Dying RP

Started by Fredd, January 16, 2011, 03:10:14 AM

What I would love:

I'delike when i'm dying (-1 to -10 hp) Is the ability to use the say command, to rp dying.

Maybee a "conscienceness check" to see if you can speak or hear properly (garbling words becomes more common as you loose hp)

This would make alot more RP I think.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

I know that you can at least think and feel at negative hp.

I think you can also emote.
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote from: Delirium on August 04, 2014, 10:11:38 AM
fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

Quote from: lordcooper on January 16, 2011, 03:16:16 AM
I know that you can at least think and feel at negative hp.

I think you can also emote.

You can, but you cant speak. You can't say goodbye to your mate/friend/byn sergeant

it would make for some epic scenes i think

Amos lays here, critically wounded, on the verge of death

amos says: I love you all... especially you Andy... I knaky your wife...

mantishead
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Heh

Blood pouring from his eviscerated crotch, the unlucky runner asks the muscly muscled sergeant, in southern-accented sirihish:
     "P'mission ta die, sarge?"
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote from: Delirium on August 04, 2014, 10:11:38 AM
fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

Quote from: lordcooper on January 16, 2011, 03:57:03 AM
Heh

Blood pouring from his eviscerated crotch, the unlucky runner asks the muscly muscled sergeant, in southern-accented sirihish:

See, epic.

And I think as you die more, you should loose your ability to comprehend. like going from master of a language to apprintace

Quote from: Fredd on January 16, 2011, 04:33:04 AM
Heh

See, epic.

And I think as you die more, you should loose your ability to comprehend. like going from master of a language to apprintace
Just like your post? :) (no offense, just worked well with your idea)

Quote from: Case on January 16, 2011, 05:06:31 AM
Heh

See, epic.

it's 6 am and i spell bad normally.

Quote from: Fredd on January 16, 2011, 05:48:26 AM
Quote from: Case on January 16, 2011, 05:06:31 AM
Heh

See, epic.

it's 6 am and i spell bad normally.

Spell checker add-on your browser my friend.  
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

If the character is not unconscious, they can still speak. If they are at negative HP, they have been knocked out and should not realistically be able to speak. However, I would like if there was a chance for mortally wounded PCs to not be knocked unconscious - still dying, but with their senses (mostly) intact.

Quote from: Akaramu on January 16, 2011, 08:20:44 AM
If the character is not unconscious, they can still speak. If they are at negative HP, they have been knocked out and should not realistically be able to speak. However, I would like if there was a chance for mortally wounded PCs to not be knocked unconscious - still dying, but with their senses (mostly) intact.

pretty much what I'm asking for. I just dont think you should be Ko at negative hp. That's what stun is for.

At the very least, give me a chance to rp my dying! Remove the ability to use the way and such, just use shout ans say, I think.

I dig this idea.  Reeling from a blow at a low HP won't get you to 0 stun.
Fredd-

I agree, I think it's a big fault there's not a period before mortally wounded where you're health continues to drop due to bleeding etc, but you can still talk and perhaps crawl or something. However, there's probably good reason why they haven't done it. It's also a bit silly you don't get much worse at combat when your on low health... but I guess thats a different conversation- may as well go onto how you can sleep of serius injury :(

It's bad enough PCs, when attacked/ fighting for one's life/ etc, have enough focus to be able to use the Way.  The ability to speak would simply compound the issue of "avenge me"  scenes where the victim can rely vital information about who is about to kill them.

"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

Quote from: My 2 sids on January 16, 2011, 09:22:56 AM
It's bad enough PCs, when attacked/ fighting for one's life/ etc, have enough focus to be able to use the Way.  The ability to speak would simply compound the issue of "avenge me"  scenes where the victim can rely vital information about who is about to kill them.

You cant use the way in combat firstly.

Secondly, yes, what's wrong with telling your buddy who is within' say/ shout distance to avenge you as you lay dying?

It's a story arc.

I like it how it is because the line has to be drawn somewhere. If you're knocked to a few hp and want to die with a speaking part, I'm sure the staff would be happy to help you. If you're negative hp, well, you're truly fucked up, and the game shows that by making you insensate.

And I may be in the minority here, but I like the utter helplessness of the mortally-wounded state. If someone gets you to that state, you're at their total mercy, and they don't have to put up with your blabbering or caustic "fuck youuuuuuus!" If someone manages to mortally wound you, they won, and it gives them time to decide how to finish things or whether or not to give you a chance at life. I like how PCs mortally wounded in combat can't sit there giving clear directives to their friends/subordinates, or laying out their last will and testament. To me, it adds a certain level of "oh shit" that would be lessened by the dying person yapping their glorious final monologue at me.

I've had PCs die suddenly and violently before with nary a "goodbye, avenge me!" and it's felt right. Some sort of slow-going bleeding damage would be cool because you could -know- you're probably going to die, but still be positive hp (you would require a bandage, healing, or extended sleep, I don't know). However, I imagine that would be way more annoying to more players than it's probably worth.
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

I prefer anticlimactic endings, where a long-lived, super powerful, super important character just gets his/her head bitten off.

Feels more realistic, and the death actually has some emotional impact.

But maybe that's just me.

I wouldn't mind seeing the last 5 positive HP or so becoming "mortally wounded" as well though, where your health may decline rather quickly, you are capable of speech, but not room movement or anything like that.
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

yea, the line has to be drawn somewhere, but it does suck there is such a hard line.

would sometimes being able to be mortally wounded AND talk improve playability? Yes.
Would it also be realistic? Yes.
Would it fit in this game world? Yes.

there's a lot of arguing that could be done on the best way to implement this, but it seems pretty clear to me that this would be a good feature to have.

Any Raider or Raidee (?) that lets the scene be emoted out regardless of it leading to their death, deserves a big fat kudos.
Czar of City Elves.

I would mind being capable of emotes and say-only commands when below 0 health.

So, basically, you have enough energy to emote and use say. Other than that, nada. If you try to use the Way while below 0 health, it should probably insta-kill you.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Whisper would be better then say or shout.
Live like God.
Love like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors

Quote from: Chettaman on January 17, 2011, 08:17:33 AM

Yeah, I think the PC wouldn't have enough strength to shout or talk but they have enough strength to whisper to someone.  Just like in the movies or books.
Fredd-

January 17, 2011, 08:57:01 AM #21 Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 10:06:22 AM by BlackMagic0
I'd love if we got the ability to whisper at between 0 and -5 hp or something.  Once you got to far into the negatives you'd be way to beat up and faded away to do anything to be honest.
And it depends on the wound type you get.. since certain things would make it impossible to talk.

I'd say to be fair- give whisper to dying pcs and let them be able to see the room for a little bit into negatives. Then once you get pass the 'half way' mark, you'd fade away into verge of death code and be unable to do anything with communication syntax again. Obviously beside emote, since you can still emote laying there dying and stuff..

Only thing I wish Arm had better was a healing/wound system and bleeders that ticked away damage. Making healer/doctor roles pop up all over.
No need to play a healer really in this game... Since healing is only rp, and a lot of people don't even use healers even though they got wounded on the head/neck/testie. Just go into the barracks and role play a bit with the NPC healer guy that stands in each barrack and drops down to nap away their hit points on a cot.

Some my favorite rp memories were with some unit healer in the byn (She was a half elf female) back in the day of the Byn.
"Don't take life too seriously, nobody ever makes it out alive anyway."

Quote from: Chettaman on January 17, 2011, 08:17:33 AM

Shout Freeeeeeeeedom!

That's all I could think about.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

I don't particularly care either way since usually when I die, it's to NPC #4557 in Wilderness Room Q with no friends or allies present.

I would want a 'say' over a 'whisper'.  Reasons being that unless your friend is kneeling on the ground right next to your prone form, you shouldn't be able to whisper to them, and even if the characters went through an emote cycle where the best buddy knelt down and pressed her ears against her dying friend's blood lips, if the attacker is hanging around, they should have as much of an opportunity to hear the last words as anyone.

I'm just not sure how it would work mechanically, because the game forces you into sleep below 0 hp, or your health wouldn't be able to tick back up.  And you can't see what's going on around you.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

+1 on being able to at least whisper while in negative hps. If people are worried about PC's blabbering on for 10 minutes while dying, have whisper at this point do 1 hp of damage or whatever. Say does 2 hps damage. Shout does 5. You get the point. That pretty well guarantees they're going to either get in a few words and cause a quicker death, or lay there and bleed out just a bit longer.

Quote from: drunkendwarf on January 17, 2011, 11:25:30 AM
+1 on being able to at least whisper while in negative hps. If people are worried about PC's blabbering on for 10 minutes while dying, have whisper at this point do 1 hp of damage or whatever. Say does 2 hps damage. Shout does 5. You get the point. That pretty well guarantees they're going to either get in a few words and cause a quicker death, or lay there and bleed out just a bit longer.

I dig this idea.
Fredd-

whisper: oh hey there should probably be some character limit placed on those whispers as well because maybe the person could be an epic serial whisperer and detail the entire circumstances of his death and hopes and dreams in one breath, such as oh it was that pink-haired, buck-toothed man who killed me and as he stabbed me in the gut he told me it was a hit from House Salarr and I always loved your brother more than you.....

There is a limit.
Fredd-

Quote from: Barsook on January 17, 2011, 11:30:29 AM

I dig this idea.

Seconded
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

When in the negative HP zone, whispering should take away one health, saying should take away three health, and shouting should kill you immediately afterwards.
"Brain wave, main wave"
Psycho got a high kick
Collect and select
Show me your best set

Quote from: valeria on January 17, 2011, 10:31:01 AM
I don't particularly care either way since usually when I die, it's to NPC #4557 in Wilderness Room Q with no friends or allies present.

This sums it all up right here..  what are we going to do with this?

emote lifts their bloody, sand-caked face up just long enough to whisper "thanks for listening to my dying breath" to the raging pack of raptors as they fight over which leg to rip off first.
The glowing Nessalin Nebula flickers eternally overhead.
This Angers The Shade of Nessalin.

Quote from: Mooney on January 17, 2011, 01:29:48 PM
whisper: oh hey there should probably be some character limit placed on those whispers as well because maybe the person could be an epic serial whisperer and detail the entire circumstances of his death and hopes and dreams in one breath, such as oh it was that pink-haired, buck-toothed man who killed me and as he stabbed me in the gut he told me it was a hit from House Salarr and I always loved your brother more than you.....

Yup, there already is a character limit.

Quote from: Reiteration on January 17, 2011, 02:52:11 PM
When in the negative HP zone, whispering should take away one health, saying should take away three health, and shouting should kill you immediately afterwards.

+1

But I think it needs to start around 2 HP, not 0.
Fredd-

Or we could just let people talk when they're almost dead. I mean, seriously, if they're blabbering on and it's annnoying, kick them in the face for god's sake. It's not that hard.

Quote from: MeTekillot on January 17, 2011, 05:43:17 PM
Or we could just let people talk when they're almost dead. I mean, seriously, if they're blabbering on and it's annnoying, kick them in the face for god's sake. It's not that hard.

Seriously.

At best, I think a modified version of the sleep restrictions would be best.  At negative HP, you can't hear or see anything that isn't said to you, no Waying, but you can still talk as normal.  No shouting, that's too lively.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

i think people would understand how their manner of dying affects their ability and desire to say something if they're ARM players.

i never thought of having last words. this never happened but say it did: me and my half-elf sibling, both of us look like humans, were feigning full humanity and working for a merchant house together, i die, i just give my sibling a long, heartfelt look that means to perservere or whatever. they'd get the idea.

being torn apart by wild animals or npcs, that's even less of a motive to have last words for me.

a death that puts doubts in the minds of PCs would be awesome. say my PC looked half elf or elf unless my sibling and i didn't get a job in the merchant house. when i die and they're around and some PCS from his house are around i'd still give him a look, maybe a strange, undecipherable look that wouldn't necessary get him kicked out, but would cause doubts as i didn't pay attention to anyone else--- and hey, i'm dying, i don't know that acting like that is going to cause trouble or have questions asked, all that matters is that some random human PCs i don't know who may or may not be affiliated with my bro are standing around my bro, possibly wearing similiar uniforms, and i'm just being careful, according to me.
Quote from: Qzzrbl
THAT MAN IS DEHYDRATING!

QUICK! GIMME A BANDAGE!!

Quote from: Dalmeth on January 17, 2011, 06:20:33 PM

Seriously.

At best, I think a modified version of the sleep restrictions would be best.  At negative HP, you can't hear or see anything that isn't said to you, no Waying, but you can still talk as normal.  No shouting, that's too lively.

This is why I suggested the reversal of the language. at 0hp you might still be a master of sirihish. At -2 advanced -4 journeyman -6 apprintace -8 novice -10 making a new pc.

Quote from: Fredd on January 17, 2011, 11:38:29 PM
Quote from: Dalmeth on January 17, 2011, 06:20:33 PM

Seriously.

This is why I suggested the reversal of the language. at 0hp you might still be a master of sirihish. At -2 advanced -4 journeyman -6 apprintace -8 novice -10 making a new pc.

I dig that idea.
Fredd-

Also dig it. +1
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Meh, now I think you're making it too complicated.

This has come up before, and I'm still a fan of simply having a new range of HP (either 1 to 10, or -9 to 0 and bump unconsciousness down to -19 to -10) where you're conscious and able to emote and speak, but unable to move, fight, or use most skills.  Mercy would kick in at that range as well.

Quote from: Fredd on January 16, 2011, 09:27:45 AM

Secondly, yes, what's wrong with telling your buddy who is within' say/ shout distance to avenge you as you lay dying?

It's a story arc.

Perhaps your ribs were caved in and your lungs punctured and blood has filled your throat, due to massive amounts of blood lost you cant keep conscious enough to say anything, nor simply make sense of what is what any longer. As your life flashes past your... Mantis.

Or your brains have been scrambled due to the massive bludgeon to the head, fall off the mountain, arrow through the eye.

A Tembo has eat your face.

Your throat has been torn out.

Get your last words out as your hp drop, do it fast, because life and death comes that quick.
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

Quote from: Potaje on January 18, 2011, 07:27:40 PM
Quote from: Fredd on January 16, 2011, 09:27:45 AM

It's a story arc.

Perhaps your ribs were caved in and your lungs punctured and blood has filled your throat, due to massive amounts of blood lost you cant keep conscious enough to say anything, nor simply make sense of what is what any longer. As your life flashes past your... Mantis.

Or your brains have been scrambled due to the massive bludgeon to the head, fall off the mountain, arrow through the eye.

A Tembo has eat your face.

Your throat has been torn out.

Get your last words out as your hp drop, do it fast, because life and death comes that quick.

There are times when you can opt out, your throat is cut? rp it. Enabling something soe that you can rp in the 90% of other times you die and could say something, even to yourself, or your killer, for 10% of the time when you couldn't, doesn't make sense...

I like all three of these- Combine them!

Quote from: Fredd on January 17, 2011, 11:38:29 PM

Quote from: Marauder Moe on January 18, 2011, 12:11:09 PM
Meh, now I think you're making it too complicated.

This has come up before, and I'm still a fan of simply having a new range of HP (either 1 to 10, or -9 to 0 and bump unconsciousness down to -19 to -10) where you're conscious and able to emote and speak, but unable to move, fight, or use most skills.  Mercy would kick in at that range as well.

I suspect the vast majority of last words in this game would be something along the lines of "fuck you, man."

Which would make the PK that much sweeter.  :-*

(I always spam-F5 the GDB afterwards to see if anyone goes ballistic.)
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

I suspect the first, most common use of RP'd last words would be "Why?". 

After that (if a killer was foolish enough to respond to that question) denial, accusation, arguing, reappropriation of blame, self-serving lies and then, 100% with Synthesis, inevitably "fuck you, man."

I imagine setting up a macro:  deadyap
think "Geesh.  I killed this prick once already.  What do I have to do to SHUT HIM UP?"
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

Quote from: Seeker on January 30, 2011, 03:15:05 PM

think "Geesh.  I killed this prick once already.  What do I have to do to SHUT HIM UP?"

Hit him one more time. Pretty easy answer.

My most memorable death RP, I think, consisted of only two commands:

contact elithan
psi Faithful Lord... I have failed you.

I WAS SAD FOREVER.

Quote from: Synthesis on January 30, 2011, 12:34:41 PM
I suspect the vast majority of last words in this game would be something along the lines of "fuck you, man."

I'll kill you for this!
<Mantis head>

Quote from: Synthesis on January 30, 2011, 12:34:41 PM

Yeah, especially if you've been put to sleep and someone ELSE gets to RP your death, dragging it out for long minutes.
What kind of jerkoff shakes a tent in the dark? Go out there and see who or what that is.

March 15, 2011, 03:50:06 PM #49 Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 03:53:29 PM by Semper
The huge mekillot bites you, doing horrendous damage!
-1hp/15stun/23end

shout (arms flailing and legs kicking) AHHHHHHH!

*mantis head*

OR, better yet:

The huge mekillot bites you, doing horrendous damage!
-1hp/15stun/23end

shout (gripping a bloody dagger and trying to stab ~mekillot) fuck you, man

*mantis head*
"And all around is the desert; a corner of the mournful kingdom of sand."
   - Pierre Loti

I was watching a really bad movie for kicks, and made me think of this thread.  Basically, the dude had a gaping chest wound, shouldn't have had any heart function and even so, would've bled out rapidly.  Instead, he gives a five minute prep talk to the protagonist.  Ugh, please, just take your mantishead and live with it.  ;)

... I can see shouting "fuck you, man" at a Mekillot causing it to just shit on your head. Then you get Mantis Head.

i want to die in certain ways i haven't died yet in so bad, because the ones i wanted to die in that i have, were freakin' awesome.
Quote from: Qzzrbl
THAT MAN IS DEHYDRATING!

QUICK! GIMME A BANDAGE!!

I agree with the title of this thread; roleplay is dying in this game. ;)  ::)
Quote from: Agameth
Goat porn is not prohibited in the Highlord's city.

Quote from: Zoan on March 18, 2011, 09:16:47 AM
I agree with the title of this thread; roleplay is dying in this game. ;)  ::)

I disagree very much. You're clearly not playing around my PC.  ;)

If that is a proposition, I accept.
Quote from: Agameth
Goat porn is not prohibited in the Highlord's city.