Give us a moment or two, huh?

Started by Marshmellow, January 30, 2011, 10:27:58 AM

I've left quickly for IC and OOC reasons, and this thread won't make me do it any differently.  Sometimes, I gotta jet and don't want to break immersion for anyone present.  Sometimes, my PC takes offense to someone/something/something said/something done/has to go take a piss. 

If it's IC, I'll probably fire off hemotes and semotes as appropriate so that it can be seen, though.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Quote from: mangler on January 31, 2011, 12:41:57 PM
I always tend to leave a moment or two before departing, although I often think i'm looking like a mug when I hang on incase anyone if writing out anything and it looks like my character is just not leaving.

haha, I think that, too, sometimes. 

I understand when people have to leave, Nyr.  I'm talking about all the other times.
"I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."
- Jimmy James, the man so great they had to name him twice

Contact quickleavingpersonfella
psi Quit walking away douche, I wasn't done speaking. Listen when I speak fag! lol

fix?
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Eh, I'm kind of ambivalent about the whole idea. On one hand, it's not at all difficult to throw out an emote or two about your departure, or briefly explain it over the Way in some fashion, which would give time for other people to do whatever they want, whether it's to say something to you or try to kill you, or anything in between. On the other hand, the only person really missing out on anything is the person that's rushing away. The other person will tend to find something better to do.

Quote from: Marshmellow on February 01, 2011, 05:04:08 AM
I understand when people have to leave, Nyr.  I'm talking about all the other times.

At least you can deal with this IC, unlike people who don't use punctuation.  I'd call this a very easy pet peeve to get over.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

I sometimes tell myself to slow down a bit in conversations. But I don't think it's a black and white thing of 'Everyone slow down!'.

One of the things that put me off waiting for ages for a reply is those players who are watching TV, looking in other windows, coding, and doing all sorts at the same time as playing Arm. Do I have to waste my time waiting til they decide to come back to the conversation? No.

Also, when you only have a small amount of time to see someone in game, and/or one of you may have to log off at any moment, your playtimes hardly ever match up and you all have a lot to talk about/pass on, sometimes you have to splurt it all out so you know everything is stated, then play the puzzle game of talking about three conversations topics at the same time.

Or, as other people have said, sometime you have to OOC leave, or IC your character doesn't really give a shit about what the other person has to say etc. It doesn't bother me if people sometimes think my character's are gabbling, rude cows because of it.

There's plenty of reasons people might be doing it, and if someone's going too fast, just play it IC - maybe ask them to slow down a bit or let you get a word in sometime. I'm sure they'll understand what you mean.  

I also agree with:
Quote from: Cutthroat on January 31, 2011, 07:46:05 AM
As to the OP itself, I would prioritize saying bye and ending the conversation over throwing out a think. As a general rule, I would prioritize any interaction with a fellow player over internal RP. It keeps things moving smoothly in case the other player needs to go.

I agree, Nyr.  This can be handled in IC fashion.  This was really supposed to be an awareness thing... if you're not in a rush, don't act like it in game, because people will start reacting to it ICly.

Quote from: hyzhenhok on January 31, 2011, 09:43:33 AM
I often leave before you can respond deliberately. This is an IC action.

I do it OOCly and just accept it when people think it's IC.  :-\

Quote from: Nyr on February 01, 2011, 08:04:37 AM
At least you can deal with this IC, unlike people who don't use punctuation.  I'd call this a very easy pet peeve to get over.

I get that a lot sometimes. People not using proper capitalization or punctuation. When they spell things differently or something that indicates how the character talks, that's one thing. But when they simply don't bother using proper punctuation and the like, it can get rather annoying.

February 11, 2011, 02:44:55 PM #35 Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 02:50:26 PM by wizturbo
When I have to rush off for OOC reasons, I generally toss out an OOC "Sorry gotta jet".  It may break immersion, but I don't want people getting the wrong signals ICly for something that's purely OOC.

I really try to wait for you guys, but sometimes, you just take too god damn long.

I HATE waiting 5, 7, 10 minutes for a return emote for a return say. If you're going to be afk, say so. That breaks my immersion less if you "afk gone brb" rather than having me sit there alt tabbing because you're taking 50 years to reply.

If I'm bolting normally, I wait at least thirty to forty seconds. That's enough for an "em nods at ~name and waves or something" and a "think Sun King Almighty, she's got a cute ass."

If I gotta log, well, meh. You can still think and emote your wave, you just won't be targeting my character. No one said you couldn't wave at the 'departing figure of ~name'.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Five, seven or ten minutes?  Yeah, that's a little extreme.  I don't expect you to wait on someone for that log, but a single minute isn't much to ask when you're not rushing, right?

i give em two minutes. that gives me the excuse, if it wasn't something like the one conversation, those are different, to leave without needing an excuse, because IG i'm assuming the guy/girl had their mouth open and brainfroze or just wasn't going to say anything.

i do believe there are conversation where huge-ass pauses are needed but i've been playing for three years and i've only had one. you ever watched one of those movies?
Quote from: Qzzrbl
THAT MAN IS DEHYDRATING!

QUICK! GIMME A BANDAGE!!

Quote from: Nyr on February 01, 2011, 12:13:17 AM
I've left quickly for IC and OOC reasons, and this thread won't make me do it any differently. 

Just realize this means Nyr plays....that's like Santa walking among us.  :o

I'm going to emote everything and every second.

I once played a game where this strange culture developed where people would oocly ask each other if they were free to go, even if the emotes had made it clear they were.

By all means, ladies and gents, keep speedwalking.

Quote from: Mooney on February 16, 2011, 07:53:30 PM
Quote from: Nyr on February 01, 2011, 12:13:17 AM
I've left quickly for IC and OOC reasons, and this thread won't make me do it any differently. 

Just realize this means Nyr plays....that's like Santa walking among us.  :o

I'm going to emote everything and every second.

I believe most of the staff still plays. They are all allowed to do so.

It can be frustrating but sometimes it's in character.  Sometimes you may be slow.  Sometimes they have to go.  Sometimes they just might not care.  My suggestion?  Roll with it!  I remember a certain character I had where -every time- she and her companion talked/disputed he would walk out on her first to cut her off.  She was already kind of feeble and it built up over time.  Finally one time she grabbed all her clothes and rushed out naked first and went to change in the dorms just so she could be the first to finally walk out, slam that door and snub him back.  Is it annoying?  Yeah.  :D But try not to take it to personally if you can.  A character walking out while you still have something left to say can be an excellent RP tool.  I for one think there needs to be -more- rude/gritty behavior IG.

Also, if someone walks out and you don't think they're intending to be rude work it in IG, Way them really quick or accuse them IG - "You always walk out when I'm trying to talk to you!"  Don't be afraid of confrontation if you gotta.  ;)

Okay, I still don't think everyone got the point...

I'm not saying, "Don't leave so that others have a chance to respond."  I'm saying, "If you don't want them to have to roll with it and take it IC, give them a chance to respond," along with the reminder, "Not everyone here types at 100 wpm, so chill a bit."