Trader - Subguild

Started by Bebop, December 04, 2010, 04:55:22 PM

Quote from: FiveDisgruntledMonkeysWit on December 05, 2010, 10:09:03 PM
I like both ideas because I'm always in favor of throwing off guild-sniffers.
"Never was anything great achieved without danger."
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

What is funny is..way back in the day, before crafting, the OP suggestion was pretty much all the merchant guild was.
Value, haggle, Cav, ride pilot and a couple other things.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: Is Friday on December 05, 2010, 09:50:45 PM
*random urge*

Spec app a merchant with cavilish removed.

Just don't speak cavilish. Don't need an app for that.
The Devil doesn't dawdle.

Quote from: Scarecrow on December 06, 2010, 02:12:52 AM
*random urge*

True, but then you'd be forced to understand Cavillish anytime anyone else speaks it.

Quote from: Qzzrbl on December 06, 2010, 02:16:53 AM
Quote from: Scarecrow on December 06, 2010, 02:12:52 AM
*random urge*

True, but then you'd be forced to understand Cavillish anytime anyone else speaks it.
If you mention in your background that your character does not understand it or speak it, then it would be find to play it out as not knowing. Also, I bet that sending in an e-mail or wishing up to have it removed, as per your background, would be an easy request.
"Never was anything great achieved without danger."
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

Quote from: Barzalene on December 05, 2010, 09:38:00 PM
Quote from: Feco on December 05, 2010, 09:22:08 PM
Quote from: Cutthroat on December 04, 2010, 08:19:59 PM
I don't know, but with the way Cavilish is described in the help files it's like guild_merchants shouldn't really get it - mainly Merchant House family members and the people they hire. I don't think knowing cavilish is a prerequisite to being a trader. That said, I could see the point for a subguild like this with the way the game works. I think it would help to make more believable traders that actually deal in the goods other people make, or make money off of the fact that certain kinds of items are rarer in certain places. Perhaps not perfect cavilish to start, but at a usable level.

I wouldn't mind seeing Cavilish becoming something spoken by sponsored GMH roles, which is then taught to a non-family member after joining the mercantile/advisory branches.

Stop a bit of guild sniffing, if nothin' else.  ;D

Yes. I'm on this bus! Yes.
Also on this bus, in the back, sticking gum under yer seats.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: Archbaron on December 06, 2010, 02:57:16 AM
If you mention in your background that your character does not understand it or speak it, then it would be find to play it out as not knowing. Also, I bet that sending in an e-mail or wishing up to have it removed, as per your background, would be an easy request.

I've wished up and gotten sirihish set to like novice (but not actually removed).

I like the idea of this subguild and would be tempted to use it.  Cavilish may not be an important skill per se, but it adds much flavor.  The set of people who get it now is not ideal.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

@OP: YES PLZ.

I have asked for this several times myself.

I'm all for adding any new subguilds, be they wierd or not very skill-heavy. Any Sub thought up could find it's place I think.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

What I'd like to see is the inverse--a subguild that would allow a merchant to learn just one weapon (other than archery).  I suppose you'd have a problem with other guilds using it to boost their starting skill with the weapon.  Perhaps the subguild could start with the very minimum skill level.

This is still the subguild I want to see go in:
Quote from: spawnloser on July 16, 2010, 03:04:58 PM
QuoteSubguild Survivalist     (Character)

Survivalists aren't any better at much than most people, but what they are pretty decent at is getting from one place to the next through the wastes.  They have a good sense of where they're going (direction sense) and can get past many obstacles (climb).  They can keep themselves fed too, having a knack for finding edible roots (food forage) and cleaning their kills (skinning).
...but I like this one too.  :)
"I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."
- Jimmy James, the man so great they had to name him twice

Quote from: Marshmellow on December 06, 2010, 01:33:52 PM
This is still the subguild I want to see go in:
Quote from: spawnloser on July 16, 2010, 03:04:58 PM

Survivalists aren't any better at much than most people, but what they are pretty decent at is getting from one place to the next through the wastes.  They have a good sense of where they're going (direction sense) and can get past many obstacles (climb).  They can keep themselves fed too, having a knack for finding edible roots (food forage) and cleaning their kills (skinning).
...but I like this one too.  :)

Yeah.... If that subguild came around, it'd be my hands-down most-used.

Maybe substitute "skinning" with "value", but that's a change I could live without.

Eh.  Honestly, that sounds waaaay too powerful for a subguild.  Those skills are pretty significant just having them on your list.

Quote from: Marauder Moe on December 07, 2010, 10:20:36 AM
Eh.  Honestly, that sounds waaaay too powerful for a subguild.  Those skills are pretty significant just having them on your list.

Hell, even just Climb and Direction Sense would do it for me.

*random urge*

I've never used a special app to get a skill removed.  In the past, staff have been perfectly happy to do so, even with requests such as, "Please remove <primary language>, and lower <secondary language> until it's incomprehensible."

That said, I would like to see cavilish for merchants only at novice level unless the character is GMH.
And I would like to see that same level available through a subguild.

Morrolan
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Quote from: Qzzrbl on December 07, 2010, 09:25:00 AM

Yeah.... If that subguild came around, it'd be my hands-down most-used.

Maybe substitute "skinning" with "value", but that's a change I could live without.

This sounds strikingly similar to the scavanger subguild.  I don't know if scavanger gets any sort of skinning skill, but I think they should.  I really can't say for sure though, since I don't have access to the help files right now.  You could always petition a change to the scavanger subguild.

With regards to Cavilish: It makes sense that merchants use a specific language for their trade.  With no access to helpfiles, I'd surmise that traders likely developed a hybrid language to help communicate with foreign traders.  This happens in the real world, so I'd imagine that Cavilish would have developed as a language in a similar way.  Merchant houses also have limited ability to read and write in this language, since it is essential for dealing with logistics and detail-oriented crafts, as well as passing along knowledge of the trade to future generations.  However, with the limitations imposed on reading and writing by the Templarate and nobility of both cities, I would imagine that the both noble parties ensure that complex writing in Cavilish does not develop to prevent detailed accumulation or transfer of knowledge (power).  Again, I don't know the background on Cavilish, but for the reasons above I think it would be reasonable to consider drafting some flavor documentation that limits the complexity of the Cavilish language and writing.

Kind of getting off topic there.  :)

I'm glad a few of you guys like the idea by the way.  I think it would be beneficial to the game overall and let people create characters that like to RP being swift talkers in the marketplaces across the world.  Seeing some comments here have definitely reinforced my opinion that it could help reduce guild sniffing.

*is distracted by Bebops avatar as he is going to post, and forgets what he was gonna say*
The Devil doesn't dawdle.

I like the idea just for the additional subguild option but I have no concerns about guild sniffing, it has never been a problem for me.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

When it comes to subguild options, my opinion is the more the merrier.  As long as they're balanced, having a nice variety of subguilds leads to less guild sniffing and more diverse character's out there.  Trader seems like a good addition.

December 08, 2010, 02:40:31 PM #46 Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 02:47:02 PM by Medivh
Quote from: wizturbo on December 08, 2010, 01:27:44 PM
When it comes to subguild options, my opinion is the more the merrier.  As long as they're balanced, having a nice variety of subguilds leads to less guild sniffing and more diverse character's out there.  Trader seems like a good addition.

Merchant/Trader. Adds nothing.
Just a thought. (Some newbie would think its a good idea...)
Even Ranger/Hunter gives the ranger something early.
For other guilds... (as has been said) con artist does the same, minus the language. (Which can be gotten through in-game means.) Thus making con artist a stronger subguild in every way for the long term.
My thoughts on balance...

This isn't to say I do not like the idea though.

Perhaps we could throw calvilish onto linguist? (So it finally gets three skills; since biters, manti, and githers are gone.)
Backstab is actually the only dialog option an assassin has.

Quote from: Medivh on December 08, 2010, 02:40:31 PM
Perhaps we could throw calvilish onto linguist?

Personally, I would prefer this.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

The combination of cavilish + haggle with a combat guild is what really sells this to me.  It's a great combination for anybody with a mercantile background.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

I don't like the idea of giving it to linguist.