Emote Envy

Started by burble, September 22, 2010, 12:02:08 PM

Quote from: Malifaxis on October 04, 2010, 09:09:31 AM
Quote from: Qzzrbl on October 04, 2010, 05:59:33 AM
Quote from: Malifaxis on October 02, 2010, 11:36:09 AM
Quote from: Scarecrow on October 01, 2010, 08:02:01 PM
Firstly, I lol'd when I ready the first post in this thread.
Secondly, I find there are a few players who emote really nicely, and I extremely enjoy rping with them.
However on the other end of the spectrum I have seen a few players who do something that grates my nerves big time.
They don't use commas, periods or capitals at all, letting their speech spill out as one breathless line of annoying. Please, use capitals, use commas, and use periods. You know who you are. Sometimes when I see this I want to OOC tell them "nooblet, please clean up the talking" but I don't because I don't want to be labelled a word nazi.
I don't have emote envy, rather emote grief. Please do not cause emote grief by lazy speech and emote input.
Thank You.

*writes this shit in letters made of flame, fifty goddamn feet high, on the inside of the eyelids and genitals of the perpetrators*

Seriously, gorramit, punctuation is NOT that fucking hard.  And it's not just noobs!  People who have been playing for YEARS still do this.

It makes me want to pay Sir Richard Branson to send me into orbit, just so I can fall out of the sky, fist extended, and cockpunch the sonofabitch who does this straight to China.

But if they're Chinese?

o:

I have a work-around, don't worry.  Contrary to popular research, Chinese people do have groins.  They don't reproduce by spores, as has been believed by years.

By the posts above, looks like I have a few people to add to my "never listen to a damn thing they say" list.  For fucks sake, punctuation is as difficult to master as breathing.  If congress hadn't just outlawed the use of the term "mental retardation" then I'd have quite the flame for you.

Of course that is only in federal law, so maybe I'll just work that flame in cleverly somehow...

wait back that fun bus up malifaxis are you saying that flame was for me or were you saying that flame was for somebody else i cant tell because you quoted me and said that stuff i hope you didnt aim that at me because that would make me a sad panda

That was -very- painful to type out....

Qz, I always listen to you.  Except when you want to bring peanut butter and a german shepherd into our relationship.  That's where I draw the line.

Even though the emoting possibilities are endless.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

...I wasn't going to contribute to this thread...but I must...

It really, really annoys me when people mix their emoting and dialogue.  Grrr!

Quote from: manipura on October 05, 2010, 08:08:30 PM
It really, really annoys me when people mix their emoting and dialogue.  Grrr!
What?
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Well, sometimes I'm playing along and I run into somebody who doesn't seem to differentiate well between their emoting and their spoken conversation.  Ummm, example?

>The so-and-so, so-and-so tells you OK, as he waves to you.

Does that make sense?  I'm don't think I'm explaining well...

>The so-and-so, so-and-so asks Want some? and offers a tube of rolled spice.

Don't get me wrong, it doesn't happen often, so when it -does- it's a little jarring.

I still don't get it.  ???
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

I think she means when someone speaks in an emote.

emote shouts 'praise da highlurd tektolnes'

instead of

shout praise da highlurd tektonles

If that's happening, it's more likely that they are new players coming from MUDs and other games where it actually is possible to embed speech into emotes. You could use OOC to direct them to 'help tell' or the other helpfiles on communication and I doubt anyone would raise a fuss.

Ahhh...I see.  Didn't know that.  Arm is the only game I've ever played so I have nothing to compare to. 
Thanks...I bet a new player would find that OOC nudge toward the help files helpful...

I think in MUSHes you'll find that you can (is it emit?) speech and emotes all in one block.

Speaking of speech in emotes....

A big peeve of mine is when people ">emote mumbles curses under his breath in Allundean".

Because everyone who sees that emote -TOTALLY- knows how to identify stuff like that in filthy necker language.

I'll sometimes do:

emote curses sharply
emote mumbles something under his breath

Because it seems that a curse can be recognized regardless of the bystander's ability to speak the language - same with the mumble.  In this case the emote communicates emotion and not the content of the statement.

emote mumbles something under his breath.

^^ That's a-okay in my books.

emote curses sharply

^^ That assumes my character, or any other character in the room, can understand what you're saying.

Like, if a halfling ran up to my gith and started emoting curses-- that's just gibberish to me. (clicks and whistles if it's a mantis)

I dunno.

I know I said it was a big peeve of mine in my last post here, but it's actually pretty minor-- for me at least.

Quote from: Malifaxis on October 05, 2010, 09:50:29 AM
Qz, I always listen to you.  Except when you want to bring peanut butter and a german shepherd into our relationship.  That's where I draw the line.

Even though the emoting possibilities are endless.

Look Mal, you remember those videos we made a while back?

Yeah.

Those.

You fucking owe me.

I don't think this is gonna work out if "give and take" means I give and you take.

The speech in emote thing.

How do I do this?

My pc walks into a bar. Your pc is sitting at the bar. Between us is some big important guy making a scene.

I want to mouth something to you.

My thought would be to use the hemote command.

I'll take better suggestions though.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: Barzalene on October 06, 2010, 07:36:53 AM
My pc walks into a bar. Your pc is sitting at the bar. Between us is some big important guy making a scene.

I'd consider using whisper with an explanatory command emote.
> whisper amos (mouthing the words where #me stands behind ~fancypants) Don't worry! Talia is fine!

It uses the language code, and it (I assume) gives people a chance to overhear without ensuring that they do.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on October 06, 2010, 09:03:25 AM
Quote from: Barzalene on October 06, 2010, 07:36:53 AM

I'd consider using whisper with an explanatory command emote.
> whisper amos (mouthing the words where #me stands behind ~fancypants) Don't worry! Talia is fine!

It uses the language code, and it (I assume) gives people a chance to overhear without ensuring that they do.

That feels more jarring to me. It negates the users of space.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: Barzalene on October 06, 2010, 09:13:09 AM
That feels more jarring to me. It negates the users of space.

Yeah. It's not a good answer.

Probably I would use the Way.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

October 06, 2010, 09:51:40 AM #119 Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 09:56:04 AM by Kronus
Quote from: DustMight on October 05, 2010, 10:43:01 PM
I think in MUSHes you'll find that you can (is it emit?) speech and emotes all in one block.

Not only can, but should.  It took me a while to wrap my brain around the Arm way.  Command emotes help a LOT.

The command in MUSH is still emote but the end result is usually called a 'pose' (as in the sense of posing a doll).  Emit allows players to make poses without the character name automatically appearing at the beginning, the same as using @ in the middle of an emote in Arm except you're not forced to put your name in at all.  It's useful for adding atmospheric elements independent of your character, animating NPCs and running storylines.

Quote from: manipura on October 05, 2010, 08:30:56 PM
Well, sometimes I'm playing along and I run into somebody who doesn't seem to differentiate well between their emoting and their spoken conversation.  Ummm, example?

>The so-and-so, so-and-so tells you OK, as he waves to you.

Does that make sense?  I'm don't think I'm explaining well...

>The so-and-so, so-and-so asks Want some? and offers a tube of rolled spice.

Don't get me wrong, it doesn't happen often, so when it -does- it's a little jarring.

I'd think most new players get past their talk-with-emote stage. And if they're not, a gentle, friendly OOC never hurts...before you lead them outside to 'go hunting'.

Quote from: Kronus on October 06, 2010, 09:51:40 AM
Quote from: DustMight on October 05, 2010, 10:43:01 PM

Not only can, but should.  It took me a while to wrap my brain around the Arm way.  Command emotes help a LOT.

The command in MUSH is still emote but the end result is usually called a 'pose' (as in the sense of posing a doll).  Emit allows players to make poses without the character name automatically appearing at the beginning, the same as using @ in the middle of an emote in Arm except you're not forced to put your name in at all.  It's useful for adding atmospheric elements independent of your character, animating NPCs and running storylines.

This is one of the things I love about MUSHes and miss in Armageddon.  However, a friend from a MUSH did comment that our emote syntax was pretty cool.
Of course, he's never seen the result of wiping one's mouth on the mis-targeted Templar.

Quote from: DustMight on October 14, 2010, 04:52:27 AM
However, a friend from a MUSH did comment that our emote syntax was pretty cool.
Of course, he's never seen the result of wiping one's mouth on the mis-targeted Templar.

This.
When we found her Marnlee mornin',
Hoofprints walking up her back
There were empties by her war braids
And sixty-five dead carru in a stack.

~ Unknown - Heru Got Runover by a Carru