Big words!

Started by Intrepid237, June 05, 2011, 12:07:01 AM

Quote from: Saellyn on June 12, 2011, 08:02:09 AM
I'm pretty sure if you hate the way he talks ICly, it's IC to kill him for it. Just saying.

But if he's using commas and other words to indicate, as he said, sounding 'southern' in a manner that is reminiscent of the southern united states, then he is not acting IC.  He is acting OOC and rping poorly.  It feels wrong to invent IC justification to kill a person because they're acting out of character in the way they're rping.  If a guy was talking about cellphones IC, I wouldn't go out of my way to invent a reason to PK, that's poor Rp, because it's clearly not actually an IC action.

Quote from: maxid on June 12, 2011, 05:39:32 AM
Quote from: Reiloth on June 12, 2011, 05:27:47 AM
I use apostrophes when I want my character to sound Southern. He isn't going to the bar, he's goin'.

I had a few rinther characters that used apostrophes pretty extensively. If you don't like it, try to come up with an IC reason to kill my character and eliminate the problem. I ain't gettin' rid of my dang-nabbed 'postrophes, neither.

So if I don't like an OOC aspect you forcibly inserted into the world, unnecessarily, since there is a coded 'southern accent' and there's logically no reason for Allanak you sound like the southern united states... I should ICly kill your character?

Just so I'm clear on what you're saying.

If it really makes you go aggro to see people use apostrophes in their speech, i'm pretty sure you'll go out of your way to find an IC reason to hate said people.

Also -- You're welcome to try to kill any and all of my characters. If it's over some sort of glitch you have with the way they talk...Well, I hope you are playing some sort of sociopath, because that's weeeeird mannnn.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

June 12, 2011, 06:50:56 PM #127 Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 07:02:51 PM by Reiloth
Quote from: maxid on June 12, 2011, 06:20:55 PM
Quote from: Saellyn on June 12, 2011, 08:02:09 AM
I'm pretty sure if you hate the way he talks ICly, it's IC to kill him for it. Just saying.

But if he's using commas and other words to indicate, as he said, sounding 'southern' in a manner that is reminiscent of the southern united states, then he is not acting IC.  He is acting OOC and rping poorly.  It feels wrong to invent IC justification to kill a person because they're acting out of character in the way they're rping.  If a guy was talking about cellphones IC, I wouldn't go out of my way to invent a reason to PK, that's poor Rp, because it's clearly not actually an IC action.

Also, my karma begs to disagree with your assessment of my RP. If you have a player complaint over the way people speak IG, file it; i'm sure Staff will file it under 'yawn'.

EDIT:
Also, people have been using apostrophes to modify their speech years before accents were even in place. It's an age old tradition, and an age-old joke (especially where the 'rinth is concerned) but I do not think emulating a real world accent in a believable fashion is OOC. Some people in Tuluk sound like unrefined country yokels, some sound like prim and proper nobles. Some people in the South are the same way. We the player can decide how our player talks, just as we can decide how they look.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Gee, I hope you can decide how your Player talks........
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: X-D on June 12, 2011, 07:35:10 PM
Gee, I hope you can decide how your Player talks........

iknorite

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: Reiloth on June 12, 2011, 06:50:56 PM

emulating a real world accent in a believable fashion is OOC.

Yes it is.  There is no link between the accent of the southern united states and Allanak.  Not in any way, shape, or form.  I'm sorry you don't understand that, and I'm certain you'll keep doing it, but there is no actual logic behind it, and it breaks immersion when you do it the same way talking about a cellphone or other real-world thing would.  It creates a link between the real world, and the game that shouldn't exist.  

As to your 'You can decide how they sound, just like you can decide how they look' argument? You are not allowed to give your character tattoos from the real world (A confederate flag tattoo, to prove that they're a hick! or a snake with a boot crushing it proudly declaring DONT TREAD ON ME, or a neat oriental symbol or anything else) or real world sunglasses, or really anything that doesn't fit in theme, and is supported by the code.. so that pretty much makes your argument fall apart, when you draw in real world examples of why you chose that accent.

You're objectively wrong in your assessment, but there's nothing I can do to change your mind since you've dug in your heels (and so have I, I'll admit.) And the 'omg i have karma' argument is silly, you can be an otherwise good Rper, with a few flaws and still receive karma.  And there is -always- room for improvement, in a person's Rp.  I apologize that you're so offended that I tried to point out why what you were doing is wrong, but I enjoy debate and discussion.  You can, of course, continue Rping that way, it's your character.  But, it doesn't really fit in the world.

Really dude? Hah. People have been emulating southern accents, IG, for a long ass time. That's a pretty wicked straw man argument you got there, though.

~Jack Vance~

There was no straw man there.  I know it's popular to call everything a strawman in an attempt to discredit it, but that wasn't one  Try again if you want, there is likely a logical fallacy there, but it isn't the strawman.

Quote from: maxid on June 12, 2011, 07:43:49 PM
You're objectively wrong in your assessment...

Objective: not influenced by personal feelings, interpretations, or prejudice; based on facts; unbiased: an objective opinion.

I find it amusing that you would argue objectivity when you have so clearly displayed that you are strongly influenced by your personal feelings and interpretations on the matter.

It would seem that what you state is logically fallacious is actually supported by more of us than those who would denounce it. And, while it seems to break -your- immersion, it enhances mine and obviously many others.
"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry."
- Samuel Clemens

Quote from: Bilanthri on June 12, 2011, 08:22:41 PM

Objective: not influenced by personal feelings, interpretations, or prejudice; based on facts; unbiased: an objective opinion.

I find it amusing that you would argue objectivity when you have so clearly displayed that you are strongly influenced by your personal feelings and interpretations on the matter.

It would seem that what you state is logically fallacious is actually supported by more of us than those who would denounce it. And, while it seems to break -your- immersion, it enhances mine and obviously many others.

Fact: Allanak and the southern united states have nothing in common, in terms of how accents should have developed, or how they sound.

Fact: He stated that he uses the accent of the southern united states to make his characters sound southern

Do you understand how he is objectively (factually) wrong?

I just hate it when I actually have to spend precious seconds reading over what someone said three or four times due to practically every vowel and 'g' having been replaced by an apostrophe.
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote from: Delirium on August 04, 2014, 10:11:38 AM
fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

QuoteFact: Allanak and the southern united states have nothing in common, in terms of how accents should have developed, or how they sound.

Nowhere does any documentation state that this is fact. Nowhere can I find comment on it one way or the other. Therefore, it is not fact because it cannot be proven.
"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."
~ Doug Larson

"I tried regular hot sauce, but it just wasn't doing the trick, so I started blasting my huevos with BEAR MACE."
~Synthesis

Quote from: maxid on June 12, 2011, 08:26:45 PM
Quote from: Bilanthri on June 12, 2011, 08:22:41 PM

Fact: Allanak and the southern united states have nothing in common, in terms of how accents should have developed, or how they sound.

Fact: He stated that he uses the accent of the southern united states to make his characters sound southern

Do you understand how he is objectively (factually) wrong?

Actually, what he said was:

I use apostrophes when I want my character to sound Southern. He isn't going to the bar, he's goin'.

There was no specific reference to the Southern US. You decided that there was.

Also, both Allanak and the Southern US have been influenced by long periods of wide-spread lack of education due (in part) to slavery.

I would say that both of your "facts" are speculative.

Quote from: lordcooper on June 12, 2011, 08:32:35 PM
I just hate it when I actually have to spend precious seconds reading over what someone said three or four times due to practically every vowel and 'g' having been replaced by an apostrophe.

^^^ This actually illustrates the problem we began discussing. When text is so butchered with apostrophes that it becomes illegible and unpronounceable, it becomes an exercise in obfuscation.
"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry."
- Samuel Clemens

I definitely roll up some bumpkin talkin hillbillies from the farming villages (RIP Menos!)
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Quote from: Bacon on June 12, 2011, 08:34:26 PM
QuoteFact: Allanak and the southern united states have nothing in common, in terms of how accents should have developed, or how they sound.

Nowhere does any documentation state that this is fact. Nowhere can I find comment on it one way or the other. Therefore, it is not fact because it cannot be proven.

It doesn't state there aren't any rocket boots/motorbikes/solid gold trees either
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote from: Delirium on August 04, 2014, 10:11:38 AM
fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

Are you guys seriously arguing about this? Seriously? Let them roleplay their character's dialogue however they see fit.

If their character is unintelligible on an OOC level, then yes, it's annoying as sin, but it's not technically bad roleplay.

Quote from: lordcooper on June 12, 2011, 08:38:07 PM
Quote from: Bacon on June 12, 2011, 08:34:26 PM

It doesn't state there aren't any rocket boots/motorbikes/solid gold trees either

I can log into the game and my pc -can- hear pcs that speak this way. As of yet, I haven't seen any rocket boots/motorcycles and the FUCKING SOLID GOLD TREE IS MINE DAMMIT!
"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."
~ Doug Larson

"I tried regular hot sauce, but it just wasn't doing the trick, so I started blasting my huevos with BEAR MACE."
~Synthesis

Quote from: Bilanthri on June 12, 2011, 08:36:50 PM
Actually, what he said was:

There was no specific reference to the Southern US. You decided that there was.

Also, both Allanak and the Southern US have been influenced by long periods of wide-spread lack of education due (in part) to slavery.

I would say that both of your "facts" are speculative.

I understand you're being purposefully obtuse, to further your argument, but when he claims to use things like goin', that are obviously influenced by the southern united states, to sound 'Southern', then it's pretty clear as to his actual intent.

Also: Central Africa has dealt with issues of slavery, widespread famine, and lack of education.  They sound nothing like the united states.  Dozens of places in the real world have suffered from the issues you listed, in an attempt to blindly flail your way into a valid point, and none of them sound all that similar.  So, please do try again.

Quote from: lordcooper on June 12, 2011, 08:32:35 PM

This is a symptom of the problem.  This is the outcome of your silliness.  To fix the illegibility, you must fix people's perceptions that removing half the word is somehow 'good Rp.'  Do you understand?

Quote from: Delirium on June 12, 2011, 08:41:03 PM
Are you guys seriously arguing about this? Seriously? Let them roleplay their character's dialogue however they see fit.

If their character is unintelligible on an OOC level, then yes, it's annoying as sin, but it's not technically bad roleplay.

This is how I see it too. It might be annoying if done poorly but there's nothing wrong with it from a roleplaying perspective.
~ Doug Larson

~Synthesis

Quote from: Bacon on June 12, 2011, 08:42:41 PM
Quote from: Delirium on June 12, 2011, 08:41:03 PM

This is how I see it too. It might be annoying if done poorly but there's nothing wrong with it from a roleplaying perspective.

Except that it's entirely influenced by RL, rather than IC, and that it's 100% redundant you mean?

The entire game is influenced by real life in one way or another. I suppose sirihish should be written up as a complete language unlike english and the same for the other languages in the game as well. And then we should all have to learn each of those new languages in order to play the game?
~ Doug Larson

~Synthesis

Quote from: Bacon on June 12, 2011, 08:50:01 PM
The entire game is influenced by real life in one way or another. I suppose sirihish should be written up as a complete language unlike english and the same for the other languages in the game as well. And then we should all have to learn each of those new languages in order to play the game?

Not at all.  The code tells you that they're speaking sirihish quite neatly.  Just like you shouldn't have to make up a proper accent to go with this alien language, that we all need to learn and type in in order to play the game.  Because the code tells you which accent they're using quite neatly.

Thank you for helping my point.

I disagree. Just because you don't like it doesn't make it wrong to do.
~ Doug Larson

~Synthesis

Quote from: Bacon on June 12, 2011, 08:59:47 PM
I disagree. Just because you don't like it doesn't make it wrong to do.

That's not the reason I'm saying it is wrong.  Please reread, for my many and well explained reasons as to why it is illogical and unnecessary.  That I also dislike it is only a side facet.