Big words!

Started by Intrepid237, June 05, 2011, 12:07:01 AM

June 12, 2011, 09:03:34 PM #150 Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 09:09:23 PM by Bacon
Oh I read them, I still disagree with you on the subject. I think that when people do it where others can understand what they're saying out of character, it adds a little flavor to the game. Because the game says that they said "in southern-accented sirihish" doesn't mean that every single character that has that attached to their speech sounds exactly the same. There's no code for "lazy, southern-accented sirihish" or "improper southern-accented sirihish" It doesn't mean that they don't exist and that players can't roleplay within the gray area to give their pc unique speech patterns.
"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."
~ Doug Larson

"I tried regular hot sauce, but it just wasn't doing the trick, so I started blasting my huevos with BEAR MACE."
~Synthesis

Quote from: maxid on June 12, 2011, 08:42:19 PM
Quote from: Bilanthri on June 12, 2011, 08:36:50 PM
Actually, what he said was:

Quote from: Reiloth on June 12, 2011, 05:27:47 AM
I use apostrophes when I want my character to sound Southern. He isn't going to the bar, he's goin'.

There was no specific reference to the Southern US. You decided that there was.

Also, both Allanak and the Southern US have been influenced by long periods of wide-spread lack of education due (in part) to slavery.

I would say that both of your "facts" are speculative.

I understand you're being purposefully obtuse, to further your argument, but when he claims to use things like goin', that are obviously influenced by the southern united states, to sound 'Southern', then it's pretty clear as to his actual intent.

Also: Central Africa has dealt with issues of slavery, widespread famine, and lack of education.  They sound nothing like the united states.  Dozens of places in the real world have suffered from the issues you listed, in an attempt to blindly flail your way into a valid point, and none of them sound all that similar.  So, please do try again.

Quote from: lordcooper on June 12, 2011, 08:32:35 PM
I just hate it when I actually have to spend precious seconds reading over what someone said three or four times due to practically every vowel and 'g' having been replaced by an apostrophe.

This is a symptom of the problem.  This is the outcome of your silliness.  To fix the illegibility, you must fix people's perceptions that removing half the word is somehow 'good Rp.'  Do you understand?

You hear a Southern US accent. You are reading into other people's statements to perceive what you want. You are a finger-pointer who is blaming other people's choices on your "break in immersion".

Trying to undermine my logical assertions by declaring me "purposefully obtuse" and "blindly flailing" is a weak attempt to distract from the gaps present in your own statements. If you honestly believe that myself and others are groping in the dark in hopes of coming up with valid statements, then you clearly haven't really been reading the posts in this thread. Take some deep breaths and try to back away from the perspective you have been clinging to for all these posts.

I would have ignored this thread quite a while ago, mainly due to the vehemently hostile attitude that you have presented, except that it was a reply to my post that began your angry ranting.

Quote from: maxid on June 12, 2011, 09:01:26 PM
Quote from: Bacon on June 12, 2011, 08:59:47 PM
I disagree. Just because you don't like it doesn't make it wrong to do.

That's not the reason I'm saying it is wrong.  Please reread, for my many and well explained reasons as to why it is illogical and unnecessary.  That I also dislike it is only a side facet.

I would add, if your reasons were well explained and many, why do you think that so many people feel inclined to disagree with you? True logic tends to be rather irrefutable.
"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry."
- Samuel Clemens

June 12, 2011, 09:06:38 PM #152 Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 09:11:47 PM by maxid
Quote from: Bacon on June 12, 2011, 09:03:34 PM
Oh I read them, I still disagree with you on the subject.

I don't care if you disagree.  I care if you misstate my arguments as 'me disliking it.'  When that is the least of the reasons that people should avoid typing like idiots.

edit: Bilanthri - You have yet to refute my logic.  When you do, you will have a point.  If the dropping of the g, and words like 'gonna' or 'fixin' etc. aren't meant to identify with a southern united states accent, despite all of them directly relating and conforming to one, then where did they come from?  And, why do people feel the need to invent an accent unsupported by the code/documentation?  I still have yet to see an answer to the fact that accents, like languages, are coded into the game except 'BUT I WANT TO!!!!'

I'm not. I believe that if you didn't personally dislike it so much you wouldn't be grasping at straws to argue against it. I don't believe you are being truly honest with yourself about the matter.
"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."
~ Doug Larson

"I tried regular hot sauce, but it just wasn't doing the trick, so I started blasting my huevos with BEAR MACE."
~Synthesis

Just in case you missed my edit I was adding to a previous post while you were also posting:

QuoteBecause the game says that they said "in southern-accented sirihish" doesn't mean that every single character that has that attached to their speech sounds exactly the same. There's no code for "lazy, southern-accented sirihish" or "improper southern-accented sirihish" It doesn't mean that they don't exist and that players can't roleplay within the gray area to give their pc unique speech patterns.
~ Doug Larson

~Synthesis

Quote from: Bacon on June 12, 2011, 09:13:50 PM
Just in case you missed my edit I was adding to a previous post while you were also posting:

QuoteBecause the game says that they said "in southern-accented sirihish" doesn't mean that every single character that has that attached to their speech sounds exactly the same. There's no code for "lazy, southern-accented sirihish" or "improper southern-accented sirihish" It doesn't mean that they don't exist and that players can't roleplay within the gray area to give their pc unique speech patterns.

There is code to add and support this.

edit: And you're putting the cart before the horse.  I dislike it because it is unnecessary, and illogical.  My reasoning makes me dislike it.  I know it'd be convenient if I was just a hatemonger, attacking something for no real reason, but I'm not.  The reasonings I've stated make me annoyed by it.

There are a multitude of options that players can use to express this. You just happen not to like one of them.  :P
~ Doug Larson

~Synthesis

Quote from: Bacon on June 12, 2011, 09:15:25 PM
There are a multitude of options that players can use to express this. You just happen not to like the one that makes the least amount of sense, is the most disruptive, and lacks any standardization or documentation

FTFY

If someone's word selection or use of odd punctuation seems to be in conflict with the game rules, file a complaint with staff.

Otherwise, stop trying to enforce your own vision of what is "right" on other players' RP choices.  Nonproductive and not fulfilling.  
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

Quote from: Seeker on June 12, 2011, 09:19:07 PM
If someone's word selection or use of odd punctuation seems to be in conflict with the game rules, file a complaint with staff.

Otherwise, stop trying to enforce your own vision of what is "right" on other players' RP choices.  Nonproductive and not fulfilling.  

I, too, hate people telling others what to do.  :irony:

I don't hear 'I'mma goin' to ah Gaj, Sarge' as American Southern accent, but as a poor, unrefined way of speaking common among the lower classes in the Known.

I'm sorry if it breaks your immersion, but I think you are wrong on this one, maxid.

Just my opinion.
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

Agreed. Nothing is going accomplished by this argument. It's one of those areas where many people have many different "visions" on how it should be and what's right and what's wrong. It's all gray area that we're allowed to decide how we want to roleplay within and personally, I'm fine with that.
~ Doug Larson

~Synthesis

Quote from: BleakOne on June 12, 2011, 09:22:44 PM
I don't hear 'I'mma goin' to ah Gaj, Sarge' as American Southern accent, but as a poor, unrefined way of speaking common among the lower classes in the Known.

I'm sorry if it breaks your immersion, but I think you are wrong on this one, maxid.

Just my opinion.

If this did not read as more or less directly out of Huckleberry Finn, you'd have a point.  I'm sorry, but I'm not.  It is strongly, and obviously influenced by the American southern accent.  There is no documentation that says that the underclass speaks that way, it's pretty much pulled out of nowhere, and tied to perceptions of the american southern accent RL.  IF there was ANY documentation to support you?  I'd back off some.  But there's not.  You're just drawing in RL, unthinkingly.

Quote from: Bacon on June 12, 2011, 09:24:28 PM

Agreed. Nothing is going accomplished by this argument. It's one of those areas where many people have many different "visions" on how it should be and what's right and what's wrong. It's all gray area that we're allowed to decide how we want to roleplay within and personally, I'm fine with that.

It's fine, you can Rp it that way, I've said that a few times.  But it is demonstrably incorrect.

I'm not an American, and am not familiar enough with said southern drawl to unthinkingly make my characters live it. It's just an uneducated, slang-heavy way of speaking which happens to sound something like uneducated, slang-heavy ways of speaking on Earth, if you want it to.
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

This thread got silly while I was asleep.  :P
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: musashi on June 12, 2011, 09:33:27 PM
This thread got silly while I was asleep.  :P

Whoops... should probably stop aiding in the derail. Sorry.

June 12, 2011, 09:35:47 PM #167 Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 09:39:05 PM by Bacon
QuoteCreating a Character

The first thing to do, before you ever start playing your character, is put a little thought into him/her. Take a few minutes and think about your character's general attitude and outlook on life. Does she love/hate a specific thing or group? Is he friendly or withdrawn? A loner, leader, or follower? Stubborn or easily swayed? Opinionated or open minded? You might also think up some habits, common phrases, accents, other other common mannerisms of your character, and set up EMOTE or PEMOTE aliases for them.

The only thing in the docs I can find regarding the issue and it clearly supports players doing this.
~ Doug Larson

~Synthesis

Quote from: maxid on June 12, 2011, 09:28:23 PM
Quote from: Bacon on June 12, 2011, 09:24:28 PM

It's fine, you can Rp it that way, I've said that a few times.  But it is demonstrably incorrect in my opinion.
FTFY
~ Doug Larson

~Synthesis

This thread is so hypocritical - for the tl:drers...

Don't use big words with lots of syllables! It makes you sound too intelligent!

Don't speak like a bumpkin! It makes you sound too American!

What's next, are you going to tell me I can't say 'eh' in game? Maybe we should stop writing in the english language altogether... ::)

Quote from: Bacon on June 12, 2011, 09:35:47 PM
QuoteCreating a Character

The first thing to do, before you ever start playing your character, is put a little thought into him/her. Take a few minutes and think about your character's general attitude and outlook on life. Does she love/hate a specific thing or group? Is he friendly or withdrawn? A loner, leader, or follower? Stubborn or easily swayed? Opinionated or open minded? You might also think up some habits, common phrases, accents, other other common mannerisms of your character, and set up EMOTE or PEMOTE aliases for them.

Documentation supports me.  Try again.

Good ways to demonstrate you accent: Word choice, say (in a thick, educated manner) blah blah

Bad ways to demonstrate your accent: Pull, out of your ass, a nonstandard series of apostrophes and changed words, that could mean something different to many different players, thus making it impossible to tell whether you're attempting to portray a bumpkin, a person with brain damage, or someone from another city state with a modified accent.

June 12, 2011, 09:43:28 PM #171 Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 09:45:18 PM by Bacon
Edit: I'm done. You're not going to convince me that your view is the right one and all you're doing is irritating me.
~ Doug Larson

~Synthesis

Somethin' 'ells me we'r gunn be seein' a lot mer' folk talkin' wit' bad 'cents n-game. ;)

Quote from: Rhyden on June 12, 2011, 09:44:32 PM
Somethin' 'ells me we'r gunn be seein' a lot mer' folk talkin' wit' bad 'cents n-game. ;)
Count on it.
~ Doug Larson

~Synthesis