Sociopath

Started by Faustin, October 08, 2010, 08:21:08 PM

Oh, no!  Evil characters with no guilt reflex hiding in plain sight are bad for stories!

Wait ...

Nevermind.

November 07, 2011, 12:24:51 AM #76 Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 12:44:47 AM by Dalmeth
Quote from: Marauder Moe on November 06, 2011, 11:42:49 PM
Likewise, I'm not entirely sure what's inherently wrong with playing a character who lacks a moral compass.

I think it all boils down to roleplaying well (realistically and consistently) is good, roleplaying poorly is bad.

My point exactly.  The myth of the sociopath and the reality are worlds apart.

So if folks want to use pop culture icons as inspirations for their characters, that's fine by me, but using the clinical term to instruct others will just lead to confusion and cheap-ass characters.

I say the really scary people are the ones who don't do bad things because they're mentally defective.  Then, the lying, thieving, and murdering isn't just sad, it's downright terrifying.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

I'm not saying it shouldn't be done, but Moe's example was great:  do some have sexual relations with those outside their own race?  Yes.  But, that doesn't mean such would be considered acceptable socially normal ICly, nor can the OOC argument be made that it should become ICly acceptable.
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

Quote from: Dalmeth on November 07, 2011, 12:24:51 AM
Quote from: Marauder Moe on November 06, 2011, 11:42:49 PM
Likewise, I'm not entirely sure what's inherently wrong with playing a character who lacks a moral compass.

I think it all boils down to roleplaying well (realistically and consistently) is good, roleplaying poorly is bad.

My point exactly.  The myth of the sociopath and the reality are worlds apart.

So if folks want to use pop culture icons as inspirations for their characters, that's fine by me, but using the clinical term to instruct others will just lead to confusion and cheap-ass characters.
Wait, what?

Roleplaying mental illness realistically, backed by clinical descriptions, makes for cheap and confusing characters... but playing out the Hollywood version of a mental illness is A-OK?

Quote from: My 2 sids on November 07, 2011, 06:52:37 AM
I'm not saying it shouldn't be done, but Moe's example was great:  do some have sexual relations with those outside their own race?  Yes.  But, that doesn't mean such would be considered acceptable socially normal ICly, nor can the OOC argument be made that it should become ICly acceptable.

Yes, inter-racial relations in Arm violate social norms. Would sociopaths violate social norms too? In Allanak, I think barely. In Tuluk? Most likely. In Red Storm? Would anyone care? In tribes? Very likely. However, there is a big difference between a social norm, and an anti-social personality disorder.

I think this is where we have completely different perspectives:

You see a sociopath character as an excuse to play a 2-dimensional twink and ignore game rules and documentation.

I see a sociopath character as an interesting, extremely challenging chance to portray a realistic, well-layered, dysfunctional character.

As has been said before in the thread, not all sociopaths are serial killers. Most sociopaths lead completely normal lives, and the intelligent ones would seem just like you or I.

It should be noted that in real life, sociopaths make up about 1-4% of the population. They would be very rare, but I believe still entirely present in Zalanthas. If a player chooses to play a sociopath, I believe it would be one of the most challenging roles they would experience if done right.

Because how does one act out a character with absolutely no conscience? For a sociopath the answer may come easy, but for everyone else with a conscience the idea is foreign and bizarre. This is why I say it would be challenging, and if anyone ever attempts such a role, huge kudos to them.

Quote from: Marauder Moe on November 07, 2011, 01:14:58 PM
Roleplaying mental illness realistically, backed by clinical descriptions, makes for cheap and confusing characters... but playing out the Hollywood version of a mental illness is A-OK?

I'm saying it's easier.  Clinical descriptions are made for diagnosis, not for replication.  For that reason, they are incomplete when it comes to trying to understand the character.

People who write for entertainment are more likely to present a more complete mindset.  Choose your works carefully, and you'll find far richer fields for your RP fodder.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

This is only partially related but I was wondering if anyone has ever done a cannibal PC. Like a kinda all around charming person that also happens to eat people. If so I want to hear about it. That is if anything like that has ever even gotten past the staffers before...

Quote from: thelinguring on December 17, 2011, 04:31:59 AM
This is only partially related but I was wondering if anyone has ever done a cannibal PC. Like a kinda all around charming person that also happens to eat people. If so I want to hear about it. That is if anything like that has ever even gotten past the staffers before...

My Salarri was a cannibal a couple times.

Not many people found that one out.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Quote from: Fathi on December 17, 2011, 05:37:04 AM

My Salarri was a cannibal a couple times.

Not many people found that one out.

Neat. I have an idea for one, but I don't think I have the experience or time to make them really great.

All nobles and templars are sociopaths.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Quote from: ShaLeah on December 17, 2011, 10:10:19 AM

Can you elaborate?   that makes no sense.
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

Quote from: My 2 sids on December 17, 2011, 10:46:47 AM

It makes perfect sense if you have no idea what you're talking about and haven't bothered to read the rest of the thread.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on December 17, 2011, 12:13:33 PM
Quote from: My 2 sids on December 17, 2011, 10:46:47 AM

It makes perfect sense if you have no idea what you're talking about and haven't bothered to read the rest of the thread.

He's right, I didn't read the thread, I read the title and responded to that. :)
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.