Ginka Migration Thread

Started by Nyr, February 15, 2011, 10:15:18 PM

It can only handle 50 lines of text a minute? I sense there will be some issue :P
(Yeah, 'cause people can even type that fast... Not)

Kudos to all the staff for working so hard to have such a fast transition!
"Daddy, I barfed in my mouth!"

Quote from: warforged32 on February 16, 2011, 03:42:11 PM
It can only handle 50 lines of text a minute? I sense there will be some issue :P

I believe that was an estimate from brytta.leofa.  We do not have specific network traffic data to share.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

That's just me making a wild guess of how much text the game might send the average player in the average minute.  I suspect it's actually way lower than that.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on February 16, 2011, 03:51:31 PM

That's just me making a wild guess of how much text the game might send the average player in the average minute.  I suspect it's actually way lower than that.

Maybe not actually, spam walking sure can build up a wall of text.
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote from: Delirium on August 04, 2014, 10:11:38 AM
fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

Just wanted to say thank you to the staff.  Thanks for keeping us all informed as Ginka took on her incorporeal form.  Grats on the migration going smoothly.  Also, thanks for getting us upgraded and all of your work on keeping our crackageddon running.  Kudos!

Quote from: Bebop on February 16, 2011, 05:50:19 PM
Just wanted to say thank you to the staff.  Thanks for keeping us all informed as Ginka took on her incorporeal form.  Grats on the migration going smoothly.  Also, thanks for getting us upgraded and all of your work on keeping our crackageddon running.  Kudos!

+1

I'm happy Arms is back. Yay!
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

I like it. I've noticed a major change in the lag, at least on my end.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Is it me or the lag increased dramatically lately?

February 16, 2011, 10:14:08 PM #60 Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 10:15:52 PM by Nyr
Quote from: Dar on February 16, 2011, 10:13:35 PM
Is it me or the lag increased dramatically lately?

We found the problem, will let morg comment on it though.

edit:  I say we, Morg found the problem after the lag was noted
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Okay.  The lag we've been having for the past few months (intermittent, difficult to trace, and something we were pretty sure was network related) has been tracked down.  We (not me, the code folk) are working on a solution for it right now, but the problem itself has been found.  We've rectified the biggest contributor to it right now, we'll provide more info on it after we've got a solution in place.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

is it the website?
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

We'd rather not comment further until we resolve the problem, as this would be tantamount to posting an exploit without having it fixed first.

Aha. I was beaten to it. I just noticed a situation that makes things move at a crawl.

I wont post it though, sicne the staff seem to have it handled :)
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Quote from: Fredd on February 17, 2011, 12:09:01 AM
Aha. I was beaten to it. I just noticed a situation that makes things move at a crawl.

You should send it in a request, it might help them.

If you have something that you think is causing lag, please email me the details.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: Morgenes on February 17, 2011, 12:13:44 AM

If you have something that you think is causing lag, please email me the details.

Morgenes@armageddon.org right?

My 2 'sids, after playing for a bit, the new server/network/cloud a *HUGE* step up from ginka/snet in terms of lag.

Quote from: Fredd on February 17, 2011, 12:33:22 AM
Quote from: Morgenes on February 17, 2011, 12:13:44 AM
[If you have something that you think is causing lag, please email me the details.

Morgenes@armageddon.org right?

That is correct, sir.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Anybody getting random disconnects, that require a minute or two of wait to let back in?

Didn't happen before the migration, so I'm attributing it to something related to it.

I am getting random disconnects the past 15 minutes or so, sometimes not able to access a arm webpage. Even a few issues checking the gdb. Not sure if related.

Amish Overlord  8)
i hao I am a sid and karma farmer! Send PM for details!

I'm not getting disco'd but I am getting huge spikes, where it locks up for 1min or so several times an hour, I see everyone else Disco but I just putter there inputting in l l score stat skills think gawd dis spice is good...
tee hee
Two dwarves get into a small fist-fray over who owns a pile of dung at the roadside.

You think:
     "Get your shit together"

We've been getting hit on/off most of the day by various spiders crawling all over our website, which may be contributing more to what's been happening.   We've been pretty good about setting up our website to deal with spiders in the past, yet we're continuing to check our new configuration and fine-tune it just the same.   We did ratchet back the website processes for the migration, mostly to see how the new server performed before we let it run wider.  If you've seen the website run a little slow now and again, that'd be why.

From a server resource perspective, our CPU utilization is fairly minor and our RAM footprint has plenty of free system RAM so we've little need to use actual O/S swap.  All in all, it looks very promising.   We'll figure out the website tuning soon enough.

Quote from: shadeoux on February 19, 2011, 12:11:36 AM
I'm not getting disco'd but I am getting huge spikes, where it locks up for 1min or so several times an hour, I see everyone else Disco but I just putter there

The small bursts of lag, like 30-60 seconds we know of, (see earlier posts), and we're testing the fix for it before pushing it into production.

Quote from: Mooney on February 19, 2011, 12:00:01 AM
Anybody getting random disconnects, that require a minute or two of wait to let back in?

Didn't happen before the migration, so I'm attributing it to something related to it.

I would get those types of disconnects with great frequency on the old hardware, which I attributed to our old ISP.   Since not everyone is affected, it's tremendously challenging to troubleshoot.  I'm still thinking that it's related to the website interfering with the game process, but we'll keep looking.

Far from complaining, glitches happen and the move overall has improved my playing experience.

Thanks for the hard work!