wdesc

Started by lordcooper, May 22, 2011, 11:13:35 AM

Bleh. I would not want to see the 'always-on' walk-modes that people would constantly leave up. Would be lame. Downvote.

Quote from: jstorrie on June 12, 2011, 07:32:42 PM
Bleh. I would not want to see the 'always-on' walk-modes that people would constantly leave up. Would be lame. Downvote.

Agreed.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

You mean you DON'T want to see

The curvy, pale-skinned woman runs south, with a sultry sway of her hips.

??!

I'm okay with seeing it once.

I'm not okay with seeing it every time that lame f-me waltzes into my bar. THAT'S WHERE I IDLE, DAMN IT.

and what the fuck is with people always having the same sdesc seriously

get a new sdesc people nobody is the tall muscular man all the time
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

*ahem*

But, to address the previous posts seriously, since apparently I was a little grumpy last night:

The "always on, inappropriately" objection has already been addressed, if you'd bothered to read the thread.  It would be handled by one or two ways:

1) The wdesc resets to default (i.e. none) when you type sit, rest, sleep, stand, run, walk, sneak, mount, or dismount.  That is, any time your position or movement speed changes, it resets to default.

2) The wdesc echoes to you every time you move, so the player will know when it is active, and can respond accordingly to reset it, if it's inappropriate.

If you still don't like the idea, given those two constraints, I submit to you that you just don't like the way people emote, period, and that's why you're being cranky about it.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

I am all for it and have asked for it in the past.

Or at least for it to echo.

The two reasons I almost never use it, first, I get no echo, and having seen the many flubs from others, I can only assume I flub as often.

Having to do it every single time I move...BLAH, it is a long walk from the gates to whatever compound or what have you...and right now my choice is to either spend 5-10 minutes setting up macros for all the directions, which I will use only for those 14 rooms then have to get rid of or to type in new for each room or hit the up arrow, change the direction each time.....and after all that work, still have no idea if it is a flubbed attempt or not.

Sure, on other muds that have it, some people do set the travel string and leave it forever, sometimes it even gets annoying...but other people have posted fixes for that already.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Imagine crossing the desert with Cheetah the spotted elf!
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: X-D on June 13, 2011, 02:57:19 PM
I am all for it and have asked for it in the past.

Or at least for it to echo.

The two reasons I almost never use it, first, I get no echo, and having seen the many flubs from others, I can only assume I flub as often.

Having to do it every single time I move...BLAH, it is a long walk from the gates to whatever compound or what have you...and right now my choice is to either spend 5-10 minutes setting up macros for all the directions, which I will use only for those 14 rooms then have to get rid of or to type in new for each room or hit the up arrow, change the direction each time.....and after all that work, still have no idea if it is a flubbed attempt or not.

Sure, on other muds that have it, some people do set the travel string and leave it forever, sometimes it even gets annoying...but other people have posted fixes for that already.

I agree.  Having it echo also should be a good reminder.. and I'd like to see what I've done, too.  And yeah... some people might type 90 wpm and be able to come up with beautiful emotes off the top of their head, so they don't have any problem as it is.  For those of us, probably a majority, that only type like 40-50 wpm (and that's when we know what we want to type) then it would probably be very helpful to us and the game as well.

I also don't use movement emotes purely because it doesn't echo and I'm worried I'll fuck it up. Yep, I'm a coward.

Also, it's no so easy to find in the help files. I'm all for this wdesc idea.

My worthless vote is cast in favor of wdesc as long as it echoes and get reset by all the things Synthesis mentioned.

Quote from: Nana on July 31, 2011, 11:44:52 AM
My worthless vote is cast in favor of wdesc as long as it echoes and get reset by all the things Synthesis mentioned.
I'm GMT+8, 12 hours ahead of EST.

I hate canned emotes
I hate the busty women languidly swaying away from the oncoming bahamet and the naked man stalking through his apartment armor creaking.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: Barzalene on August 01, 2011, 11:11:13 AM
I hate canned emotes
I hate the busty women languidly swaying away from the oncoming bahamet and the naked man stalking through his apartment armor creaking.

Do you get irritated every time someone nods at you? Shall we remove the ability to "emote nods"? Toughen up, I say. I hate listening to some peoples shitty excuses for emoting, but I'm not going to let that stifle everyone else's ability to to be creative with the command by removing it.

No, nodding is fine. I'm tough enough thanks. Do you really want to trade insults? Fine. Stop being lazy and cultivate some creativity.

Further, it can't be removed; it's not in game.

Wasn't aware I was being insulting, thanks for pointing that out to me.

Your "trade" doesn't really make any sense though. Creativity doesn't mean emoting a new fashion of movement for every room you move, just like you aren't un-creative when you don't emote your movement at all. Creativity has little to do with the tediousness or repetitiveness of an action.

I don't understand your point about it not being able to be removed either. My point was that if someone "emote nods" that is the definition of a "canned emote" which you claim to hate... But it's not what you really hate. What you're saying you hate is "maidens with sashaying hips" Something I've never, ever seen in the game. You seem to think that this code will make way for tons of this type of thing, when nothing really suggests that such would be so. You're insulting the player-base by way of virtue.

IF you don't want to see the same person walking in the same way over a length of time... then just say that.

What are you talking about? There is a huge difference between having a pc nod because you envision your pc nodding as they sk, and setting up a script to have your pc nod. There is a difference between having your maiden swish because she is swaying her hips and just having her swish constantly because that is how the walking string is set up.

Don't put words in my mouth.

Oh. I'd still like to point out that I've not be aggressive or in any way try to insult you or put words in your mouth... Thought you were just generally opposing the idea because of the canned emotes thing you said.

Barz, You stated you hate canned emotes.

Nod is a social, IE canned emote.

So RGS asked if you hated being nodded at.

It was all pretty clear to me.

And anyway, Suggestions have been made to limit the problem of somebody keeping the same movement emote through everything they do.

Myself, I would have it reset on mounting, movement speed, logging out, sleeping and resting. (not sitting) Combat and maybe even a few other things that maybe should not be mentioned on the GDB.

I've played the other muds that have it, and though, it can be mildly annoying, mostly because those muds do not have things that reset it other then changing movement speed. I think it adds far more then it takes away and MOST the players on those muds use the hell out of it, many are quite artistic in the use combined with emotes and what is going on around them.

I think the ability to set movement emotes makes RPTS and such FAR more impressive and even cuts down a bit on emote spam.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on August 01, 2011, 11:18:51 AM

Do you get irritated every time someone nods at you? Shall we remove the ability to "emote nods"? Toughen up, I say. I hate listening to some peoples shitty excuses for emoting, but I'm not going to let that stifle everyone else's ability to to be creative with the command by removing it.

I was going to apologize for inferring a hostility that doesn't exist, but I came home, re-read it and it still looks hostile.

Sorry. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ok, then I'm sorry too.