Fuck it.

Started by Toofie, March 23, 2010, 10:35:43 PM

March 23, 2010, 10:35:43 PM Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 10:38:23 PM by Toofie
I'm done here. It's been nice, but I'm just done... Several reason for that. But this last thing was just the icing on the cake. I hope someone's still enjoying this game.

**And for people who can't keep IC from OOC, you should just stop playing as well, before you ruin it for someone else.
Musashi: You're not witty Toofie.

Shut down any and all OOC communication channels and don't give any IC info away, change the location and style from what your last character was radically, submit new character but don't play till you feel ready. That will do enough.

Sadly, for other people being able to use IC info about your character, you must have leaked it to them somehow. Don't.. I have experience in knowing that it ruins everything, everytime.
Q  : Where do you piss?
Yam: On elves.
Q  : And if the area, lacks elves at the given time?
Yam: Scan.

That, er... sounds like near precisely the opposite reason I won't be playing much for a while.

Addiction interferes with schoolwork...

Unfortunately, there will always be OOC communication. Many new players are drafted by more experienced players who will most likely help them with the basics but also reveal a smattering of IC info. These cliques are unavoidable because they create the majority of our playerbase, or players will eventually get curious about the other players of Armageddon. It doesn't help that there's actually slots in every GDB handle for AIM, MSN, and yahoo messenger (does anyone still use that?) as well as things like tinychat.

I've been down this road before, Toofie, and believe most Armers can probably say the same thing. They might also mention that it -does- ruin the game, take away the mystery, the surprise, and the fun.

The best way you can prevent this is on your own. Get a new GDB handle, adopt a new style, and cut off any OOC communication you may have with other players. You'll find it helps tremendously with your gaming experience.

I really do wish we would disable the ability to show AIM (or etc) SNs on the forums here. It would cut much of this down considerably, I think.
Quote from: IntuitiveApathy on June 30, 2007, 05:39:36 AM
>necksnap amos

You try and snap the tall, muscular man's neck but fumble and snap your own!

Welcome to Armageddon!  '(mantishead)

Also, if you do decide to return and have a complicated situation, shoot an email to staff. They're great problem solvers and they're not actually out to get you. They're here to help you.

Give them a quick blurb explaining where you're coming from, your current situation, and any potential problems you may be facing.

Quote from: Toofie
I mean it.

But to the point. It's been fun, most of you that I've played with have been very enjoyable. I have a specific shout out to the T'zai Byn, definately my favorite clan. Most of you that I've played with probably didn't know you were playing with me. But I just can't continue to endure this game.

Maybe I'll come back one day. But for now, this is goodbye.

-Toofie
This dated sometime in October.

Sounds like it was an inevitability. I really hope you decide to come back. It sucks losing someone who puts out consistently solid RP.

Quote from: Spider on March 24, 2010, 12:54:33 AM
Quote from: Toofie
I mean it.

But to the point. It's been fun, most of you that I've played with have been very enjoyable. I have a specific shout out to the T'zai Byn, definately my favorite clan. Most of you that I've played with probably didn't know you were playing with me. But I just can't continue to endure this game.

Maybe I'll come back one day. But for now, this is goodbye.

-Toofie
This dated sometime in October.

Sounds like it was an inevitability. I really hope you decide to come back. It sucks losing someone who puts out consistently solid RP.

This was the last straw, apparently. :D I do wish he comes back to have a greater time of things, though. In all my playing, I must be fortunate to not have any OOC issues crop up to ruin my play.
"And all around is the desert; a corner of the mournful kingdom of sand."
   - Pierre Loti

Sorry to hear this.  The best I can offer advice wise, is... don't talk to anyone OOCly - at least about anything that happens ICly.  That just spells trouble right there.

Secondly, if it wasn't OOCly motivated then don't take things that happen ICly so personally.  I've had a few issues like these where I've had to take a step back from the game a time or two to recollect my thoughts and let things cool down before going back to it.
After knocking back a mouthful of the contents of a full shot-glass, toking away on a rolled joint directly afterwards you say in desert-accented sirihish:
"They call me Tuber, and my son is Tuber-tot."

Why do people assume that Toofie is telling people IC info, oocly? I mean maybe he is...but, why give him advice, as if you know he's the one doing it?

If Toofie played Amos, and Amos hired Malik to murder Talia, and Malik's player is married to Talia's player, and told her about the setup...then it would've had absolutely nothing to do with Toofie spreading IC info OOCly. It would be Malik's player spreading IC info oocly.

If something like that happened, then Toofie would totally justified in being fed up. This kind of thing happens all the time. The -only- thing I'd question to Toofie, is how did he find out that this info was spread OOCly, and not ICly. A lot of what happens in the game, is happening -in- the game and not outside it. Characters being chased by intelligent critters, and the player thinks a staff member is animating the critter to purposely PK the character - when in fact, it's just part of the AI system and the critter is doing what it normally does.
Or an assassination, and you know who the player of your character's enemy is, and are absolutely positive he told the assassin when you'd be logged in but in fact the assassin has a pal who's a {censored} class and knew exactly where your character was and when, and the entire thing was handled ICly. Lots and lots of times, people assume it was the result of OOC gossipmongering, when in fact it was the result of IC circumstances. On the other hand, lots of times, it's because there are a few people who cause IC problems via ooc methods.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

News flash: Armageddon is not everything I hoped it would be.
News flash 2: It's still worth playing.

Quote from: Lizzie on March 24, 2010, 08:40:58 AM
Lots and lots of times, people assume it was the result of OOC gossipmongering, when in fact it was the result of IC circumstances.

The more I learn about Armageddon, the more I understand this to be true.

Fuck it (phuck'et) n:

A crisis point in the career of every Armageddon player. Usually brought on by OOC/IC issues or (real or perceived) immortal-related woes. Often followed by a vitriolic post on the GDB in which the player will be comforted and counseled by their peers that have had Fuck It moments of their own. In time, the player will often experience a longing to return to Zalanthas, using what they learned from the Fuck It moment to avoid future Fuck It moments. Occasionally, players are motivated to return by a desire for "revenge", in which case future Fuck It moments are almost assured. Veterans of Armageddon MUD recognize the Fuck It moment as a badge of honor or a right of passage necessary to realize that such moments are simply a negative expression of Armageddon MUD's greatest strength: how emotionally engaging it can be.
Amor Fati

Excellent words of wisdom, Fnord.

Toofie, if whatever happened seemed like a breach of the rules or something of that nature, please file a player complaint so we can investigate it.
"Behold the monster with the pointed tail,
     Who cleaves the hills, and breaketh walls and weapons,
     Behold him who infecteth all the world."

Quote from: Fnord on March 24, 2010, 11:48:16 AM
Fuck it (phuck'et) n:

A crisis point in the career of every Armageddon player. Usually brought on by OOC/IC issues or (real or perceived) immortal-related woes. Often followed by a vitriolic post on the GDB in which the player will be comforted and counseled by their peers that have had Fuck It moments of their own. In time, the player will often experience a longing to return to Zalanthas, using what they learned from the Fuck It moment to avoid future Fuck It moments. Occasionally, players are motivated to return by a desire for "revenge", in which case future Fuck It moments are almost assured. Veterans of Armageddon MUD recognize the Fuck It moment as a badge of honor or a right of passage necessary to realize that such moments are simply a negative expression of Armageddon MUD's greatest strength: how emotionally engaging it can be.
Well done, sir.

Also, as Lizzie brought up, if there was OOC communication, don't point fingers unless you know who was spreading IC information that way... which usually means you were involved in it, so point at yourself.  I've said it before and I'll say it again, this game is better when you only communicate with other players via the GDB and only in public fashion, unless the staff are used as an intermediary.  Stuff slips and people start thinking, "Oh, I trust this person to know this," and all sorts of other crap.  Still, there may've been no OOC spreading of IC information in this case.  None of us KNOW the truth.  We only have suspicions and convictions that could be blatantly wrong.  Let the staff handle it.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I'm starting to have fuck it (not pertaining to OOC or IC information, just gameplay) moments starting from today since I logged in. :(
Veni, vinci, voici.

I'm okay on my own.

oddly enough this thread makes me wistful about playing again.

But i'm having too much fun shooting stuff in bad company 2 and left 4 dead 2.

maybe I should retire my current complicated karma race and roll a human bynner. Then i could fight more and think less like I do in my other games. I think enough as it is in my day job. I need to relax at home.

edit:
oh, and on topic, yes, what everyone else has said, i agree with. Especially Fnord.

Yo, this is fnord using belgoi's account. tip of the hat to the op for really bringing out my zalanthan muse. I've cleaned up the definition of fuck it and posted it separately. Feel free to direct anyone having a fuck it moment to the following:

http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,38261.0.html

8)
You know you've raised a nerd when your five year old answers the question "Do you know what gymnastics are?" with "Dungeons and Dragons?"

It's never too late to live happily ever after.

Quote from: Lizzie on March 24, 2010, 08:40:58 AM
Why do people assume that Toofie is telling people IC info, oocly? I mean maybe he is...but, why give him advice, as if you know he's the one doing it?

If Toofie played Amos, and Amos hired Malik to murder Talia, and Malik's player is married to Talia's player, and told her about the setup...then it would've had absolutely nothing to do with Toofie spreading IC info OOCly. It would be Malik's player spreading IC info oocly.

If something like that happened, then Toofie would totally justified in being fed up. This kind of thing happens all the time. The -only- thing I'd question to Toofie, is how did he find out that this info was spread OOCly, and not ICly. A lot of what happens in the game, is happening -in- the game and not outside it. Characters being chased by intelligent critters, and the player thinks a staff member is animating the critter to purposely PK the character - when in fact, it's just part of the AI system and the critter is doing what it normally does.
Or an assassination, and you know who the player of your character's enemy is, and are absolutely positive he told the assassin when you'd be logged in but in fact the assassin has a pal who's a {censored} class and knew exactly where your character was and when, and the entire thing was handled ICly. Lots and lots of times, people assume it was the result of OOC gossipmongering, when in fact it was the result of IC circumstances. On the other hand, lots of times, it's because there are a few people who cause IC problems via ooc methods.

Err.. You are perfectly right.. Forgive me about my shallow thinking.
Q  : Where do you piss?
Yam: On elves.
Q  : And if the area, lacks elves at the given time?
Yam: Scan.

You guys all have to stop trying to win armageddon and just get your char shitfaced at the bar till he is out of money and then try and murder and steal until you are out of hp. I'ts so much more fun that way.
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.  Zalanthas is Armageddon.

March 24, 2010, 05:49:47 PM #19 Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 05:52:03 PM by hyzhenhok
I read Toofie's post more broadly. People unable to tell IC from OOC doesn't necessarily mean OOC knowledge of IC events, but even making determinations and judgments IC relying on OOC knowledge, or simply not keeping a good barrier between IC and OOC.

A made-up example would be denying a Byn runner promotion at the IC end of his runner year because he was on hiatus for the past 2-3 RL weeks. Or guild sniffing. Or seeing a PC eat a type of food that you know can't be found nearby, and assuming they're a rukkian. I've had my oh Fuhk'eht moments before because of this sort of stuff, but I got over it.

I enjoyed playing with Toofie and heartily recommend somebody take up this special app.

Evil Erdlu, and Fnord said it best, I think.

If you're using OOC and it's getting leaked around, see Erdlu's advice. Change things up, block / ignore people on AIM/MSN/whatever.

If you're not, but you have compelling evidence that points out other people are (When a Lirathan and a defiler team up to fuck you up, something is probably wrong and punishable by banning.) send that shit in.

It's ALWAYs gonna happen, and it's ALWAYs gonna suck. I've got lots of experience on both sides of this fence, bro.

Cool down, take a break, enjoy the warm weather, then come back and then do this:
QuoteYou guys all have to stop trying to win armageddon and just get your char shitfaced at the bar till he is out of money and then try and murder and steal until you are out of hp. I'ts so much more fun that way.

Haha. I'm seriously considering siging that.

Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

Last Active:   Today at 02:07:31 PM

Back already?

There will always be OOC communication/coordination/sharing.  However, it's never too late to disengage from that nasty web of unsavory OOC things.  That is the best way not to let the OOC mongers ruin your fun.

Disclaimer: I'm not saying that it isn't okay to chat OOCly with other players.  There are some really awesome people who play this game who are enjoyable to chit-chat with outside the game.  Sadly, there will always be players who use OOC for uncool things, and that is what I don't approve of.
Eastman: he came out of the east to do battle with The Amazing Rando!

Ehh. Only thing I can really say is hope you come back, not sure I knew you, but hope you come back.

Most players seem to be able to pick out who I am pretty quickly, but I've had experiences with players I played with IG on one char where on another char that same person absolutely hated my char. So I guess it's how you play your chars out.

... Not that I intentionally made them hate me. It was just that my views were radically different.

EVERY ELF NEEDS SOME LOVE PEOPLE!

Anyways, yeah, don't let OOC crap get to you. Spank some bitches if they start harassing your AIM/AOL/YIM, and only chat it up with people you know aren't going to go "LOLLOL THIS IS HOW YOU MAKE FAST SID YOU KNOW TEMPLAR FANCYPANTS!? HE KEEPS HIS ROOM UNLOCKED!" only to find that Templar Fancypants also sleeps in his armor with his sword drawn and... yeah. This hasn't happened to me, and I hope to Krath it hasn't happened to anyone else...