from: Qzzrbl
THAT MAN IS DEHYDRATING!

QUICK! GIMME A BANDAGE!!

put all pack

prompt [%h/%H|%v/%V|%t/%T|%m/%M|%S|%e]\n\n

buy scars

point city

score
- if score gives shit stats, reroll self - if they suck worse, reroll undo

run to the nearest shopping area to outfit with backstory gear and spend that newbie coin

check apartments and rent one if good ones are open

head back to the appropriate tavern by city/social standing and hang out, waiting to flesh out persona through interactions with others.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Quote from: DustMight on June 24, 2011, 04:43:08 AM

A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

June 24, 2011, 10:47:43 PM #22 Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 10:50:36 PM by Clavis
it takes me over 2 wks. to finally get a char fully fleshed, out. sometimes longer.

Usually I just add a scar, point, run to grab cheap things. then idle and think at the tailors. after the first few hours I take my crappy new char into a tavern and idle some more. Once the first week or two rolls around i start getting more active and end up feeding someones pet critter.

editted to add:  Alot of the time though when I find little to no  rp I work on other char concepts so I can just jump into something and fine tune it through interaction once it gets approved
Sweet chaos let it unfold upon the land.
Guided forever by my adoring loving hand.
It is I the nightmare that sleeps but shall wake.

I dive right in.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

I leap into the fray like nobodies business!!!