Subguild: Scavenger removal

Started by janeshephard, June 19, 2010, 07:39:38 PM

June 19, 2010, 07:39:38 PM Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 07:42:08 PM by janeshephard
OK.

So the most recent update to the scavenger subguild helpfile clearly states they can forage for food, climb, and search for hidden exits. I'd like to propose climb be moved to a new subguild or simply be left to the acrobat subguild.

Forage food and "search" be given to all players. Here's my reasoning:

It's not impossible to grab ants off the ground, or poke the walls for a secret exit. It shouldn't take any kind of special talent. I can't see why. I'll leave this up to discussion and hopefully staff review.

My hope is starting this thread is not a bad thing.
Quote from: Morrolan on July 16, 2013, 01:43:41 AM
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

I don't normally add in a response just to agree, but I can see this being a good idea.  It always mystified me that Search was such a rare skill to have.  That said, foraging for food seems like it would at least be possible, if not difficult, for anyone to do.
Proud Owner of her Very Own Delirium.

I'm actually...kind of...inclined to agree, but my reluctance comes from these things, which could bear some thought, or immediate dispelling if they're just silly.

1.  The reason I don't think search is an 'easily had' skill is because a lot of hidden exits are the only true defense against others.  If everyone can find them all the time, they become utterly ineffective, and really...not even a barrier at all.  They go from something that you need to get more information on and deal with to something that just makes you use an annoying skill.  So, it's not that I disagree, but I do think search being a bit more rare of a skill actually does fit in with the equilibrium of the game, as is.  (i.e. Giving everyone search will result in some changes having to be made elsewhere, since hidden exits will, in essence, become redundant.)

2.  Same kind of effect with forage food.  Right now, if you are a non-ranger planning on foraging for food, then you are automatically pulled to this subguild as a capability.  This is the subguild that makes it so that non-rangers can have some additional food-gathering ability outside the city.  This is, in actuality, one of the things that makes rangers special, and a coded benefit that shows the IC difference...rangers are generally not 'trained', but 'knowledgeable' in some of the little nuances of the wilderness that make them adapted to being there.  They can pick out spots where digging would be good, for tubers, or which things are safe and not safe.  Giving that ability to everyone is akin to saying that everyone should be able to branch advanced weapon skills that Warriors do.  There can always be logic pointed at saying this, but not everything is just about what's logical and what isn't.  It also has to enhance the gameplay, or the effect of something within the game.  So this one, I'm a lot more hesitant to agree with.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Rather than making those two abilities available to everyone, I'd rather just see search distributed to a few more guilds, perhaps made branchable off of scan or hunt or something.

I'm not too concerned about search making hidden entrances obsolete, because if you've worked with the skill for any length of time, you'll know how tricky it still is to find said entrances. Even if you have the search skill and you've got it at a decent skill level, you still have to know there's something to look for and there's still a chance you'll never find it. (Hoping I kept this vague enough, staff can feel free to edit it if it's too code mechanic-y.)

In regards to foraging for food, I'm less inclined to agree, although I can think of a couple other subguilds that could realistically have it added to their repertoire. I'd rather see food foraging remain in the realm of those with considerable wilderness knowledge, because I think it takes a decent amount of wilderness knowledge to accomplish.
Quote from: Oryxin a land...where nothing is as it seems
lol
wait wait
in a harsh desert..wait
in a world...where everything's out to kill you
one man (or woman) stands sort of alone
only not really
lol
KURAC

I'd like to see search show up on a ranger skill list just because the guild that gets search typically doesn't spend too much time in the wilderness.

I'm all for keeping the ability to search for food as a ranger only ability.  Knowing where to find and what to eat that won't poison you is the biggest determining factor into what makes someone a man/woman of the land.  If this becomes available to everybody Eustace Conway will lose his shit and leave turtle island to throw down all over ginka.

I think scavenger is a cool guild, I was kind of wishing they were going to get direction sense but then glad they didn't because they would be too ranger.  I've made a bunch of subguild scavengers, they round out a few of the other classes quite nicely, especially if playing solo, which I usually do.

"They are also quick to find items and have a shrewd eye towards their possible worth."

Remember that the ability to foraging for food was added to the Scavenger guild some point back. That it certainly not entire point of the guild. You are severely underestimating the subguild. One of my favorites.

Though I agree with you that the Search/Secret Entrance system is kind of annoying, it doesn't have a whole lot to do with subguild_scavenger.

Blegh, it's fine.  Leave it the way it is.

Scavenger is a great subguild, now that it has forage_food capability.  (Not sure when it was added, but it wasn't always like that.)

Assuming everyone knows what kinds of plants and insects are edible (what giving everyone food_forage implies) is silly.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

I discovered "forage food" for scavengers by accident and Nyr was nice enough to update the helpfile when I asked him recently. I too have no idea when it was added but I imagine well before I started playing.
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

Sxav is my third most used sub, I like it the way it is as well.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Forage food for scavengers was added recently.

I disagree with the goal of this thread.

Sure, you could grab ants off the ground and eat them, but have you ever tasted a handful of these? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pissant

Sure, you could grab and eat a plant you find on the side of the path, but have you ever enjoyed the foliage and vines of a tomato? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomato#Plant_toxicity

Sure, I could go on, but it is likely to cause paranoia.
Quote from: Cutthroat on September 30, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
> forage artifacts

You find a rusty, armed landmine and pick it up.

Forage food: It's not about finding food lying on or under the ground... it's about knowing which things you find on or under the ground will kill you if you eat it.

If everyone got forage food back, I would want to see a lot of new poisonous food foragable that you would have to learn ICly (yes, by sickness or permadeath).

Search:  I would like to see search expanded, but not given to everyone.  Maybe add it to hunter, but that's about it.
            I do strongly dislike that one particular guild (to the bet of my knowledge doesn't get search, but that's another topic and too IC to go into on the GDB since it is a main guild issue.

Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Slashes janeshepard on her head, inflicting a grevious wound
No!

Armaddict has hit the nail on the head with the search skill.  Not only does it make certain hidden exits/room less safe, unique to find, and less known, but it relinquishes the need to require someone -with- the skill to scrounge for them.
Just like you would need to hire Beefy McWarrior to take on a Mek, you would need to hire someone with the search skill to find hidden rooms for you.
I don't want that to disappear because everyone and their mom has the search skill.  It reduces player involvement.

It's supposed to be something not everyone and their mom -can- do, and I'd like it kept that way.  And I'm sure there's an art to it that keeps it from being added to everyone just like there's an art to disarm/bash that keeps it from being added to everyone.

But as for forage food... I don't really care about that one.  If anything, spread it out to nomad and possibly hunter.

Give search to ranger class, give everyone forage food, add a shitload of poisonous new foods, give rangers an ability to identify poisoned foods. (If the above said doesn't exist)
Two dwarves get into a small fist-fray over who owns a pile of dung at the roadside.

You think:
     "Get your shit together"

Throwing it out there, but what about having search branch from hide or sneak? Surely they'd learn to spot secrets what with all the time they spend hugging walls. Ampere seems to agree with me on tinychat.
"Brain wave, main wave"
Psycho got a high kick
Collect and select
Show me your best set

Quote from: Reiteration on June 20, 2010, 12:28:20 AM
Throwing it out there, but what about having search branch from hide or sneak? Surely they'd learn to spot secrets what with all the time they spend hugging walls. Ampere seems to agree with me on tinychat.

imo Scan, but obvious reasons can't do that, so hide/sneak i wouldn't mind
Two dwarves get into a small fist-fray over who owns a pile of dung at the roadside.

You think:
     "Get your shit together"

I use scavenger on a bunch of my fringe characters, I like it the way it is.

If -everyone- can find food, survival becomes WAY easier. And I'm not a fan of flooding skills to everyone that other characters can make a decent living on. It would also weaken the benefits clans give to their players.

"Oh, you brought all this food you found in the wastes to sell? Thats cool, bro, but I just have to go forage a bit outside the gate for all the food I need."

I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

I think it's fine the way it currently is.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

I'd say forage food is to do with knowledge and lifestyle. You might choke on poison ants and die if you didn't know what you were doing.

Aside from that, I always saw 'forage food' as something particularly skillful. Go search on youtube for Australian Aborigines foraging for food. Anyone who hasn't got their specific knowledge would starve to death out there.

Quote from: Gobbleneck on June 19, 2010, 11:42:15 PM
Slashes janeshepard on her head, inflicting a grevious wound

janeshephard reels from the blow!

Quote from: Delstro on June 19, 2010, 11:20:58 PM

Actually, no it wasn't. Scavengers have been able to forage food for a long time. It was just never mentioned in the help files and the people who did know about it, weren't telling, because it was one of those "psst I know a secret" code quirks. Sort of like how a particular shop used to pay really stupid amounts of money for a particular silk dress, even though that shop typically only sells sandcloth desert gear.

The fact that forage food is available to scavengers, was recently added to the help file. The fact that they could do it, is not recent at all.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

More like "Psst, don't tell anyone, because staff might take it away!"

Quote from: Lizzie on June 20, 2010, 08:40:52 AMSort of like how a particular shop used to pay really stupid amounts of money for a particular silk dress, even though that shop typically only sells sandcloth desert gear.

Bug reports are a good way to deal with this kind of economy "secret".
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

Quote from: flurry on June 20, 2010, 09:03:06 AM
Quote from: Lizzie on June 20, 2010, 08:40:52 AMSort of like how a particular shop used to pay really stupid amounts of money for a particular silk dress, even though that shop typically only sells sandcloth desert gear.

Bug reports are a good way to deal with this kind of economy "secret".

The problems with that statement:

1. You have to know the secret.
2. You have to know that it IS a secret.
3. You have to know that the secret is a bug, and not merely an unknown feature (such as the fact that scavengers can forage for food).
4. You have to then actually bug rep it.
5. The staff has to then recognize that the bug is, in fact, a bug.
6. The staff then has to fix the bug.

If any of these 6 things don't occur, then no, bugrepping it is not a good way to deal with it. Bugrepping becomes a really bad, stupid, wasteful, and pointless way of dealing with it.

Quote from: Lizzie on June 20, 2010, 08:40:52 AM
Quote from: Delstro on June 19, 2010, 11:20:58 PM

Actually, no it wasn't. Scavengers have been able to forage food for a long time. It was just never mentioned in the help files and the people who did know about it, weren't telling, because it was one of those "psst I know a secret" code quirks. Sort of like how a particular shop used to pay really stupid amounts of money for a particular silk dress, even though that shop typically only sells sandcloth desert gear.

The fact that forage food is available to scavengers, was recently added to the help file. The fact that they could do it, is not recent at all.

Didn't know about the dress thing, but yes, every scavenger I've played has had it, some nearly a year before the change in the helpfile. In fact, when the helpfile discussion came up, I was one of the (I'm sure there were more) people who actually sent in about it, because it WAS a secret. I asked staff and was told they didn't, but asked helpers and was told they did, and even the staff went in and tested it before changing the helpfile because they didn't know. But yes, it was already in place.

To add to the discussion: I'd like to see food foraging added to hunter and nomad, and perhaps have that one, ridiculous and half there crafting skill that nomads have, be taken away in it's place. While I, personally, think that giving out food foraging to everyone is logical and makes sense, I know that everyone else is going to be up in arms about it and consider it a balance issue. W/e, I'll just play a buttload of whatever subguilds have it. And if that limits my character options, so be it.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

June 20, 2010, 11:06:00 AM #24 Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 11:11:36 AM by flurry
Quote from: Lizzie on June 20, 2010, 10:06:51 AM
The problems with that statement:

1. You have to know the secret.
2. You have to know that it IS a secret.
3. You have to know that the secret is a bug, and not merely an unknown feature (such as the fact that scavengers can forage for food).
4. You have to then actually bug rep it.
5. The staff has to then recognize that the bug is, in fact, a bug.
6. The staff then has to fix the bug.

If any of these 6 things don't occur, then no, bugrepping it is not a good way to deal with it. Bugrepping becomes a really bad, stupid, wasteful, and pointless way of dealing with it.

You're making it more complicated than it really is. If you suspect a bug (you don't need to be certain and it doesn't need to be a secret), you can report it relatively easily. It may or may not get fixed as a result.

For example, the other day I noticed a shop selling a particular arrow for a price that was, in my opinion, beyond ridiculous.  It took about fifteen seconds to report it.

On-topic: I like scavenger as-is, although I generally don't like the idea of ranger perks being made available through subguilds. In this case, I think it makes perfect sense.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

Yes Flurry, but if the arrow remains at that price for the next 8 months, you will eventually come to some possible conclusions, and most of them will be wrong.

Back on topic: I'm glad scavenger has forage food, and all the other things it has. It solves a lot of problems, and when I found out recently that it had forage food on it, I was pretty happy with using it to supplement my character's main-guild skills.

I like things how they are now. With ranger getting all the best awesome outdoorsy utility skills, Burglar getting the best awesome city-based utility skills, and scavenger to act as a rangerly, burglary boost to any main guild that someone feels could use a hybrid of utility skills.

Lizzie, you're making the error of assumption.  Just because you see something, you're assuming the worst and drawing conclusions from it instead of remaining open and having some amount of trust in the staff.  Just report things that look wrong.  The staff will deal with it.  Let it go.  :)
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Getting back on track-- I don't see a reason or need to do away with the Scavenger sugbuild -or- giving more skills to everybody.

I think everybody should have a chance to find food in the wilderness.  (10%)
I think some classes/subclasses should have a better chance than others.

I think everybody should have the ability to locate secret exits.  (10%)
I think some classes/subclasses should have a better chance than others.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

I actually pick the Scavenger Sub Guild very often, so that I can get forage food, search and climb - all 3 skills that are super useful when your PC tends to be a loner.

And, I like to be able to forage food and search for hidden exits, when others around me can't, coz they picked some other sub-guild.

I'd vote to keep Scavenger as it is right now.
The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish, 'Winrothol Tor Fale?'

I want scavenger to stay the same too. I mean.. Search, climb bargaining skills, AND forage food? What's not to like?  ;)

I like this guild, drop what i said last time just remember'd i didn't choose that subguild.
Someone punches a dead mantis in it's dead face.

Scavenger is definitely one of my top 3 subs, I like it the way it is.

I dislike the idea of foraging food become any more common than it, it's some impressive shit to be able to walk into some part of the world and tell what plants most likely hold water, what bugs won't kill you, what plants aren't poisonous. I've seen Into the Wild damnit!

Search I feel the same way, it's a rare skill, I like the hidey holes being found is a rare thing. Them being common steals away their purpose.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Don't fix something that is not broken. The scavenger subguild is a very useful one and should be left as is.

To be honest. I think secret exits should turn invisible for everyone, unless they've been searched and found earlier. After which they remain visible for some amount of time, or untill reboot. I never understood people who dont have search, knowing all of these secret doors.

Quote from: Dar on June 25, 2010, 12:30:27 AM
To be honest. I think secret exits should turn invisible for everyone, unless they've been searched and found earlier. After which they remain visible for some amount of time, or untill reboot. I never understood people who dont have search, knowing all of these secret doors.

My characters only know of them if they've been told or if they find it themselves. You'd be surprised at how often people reveal these things to each other.

There is nothing particularly mystifying about searching for exits, climbing or foraging for very basic foodstuffs.  And, this is Zalanthas...common folks are supposed to be more hearty, right?

I think it would be reasonable for forage and search to be added to most, if not all classes in a manner akin to the way all/most classes can not navigate sandstorms with varying success.  Some are better specialized than others, but all should have at least a modest chance of success with the right tools, skills, and patience.

If anything, I think it would be VERY interesting to add some skill bonuses in these abilities to all/most commoners but not nobles in reflection of an almost certainly harder life where climbing, searching, and grebbing for a morsel to eat can honestly mean the difference between life and death.

On another note, I don't think I've ever picked scavanger as a subclass.  I've noticed that the ones who frequently do pick scavanger as a sub are against this change.  Perhaps because such changes would result in a profileration of their such coveted skills, not unlike sandstorm navigation....  A lot of people were against that too, if I'm not mistaken, but that turned out alright.

Quote from: Sephiroto on June 27, 2010, 03:25:14 AM
There is nothing particularly mystifying about searching for exits, climbing or foraging for very basic foodstuffs.  And, this is Zalanthas...common folks are supposed to be more hearty, right?

I think it would be reasonable for forage and search to be added to most, if not all classes in a manner akin to the way all/most classes can not navigate sandstorms with varying success.  Some are better specialized than others, but all should have at least a modest chance of success with the right tools, skills, and patience.

If anything, I think it would be VERY interesting to add some skill bonuses in these abilities to all/most commoners but not nobles in reflection of an almost certainly harder life where climbing, searching, and grebbing for a morsel to eat can honestly mean the difference between life and death.

On another note, I don't think I've ever picked scavanger as a subclass.  I've noticed that the ones who frequently do pick scavanger as a sub are against this change.  Perhaps because such changes would result in a profileration of their such coveted skills, not unlike sandstorm navigation....  A lot of people were against that too, if I'm not mistaken, but that turned out alright.

Good points. I'd like to see them overall as well. Then I could make more nomads. :) I play scavengers a lot, but it's typically for climb and food foraging. I've noticed that a good deal of the time you can 'l <direction>' and get 'the <door name> is closed', when it comes to things like that and search.

Just sayin'.
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

If subguild scavenger was removed and their skills given to most classes I too would roll other subguilds more often.

I know this is way off base from what we have now, but I would have rather, instead of having grouped up subguilds, to have let players chose four to six skills to add to their main guild with a points system where some skills would cost more points than others.

You have 10 auxiliary skill points left, what skill would you like to chose next?
A.  Scan           2
B.  Listen          2
c.  Hide            3
D.  Sneak         3
E.  Pick            5
F.  Forage Food 2
G. Skinning      2
F. Basket Weaving 1
and so on.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on June 27, 2010, 10:31:52 AM
I know this is way off base from what we have now, but I would have rather, instead of having grouped up subguilds, to have let players chose four to six skills to add to their main guild with a points system where some skills would cost more points than others.

You have 10 auxiliary skill points left, what skill would you like to chose next?
A.  Scan           2
B.  Listen          2
c.  Hide            3
D.  Sneak         3
E.  Pick            5
F.  Forage Food 2
G. Skinning      2
F. Basket Weaving 1
and so on.

Best idea yet, I think.

QuoteI've noticed that a good deal of the time you can 'l <direction>' and get 'the <door name> is closed', when it comes to things like that and search.

For the record, if you do see that you should typo or bug it. Exits actually meant to be found with search can be seen no other way.

I've never taken scav for food foraging myself. I like the sub for the skills it gives and the caps. Which are all reasonable.

Which is why I don't want to see it go away.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

I've never had search turn up an exit I couldn't do that with other than a single time. I thought it was intended to work that way.

:D  Nope, I mean sure, some might be intended to work that way, but I'd still bug/typo them.

There are a large number of search only exits though.
Lizzie:

Fine as it is.
どんと来い、生活の悪循環!!1!11
Quote from: Yam on March 18, 2011, 09:57:04 AM
There's really nothing wrong with a pretty boy in a dress.

Keep scavenger the way it is. Spread the 'Search' skill out a tad bit. Leave the ability to 'forage_food' to those who already have them.

My 2 cents.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

I'd kill for a subguild with 'direction_sense' and 'climb.'  Subguild explorer?

I'd like to see one with 'direction sense', 'climb', and the ability to forage food. Even if it meant dropping the fourth skill, I would play the shit out of that subguild, all the time.

I've already suggested that scavenger should get direction sense, since they're supposed to be "skilled at surviving in the wilds."
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on July 03, 2010, 07:26:51 AM
I've already suggested that scavenger should get direction sense, since they're supposed to be "skilled at surviving in the wilds."

Same. Most of what I meant there was that if it would be considered 'overpowered' with that and search both, I'd gladly be rid of search. But then, that's just me personally.

Quote from: AmandaGreathouse on July 03, 2010, 07:49:50 AM
Quote from: Synthesis on July 03, 2010, 07:26:51 AM

Same. Most of what I meant there was that if it would be considered 'overpowered' with that and search both, I'd gladly be rid of search. But then, that's just me personally.

Don't get rid of search. It's a really cool skill for a waste explorer.

Guilds and subguilds are all about making choices, weighing costs and benefits, sacrificing one skill because another is more important for this character.  We could just make every character the same, or allow anyone to learn any skill, but then everyone would have food forage, and everyone would have backstab, and everyone would have pick, and everyone would have hunt, and so on.  But we don't do that.  You have to decide what your character's kryptonite is.
Nyr: newbs killing newbs
Nyr: hot newb on newb violence
Ath: Mmmmmm, HOT!

July 03, 2010, 11:39:08 AM #52 Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 11:42:56 AM by Akoto
I like it that way, personally. The fact that you have things you can do and can't do, differing entirely from the guy one seat over, makes for an interesting mix. Those limitations keep me coming back.

When I've played on games where characters can learn anything they want, it has pretty much been as Vanth describes. People develop 'templates' of the most effective skill combinations, and soon enough, everybody's a clone.

That said, I like scavenger a lot in its present form. It's my go-to subguild when nothing else fits, and more often on wilderness PCs.

Quote from: Vanth on July 03, 2010, 11:30:02 AM
Guilds and subguilds are all about making choices, weighing costs and benefits, sacrificing one skill because another is more important for this character.  We could just make every character the same, or allow anyone to learn any skill, but then everyone would have food forage, and everyone would have backstab, and everyone would have pick, and everyone would have hunt, and so on.  But we don't do that.  You have to decide what your character's kryptonite is.

Exactly my primary reason why I like our class system or a class system in general. There are built in strengths and weaknesses to each guild and subguild choice.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

I've found I've enjoyed scavenger just as it is. I'm not anxious to see any changes.
Quote from: brytta.leofa on August 17, 2010, 07:55:28 PM
A glossy, black-shelled mantis says, in insectoid-accented sirihish,
  "You haven't picked enough cotton, friend."
Choose thy fate:

Quote from: jhunter on July 03, 2010, 11:55:48 AM
Quote from: Vanth on July 03, 2010, 11:30:02 AM

Exactly my primary reason why I like our class system or a class system in general. There are built in strengths and weaknesses to each guild and subguild choice.

The above is such a goo point, by Vanth, also why would a pc need to build bonds in a harsh world if they could do everything. there would be little need of Rp with others. If there is a short coming in your pc's abilities then find a buddy or two that have the qualities your pc sorely lacks.
Sometimes it seems that we players can be so short sighted of this simple element to the game. The fact that we can interact so easly with others, at least when it comes to our own pc's skill tree and capabilities.
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

Quote from: Potaje on July 11, 2010, 10:51:35 AM

The above is such a goo point, by Vanth, also why would a pc need to build bonds in a harsh world if they could do everything. there would be little need of Rp with others. If there is a short coming in your pc's abilities then find a buddy or two that have the qualities your pc sorely lacks.
Sometimes it seems that we players can be so short sighted of this simple element to the game. The fact that we can interact so easly with others, at least when it comes to our own pc's skill tree and capabilities.

We can't interact easily with others. This is a world full of conflict. Interaction is its own challenge IMHO.

In any case, the "choice" with scavenger is: I'll pick scavenger and be able to search for hidden exits OR I can pick one of the other subguilds. Clearly, this choice isn't sensible. Search should be like forage. Everyone gets a bit of that skill. What's so special about tapping on a wall to hear if it's a fake wall?

Yeah I think this whole thread was started to try and move Search and Forage Food to other classes/guilds, which as I've scoured through these forums, is a common plea.

As a n00b, I like the idea of the Scavenger class (read in an older post that it also gives bonuses to foraging artifacts.. dunno if that's true, but it's cool if it does).

The ONLY class I could see meriting the Search skill would be BURGLAR, as they inherently LOOK out for things that are out of place / other ways to get into things / strange hiding places.

Beyond that I think it's fine. Very tempted to make one just to explore this world even more.
Czar of City Elves.

If search and forage food are both given to any one single subguild, scavenger subguild becomes obsolete.  Period.  I'm not saying this should or shouldn't happen, but understand that this is true.

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I think forage food should remain where it is, if food was easy enough to obtain that anybody could pick it up, you'd be typing 'get <food>'.
"Brain wave, main wave"
Psycho got a high kick
Collect and select
Show me your best set

In any case, the "choice" with scavenger is: I'll pick scavenger and be able to search for hidden exits OR I can pick one of the other subguilds. Clearly, this choice isn't sensible. Search should be like forage. Everyone gets a bit of that skill. What's so special about tapping on a wall to hear if it's a fake wall?

[/quote]

There is a point, taping on a wall may find a hollow behind it, however search is more than I just look around, search is the ability to understand what your looking at, to know the nuances in how to look for that which is concealed, much like every class does not scan. Not only this but what does one look for once one realizes that there may be more to the wall than just stone, where to find the level, button, key hole, pressure plate. Perhaps even an understanding that the draft of air one feels comes from a crack, or this tapestry seems out of place. Not everyone, even if they search actively, is aware enough to discover these understandings. And so gives purpose to those that can.
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

Speak for yourselvs. I'm a psionisorcewarranglarpocket with armoweaposcaventailonomalinguiacroarcher as a subguild (:

Idn' that right Nyr?

However on a serious note the one time(or maybe more???) that I played scavenger I didn't exercise all of its abilities because I didn't pick it for those. But I agree with keeping it the same mainly because it has the skills it needs to fit its class type.

Although climbing might make sense to be given to that subclass, it already gets a -lot- of nice stuff as it is. It really does.

DSense just OP's it a lot. You might as well give it hunt, sneak, hide, brew and poison, bandaging, archery and make it a Ranger at that point.

Uh... scavenger already HAS climb.

From subguild scavenger helpfile:
QuoteSubguild Scavenger     (Character)

Scavengers, skilled in surviving the wilds, particularly ruins such as those of Tuluk, are able to find food where others might not. They are quick to find items and have a shrewd eye towards their possible worth. In order to find objects out of reach of others they have learned to find paths that aren't apparent to the casual observer, and go into caves, windows, and holes in the wall which require a short climb.

ALTHOUGH: I do wish that the first part of the helpfile was true as well. :| Might be lovely to have wilderness quit or storm nav, even if it meant forsaking other things in there. I would personally love to see a sub with:

QuoteSubguild Grebber     (Character)

Grebbers, skilled in surviving the wilds (desert nav), and are able to find food where others might not (food foraging). They are quick to find items (boosted forage) and have a in order to find objects out of reach of others they have  been known to poke around through ruins, salt flats, and go into caves, windows, and holes in the wall which require a short climb.

/subguild grebber.

Storm nav
food foraging
boost to overall forage
and climb.

Nah, better:
QuoteSubguild Survivalist     (Character)

Survivalists aren't any better at much than most people, but what they are pretty decent at is getting from one place to the next through the wastes.  They have a good sense of where they're going (direction sense) and can get past many obstacles (climb).  They can keep themselves fed too, having a knack for finding edible roots (food forage) and cleaning their kills (skinning).

Quote from: spawnloser on July 16, 2010, 03:04:58 PM
Nah, better:
QuoteSubguild Survivalist     (Character)

Survivalists aren't any better at much than most people, but what they are pretty decent at is getting from one place to the next through the wastes.  They have a good sense of where they're going (direction sense) and can get past many obstacles (climb).  They can keep themselves fed too, having a knack for finding edible roots (food forage) and cleaning their kills (skinning).

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

I would, literally, almost always play this sub when I wasn't looking for a side of crafting.

Nothing, IMO, fits in better with the harsh, extremely survival of the fittest setting, as much as... having the basic skills to survive.

Sometimes I can knock one out of the park, there, huh?

Quote from: spawnloser on July 16, 2010, 07:39:03 PM
Sometimes I can knock one out of the park, there, huh?

This time for sho!
Grebber - One who grebs.