Red Storm question

Started by creepyguy, May 19, 2010, 03:29:31 PM

Hey there, it's been a LONG time since I created a char, so before I do, I just wanted to know if Red Storm is a starting location choice in chargen?
I'd hate to write up a char as having been from RS and then have to start in Nak.
Thanks
Rorschach: "None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with *ME*!"

Yes it is sir.
Someone punches a dead mantis in it's dead face.

It is a starting location. Might not be a huge amount of people playing there but there's usually a few around.
You can't trust any bugger further than you can throw him, and there's nothing you can do about it, so let's have a drink" Dydactylos' philosophical mix of the Cynics, the Stoics and the Epicureans (Small Gods, Terry Pratchett)

Cool, thanks.
Off topic, but after searching, I am SO glad to see they added attribute prioritization finally. That was one of my biggest irks when I used to play, describing a char as muscular and rolling poor str and so on.
Rorschach: "None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with *ME*!"

Yeah its awesome. Also added Skill thingy to see where your skills are at. That is awesome too.

Be sure to check out reroll self and reroll undo.
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

Yeah, you definitely want to be paying attention to room descriptions in that area. The Silt Sea isn't the only geographic hazard in Vrun Driath these days...

Man, I can't believe y'all ruined the skill surprise for him.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Oh I logged in with my old char (he's 79 now and probably described as young) and saw skill descriptors but didn't think it was something new, I'm used to it from the other RPIs I've played recently.

To save you possible frustration... Red Storm is probably the hardest, and possibly most boring location to start in. Surviving there will be very difficult, and so will trying to get away from there without dying. I very highly recommend starting in Allanak or Tuluk.

I have no doubt Creepy can handle the Storm.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

May 20, 2010, 11:29:00 AM #12 Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 11:30:45 AM by Agent_137
Quote from: Akaramu on May 19, 2010, 08:18:48 PM
To save you possible frustration... Red Storm is probably the hardest, and possibly most boring location to start in. Surviving there will be very difficult, and so will trying to get away from there without dying. I very highly recommend starting in Allanak or Tuluk.

you're right, but he's not a noob he's just out of practice. storm is better than it ever was as far as population goes. AND it's also hands down the coolest place to start a character. I'm pretty sure you get an achievement for just starting a character there.

Thanks for the vote of confidence guys. I'm excited to jump in, hopefully i'll have my char retired and a new one approved by the weekend when I have time to play.

NUUUUUUUUUUUUUU NO START IN RED STORM! That Sandlord dude actually is a baby-eating monster!

Quote from: Akaramu on May 19, 2010, 08:18:48 PM
To save you possible frustration... Red Storm is probably the hardest, and possibly most boring location to start in.

I think you mean Luirs.

Especially during some playing times.

Oh yeah, Allanak and Tuluk. Cities are always best place for pc population rp.
Cinnamon, Sugar, And Softly Spoken Lies.

Quote from: Agent_137 on May 20, 2010, 11:29:00 AM
you're right, but he's not a noob he's just out of practice. storm is better than it ever was as far as population goes. AND it's also hands down the coolest place to start a character. I'm pretty sure you get an achievement for just starting a character there.

It's hard, frustrating and possibly boring for veterans too if you don't know exactly what subguild(s) allow you to survive there. I'm not a noob either, and I considered storing after I started a PC in RS. It was even fairly active, just... the activity wasn't helpful.  :P

Well. That sucks. When I played in Redstorm I had plenty to do, never got bored. Just gotta know what to do and when to do it and how to do it.
All places have there bit of fun.

Red Storm and the area about it--they embody what Armageddon is: harsh, sandy, stormy, beasts that can eat you in two bites or less... dry, desolate, dangerous, a places where addiction may just be your only salvation... brutal, savage, unforgiving, and where stealing that scrap of bread that can sustain your life will most likely cost it, if you fail... Redstorm Village... where a skin of water is worth more than the life you take to attain it.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

it's not about twinking out red storm with the right subguild. but it IS important to have storm navigation skills in a place called red STORM.

and now that you can do that with multiple subguilds, i'd say storm is much easier than it used to be, but still for hard-asses only

May 23, 2010, 08:23:38 AM #20 Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 08:25:26 AM by janeshephard
Red Storm == live free or die. That's why I like it.

EDIT: And I disagree about direction sense being a requirement. You don't need it. It's just VERY helpful to know someone who does. You can still manage on your own though.
Quote from: Morrolan on July 16, 2013, 01:43:41 AM
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.