North and South

Started by 1, March 31, 2010, 02:18:57 AM

Hey,

I was thinking the other day that it might prove useful to have a North Discussion Board, and a South Discussion Board. I understand we already have these IG, as OOC tools, that show up as IC items, which is off putting when the n00b comes by to "read" the board that doesn't exsist, but does. ANYWAYS. I was thinking, it would be cool if we had these two new additions, as it would bring a possible unity to both the north and the south, for HRPTs or RPTs. It would be also useful to have a "Roll Call for Leaders" that way -everyone- in the North/South would know when the best time to reach a Templar or Merchant is. This could also be extended to Roll Call in general, which would allow the player to know when they should be wondering why they haven't seen a certain character in a long time.

The board would be in the Clan section, and you would have to request to join the board, as it would be only suited for people with active social characters in the North/South.

More ways the Board could help:

-Help posts (how and where to buy water)
-Roll Call for Leaders
-Absent Thread
-RPTs

Just an idea....

Personally, I don't like to use the General Discussion Board to facilitate my character's ArmageddonMUD experience.  I'd rather do everything in game.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

What would happen if you're a merchant, or in a GMH that travels between North and South? Where is Luir's placed in this hypothetical situation? And what would stop people from just visiting Allanak, saying they need Southern Board, and then using information gleaned from there to support other IC actions? I think its too much work for what really wouldn't be much benefit.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

This works in games like Shadows of Isildur, where there were various "spheres", or regions as we know them, and there were restrictions on traveling from sphere to sphere: for example, no traveling between spheres during the snowy winter, and waiting a long RL time after arrival before moving again. It implied that wherever you were staying or going, you were going to be there for a long while. And indeed, there were forums for every area there.

Your idea won't work here because there are no such restrictions in-game on travel here. For the most part, if you have a character in Tuluk, and you want to go to Allanak, you can just go, setting the various dangers of travel aside for a moment. The game won't tell you "it is extremely hot now, you cannot move". When you try to head back to Tuluk from Allanak the game won't tell you "but you haven't been here for an IG month yet!". So without those restrictions, basically the scenario Riev predicts is likely to come into play.

One potential problem (not make or break, but still an issue) is that the value of separating by region may be undercut by the tendency for people to "forget" (or be dissuaded by the 30 second request tool process) to leave clan forums.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

Another RPI mud that I play now provides you with clan access forum automatically with the clan you are in, in-game.

Say you get into Kadius and someone invites you in the clan, it automatically gives you access to the Kadius forum.

The same goes if you get kicked out of the clan, you automatically lose your forum access..

You also create a character via the website, which is great.. Actually, the whole game and the forum are connected together in so many ways.

I hope we can get that in Arm 2.

Maybe there could be temporary clanning depending on where your character is at the moment.. Say you are in the north, you get northern forum access.. But if you, say, ride past the span.. You lose both clanning and access automatically.. Dunno.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Quote from: Malken on March 31, 2010, 03:01:32 PM
You also create a character via the website, which is great.. Actually, the whole game and the forum are connected together in so many ways.

I was putting in some bios last night and thought this very thing would be awesome. With bios able to be added in via the website, I'm sure PC apps could very easily be added to it. Also, you would not have to worry about the nasty formatting bar this way.

Shadows of Isildur has that. And it's kickawesome, except for the fact that when you save your character, it resets the role.
-Kuh