Have you hugged a noob today?

Started by Gimfalisette, March 12, 2010, 02:15:06 PM

My first newbie experience was probably one of the most interesting I've ever had on a MUD, and I realize now I ought to be sending a kudos to the guy that took the time out of his busy life as Mister Badass to help me get used to the game, give me an initial purpose, and show me what I was doing wrong.

By the way, I'm sorry at the time I didn't know the "inv" command to realize you start with a lot of coin. I swear it wasn't my fault ;_;

... And Jeax, whoever that player was, I bet he had a really bad accent. Most guys on Arm have horrible accents. All this "ya wan' do tha' an' ge' some sids'n shi' t'getha" stuff.

DISCLAIMER remember "inv" it saves your life!

Mmm, yeah.  Those of you who "Tal' li' y' go' co'n ba's 'n y' mou's" might want to tone that down with the newbies. 

Actually even I have trouble understanding you sometimes.
Nyr: newbs killing newbs
Nyr: hot newb on newb violence
Ath: Mmmmmm, HOT!

Quote from: Vanth on March 22, 2010, 12:56:50 PM
Mmm, yeah.  Those of you who "Tal' li' y' go' co'n ba's 'n y' mou's" might want to tone that down with the newbies. 

There was one awesome dwarf who spoke so incomprehensibly he became famous for it. I loved that PC.
Quote from: Morrolan on July 16, 2013, 01:43:41 AM
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

Seriously. I have to force myself ooc not to have my pcs completely avoid these people... and they still usually talk shit about the guy who obviously got smacked in the mouth with a club at a young age. There's a reason accents are precoded, folks.

On topic:

If by 'hug' you mean 'subdue' and by 'today', you mean.... uh... today... then yes.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Quote from: AmandaGreathouse on March 22, 2010, 04:35:18 PM

Seriously. I have to force myself ooc not to have my pcs completely avoid these people... and they still usually talk shit about the guy who obviously got smacked in the mouth with a club at a young age. There's a reason accents are precoded, folks.

On topic:

If by 'hug' you mean 'subdue' and by 'today', you mean.... uh... today... then yes.

Jesus. Do you guys read books? Or are you really running into people who try to talk with an accent that are using it that terribly? I've had yet t'see summun in game I couldn' unnerstand.

I don't see how what I typed was that hard to understand, at all, but okay? This isn't a bash thread for code accents vs player-made accents.

Anyways, today I was not able to hug a n00b, as I wasn't in game, sadly.

Quote from: Akoto on March 22, 2010, 01:01:19 PM
"Tal' li' y' go' co'n ba's 'n y' mou's"

???
"Talk like you've got cotton balls in your mouths." ;) 

Not directed at anyone in particular, just a general observation.
Nyr: newbs killing newbs
Nyr: hot newb on newb violence
Ath: Mmmmmm, HOT!

"Tal' li'e y'go' co'on balls in y'mou!"

Who else has hugged a n00b today, at... 2:00 a.m. EST?

Quote from: Vanth on March 23, 2010, 12:45:45 AM
???

Yeah, this's one of my pet peeves.  There are people that do this to the point of being nearly incomprehensible.  It's silly.  I've no problem with this being done, just not to the point of absurdity as some have done.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: spawnloser on March 23, 2010, 05:17:31 AM
Quote from: Vanth on March 23, 2010, 12:45:45 AM
???

Yeah, this's one of my pet peeves.  There are people that do this to the point of being nearly incomprehensible.  It's silly.  I've no problem with this being done, just not to the point of absurdity as some have done.

Tah lie yeh goh con bossen yeh mouse

If that's indeed how it sounds, by all means, type it like that. It's the random apostrophe-laden minefield of whatever the hell someone is saying that's the pet peeve. Not because they're speaking in a certain way, but because simply taking apostrophes in in random places is so ambiguous. If you're going to try and show how the way you speak is phonetically different, by all means, change what's being said so that it's what you're saying. Don't just randomly switch letters for apostrophes. Show people what it sounds like you're saying and if they can't guess it, it's your own damn fault.
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

The problem is that's not how it sounds. And I'm sorry, but I'm not going to be baited anymore.

On to the next subject, here's a fun n00b question for ya'll.

As a n00b, were -you- given hugs? Who gave you these hugs? And, more specifically, just how bad did you screw yourself over as a n00b? There's no shame in admitting you thought you could take on that Half-Giant.... really.

Disagree about accented speech somewhere else.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

QuoteAs a n00b, were -you- given hugs? Who gave you these hugs?

When I first logged in to the Sanctuary, one of my first concerns was to find out where food was.  The bar staff didn't help, and those at my table gave my 'bred the respect she deserved.  But one suspect character did offer to find her a job.
It was a Jihaen (the crimson-eyed....) that took her into the market and showed her around. I suppose in the long run, if her principles had allowed it, my 'bred could have supplied him with poisons. I've forgotten his name (it was one of the Turks) but it's been one of my good memories. I thought of this the other day when one of the suggestions in this thread was to dare to break character.  Or is that how they behave in the north? Been so long, I've forgot.

My first hug was given by a staff member... Eventually, with that PC, Synthesis would teach me a valuable lesson about the game... it is harsh. I suppose that was -like- a hug. Yeesh, I was so clueless, and as a result my PC was probably the most annoying and inconsequential PCs ever made. I'm surprised he didn't do it sooner.  Picked up the game quickly after that though, and those I played with then probably couldn't recognize me now. Not even close. :D

That was a pretty fun group to get started with.

March 26, 2010, 08:36:55 AM #40 Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 08:38:55 AM by Saellyn
I met a Desert Elf as my first noob hug, and I think the player was -really- breaking character by showing me the reins and helping me out, and I'll never forget those long desert nights where the annoying "Are we there yet!?" pierced the sky... yeah, I know his face was twisted up in a "Drov, give me mercy!" look under all those clothes...

*AHEM* Reminiscing about events that may/not have happened, it was always great to RP with desert elves. Just uh... one of the -creepier- aspects of the game, in my opinion. Said player was also my biggest supporter when I was having ragefests at the subsequent deaths of like... four of my characters, one right after the other. My second char died within two hours of playing xD

Also hugged a n00b at like... 1:00 EST. Showing him the reins was so much fun. I love helping newbs out. Makes me feel war and warm and fuzzy inside.

I'm awaiting approval for my first character, but also at work now. Can I still get a huggle? Preemptive strike I suppose  ::)

* AmandaGreathouse gives Simon a huggle.

Seriously though. Welcome. Don't get discouraged if you log in during a nighttime sandstorm and can't see anything when you leave your starting point. Just head back until dawn (20 minutes or less). And find a helper. They're awesome and I still use them from time to time.

Amanda, give him back his boots.
Quote from: Morrolan on July 16, 2013, 01:43:41 AM
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

Quote from: AmandaGreathouse on March 26, 2010, 09:18:46 AM
* AmandaGreathouse gives Simon a huggle.

Seriously though. Welcome. Don't get discouraged if you log in during a nighttime sandstorm and can't see anything when you leave your starting point. Just head back until dawn (20 minutes or less). And find a helper. They're awesome and I still use them from time to time.

Considering the shame thread is what intrigued me the most, I don't expect to be discouraged easily.

Quote from: janeshephard on March 26, 2010, 10:27:35 AM
Amanda, give him back his boots.

I don't steal boots, I seduce them off of you. *wink*

Simon, though: You're going to fit in just fine, that being the case.

And after a year or two, you'll realize how much of what you did could go in there.

Some of my favorite memories, I don't know if they ought to go in the shame thread or the bragging one. :)

Amanda, give him back his pants.  ;D

Anyway. I'm still waiting for my noobhug.

March 26, 2010, 12:35:08 PM #47 Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 12:51:48 PM by Simon
Quote from: Akaramu on March 26, 2010, 12:30:22 PM

Want some noob-on-noob action?

Apparently my pants were already stolen. -stretches out arms.-

Edit: Woohoo! Character approval. Time to bail from work for an 'interview.'

Quote from: Simon on March 26, 2010, 12:35:08 PM

Hahah. Noob on noob action. That's great.

Quote from: Saellyn on March 26, 2010, 01:33:28 PM
Quote from: Simon on March 26, 2010, 12:35:08 PM

Hahah. Noob on noob action. That's great.
The more the merrier. Join in! Bring a friend!