A tregil smirks as you miss an uppercut

Started by Majikal, April 21, 2011, 07:19:57 PM

Holding his cheaply-made strip of leather with bone shards, the merchant sayz "This spik3d leather bracer I culd sell for 1,5o0 sids dude."

Amos looks confused.

Tha merchent getz a finely-engraved, gem-studded silt-horror bracer from his backpack.

Patting the bracer made from a rare superbeast the murchunt sayz "Thiz I can leggo for two and 1/2 small though."

I would love to see those damn bracers/gloves taken out of the game myself. They're just my personal pet peeve though, maybe it's just me. I hate it when ig you have to react to things priced for their coded benefits over their actual construction or functionality, I'm aware that there are a few of these items that are indeed fancy enough to warrant a hefty price though a majority of them are made of the most simple things.

Though my post isn't just about the uppercutting wrist-bits that make people smirk, it's about quite a few items that are oddly priced. Sheaths for instance, I remember some post about those in the distant passed but it would seem that a sheath or scabbard for a weapon would be one of the most common items in zalanthas and not something you'd have to track down a merchant and cough up 1,000 sids to get. I would love to see some of these items scattered around between some of the npc vendors throughout the world or price-checked back into realism. Anyone else see where I'm coming from or agree?
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

1. I DO enjoy playing humans, therefore Majikal lurves me.

2. Totally agree on the whole idea. It makes zero sense.  Armorsmiths who are working with rare silt horror, or northern armorsmiths working with expensive obsidian, or jewel-encrusting things, or emblazoning things, should find making a strip of leather with shards on it to be insultingly easy to do, UNrare, and not especially time consuming.

There's no reason why a GMH should only allow 1 per RL month, and impose a half-game-year-to-full-game-year advance order to make it, and then charge 1500+ sids for the privilege.

And this, for nothing but a neato script that doesn't do much damage (1-2 hps per successful tag), and makes raptors smirk at you.

Get rid of them altogether, or give them an IN-GAME reason to be so damned valueable.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

But then what would we wear as OOC status symbols?

</sarcasm>

I agree.

I agree as well.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

You might do better mentioning this in a request and addressing it to GMH staff, as you're talking pricing with GMH products and can be more specific there.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

My dude once fought someone and lost 34 of the 102 hp to bracers. True story.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

I think the weapon-bracer/gloves are a little bit too common in game (there are cheaper alternatives out there).

All sheath items should be WAY more common, and WAY less expensive than they are now, imo.

We can buy SHEATHS? I want a freaking sheath. Nobody told me this and I have played this game for YEARS.

That's how stupidly rare they apparently are.
Rickey's Law: People don't want "A story". They want their story.

Sheaths more common, +8

spiked bracers and such less common +10

spiked bracers value decreased, I can't agree with you on that.

Creating a bracer that has as part of its build something that allows you to slice someone as you perhaps miss a strike would take alot of effort.
More than attaching a silly gem, or even working with a rare piece of shell.
Though the fact that the shell is rare should be a factor.

What I might suggest is to maybe change the bracers and such slightly so that they need a special material to make them.

I agree on all counts so far save getting rid of the scripted combat gear all together.
The silly scripts should be edited/replaced for sure though.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Now I see why, when I played a merchant, that I could never sell those fancy bracers based on material cost but rather their usefulness. That does seem a tad silly. I hated when some Amos fighter was like, "lol, those cracked ones (or whatever they effin' were) are so much better, sell them for lots more.".

Mine: "But they aren't jewel encrusted!"

Ugh.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

I guess its not the prices as such that confuse me, but more of what everyone is saying about it being, basically, a strip of leather with some spikes in it. Maybe the "combat bracers" and such should be high-level, highly "artsy" sorts of items. If you're going to have a bracer designed to be like fucking Shredder, it should look cooler than "this is a bit of leather, with a horn on it".

For reference:

Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

They're not like shredder. And yes it takes effort to USE them, not to make them. And they don't look like what you're depicting in your jpg.

They're STRIPS of leather..single individual strips. Like, a wide wristband. With pointy sharp pieces of teeth, chitin, or shards of obsidian affixed to the top. Not even a lot of them. The leather is cheap leather from a common animal, the spikes are also common.

They shouldn't work -at all- if you're fighting while mounted, because it should be assumed you're not fighting close-range. Daggers and shortblades shouldn't work while mounted either unless you're like - a half-giant fighting a mekillot or something. But I digress.

Also, I have to assume that IsFriday's experience is due to him spending a pretty healthy amount of time in that one specific fight. Yes, you -can- nickel and dime someone to death with a spiked armband. But at just a couple HPs at a time, and ONLY if you succeed, it's going to take awhile. I used to do a lot of damage to sparring partners with those things, during 15-minute spars. It got to be where I was better with those, rarely ever failing, than I was with an actual weapon.

But we're still talking only a couple HPs per hit.

And for only a couple HPs per hit, with an item that is made with cheap, common materials, that provides only modest armor protection, it shouldn't be taking a RL month to order, and cost 1500 sids.

They're expensive and rare because they have an OOC coolness factor. So once again, an OOC factor, determines an IC situation. And merchants are expected to explain this OOC situation ICly.

"Oh the Master Crafter's busy."
"But, surely your House, a Greater Merchant House comprised of a few hundred family members and countless crafters, can manage to slip another one in this year?"
"Sorry, but they're all booked up."
"Well can I have a pair of purple and green gem-encrusted silt-horror emblazoned burnished leg-warmers instead?"
"Sure! I'll have that for you in a few weeks, it'll be 800 sids."
"..."

I experienced this type of conversation with customers several times with my GMH characters, over things that are INFINITELY more simplistic, made of cheaper, more common materials, than most of the stuff the House sold in stock. All because there was an OOC restriction, which existed because of an OOC coolness factor.

"We're sorry, boots with a sleeve from which you can slide a knife are only sold once per two months. I have a list of five people ahead of you, so come back in a few years. On the other hand, these boots with a sleeve-like pocket can carry around lots of stuff, including knives, and they're dirt cheap and I have more than I know what to do with. But the sleeve is less ... slidey."
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

Quote from: Thunkkin on April 21, 2011, 11:06:42 PM
"We're sorry, boots with a sleeve from which you can slide a knife are only sold once per two months. I have a list of five people ahead of you, so come back in a few years. On the other hand, these boots with a sleeve-like pocket can carry around lots of stuff, including knives, and they're dirt cheap and I have more than I know what to do with. But the sleeve is less ... slidey."

Exactly. OOC restrictions, being expected to be RPed ICly even though the restriction makes zero IC sense.

April 21, 2011, 11:23:35 PM #15 Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 11:25:51 PM by Yasbusta
I totally disagree.

I was in the Army, I have fought over seas. I have been shot, stabbed and partially blown up by a grenade. Anything that would protect me better I
would buy it and because it would keep me alive I would pay more for it.

Sleeves that could hold crap, cool. Sleeves with which when some guy is about to kill me with his dagger I can slip directly into my hand saving me a couple of seconds of fumbling....
Freaking awesome, I'll pay for that, it might save my life.

your perceived ooc coolness is ic lifesaving. They cost more because they can charge more and people will pay for it.

Also restricting how many of such an item is supply and demand, the less of a supply of a thing is the more people will pay for it.
If there were spiked bracers everywhere, no one would pay 1500 for them, they aren't common in game.
Your just using pc to judge what is common, a pc is not supposed to be common.

Quote from: Yasbusta on April 21, 2011, 11:23:35 PM
I totally disagree.

I was in the Army, I have fought over seas. I have been shot, stabbed and partially blown up by a grenade. Anything that would protect me better I

Sleeves that could hold crap, cool. Sleeves with which when some guy is about to kill me with his dagger I can slip directly into my hand saving me a couple of seconds of fumbling....

your perceived ooc coolness is ic lifesaving. They cost more because they can charge more and people will pay for it.

Sounds like you've not used the specific item in question before.
どんと来い、生活の悪循環!!1!11
Quote from: Yam on March 18, 2011, 09:57:04 AM
There's really nothing wrong with a pretty boy in a dress.

Quote from: Xeran Van Houten on April 21, 2011, 11:24:57 PM
Quote from: Yasbusta on April 21, 2011, 11:23:35 PM
I totally disagree.

Sounds like you've not used the specific item in question before.

I have used them before, grabbing something from a pocket compared to grabbing something that is held in a certain position to be ready to be drawn forth......

Quote from: Lizzie on April 21, 2011, 11:10:33 PM
Quote from: Thunkkin on April 21, 2011, 11:06:42 PM

Exactly. OOC restrictions, being expected to be RPed ICly even though the restriction makes zero IC sense.

Kinda like being punished IG for not having an imm or an object able to load. Poor merchants. Poor consumers. :/
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Quote from: Yasbusta on April 21, 2011, 11:29:05 PM
I have used them before, grabbing something from a pocket compared to grabbing something that is held in a certain position to be ready to be drawn forth......

The item that the thread is about.
どんと来い、生活の悪循環!!1!11
Quote from: Yam on March 18, 2011, 09:57:04 AM
There's really nothing wrong with a pretty boy in a dress.

+1000000 on the sheaths bit. Seriously. SERIOUSLY.

I throw my hat in on the whole "let's just get rid of those ridiculous wrist items please" thing.
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

Quote from: Xeran Van Houten on April 21, 2011, 11:32:04 PM
Quote from: Yasbusta on April 21, 2011, 11:29:05 PM

The item that the thread is about.

Last Char had them and many chars before had them. They rock ooc and ic.
Not telling about my current char, :P

I wish that you could just have these kind of items in the 'hands' slot, and that they would become your melee weapon if you weren't wielding or holding something in that hand. Then that would cover cestuses, wristwrazors, clawed gloves, bladed gauntlets, and all of that.

Quote from: jstorrie on April 21, 2011, 11:44:25 PM
I wish that you could just have these kind of items in the 'hands' slot, and that they would become your melee weapon if you weren't wielding or holding something in that hand. Then that would cover cestuses, wristwrazors, clawed gloves, bladed gauntlets, and all of that.

Or just make the wrist spikes/razors/lasers and spiked gloves/gauntlets wield-able weapons like cestuses instead of armor with ridiculous offensive benefits.  I think just /fighting/ with the razors instead of using them with other weapons sounds way more BA, and won't be as... ridiculous.

It's really cool that these items exist as they do, but I wouldn't miss them if they changed form.

They can still be worn, but give the same advantages wearing a cestus does... which I'm not sure is anything beyond basic armor
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

Quote from: FantasyWriter on April 21, 2011, 08:48:38 PM
I agree on all counts so far save getting rid of the scripted combat gear all together.
The silly scripts should be edited/replaced for sure though.

This is what I think as well. They don't bother me, I think they add a little flavor to combat and they aren't much of a coded benefit. They just need to have echoes that aren't kinda silly and the pricing should be more in line with the materials they're made from.  Sheaths and scabbards should be -way- more common and way cheaper definitely. The use of a sheath or scabbard to house your bladed weapons should be the norm and not the exception.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D