wdesc

Started by lordcooper, May 22, 2011, 11:13:35 AM

wdesc (walk description) would allow players to set up an automatic emote attached to their entry/exit message. 

Instead of having tow (strolling along idly) you would be able to change wdesc strolling along idly and have that echo in every room until you alter it.
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote from: Delirium on August 04, 2014, 10:11:38 AM
fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

I like the idea. I think it should be reset by the same things that ldesc is, like STAND.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

I dig this.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

I've played a few other games that had it, really digged it.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

I can just see it now:

New player sees people using these awesome walk commands, but is new, and doesn't really quite get the point or the potential nuances yet, and sets things that really don't make sense to happen on a regular basis, and forgets they're turned on and that they need to be turned back off again.

New player rolls up a scarred, wild-haired breed

The scarred, wild-haired breed has arrived from the north, sashaying seductively.
The scarred, wild-haired breed is harrassed at the bar by a bunch of elves and humans.
In a seductive tone of voice, the scarred, wild-haired breed says, in sirihish, "Oh you are all so mean to me. Le sigh."
The scarred, wild-haired breed sighs and shakes her head, depicting her pathetic, sad, lonely, and really unhappy fate.
Sashaying seductively, the scarred, wild-haired breed walks north.

Really, please. No. I'd never use it, because I'd probably forget it was turned on and needed to be changed or toggled back off again. I imagine the vast majority of players would either never use it, or at some point, use it inappropriately simply because they forgot it was set, and "something happened" to cause their movements to need to be different. It's just one more thing people would have to remember, or one more thing to add to their prompt to remind them.

Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Lizzie on May 22, 2011, 12:22:40 PM
stuff

Couldn't you pretty much say the same about ldesc though?

This would be a really handy feature. It is in Shadows of Isildur and I used to use it to describe a limp, for carrying a carcass or corpse, for using a walking implement, etc. I think directional emoting is an underutilized feature and something like this would make it more widely used.

Quote from: Lizzie on May 22, 2011, 12:22:40 PM
I can just see it now:

New player sees people using these awesome walk commands, but is new, and doesn't really quite get the point or the potential nuances yet, and sets things that really don't make sense to happen on a regular basis, and forgets they're turned on and that they need to be turned back off again.

The same argument can be made against tdesc.

New player rolls up a scarred, wild-haired breed

The scarred, wild-haired breed has arrived from the north, sashaying seductively.
The scarred, wild-haired breed is harrassed at the bar by a bunch of elves and humans.
In a seductive tone of voice, the scarred, wild-haired breed says, in sirihish, "Oh you are all so mean to me. Le sigh."
The scarred, wild-haired breed sighs and shakes her head, depicting her pathetic, sad, lonely, and really unhappy fate.
Sashaying seductively, the scarred, wild-haired breed walks north.

I don't get how that example is a problem with the idea proposed, though it does appear to be a typical problem related to a lack of understanding of the documentation and setting.

Really, please. No. I'd never use it, because I'd probably forget it was turned on and needed to be changed or toggled back off again. I imagine the vast majority of players would either never use it, or at some point, use it inappropriately simply because they forgot it was set, and "something happened" to cause their movements to need to be different. It's just one more thing people would have to remember, or one more thing to add to their prompt to remind them.

Again, the same argument could be used against tdesc, and since that works rather well, I highly doubt this idea would cause much of a problem.

One difference between ldesc, tdesc and this proposed wdesc is that it is easy to check up on the current status of the others.  Just "l room" or "l me", and you're good to go.

I agree with Lizzie's concerned about the (current) non-echoing, non-checkable nature of setting up moving emotes.  If in addition to making wdesc, there was also a way to check its status easily I wouldn't be as opposed.

Either way, I don't need it.  Client-side or even simple copy/paste has always worked out pretty effortlessly for me.
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

> change wdesc struttin' like a pimp

Your walk description is now: The man in a feathered, wide-brimmed hat arrives from the <direction>, struttin' like a pimp.

> s

You walk south, struttin' like a pimp
The Gladiator and the Gaj Tavern [NES]
<Room Desc etc.>

That is, with a non-default wdesc,  your wdesc echoes to you every time you move, preventing you from unwittingly struttin' like a pimp when you don't want to, unless you are paying absolutely no attention whatsoever.

Also, any time you change movement speed, it should reset the wdesc to default.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

I think if it goes in it would be really easy to add to 'score', much like how one's long description shows up. I doubt it would be implemented well without some kind of alert.

I want my movement emotes to be able to echo to me regardless actually. Currently, I'm unsure if when I try to do a movement emote, if it actually works or not.

Quote from: Kalai on May 22, 2011, 01:37:31 PM
I want my movement emotes to be able to echo to me regardless actually. Currently, I'm unsure if when I try to do a movement emote, if it actually works or not.

This

Quote from: Kalai on May 22, 2011, 01:37:31 PM
Yeah - Just like we have 'brief exits' and 'brief combat' - I'd like there to be a 'brief movement' toggle - that shows us the echo for our character.

No Echo
>Brief movement on
e

With Echo
>Brief movement off
e
You walk/run/sneak east.

e (moving through the crowd)
Moving through the crowd, you walk/run/sneak east.

e [stumbling]
You walk/run/sneak east, stumbling.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

I dig that.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Liking pretty much everything suggested so far.

I like the idea myself.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

May 22, 2011, 02:56:28 PM #16 Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 02:59:04 PM by Taven
I like the idea of a wdesc, a brief walk command, echoing movements commands otherwise, and the wdesc to reset everytime you change your moment. I also like the idea of it showing up under "stat".

+1
As of February 2017, I no longer play Armageddon.

Quote from: Taven on May 22, 2011, 02:56:28 PM
I like the idea of a wdesc, a brief walk command, echoing movements commands otherwise, and the wdesc to reset everytime you change your moment. I also like the idea of it showing up under "stat".

+1
Now I'm onboard.
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

Damn, I totally was going to add the brief option to my earlier post, but I really had to pee.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

I made one client-side.

My alias 'marg':

zs.var.marg = zs.params( )
if zs.params( ) ~= "" then
  zs.echo( "Your movement argument is " .. zs.var.marg )
else
  zs.echo( "You have no movement argument" )
end

One of my keypad macros (for down)

-- Down
if zs.var.marg ~= "" then
  send( "d (" .. zs.var.marg .. ")" )
else
  send( "d" )
end
Rickey's Law: People don't want "A story". They want their story.

Quote from: Taven on May 22, 2011, 02:56:28 PM

+1

Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

A similar idea was mentioned in times past, I like it then and I still like it now.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Quote from: Jdr on June 11, 2011, 09:08:38 AM
I made one client-side.

My alias 'marg':

zs.var.marg = zs.params( )
if zs.params( ) ~= "" then
  zs.echo( "Your movement argument is " .. zs.var.marg )
else
  zs.echo( "You have no movement argument" )
end

One of my keypad macros (for down)

-- Down
if zs.var.marg ~= "" then
  send( "d (" .. zs.var.marg .. ")" )
else
  send( "d" )
end

Can we now dismiss this as a client-side problem, like every time someone asks for more ANSI color?
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

Don't get me wrong; I approve of game-side features. I am just stating that I had made a client-side one until it's decided that one should be implemented.
Rickey's Law: People don't want "A story". They want their story.

I'd love an echo. Just so I know what it looks like when I'm doing the walking emotes, etc.