New Request Tool Options: Clan Related Requests: The Discussion Thread

Started by Cutthroat, April 23, 2010, 03:16:52 PM

Quote from: Cutthroat on April 24, 2010, 01:35:29 PM
Really? I used this today and it was really easy. I checked "E-mail me a copy of this request" and got it with all the formatting I had used.

This.

I probably wouldn't have sent one in if the formatting hadn't gone in. But with the formatting, I think it's a really nice addition.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Quote from: X-D on April 24, 2010, 01:29:28 PM
So, I was checking my email today, thought, Huh, I really should file a report on something...Oh wait, I'd have to log into the request tool...Meh, log off and take a nap instead.

really? an additional 30 seconds (at most) worth of a step is too much work for something that would take you at least 5 minutes to do anyway? I mean, i understand if your report is just "killed this dude today," but somehow I doubt that.

Also, unfortunately, the login errors out on chrome and opera. It's related to the validation script. If i submitted more frequent reports, it would push it over into the "too much of a pain in the ass" zone for me since i only use chrome these days. (ie, firefox, and safari work fine.)

I like it. I havn't been able to get it to go to single spacing yet, but otherwise, it is nice.
Quote from: Cutthroat on September 30, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
> forage artifacts

You find a rusty, armed landmine and pick it up.

Quote from: Cutthroat on April 24, 2010, 01:35:29 PM
Really? I used this today and it was really easy. I checked "E-mail me a copy of this request" and got it with all the formatting I had used.

Quote from: Agent_137 on April 24, 2010, 02:49:01 PM
Also, unfortunately, the login errors out on chrome and opera. It's related to the validation script. If i submitted more frequent reports, it would push it over into the "too much of a pain in the ass" zone for me since i only use chrome these days. (ie, firefox, and safari work fine.)

I have fixed the Google Chrome issues with the validation script on the login page.  However, in testing the rest of the request process it appears that the formatting I have doesn't like Chrome either.  I'll see if I can fix this ASAP.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

The only really critical piece of feedback I have on this is the lack of the ability to CC other clan staff on the status of a character.

For example - lets say your are a a member of House A and you have gotten into some skirmishes with Elven Tribe B. The polite thing to do is to CC the Tribal clan admin in your mail. This is especially important when filing a report on a independent character, because likely if you have anything worth reporting it is to do with another clan and it would be polite to inform them.

Other then that. *shrug* seems fine.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

Quote from: jmordetsky on April 26, 2010, 01:20:08 PM
The only really critical piece of feedback I have on this is the lack of the ability to CC other clan staff on the status of a character.

For example - lets say your are a a member of House A and you have gotten into some skirmishes with Elven Tribe B. The polite thing to do is to CC the Tribal clan admin in your mail. This is especially important when filing a report on a independent character, because likely if you have anything worth reporting it is to do with another clan and it would be polite to inform them.

Other then that. *shrug* seems fine.

Maybe we can have a list of checkboxes rather than a drop-down list? And select clans as necessary?

Is there any chance we could get the formatting stuff now available added over to the respond part of the tool, for both imms and players?

Quote from: WWYD on April 26, 2010, 02:10:04 PM
Is there any chance we could get the formatting stuff now available added over to the respond part of the tool, for both imms and players?

Now that staff can respond with formatting when resolving, changing up the reply functionality is next.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: Morgenes on April 26, 2010, 02:13:07 PM

Now that staff can respond with formatting when resolving, changing up the reply functionality is next.

Actually - I was just about to post about not seeing how to reply....? Am I missing something? (That would be my next bit of feed back - not being to reply after reading the message).
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

Just submitted my first character report.  Worked fine.  It wasn't too overwhelming to spend the entire 2 seconds required to copy+paste.
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

Quote from: jmordetsky on April 26, 2010, 03:36:24 PM
Quote from: Morgenes on April 26, 2010, 02:13:07 PM

Actually - I was just about to post about not seeing how to reply....? Am I missing something? (That would be my next bit of feed back - not being to reply after reading the message).

If you've been asked a question, you will be given a link to provide a reply at the top of the message.  It will come from a no-reply email address.  If for some reason the link doesn't work to reply, if you view a request from your history you can see the replies there and respond to them from that page.

If you get a 'Request Resolved' message, then there's currently no way to respond.  It has been suggested that there be a way to re-open a request that has been closed (either because something wasn't done right, or you feel like it wasn't addressed for whatever reason).  We haven't gotten to adding this yet.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: Morgenes
In your Character Report you can ask any other IC/OOC or questions you need to as related to your character's life over the previous however long you go between reports.

Oh.  Errrrr.  Sorry about that. 
>.>
<.<
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

I actually like this a lot better than just random all-purpose emails. It's also easier for me because I have to log into webmail to send things on my macbook for dumb reasons I can't figure out, and I like the organization categories better. Plus I don't have to worry if my email got sent or spam blocked. I feel more directed, I guess?

Morg...

Would the following be possible:
1) Can the "email a copy of the submission" option be opt-out instead of opt-in? It's easy to bypass it if you're in a hurry, and no way to get that e-mail once you hit submit, if the box isn't checked.
2) Having the sender of the e-mail copy and the reply to the request be the same? Right now it looks like the e-mail copy comes from mud@arm, and the reply to the request comes from the e-mail of whatever member of staff is replying. For those of us who use Gmail, this prevents the emails from "grouping" together.

Thanks.
Squinting at the such-and-such dwarf, the so-and-so woman asks, in sirihish:
     "You put jam in your peenee hole to keep from making baby juice?"

I made the default be to get the email (the checkbox is default checked).

I've had gmail do funny things with responses, I'm still trying to figure out why it sometimes think they aren't the same thread when they both have the same subject line.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

I dunno how new the ability to reply in the request tool is, but it's slick.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: Morgenes on April 30, 2010, 12:46:19 PM
I made the default be to get the email (the checkbox is default checked).

I've had gmail do funny things with responses, I'm still trying to figure out why it sometimes think they aren't the same thread when they both have the same subject line.

I figured out why responses from players weren't getting threaded with Gmail, but I've fixed it, the subject wasn't exactly the same (missing 'Request' before the request #). 

Quote from: brytta.leofa on April 30, 2010, 01:33:35 PM
I dunno how new the ability to reply in the request tool is, but it's slick.

I added it a while back, glad you like it.

I have also updated the rich text editor.  We're now using a much more fully featured (and cross-browser compatible) editor.  Hope you enjoy it.

(I still am working on allowing the reply piece of the code to use the new editor.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

I think Morgenes is a really cool guy. eh codes in all these awesome things and doesn't afraid of anything.
Rickey's Law: People don't want "A story". They want their story.

No, you can't edit these.  You do have the option of cancelling the request and resubmitting it from tour list of requests.  Note that will put you back at the end of the line to be processed.  I would suggest getting it right the first time.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

This certainly seems to have come a long ways from its initial implementation. Now, if only, it had...

Spell Check
Squinting at the such-and-such dwarf, the so-and-so woman asks, in sirihish:
     "You put jam in your peenee hole to keep from making baby juice?"

Quote from: netflix on May 08, 2010, 05:00:06 PM
This certainly seems to have come a long ways from its initial implementation. Now, if only, it had...

Spell Check

There is actually a plugin for the editor we're using to allow that, but I figured I'd let everyone get the javascript cached before I sprung that extra code on them.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

The box you type into for the request tool need to be bigger.

I hate scrolling, and narrowness.