Discussion for Change to Storm/Darkness navigation

Started by Morgenes, March 24, 2010, 12:25:50 AM

First off, should rangers have this skill as of the double crash tonight?

Second, will skill levels be adjusted to existing characters who should have this skill?

Thanks
Squinting at the such-and-such dwarf, the so-and-so woman asks, in sirihish:
     "You put jam in your peenee hole to keep from making baby juice?"

OMG I THINK I JUST FUDGED! I AM SO PUMPED! THIS IS SO AWESOME!

KAAAAAAABOOOOOOOOOOM!

okay, after a moment I have calmed down. Still....fing...sweet.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

Quote from: netflix on March 24, 2010, 12:29:57 AM
First off, should rangers have this skill as of the double crash tonight?

Second, will skill levels be adjusted to existing characters who should have this skill?

Thanks

I have gone and added it to all Rangers in game right now.  Everyone else will get it if they should get it when they next log in.

No, skill levels won't be adjusted for existing characters.  Rangers will find they should be in good shape to start.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Wow ... this is just too cool. You are the man ... that is all.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Is "outdoor survival" or "camping" (desert quit) next? Cuz if so I would be uber happy.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

Quote from: jmordetsky on March 24, 2010, 12:45:49 AM
Is "outdoor survival" or "camping" (desert quit) next? Cuz if so I would be uber happy.

Direction sense branches into 'camping', silly. Get out there and explore those storms!

Also.. Is the skill just a replacement for auto-ranger awesomeness, or is there more to it? Is it worth putting a help file for it, as well?
Quote from: Niamh on September 24, 2009, 02:28:12 PM
Remember, you're never in trouble if you don't get caught!

Quote from: Wyx on June 28, 2009, 07:59:17 PM
Besides, the players know best

Basically a revamping moving from an ability on one guild to a skill useable by several.  There are a few other tweaks, but nothing else like a cool compass that glows in the dark or anything.

My hand was a bot forced in getting this in, so I forgot to do the helpfile, I'll get it in tomorrow.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

This is amazing.  Will we know what subguilds get the skill?
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Also, Morgenes...I just want you to know that you have fulfilled my number one wish for Armageddon.

I feel so good about this.  So happy.  So impressed.  And it's my birthday!  THANK YOU FOR THE INADVERTENT BIRTHDAY PRESENT, MORGENES.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

QuoteNo, skill levels won't be adjusted for existing characters.  Rangers will find they should be in good shape to start.

Hopefully by that you mean flawless.

And Joy, a skill....one of the things a person should have at basicly flawless levels before even deciding to be a ranger/hunter type. I am not impressed. But while we are nerfing the classes, How about adding Disarm and bash to some subs, they(warriors)  need nerfing too.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Really cool it is added to some subguilds. Curious which, though sure some should stand out on having it. :\
"Don't take life too seriously, nobody ever makes it out alive anyway."

Yessss!  This + mount command emote = favorite code changes evar.
Quote from: manonfire on November 04, 2013, 08:11:36 AM
The secret to great RP is having the balls to be weird and the brains to make it eloquent.

Awesome!  This will really open up new roles.  Not to mention Redstorm.

Suddenly, all sorts of tempting concepts are dancing in my head ... which means my current character will. never. die.  But such is the way of things.
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

Storm/darkness navigation should branch from blind fighting..

just saying

March 24, 2010, 04:30:23 AM #16 Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 04:55:06 AM by spawnloser
There is one main class that I think should get this besides Ranger.

Edit:  Additionally, the fact that you can (so far as I can tell) get turned around in less severe storms is really pissing me off.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

March 24, 2010, 05:39:17 AM #17 Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 05:46:30 AM by Attana
I have to say... I really don't like this change at all.  Not one bit.  Sorry.

Edited:  Rangers were popular for their abilities to -know- where they are during a sandstorm.  Now... having seen an experienced ranger try and ride through a storm only to lose their bearings MULTIPLE upon multiple times?  Totally disagree with that.
After knocking back a mouthful of the contents of a full shot-glass, toking away on a rolled joint directly afterwards you say in desert-accented sirihish:
"They call me Tuber, and my son is Tuber-tot."

I should note, I have NO problem with the perfect navigation that rangers had being scaled back a bit.  I think more people deserve the skill, however.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

March 24, 2010, 05:58:12 AM #19 Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 06:03:33 AM by Attana
I should note that the documentation on rangers, says that they have the ability to know where they are at all times.  If this skill addage makes it available for other people to learn, I think rangers should either be able to retain the ability for perfect navigation for themselves and their groups following, or the information on rangers changed to reflect that they now have to 'learn' it.

I have no issues with it being added to certain other subclasses... but from what I've seen so far, it makes ranger not that different from warrior, save for skill differences.

It makes someone hiring a ranger to guide them somewhere far less playable right now.
After knocking back a mouthful of the contents of a full shot-glass, toking away on a rolled joint directly afterwards you say in desert-accented sirihish:

Quote from: Attana on March 24, 2010, 05:58:12 AM
I should note that the documentation on rangers, says that they have the ability to know where they are at all times.  If this skill addage makes it available for other people to learn, I think rangers should either be able to retain the ability for perfect navigation for themselves and their groups following, or the information on rangers changed to reflect that they now have to 'learn' it.

I have no issues with it being added to certain other subclasses... but from what I've seen so far, it makes ranger not that different from warrior, save for skill differences.

It makes someone hiring a ranger to guide them somewhere far less playable right now.

I like the idea of rangers keeping perfect ability with this and others having to work for it. That said: I haven't logged in and seen any of this in action yet anyhow, so I'm only going based on theory and opinion.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Hmm, at first I thought good idea, but after hearing that it actually makes rangers worse at moving through storms is really sad, that was possibly their most useful ranger-like ability that set them apart from other classes! Will have to check it out IG before I judge though...
Free your hate.

No only does a ranger lose their sense of direction -quite- often, they also cannot lead anyone through storms anymore - which I thought was one of the main perks, main differences between rangers and warriors.  With the correct choices in guild and subguild it would seem that ranger class is nearly obsolete right now.

Quote from: Attana on March 24, 2010, 05:58:12 AM
I should note that the documentation on rangers, says that they have the ability to know where they are at all times.  If this skill addage makes it available for other people to learn, I think rangers should either be able to retain the ability for perfect navigation for themselves and their groups following, or the information on rangers changed to reflect that they now have to 'learn' it.

Um, give it some time to work the skill up? It's been less than 24 hours.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Quote from: Attana on March 24, 2010, 07:11:51 AM
No only does a ranger lose their sense of direction -quite- often, they also cannot lead anyone through storms anymore - which I thought was one of the main perks, main differences between rangers and warriors.  With the correct choices in guild and subguild it would seem that ranger class is nearly obsolete right now.

Ranger quit, poisoning, sniper like skills with bows, wilderness sneak and hide... Unparalleled mounted combat... Obsolete? Hardly...
Nothing, ever, will even come close to the versatility that Rangers have in the outdoors.

I bet, through time like any other skill, that Rangers will still be leading caravans and such. It's not like they don't get other very useful IC skills that set them apart.

Granted though... There will be much more Warrior/(direction sense subguild) out there.

Any story of a Badass Ranger usually doesn't mention there ability to power through the most gruesome, skin tearing, eye blinding, sandstorms right out of the box.