A tregil smirks as you miss an uppercut

Started by Majikal, April 21, 2011, 07:19:57 PM

Quote from: Lizzie on May 07, 2011, 04:12:08 PM
Wow this thread has gone off topic, to great lengths and extremes.

Why not open a new thread to discuss the code of razor weapons, which can be summarily locked after too many people start talking too much about how the code does/does not work, or how they're not making changes to the code, and they don't want suggestions for Reborn anymore?

This thread, is a gripe about how a couple of items INCLUDING SHEATHS WHICH HAVE NO COMBAT FUNCTION AT ALL have been designated ultra rare, special order only, order at least a year in advance, once per month per merchant who's selling it, at game-staff-dictated minimum prices which are artifically created only to justify the fact that they're rare. Which - if you go by their mdescs, they shouldn't be rare. Or special order, or advance order, or one month per merchant, or expensive.

They're just not that fancy. That includes the sheaths. Which have no combat function at all.

How is the recent discussion off-topic?

The OP is about having to react to seemingly overpriced items.
     -Why are the items overpriced?
          -Staff mandate to GMHs.
               -Why the staff mandate?
                    -Because the items grant such a useful coded advantage that everyone would use them if they could afford to.
                         -Does this coded advantage make sense (or even exist, or is it that bad)? Y/N.

That seems like a pretty natural extension of the OP, actually.  And if the items in question were fixed after having been found to grant an unreasonable coded advantage, it would remove the reason for the mandate, and would fix the OP's gripe, because they would no longer need to be overpriced.

Also, I didn't say anything in particular about the razor weapons skill.  In fact, I pretty much specifically said that I don't know much about how it works.  Since there are "wrist razors" and a "razor weapons" skill, it's easy to speculate that possibly the razor weapons skill grants a bonus to using wrist razors in addition to its obvious function as the weapon skill for wieldable razor-type weapons, but it's purely speculation, and it's not the kind of connection that anyone with the equivalent of a 3rd-grade education would fail to make:  got same word; maybe related.  If I knew exactly how it worked, I probably wouldn't say anything.  Posting "KRATHIS PROBABLY CAN CAST FIREBALLS" is not exactly IC info, regardless of whether it's true or not.  It's just common sense.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Whether or not a wrist razor is affected by the razor weapons skill, has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that you have to order an arm sheath a RL month in advance, pay 1000 deposit for it, and IF your character lives long enough to get it, will receive in return, a long piece of raptor leather double-stitched with a buckle. And still owe 500 sids. And only be allowed to get one, that RL month.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

May 07, 2011, 06:12:54 PM #152 Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 06:20:25 PM by Qzzrbl
::Edited because I probably shouldn't post with so much snark::

They jut hit too often I think. And you can't blame people for using them if other people will be using them too! Make them take off movement like kicks and everything else does, since that seems to be the general solution :P. I'd be fine with having to type "special strike" too or whatever name it is with lag.

RANT:
If anyone watched the Luir's Fest fights, I don't think the crowd couldn't see but people were getting mutilated by those things down there. It looked like one or two blows then people quit. No, like twenty bracers slashes to the face! And I know you CAN train unarmed or base offense or defense or whatever, but not as much as I would care to? If your mundane character can kill scrabs bare handed, there is no reason they should have to keep training to avoid get destroyed by two wrist guards (in my opinion).

Quote from: Lizzie on May 07, 2011, 06:03:30 PM
Whether or not a wrist razor is affected by the razor weapons skill, has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that you have to order an arm sheath a RL month in advance, pay 1000 deposit for it, and IF your character lives long enough to get it, will receive in return, a long piece of raptor leather double-stitched with a buckle. And still owe 500 sids. And only be allowed to get one, that RL month.

I incidentally mentioned that IF the use of the  items in question were always governed by a skill, like HYPOTHETICALLY a particular skill might work, then they wouldn't be such a big deal, which goes back to ===> wouldn't need to be overpriced and ordered a month in advance.  I think my point is valid, and isn't in any way a derail.

It's a potential solution to one of the OP's complaints.  How is that a derail?

Because wearing an armsheath isn't governed by a skill, so your hypothetical is irrelevent.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Lizzie on May 07, 2011, 08:00:18 PM
Because wearing an armsheath isn't governed by a skill, so your hypothetical is irrelevent.

THE VERY FIRST LINE IN THE OP IS ABOUT A SPIKED BRACER

It's sort of a derail if you're talking about how they work. I think a lot of people agree that they suck and don't work realistically. I haven't actually encountered them in a full battle, so I can't really comment. The issue is what should be done about it.
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

May 07, 2011, 10:08:42 PM #158 Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 10:11:12 PM by Jingo
I once had a shoulder-sheath. It was so badass, staff had to take it away from my character. Because it was a shoulder item.

I complain about that at least once a year.

I think the arbitrary restrictions on some items are both arbitrary and restrictive.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

I think I've said it twice in this thread already, so I'm going to say it once more.

Make the sheath/combat-script weapons -all- special order. Each and every one, make it restrictive. Update and remove the ones that are, basically, some leather with some spikes, leaving just the more verbose, fancy looking weapons. Make it a reason to cost 1000 coins, not just because its got a script attached to it, but because its difficult to measure the angle of the spikes, and attain a good animal claw that won't become brittle when fired.

Same with sheaths. Because of the script/ability attached to them, if you're going to make them special order, make it 100% special order.

And heck, if you want to make them PC craftable, just add in a skill combat_sheaths, and make it a skill ONLY accessible when a PC is granted it from a GMH staff. This way, staff can be assure they're not just churning them out, but gives the crafters/merchants the ability to regulate and price on their own.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

I disagree, Riev.  I think they shouldn't be so restricted and should be craftable, even.  I think the code for the combat script items should be examined, though, so that the staff are content with the balance for these items.
"I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."
- Jimmy James, the man so great they had to name him twice

Quote from: Marshmellow on May 07, 2011, 10:43:15 PM
I disagree, Riev.  I think they shouldn't be so restricted and should be craftable, even.  I think the code for the combat script items should be examined, though, so that the staff are content with the balance for these items.

Here's the thing. I agree, and am always committed to the "If you can find it in game, it should be craftable" crowd. However, I'm going with what would take the stress and workload away from staff, including making the items craftable, as well as monitoring their usage.

I don't think that's a solution. Personally, I think it would magnify the problem. The costs of them would then go even more ridiculously high, -more- people would be seeking them, and they would take up more of staff's time with special orders. You'd also give more people a reason to bitch about the overpricing and waiting for special orders on them.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

What if they weren't as strong but wee craftable and easily available like a sword is?
"I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."
- Jimmy James, the man so great they had to name him twice

I do agree with Riev. Maybe they shouldn't be all rare and expensive, but they are going to be, dress them up so they look the part.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

I think they might lose some of their awesomesauce if the use action came into effect much more rarely, shlif action cut down to 1/3 or 1/4 or 1/2 of what it currently is. Sometimes your shliffing matches your weaponswings blow for blow. The way I see it...

Take away the excessive cool/code factor like previously so the prices will climb down to more realistic amounts
Replace all simple bracers with fancy special order bracers.
Put skill checks into the script so that it isn't just an offense vs defense thing like it is now. Parry/shield use

Sort of curious what staff views are on the sheath/bracer discussion.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

I would also accept renaming "kick" to "strike", making the code generally the same, and have all combat-scripted items changed to just add skill to the "strike" skill. If you want to get fancy, change the echo of "strike" depending of if you're wearing bracers, boots, etc.

That way, there is no "script", they're just as OOCly cool to have, and using them can be somewhat spammed, but does cause a lag, and could be blocked by shields, armor, etc.

Quote from: Riev on May 08, 2011, 03:02:07 PM
I would also accept renaming "kick" to "strike", making the code generally the same, and have all combat-scripted items changed to just add skill damage to the "strike" skill. If you want to get fancy, change the echo of "strike" depending of if you're wearing bracers, boots, etc.

That way, there is no "script", they're just as OOCly cool to have, and using them can be somewhat spammed, but does cause a lag, and could be blocked by shields, armor, etc.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Quote from: Riev on May 08, 2011, 03:02:07 PM
I would also accept renaming "kick" to "strike", making the code generally the same, and have all combat-scripted items changed to just add skill to the "strike" skill. If you want to get fancy, change the echo of "strike" depending of if you're wearing bracers, boots, etc.

Winner.
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

Agreed. Coolness.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

I like Riev's proposal as well.

Though we still have sheaths to deal with.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.