RTW Derail: -armed tag on people with weapons

Started by Blackisback, July 14, 2010, 08:11:30 AM

A tall, muscular man is standing here.
-He is armed

Quote from: Blackisback on July 14, 2010, 08:11:30 AM
-He is armed

I think it's logical that if you have to look at someone to see the three foot horn sticking out of their face while cloaked that you also have to look at them to see that they're armed.

But that's just going to lead to another minirant about how people overreact to people LOOKing at them.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Doesn't assess -v give you armed?  ??? I know it gives a good few general qualities.

Quote from: AmandaGreathouse on July 16, 2010, 04:16:08 PM
Quote from: Blackisback on July 14, 2010, 08:11:30 AM
-He is armed

I think it's logical that if you have to look at someone to see the three foot horn sticking out of their face while cloaked that you also have to look at them to see that they're armed.

But that's just going to lead to another minirant about how people overreact to people LOOKing at them.

If it's obvious someone is carrying a backpack, it should be obvious they are armed.

You can't tell someone is wearing a pack without looking at them.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on July 16, 2010, 05:32:07 PM
You can't tell someone is wearing a pack without looking at them.

The tall, muscular man is standing here.
-He is carrying a large leather backpack

Not equipped, just carrying.

That has to do with the size and weight of the item. For instance say if someone is carrying around a couch, that will be pretty obvious.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on July 16, 2010, 07:06:25 PM
That has to do with the size and weight of the item. For instance say if someone is carrying around a couch, that will be pretty obvious.

And if someone were wielding a deadly weapon, you're saying you wouldn't notice this?

The best fix, IMO is to make 'assess -v' not echo to the assessee unless they are watching you or actively scanning.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

(Which is already the case, for the most part)

Quote from: a strange shadow on July 17, 2010, 11:23:30 AM
(Which is already the case, for the most part)

Hrm didn't know that.  I thought I had gotten the echo before when not scanning/watching.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Your character doesn't have to be actively watching.  Actively watching increases the chances of noticing things like someone assessing someone else.  Watch is the skill involved in the check to see if your character notices.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: Blackisback on July 17, 2010, 10:54:59 AM

And if someone were wielding a deadly weapon, you're saying you wouldn't notice this?

In a world where everyone ins carrying around a blade, not without looking at them. And when I saw it I wouldn't be surprised. Holding a weapon doesn't mean wielding it offensively.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on July 17, 2010, 04:27:21 PM

In a world where everyone ins carrying around a blade, not without looking at them. And when I saw it I wouldn't be surprised. Holding a weapon doesn't mean wielding it offensively.

So where is the differentiation between seeing someone carrying a backpack and someone wielding a deadly weapon? Why have one without the other?

If the person was HOLDing (ES/Hold) it, sure, but if the person is WIELDing (EP/ETWO) it then I'd defiantly notice it.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Quote from: Blackisback on July 17, 2010, 08:08:04 PM

So where is the differentiation between seeing someone carrying a backpack and someone wielding a deadly weapon? Why have one without the other?

I already explained this. It's a function of the code, not a mirror of reality. They thought that having a certain sized item in your inventory should show up. Note that this is in your inventory, not with items held. All I'm trying to day is your shouldn't compare them by saying if there's one, then there should be the other. As that is not how the code is currently functioning.

Quote from: bcw81 on July 17, 2010, 08:48:40 PM

If the person was HOLDing (ES/Hold) it, sure, but if the person is WIELDing (EP/ETWO) it then I'd defiantly notice it.

This suggests that one can't simply hold an item in their primary hand. Which is silly. I more often hold items in my primary hand, then my secondary. Do you consider anyone carrying a bottle in their primary hand to be wielding a weapon? After all they could break it and use it as a knife...

What about the person holding a chitin blade in their primary hand so they can cut their steak and eat it? Should you be immediately aware of this?

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on July 17, 2010, 09:23:35 PM
What about the person holding a chitin blade in their primary hand so they can cut their steak and eat it? Should you be immediately aware of this?

Yes. They're -armed-.

July 17, 2010, 11:10:17 PM #17 Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 04:23:35 PM by Vanth
Quote from: Blackisback on July 17, 2010, 08:08:04 PM

Because the one can't be determined by the use of the 'look' command while the other can.
Nyr: newbs killing newbs
Nyr: hot newb on newb violence
Ath: Mmmmmm, HOT!

July 18, 2010, 01:19:45 AM #18 Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 03:39:25 AM by RogueGunslinger
Quote from: Blackisback on July 17, 2010, 10:45:09 PM

Yes. They're -armed-.

I don't know what world you live in, where people have the innate "spider-sense" to know what everyone in the room packed full of people is holding, without looking at them.

Edit: Sorry for the snarkiness, I suppose this post could easily be considered argumentative, and that's not what I was going for. Just trying to point it out that there's some things I believe people shouldn't realistically be aware of without having to look at you.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on July 18, 2010, 01:19:45 AM
Quote from: Blackisback on July 17, 2010, 10:45:09 PM

Yes. They're -armed-.

I don't know what world you live in.

ZALANTHAS

invalidates ability to sneakily draw a blade dont it? I'm against.

Quote from: Dar on July 18, 2010, 01:54:21 AM

Having played a stealthy class, I don't think so. I could be wrong..
Quote from: Nyr>mount corpse

Apt.

Why not just make the command echo for larger weapons then? I can see not noticing a steak knife or a dagger, but a longsword or battleaxe? Then again, there is always the time when you're showing off your new weapon, holding it out with on hand on the blade or some such, but you need to draw it first.

Devils advocate powers go!

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

How about if the weapon you're wielding is large enough to show up to others if it's in your inventory, then it shows up like this:

The short, hairless dwarf is here.
- she is wielding a two-handed bone greatsword in both hands.

It's safe to say that anything less would be concealable in some way.

Quote from: bcw81 on July 18, 2010, 02:26:42 AM
Why not just make the command echo for larger weapons then? I can see not noticing a steak knife or a dagger, but a longsword or battleaxe? Then again, there is always the time when you're showing off your new weapon, holding it out with on hand on the blade or some such, but you need to draw it first.

Devils advocate powers go!

This makes sense.