Subguild: Scavenger removal

Started by janeshephard, June 19, 2010, 07:39:38 PM

Quote from: AmandaGreathouse on July 03, 2010, 07:49:50 AM
Quote from: Synthesis on July 03, 2010, 07:26:51 AM
I've already suggested that scavenger should get direction sense, since they're supposed to be "skilled at surviving in the wilds."

Same. Most of what I meant there was that if it would be considered 'overpowered' with that and search both, I'd gladly be rid of search. But then, that's just me personally.

Don't get rid of search. It's a really cool skill for a waste explorer.
Quote from: Morrolan on July 16, 2013, 01:43:41 AM
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

Guilds and subguilds are all about making choices, weighing costs and benefits, sacrificing one skill because another is more important for this character.  We could just make every character the same, or allow anyone to learn any skill, but then everyone would have food forage, and everyone would have backstab, and everyone would have pick, and everyone would have hunt, and so on.  But we don't do that.  You have to decide what your character's kryptonite is.
Nyr: newbs killing newbs
Nyr: hot newb on newb violence
Ath: Mmmmmm, HOT!

July 03, 2010, 11:39:08 AM #52 Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 11:42:56 AM by Akoto
I like it that way, personally. The fact that you have things you can do and can't do, differing entirely from the guy one seat over, makes for an interesting mix. Those limitations keep me coming back.

When I've played on games where characters can learn anything they want, it has pretty much been as Vanth describes. People develop 'templates' of the most effective skill combinations, and soon enough, everybody's a clone.

That said, I like scavenger a lot in its present form. It's my go-to subguild when nothing else fits, and more often on wilderness PCs.

Quote from: Vanth on July 03, 2010, 11:30:02 AM
Guilds and subguilds are all about making choices, weighing costs and benefits, sacrificing one skill because another is more important for this character.  We could just make every character the same, or allow anyone to learn any skill, but then everyone would have food forage, and everyone would have backstab, and everyone would have pick, and everyone would have hunt, and so on.  But we don't do that.  You have to decide what your character's kryptonite is.

Exactly my primary reason why I like our class system or a class system in general. There are built in strengths and weaknesses to each guild and subguild choice.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

I've found I've enjoyed scavenger just as it is. I'm not anxious to see any changes.
Quote from: brytta.leofa on August 17, 2010, 07:55:28 PM
A glossy, black-shelled mantis says, in insectoid-accented sirihish,
  "You haven't picked enough cotton, friend."
Choose thy fate:

Quote from: jhunter on July 03, 2010, 11:55:48 AM
Quote from: Vanth on July 03, 2010, 11:30:02 AM

Exactly my primary reason why I like our class system or a class system in general. There are built in strengths and weaknesses to each guild and subguild choice.

The above is such a goo point, by Vanth, also why would a pc need to build bonds in a harsh world if they could do everything. there would be little need of Rp with others. If there is a short coming in your pc's abilities then find a buddy or two that have the qualities your pc sorely lacks.
Sometimes it seems that we players can be so short sighted of this simple element to the game. The fact that we can interact so easly with others, at least when it comes to our own pc's skill tree and capabilities.
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

Quote from: Potaje on July 11, 2010, 10:51:35 AM

The above is such a goo point, by Vanth, also why would a pc need to build bonds in a harsh world if they could do everything. there would be little need of Rp with others. If there is a short coming in your pc's abilities then find a buddy or two that have the qualities your pc sorely lacks.
Sometimes it seems that we players can be so short sighted of this simple element to the game. The fact that we can interact so easly with others, at least when it comes to our own pc's skill tree and capabilities.

We can't interact easily with others. This is a world full of conflict. Interaction is its own challenge IMHO.

In any case, the "choice" with scavenger is: I'll pick scavenger and be able to search for hidden exits OR I can pick one of the other subguilds. Clearly, this choice isn't sensible. Search should be like forage. Everyone gets a bit of that skill. What's so special about tapping on a wall to hear if it's a fake wall?

Quote from: Morrolan on July 16, 2013, 01:43:41 AM
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

Yeah I think this whole thread was started to try and move Search and Forage Food to other classes/guilds, which as I've scoured through these forums, is a common plea.

As a n00b, I like the idea of the Scavenger class (read in an older post that it also gives bonuses to foraging artifacts.. dunno if that's true, but it's cool if it does).

The ONLY class I could see meriting the Search skill would be BURGLAR, as they inherently LOOK out for things that are out of place / other ways to get into things / strange hiding places.

Beyond that I think it's fine. Very tempted to make one just to explore this world even more.
Czar of City Elves.

If search and forage food are both given to any one single subguild, scavenger subguild becomes obsolete.  Period.  I'm not saying this should or shouldn't happen, but understand that this is true.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I think forage food should remain where it is, if food was easy enough to obtain that anybody could pick it up, you'd be typing 'get <food>'.
"Brain wave, main wave"
Psycho got a high kick
Collect and select
Show me your best set

In any case, the "choice" with scavenger is: I'll pick scavenger and be able to search for hidden exits OR I can pick one of the other subguilds. Clearly, this choice isn't sensible. Search should be like forage. Everyone gets a bit of that skill. What's so special about tapping on a wall to hear if it's a fake wall?

[/quote]

There is a point, taping on a wall may find a hollow behind it, however search is more than I just look around, search is the ability to understand what your looking at, to know the nuances in how to look for that which is concealed, much like every class does not scan. Not only this but what does one look for once one realizes that there may be more to the wall than just stone, where to find the level, button, key hole, pressure plate. Perhaps even an understanding that the draft of air one feels comes from a crack, or this tapestry seems out of place. Not everyone, even if they search actively, is aware enough to discover these understandings. And so gives purpose to those that can.
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

Speak for yourselvs. I'm a psionisorcewarranglarpocket with armoweaposcaventailonomalinguiacroarcher as a subguild (:

Idn' that right Nyr?

However on a serious note the one time(or maybe more???) that I played scavenger I didn't exercise all of its abilities because I didn't pick it for those. But I agree with keeping it the same mainly because it has the skills it needs to fit its class type.

Although climbing might make sense to be given to that subclass, it already gets a -lot- of nice stuff as it is. It really does.

DSense just OP's it a lot. You might as well give it hunt, sneak, hide, brew and poison, bandaging, archery and make it a Ranger at that point.

Uh... scavenger already HAS climb.

From subguild scavenger helpfile:
QuoteSubguild Scavenger     (Character)

Scavengers, skilled in surviving the wilds, particularly ruins such as those of Tuluk, are able to find food where others might not. They are quick to find items and have a shrewd eye towards their possible worth. In order to find objects out of reach of others they have learned to find paths that aren't apparent to the casual observer, and go into caves, windows, and holes in the wall which require a short climb.

ALTHOUGH: I do wish that the first part of the helpfile was true as well. :| Might be lovely to have wilderness quit or storm nav, even if it meant forsaking other things in there. I would personally love to see a sub with:

QuoteSubguild Grebber     (Character)

Grebbers, skilled in surviving the wilds (desert nav), and are able to find food where others might not (food foraging). They are quick to find items (boosted forage) and have a in order to find objects out of reach of others they have  been known to poke around through ruins, salt flats, and go into caves, windows, and holes in the wall which require a short climb.

/subguild grebber.

Storm nav
food foraging
boost to overall forage
and climb.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Nah, better:
QuoteSubguild Survivalist     (Character)

Survivalists aren't any better at much than most people, but what they are pretty decent at is getting from one place to the next through the wastes.  They have a good sense of where they're going (direction sense) and can get past many obstacles (climb).  They can keep themselves fed too, having a knack for finding edible roots (food forage) and cleaning their kills (skinning).

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: spawnloser on July 16, 2010, 03:04:58 PM
Nah, better:
QuoteSubguild Survivalist     (Character)

Survivalists aren't any better at much than most people, but what they are pretty decent at is getting from one place to the next through the wastes.  They have a good sense of where they're going (direction sense) and can get past many obstacles (climb).  They can keep themselves fed too, having a knack for finding edible roots (food forage) and cleaning their kills (skinning).

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

I would, literally, almost always play this sub when I wasn't looking for a side of crafting.

Nothing, IMO, fits in better with the harsh, extremely survival of the fittest setting, as much as... having the basic skills to survive.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Sometimes I can knock one out of the park, there, huh?

Quote from: spawnloser on July 16, 2010, 07:39:03 PM
Sometimes I can knock one out of the park, there, huh?

This time for sho!
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.