The Game's Down Thread.

Started by Zoan, January 05, 2011, 08:28:23 PM

Quote from: Cindy42 on January 06, 2011, 05:50:08 PM
for the going into debt part... i'm going to break cultural bread with you, this rather unnecessary education is a serious driving force in life for both me and my mother, who imprinted this notion in my heart at an early age from mother korea. its an honor to have a degree, and a source of pride and happiness after getting. before getting--- it is fun, a joy ride, something that you should probably be doing, and that side of the family is honestly not going to be happy if i quit now--- but i love learning too much for it to be a bother. its a problem that cannot exist for me.

/crazy asians

what i can't stand is the fact that my cousin finished high school, didn't go to college, is trying to become a rock star and that side of the family is hating on him. i dislike that. he is following his dream. i see nothing wrong with it. i wish him luck, he'll need it.

As you said, let's break cultural bread.   The generation (and maybe a generation or a half before that) that is approaching 20 - 30ish range was raised to think each block of education prepared one for the next step which eventually prepared one to go to college for four years at which time a mid-level entry job would be handed out.  That is, many followed school because of the money... not the education.  When they got out and found there was no magical "here's your new high-ranking employment" they became frustrated (mult that if they were 1st or 2nd generation to go beyond high school).   I guess what I'm saying is sadly it's a bit of a cultural thing for people to be a bit bitter when it comes to higher learning right now.

Secondly, give a few years for Tea Party to quiet down (they hate public servants like social workers) and you're going to find ample jobs open to you in the fields of social work and elderly care (Boomers are getting older!!  Some are enjoying being active seniors, others working to rebuild their nest eggs, some raising grand kids...  but pretty soon they'll join the rest homes)

"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

With all this free time everyone has, they should be voting for Arm on TMS and TMC.
You lift ~ with all your strength.
A long length of bone doesn't move.

Sigh. This stinks. Tomorrow I have to go overseas to "Where There Is No Internet Land "for two months. Two months, no email, no internet NO ARMAGEDDON. I had hoped to spend my last couple days here, playing Arm to my hearts content.  I have been patient. I have been REALLY patient. But the game is still down.  

Is it ok to break down and throw things now?
At your table, the XXXXXXXX templar says in sirihish, echoing:
     "Everyone is SAFE in His Walls."

I can haz Arm, sooon?
Sweet chaos let it unfold upon the land.
Guided forever by my adoring loving hand.
It is I the nightmare that sleeps but shall wake.

Quote from: Clavis on January 06, 2011, 07:27:01 PM
I can haz Arm, sooon?

OOOH!!  We need more LOLarm!!!!

<this space for rent>

*twitch*
Choppin muthafuckaz up with mandibles since 1995.

Quote from: My 2 sids on January 06, 2011, 07:22:30 PM
As you said, let's break cultural bread.   The generation (and maybe a generation or a half before that) that is approaching 20 - 30ish range was raised to think each block of education prepared one for the next step which eventually prepared one to go to college for four years at which time a mid-level entry job would be handed out.  That is, many followed school because of the money... not the education.  When they got out and found there was no magical "here's your new high-ranking employment" they became frustrated (mult that if they were 1st or 2nd generation to go beyond high school).   I guess what I'm saying is sadly it's a bit of a cultural thing for people to be a bit bitter when it comes to higher learning right now.

Secondly, give a few years for Tea Party to quiet down (they hate public servants like social workers) and you're going to find ample jobs open to you in the fields of social work and elderly care (Boomers are getting older!!  Some are enjoying being active seniors, others working to rebuild their nest eggs, some raising grand kids...  but pretty soon they'll join the rest homes)

Uh. I'm not "bitter" about higher learning. I went to college because I wanted to, not because I thought it would grant me a job, and studied something I enjoyed studying. I managed to get out of there with no debt (20 years ago exactly) with a degree from an extremely prestigious university, because I transferred from the local community college and my parents paid part and I worked the whole way through AND because it was, compared to what it costs today, insanely cheap. (I believe it was in the range of $3k per year in academic fees for me to attend UC Berkeley, at the time.)

But knowing what I know now (that I would be required to be the sole supporter of my family, also that I enjoy working with numbers), if I had it to do over again under the current conditions (poor job prospects, expensive higher education), I would do something very, very different. I might not go to college at all; and if I did go, I'd definitely choose to study something that would justify the cost and time.

IMO, the romanticization of the liberal arts degree and accompanying "bohemian" lifestyle is something that anyone who comes from a lower-middle-class or working-class background can't really afford; rather, it's an aping of the educational leisure of the upper classes and ultimately serves to keep the lower classes in our place (because we end up with a crapton of unnecessary debt and then have to go to work at the bottom rung of the corporate machine anyways). But heck, if your parents can afford to send you off to do something that's fundamentally a consumption of resources rather than production, and you wanna do it, then go for it.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Bottom line is companies (no matter how large or small,  no matter if the position to be filled is important or trivial) hire people.  And people often come in two sets:  those with job-skills and those with people skills (and a very few who manage to have both).   Hiring managers can teach job-skills  ;)

Had I done things differently, I would have taken more electives and fewer job-related courses. 

<this space for rent>

And I love Moe yet again. I just remembered I still owe you a drink.

Quote from: i can haz mantis on January 06, 2011, 07:19:45 PM
45 minutes and I get to leave work and go home to Arm! (hopefully... Saikun said 8pm est, right? Right?!)

Around there. He'll need to boot her up and all that. but hopefully within 30 mins
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Quote from: Norcal on January 06, 2011, 07:26:11 PM
Sigh. This stinks. Tomorrow I have to go overseas to "Where There Is No Internet Land "for two months. Two months, no email, no internet NO ARMAGEDDON. I had hoped to spend my last couple days here, playing Arm to my hearts content.  I have been patient. I have been REALLY patient. But the game is still down.  

Is it ok to break down and throw things now?

If you have a laptop, you can use a satalite ISP. there expensive, but if you really wants net..... (my friend brought one on his second tour of Iraq)
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Hey, we broke Atonement, too.

Haiku mixed with cats?
Cats can make great poetry
When not scratching eyes.

January 06, 2011, 08:02:19 PM #240 Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 08:05:05 PM by Fredd
Quote from: Erythil on January 06, 2011, 08:00:02 PM
Hey, we broke Atonement, too.

It started broke.

Oh, while I can asks.....

There used to be a mud out there. It was all ascii mapped. You built forts, and turrets, and the whole game was pvp. There was a couple people running servers years ago, does anyone know this game/ know a server? Great time killer.

Edit: when I say "built forts" I mean you literally built walls of turrets a to keep people out, a weapon shop to make guns, an armor pace, a secret weapons lab, ect. all were represented on the map. And you could go pwn in real time.

Moe,  Cutthroat,  you're my heroes

<this space for rent>

"Don't take life too seriously, nobody ever makes it out alive anyway."

game not down game go up, me play game must arm must arm already playin the Celtic music must arm arm must must arm
gotta arm gotta beat them all... *twitchs spastically eyes rolling wildly* please I just want to play

I don't care if the mantis comes and eats my head just wanna play just wanna do that one thing with that one person and then do it again.

Sweet chaos let it unfold upon the land.
Guided forever by my adoring loving hand.
It is I the nightmare that sleeps but shall wake.

While Armageddon was down, I booked a residency of four shows in May, 2 shows in February, finalized recording prospects that don't put my band in the hole too much, three out of town gigs in February, and helped build a website.

"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Am I the only one that's kind of grateful the game went down?  I like having my routine shook up.

I guess I'm weird that way; I usually enjoy power outages, too.

I've always sorta wished Arm did go down from time to time for a few days.
Then some of us might well... have lives. :D
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

This is why I miss Saturday downtimes.