Emote Envy

Started by burble, September 22, 2010, 12:02:08 PM

Firstly, I lol'd when I ready the first post in this thread.
Secondly, I find there are a few players who emote really nicely, and I extremely enjoy rping with them.
However on the other end of the spectrum I have seen a few players who do something that grates my nerves big time.
They don't use commas, periods or capitals at all, letting their speech spill out as one breathless line of annoying. Please, use capitals, use commas, and use periods. You know who you are. Sometimes when I see this I want to OOC tell them "nooblet, please clean up the talking" but I don't because I don't want to be labelled a word nazi.
I don't have emote envy, rather emote grief. Please do not cause emote grief by lazy speech and emote input.
Thank You.
The Devil doesn't dawdle.

Quote from: Scarecrow on October 01, 2010, 08:02:01 PM
Secondly, I find there are a few players who emote really nicely, and I extremely enjoy rping with them.
However on the other end of the spectrum I have seen a few players who do something that grates my nerves big time.
They don't use commas, periods or capitals at all, letting their speech spill out as one breathless line of annoying. Please, use capitals, use commas, and use periods. You know who you are. Sometimes when I see this I want to OOC tell them "nooblet, please clean up the talking" but I don't because I don't want to be labelled a word nazi.
I don't have emote envy, rather emote grief. Please do not cause emote grief by lazy speech and emote input.
Thank You.

*writes this shit in letters made of flame, fifty goddamn feet high, on the inside of the eyelids and genitals of the perpetrators*

Seriously, gorramit, punctuation is NOT that fucking hard.  And it's not just noobs!  People who have been playing for YEARS still do this.

It makes me want to pay Sir Richard Branson to send me into orbit, just so I can fall out of the sky, fist extended, and cockpunch the sonofabitch who does this straight to China.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Ya'll hating, sorry that we didn't major in English.
"Brain wave, main wave"
Psycho got a high kick
Collect and select
Show me your best set

Quote from: Reiteration on October 02, 2010, 12:43:08 PM
Y'all hating; sorry that we didn't major in English.

ftfy
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: Reiteration on October 02, 2010, 12:43:08 PM
Ya'll hating, sorry that we didn't major in English.

Speak for yourself.  =)

You don't have to major in English to use a capital letter and a period to end your sentence. You don't even have to be a native English speaker.

Really.

You don't.

That's a retarded excuse.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

The funny part is I usually do type that final punctuation mark. For some reason it keeps happening after I hit enter.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: Barzalene on October 02, 2010, 04:22:04 PMThe funny part is I usually do type that final punctuation mark. For some reason it keeps happening after I hit enter.
I've done this before.  If you generally punctuate but have the occasional flub, I don't think anyone will care.  It's the people that consistently do not capitalize the first letter of a sentence or add the finishing punctuation that annoy.
"I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."
- Jimmy James, the man so great they had to name him twice

This sort of thing doesn't bother me.
Quote from: scienceAn early study by Plaut and Kohn-Speyer (1947)[11] found that horse smegma had a carcinogenic effect on mice. Heins et al.(1958)

Sometimes mudlet makes the period at the end of a sentence disappear.

Not even kidding.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Take a typing class. Or go online to the many resources where you can practice 'touch typing' it's really not that hard. I learned to type in middle school and built upon it through mudding and I'm at a solid 120 wpm usually whenever. And punctuation and grammar isn't that hard, but if you suck at it, no big deal. I just am going to want to play more with the cleganes of the mud rather then the guy who never emotes.

Woody Allen said, "90 percent of success is showing up," or some shit like that.   If somebody is in a scene, and they talk in all undercase letters but are present and responding well, why not just roll with it?

Seriously, it breaks my immersion much more to see "The fuckable, fuck-me woman" every time someone talks, than it does to see an uncapitalized letter.

My Immersionz get broked when it looks like the person has no lungs, and is speaking in one long  breathless word ejaculation. I don't mind if it happens a few times, mistakes happen that's just part of being human (those who don't make mistakes are da cyborgz you know who you are) so that's cool.
But I KNOW of several "serial" offenders who I cringe when I see them enter the room. It's just a pet peeve, it doesn't ruin my fun no, but I don't think it's being nazi to require someone to use capitals and a period at the end of their talk/emote/sing/mulletrockballad whatever.
Plus to it seems Mal is totally going to punch people in the groin so, yeah, might want to watch out for that if he catches you doing da lazee gramah.
For instance when it is badly written out it actually changes how the interaction seems, the intent behind the words and the mood of the speaker, even when it's not intended.
Example:
Me: Hello there, pal. Did you do as requested and take a dump in the Lord Templar's clothing hamper?
Offender: yes i did it where are my coins
As opposed to:
Redeemed Offender: Yes, I did it. Where are my coins?

The badly done one seems breathless, nooby, childish and robotic. The corrected one actually sounds like something a sentient being would say. Again, it's not a big thing, but honestly, if we're proficient enough to have the character application accepted and actually play a game that relies on cerebral agility to enjoy and perform properly, why is a capital or a period so hard to do?
Nazi out.

For the grammarians, I hope you get EE Cummings and William Faulkner books for Christmas.

Many of the suggestions have been incredibly good. I hope they help others besides me in the future.

As for why I started this thread, some people have a great command of showing how they feel - the body language - with their emotes. It is amazing to watch.

For my char, the inner conflicts just threw me. I often found my char was doing things that were opposite of how he felt on the inside.
For example, jealousy: X says ..., Think "Why did she mention him again", Feel "crushed", say "(shoulders slumping) Sure, sounds great".

Only 1/3 of that shows to the other player and for something so important to my char it just didn't seem to convey enough information. All of this is on the fly, so I was scrambling sometimes (you should have seen me at the keyboard twisting my face and hands and trying to think of words to describe it). What does jealousy look like, envy..the jeapardy clock is ticking..my head almost exploding.

Lying was another. I didn't think he should be a good liar so I just punted and blurted out the truth instead of thinking up something subtle (this is hindsight of course) like "say (beads of sweat appearing on his brow).."

It was a learning (very fun) experience.

Quote from: burble on October 03, 2010, 08:50:10 AM

Think "Why did she mention him again", Feel "crushed", say "(shoulders slumping) Sure, sounds great".

You're out of your mind. That's great. More than that would have been too much. And the shoulder slump conveys it absolutely. And in 25 words or less!
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: Barzalene on October 03, 2010, 09:23:26 AM

Think "Why did she mention him again", Feel "crushed", say "(shoulders slumping) Sure, sounds great".

You're out of your mind. That's great. More than that would have been too much. And the shoulder slump conveys it absolutely. And in 25 words or less!

Exactly. It's not like we can all see or hear your character's thoughts or feelings. You conveyed them, partially, enough that someone who was maybe very astute, might be able to pinpoint precisely what was going on, but then you gave enough to the outside world.

No one's going to bitch at you for a two word command emote. At all. I thought (think) you were (are) great.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

For example, jealousy: X says ..., Think "Why did she mention him again", Feel "crushed", say "(shoulders slumping) Sure, sounds great".

Some good writer or something once said that '"brevity is the soul of wit" (Shakespeare).  Some other smarty pants said "keep it simple stupid" (an aerospace engineer, I think). 

Don't beat yourself up over getting to the point and dispensing with the florid prose.  Not every action needs three adjectives attached to it, not every emote needs a metaphor or simile.  They're fun once in a while, but they're not required (and honestly get annoying to me if overdone).  Whenever I start feeling down on myself about emote quality, I look to hardboiled detective fiction for inspiration.   It's short, direct - sometimes brutally to the point - yet has a beautiful rhythm and flow to it that makes it awesome to read.

For the grammarians, I hope you get EE Cummings and William Faulkner books for Christmas.

Please. Asking for basic capitalization and punctuation is not a grammarian pedant; it's asking for basic readability and clarity. A novel with which you have unlimited time to decipher and plow through has zero comparability to an interactive text game.

Though for all the flowery uber-emoters, I hope they get some Hemingway books for Christmas. ;)

I like it when people use commas, periods and the like. Thank you to those who do it, it helps my Immersionz.
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

Quote from: Malifaxis on October 02, 2010, 11:36:09 AM
Thank You.

*writes this shit in letters made of flame, fifty goddamn feet high, on the inside of the eyelids and genitals of the perpetrators*

Seriously, gorramit, punctuation is NOT that fucking hard.  And it's not just noobs!  People who have been playing for YEARS still do this.

It makes me want to pay Sir Richard Branson to send me into orbit, just so I can fall out of the sky, fist extended, and cockpunch the sonofabitch who does this straight to China.

But if they're Chinese?

o:

Quote from: Qzzrbl on October 04, 2010, 05:59:33 AM
Thank You.

But if they're Chinese?

o:

They go all around the world and come back to where they were standing.  :)

Quote from: Qzzrbl on October 04, 2010, 05:59:33 AM
Thank You.

But if they're Chinese?

o:

I have a work-around, don't worry.  Contrary to popular research, Chinese people do have groins.  They don't reproduce by spores, as has been believed by years.

By the posts above, looks like I have a few people to add to my "never listen to a damn thing they say" list.  For fucks sake, punctuation is as difficult to master as breathing.  If congress hadn't just outlawed the use of the term "mental retardation" then I'd have quite the flame for you.

Of course that is only in federal law, so maybe I'll just work that flame in cleverly somehow...
-Reiloth

October 04, 2010, 09:45:15 AM #97 Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 09:47:16 AM by brytta.leofa
What Malifaxis is saying is nobody expects long, baroquely florid emotes.  If you're capable of that, English major or no, that's excellent, we love you, and you should probably play in Tuluk you hippie--but it's not the baseline.

Malifaxis goes on to say that the minimum expectation shouldn't be difficult for anyone, as it's simply what most of us had to demonstrate in order to pass out of the elementary grades: compliance with the basic, non-esoteric rules of English grammar.  (Capitalize the start of a sentence; end with punctuation; try not to comma splice; check yo apostrophes.)

Think of Malifaxis as a stern yet lovable bewimpled nun and you'll do well.
<secondary hand>   a stout wooden ruler
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on October 04, 2010, 09:45:15 AM
What Malifaxis is saying is nobody expects long, baroquely florid emotes.  If you're capable of that, English major or no, that's excellent, we love you, and you should probably play in Tuluk you hippie--but it's not the baseline.

Malifaxis goes on to say that the minimum expectation shouldn't be difficult for anyone, as it's simply what most of us had to demonstrate in order to pass out of the elementary grades: compliance with the basic, non-esoteric rules of English grammar.  (Capitalize the start of a sentence; end with punctuation; try not to comma splice; check yo apostrophes.)

Think of Malifaxis as a stern yet lovable bewimpled nun and you'll do well.
<secondary hand>   a stout wooden ruler

-Reiloth

Quote from: Malifaxis on October 04, 2010, 09:50:46 AM

Now I really want to be bad.  ::)

Am I the only one who clearly differentiates between emotes and dialogue? I don't get the connection at all.
Yap is natural. Describing body language is TOUGH.

I would suggest you all need punishment but after seeing that picture I want to be first in line.