nosave heal

Started by Titania, June 01, 2010, 04:30:01 PM

Maybe they should add this so you don't heal up if you don't want to,to show you are a little wounded for some time for rp purposes?

I really like this idea, plenty of times IG where I've wanted to be injured for some while but my pc's endurance made getting stabbed half to death look like stepping on a tack.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Good rp tool. I like it.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

I cannot count how many times I have wanted this without knowing I wanted it.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

On a related topic, whats really needed is a more realistic wound/injury code, as in other similar games. So you can do away with hp and instead see the actual injuries stack up and slowly recover on their own.
Rorschach: "None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with *ME*!"

Quote from: creepyguy on June 01, 2010, 05:08:51 PM
On a related topic, whats really needed is a more realistic wound/injury code, as in other similar games. So you can do away with hp and instead see the actual injuries stack up and slowly recover on their own.

This has been discussed in several threads in the past. There are some of us who prefer hp systems. My opinion will always be against non-hp systems.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

+1. Nosave heal would be an awesome, useful, and much-used addition, I think.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Quote from: creepyguy on June 01, 2010, 05:08:51 PM

I believe something like this will be in Arm2. Perhaps not exactly what you ask, perhaps exactly like it. But something that's not how it is in Arm1 and closer to what you mentioned here.

Very clear I am.

how is this superior to change ldesc and whatever that new command is that lets you append something to your mdesc?

i don't want to see any more fools "bleeding everywhere" when they're really just bruised. (in other words, the coded descriptions for low HP are all awful/misleading and I don't want to see them anymore than I have to.)

Have to agree there.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

This would ultimately make bandaging much easier to improve. 

> psi Hang on!  Ah, I'll be there in three hours.  Try not to stop bleeding.

On the other hand, making bandage easier to improve might not be a bad thing ...

> say (dropping everything) Oh my krath!  I think you're exactly in the middle 5 percent range that I can attempt to heal!  Let me just get this bandage out before you heal a tick and ... sigh.  Nevermind.

Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

Quote from: Agent_137 on June 01, 2010, 07:49:58 PM
how is this superior to change ldesc and whatever that new command is that lets you append something to your mdesc?

i don't want to see any more fools "bleeding everywhere" when they're really just bruised. (in other words, the coded descriptions for low HP are all awful/misleading and I don't want to see them anymore than I have to.)

How are they misleading? If you get a lot of blunt force trauma, it's -very- possible to be bleeding QUITE heavily. Visibly? Maybe not. Maybe so. Did the blow break through the skin? Probably. Damage muscle and blood vessels? Most likely. I fail to see how it's misleading except in certain very strange circumstances.

There are times when the spice wears out, and your HPs drop as a result. But you're not bleeding AT ALL - even though it shows you are. There are times when you are extremely thirsty, and lose HPs as a result. You're not bleeding. There are other situations in which your current HPs will be lower than your max HPs, though you suffer no injury at all. In fact there are times when your max HPs will go up, which means your current HPs are lower for a short while, until they catch up, and during that time, it'll indicate that you're bleeding. Even though you're not. If you are suffering effects of certain poisons, your HPs will drop, even though you're not bleeding - but the code will indicate that you are.

The "bleeding" code is directly related to HP (hit point) loss and is a carry-over from the old DIKU code. It doesn't necessarily mean you're bleeding. It means only that you are suffering physically, in some manner that is causing your HPs to be lower than their usual max. Often when you see someone is bleeding, they haven't even been injured. They're merely displaying the effects of something.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Lizzie on June 01, 2010, 08:32:14 PM
There are times when the spice wears out, and your HPs drop as a result. But you're not bleeding AT ALL - even though it shows you are. There are times when you are extremely thirsty, and lose HPs as a result. You're not bleeding. There are other situations in which your current HPs will be lower than your max HPs, though you suffer no injury at all. In fact there are times when your max HPs will go up, which means your current HPs are lower for a short while, until they catch up, and during that time, it'll indicate that you're bleeding. Even though you're not. If you are suffering effects of certain poisons, your HPs will drop, even though you're not bleeding - but the code will indicate that you are.

The "bleeding" code is directly related to HP (hit point) loss and is a carry-over from the old DIKU code. It doesn't necessarily mean you're bleeding. It means only that you are suffering physically, in some manner that is causing your HPs to be lower than their usual max. Often when you see someone is bleeding, they haven't even been injured. They're merely displaying the effects of something.

Stroke from dehydration? Popped blood vessel?

But yeah, I get that. Still, majority of the time, dude's bleeding for a good reason.

When I started reading this thread I was really into the idea, then there was some good reasoning for not having it a little later on.

The way I see it, the people who would use it for RP are probably already using tdescs and emoting out that they're injured. You'd have to be a real ass to look at someone who's roleplaying being hurt and say "But you're in excellent condition." I still like the idea, but the whole bandage abuse thing wouldn't be good.

Unless the bandager is very skilled, it wouldn't even be practical and certainly not optimal to "abuse" the bandage skill the way you are suggesting.  And at that point it is pretty much a moot.

I think this would be good.  I think it would also be nice if after awhile (perhaps a timer attached based on number of hps left to heal) with this on, you stop having the bleeding ldesc, despite having a condition that is not at full health.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

Quote from: Twilight on June 03, 2010, 11:18:03 PM
Unless the bandager is very skilled, it wouldn't even be practical and certainly not optimal to "abuse" the bandage skill the way you are suggesting.  And at that point it is pretty much a moot.

What this dude said.

Quote from: Spoon on June 03, 2010, 05:24:41 PM
You'd have to be a real ass to look at someone who's roleplaying being hurt and say "But you're in excellent condition."

This has actually happened to me, and it's resulted in people thinking my PCs were faking being injured because their HP had recovered, haha. It's not a huge IC deal and there's ways to react to it, but simply not having to deal with that sorta situation would be nice.

Thumbs up!
Quote from: Oryxin a land...where nothing is as it seems
lol
wait wait
in a harsh desert..wait
in a world...where everything's out to kill you
one man (or woman) stands sort of alone
only not really
lol
KURAC

This is why they should get rid of that stupid bleeding code and replace it with simple condition code you see in your stats..

The tall man is here, in poor condition.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on June 04, 2010, 04:21:38 PM
This is why they should get rid of that stupid bleeding code and replace it with simple condition code you see in your stats..

"Don't take life too seriously, nobody ever makes it out alive anyway."

Quote from: Spice Spice Baby on June 04, 2010, 06:14:19 AM
Quote from: Twilight on June 03, 2010, 11:18:03 PM
What this dude said.

If there's one kind of twink I hate above all, its those healer twinks.  ;D I Love this idea!!!

+1
He said, "I don't fly coach, never save the roach."

Maybe rework the code so that (if it doesn't already do this) when you're bandaged, it cuts out that bleeding crap.
"The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead."
-Albert Einstein

Win.
Quote from: Morrolan on July 16, 2013, 01:43:41 AM
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

Quote from: janeshephard on June 18, 2010, 09:20:44 AM

Win.

Double wyn?
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.