Emote Envy

Started by burble, September 22, 2010, 12:02:08 PM

Quote from: Lizzie on September 23, 2010, 12:56:17 PM
The runons totally ruin the mood.

Smiling slightly, her hair bouncing seductively over her angular shoulders which shrug mildly, as she nods vaguely to you, the runon lass says, in runon-accented sirihish, "Please stab me in the face."

That's not really a run-on sentence, the clauses aren't independent.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: Sam on September 25, 2010, 08:46:04 AM
Seriously, why even use runons; semi colons would do just fine.

Semicolons and periods mid-emote are awesome. Too bad there are capitalization/punctuation errors if you end or start a new sentence mid-emote with a ~/% reference.

My problem with semi-colons; smirks.
A dark-shelled scrab pinches at you, but you dodge out of the way.
A dark-shelled scrab brandishes its bone-handled, obsidian scimitar.
A dark-shelled scrab holds its bloodied wicked-edged, bone scimitar.

Quote from: Rhyden on September 22, 2010, 07:59:30 PM
Firstly, read lots of books.

This, I think, is the best advice for anyone trying to improve their emote quality.  I would go a step further and say read fiction, because there you are more likely to encounter descriptions of characters performing actions, which is the crux.
"Never do today what you can put off till tomorrow."

-Aaron Burr

Quote from: hyzhenhok on September 25, 2010, 09:09:34 AM

Semicolons and periods mid-emote are awesome. Too bad there are capitalization/punctuation errors if you end or start a new sentence mid-emote with a ~/% reference.
I wish I could use semicolons, and there has been more than one time I wanted too, but I cant figure out how to get it so Mudlet doesn't take that to mean a new line.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Yeah, semicolons are a problem because most MUD clients use that as the command-stacking character.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Sometimes I feel with command emotes that semicolons fuck up the flow. I love semicolons; you can do so much with them! I guess flow is fucked up more if and when someone uses a semicolon improperly, but still. Things gotta sound right, to me.

Man, I'm not emote envious. I'm emote self-conscious.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Quote from: boog on September 25, 2010, 03:17:43 PM
I'm emote self-conscious.

This.  And I worry that people think I'm slow because I'm finishing thinks/hemotes before I can reply to someone's remark.
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

The Official GDB Hate Cycle

Quote from: Synthesis on September 25, 2010, 02:57:04 PM
Yeah, semicolons are a problem because most MUD clients use that as the command-stacking character.

That's one of the things I always reconfigure when I change clients.

Quote from: Aaron Goulet on September 25, 2010, 03:32:20 PM
Quote from: boog on September 25, 2010, 03:17:43 PM
I'm emote self-conscious.

This.  And I worry that people think I'm slow because I'm finishing thinks/hemotes before I can reply to someone's remark.

I'm not too slow, but I know that I get really anxious if people take too long, even for a little emote. I try to slow down and wait, but 5 minutes between command emotes that are like, 5 words long ...

I'll try to be more forgiving. I just end up alt tabbing and losing focus of the scene if people take a hellishly long time.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on September 25, 2010, 05:28:29 PM

I was thinking of a particular spell where you need to have the semicolon as a command-stack character if you want to use it at all.  I guess you don't have to worry about it if you're not using it, though.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Some clients have a character that sends the next character no matter what. It's particularly useful for adding semi-colons, since you can just type \; or something similar and get it sent though.

Quote from: Synthesis on September 25, 2010, 07:32:15 PM

I was thinking of a particular spell where you need to have the semicolon as a command-stack character if you want to use it at all.  I guess you don't have to worry about it if you're not using it, though.

I usually replace ';' with '\'.  I somehow think that '\' has a special meaning in Arm, too--formatting songs or something?--but I don't play northies anyway.

A lot of clients have ; as a new line in commands, but has ;; as send a single semi-colon.
"I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."
- Jimmy James, the man so great they had to name him twice

I know it's cliche but it's not how big your emotes are, but how/where/when you use them.

Big is good, if it's full of useful information, otherwise it's just spam/self indulgence.  But if one is bored with nothing else going on, it can't hurt to indulge (practice), right?

September 25, 2010, 10:41:14 PM #66 Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 10:45:55 PM by Ampere
Quote from: brytta.leofa on September 25, 2010, 08:50:20 PM
Quote from: Synthesis on September 25, 2010, 07:32:15 PM

I was thinking of a particular spell where you need to have the semicolon as a command-stack character if you want to use it at all.  I guess you don't have to worry about it if you're not using it, though.

I usually replace ';' with '\'.  I somehow think that '\' has a special meaning in Arm, too--formatting songs or something?--but I don't play northies anyway.

Some over here. ...and you use pipes to break up songs/recitations.

Oops:
Quote from: help singYou can break up your song into multiple lines by using '|', '/' or '\'. There is a limit of five lines per use of the sing command (so you can do at most four seperators in a line).
Quote from: scienceAn early study by Plaut and Kohn-Speyer (1947)[11] found that horse smegma had a carcinogenic effect on mice. Heins et al.(1958)

I'm sure you're emoting as good as anyone.  But I know what you mean, I tend to feel like every emote comes out the same.  I have these certain lines.  Some character can't use certain lines that others can, but I have a basic repertoire of emotes and I use them over and over again.  Once and while, I'll spout out something tremendously witty.  And sometimes I have this really perfect word, but I can't figure out how to spell it, and I have like three seconds to get an emote in, so I just go for something mundane and hit enter.  Now so that I'm not completely unhelpful.  I guess I -am- a helper. ;)  The best advice I can give you is read other emotes and take bits and pieces from them and reuse those tidbits in your own ways.  I'm always starved for new adjectives and metaphors.  I'm always looking for new tricks to add to my hat.
, / ^ \ ,                   
|| --- || L D I E L

Quote from: Aldiel on September 25, 2010, 11:59:20 PM
I'm sure you're emoting as good as anyone.  But I know what you mean, I tend to feel like every emote comes out the same.  I have these certain lines.  Some character can't use certain lines that others can, but I have a basic repertoire of emotes and I use them over and over again.  Once and while, I'll spout out something tremendously witty.  And sometimes I have this really perfect word, but I can't figure out how to spell it, and I have like three seconds to get an emote in, so I just go for something mundane and hit enter.  Now so that I'm not completely unhelpful.  I guess I -am- a helper. ;)  The best advice I can give you is read other emotes and take bits and pieces from them and reuse those tidbits in your own ways.  I'm always starved for new adjectives and metaphors.  I'm always looking for new tricks to add to my hat.

Also, coffee and a good nights sleep help. :)
, / ^ \ ,                   
|| --- || L D I E L

Quote from: boog on September 25, 2010, 07:24:06 PM
I'm not too slow, but I know that I get really anxious if people take too long, even for a little emote. I try to slow down and wait, but 5 minutes between command emotes that are like, 5 words long ...

I'll try to be more forgiving. I just end up alt tabbing and losing focus of the scene if people take a hellishly long time.

I like falling asleep at my keyboard at 3am, waking back up long enough to type a gibberish emote at Boog while confusing most of the pronouns and mispelling all adjectives, then falling back asleep for five minutes.

It's excellent that in a thread where people are opening up about misgivings about emoting you guys are here to nitpick at grammar.

This game is going to be awesome when all the regular people are gone and just the perfect are left. Wish I could be there to see it.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Imagine the day when we look forward to seeing the stock emotes...

The tall muscular man killz j00 bitches. :;: hey guyz what up?

The broad, blonde man lulz. pinches tall muscular mans but

The busty, petite lass nothin much d00d u rdy to ply?

The tall muscular man nods.

Look Barz, I can hyperbole too.

Quote from: boog on September 25, 2010, 07:24:06 PM
I'm not too slow, but I know that I get really anxious if people take too long, even for a little emote.

I kinda just wait for the sap.

I am a slow typer. As soon as I am done pressing enter I will create my next line, minus the speech.

tell guy (jumping back)

If the emote I typed doesn't fit, I just press down and start a new one.
You lift ~ with all your strength.
A long length of bone doesn't move.

Best way to up your emotive speed is always to force yourself to emote in combat, whether sparring or singular npc.  Putting through coherent, realistic actions while still keeping up with the things you need to do while in combat will better your skills as an active typist.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.