Have you hugged a noob today?

Started by Gimfalisette, March 12, 2010, 02:15:06 PM

Quote from: Gimfalisette on March 12, 2010, 12:39:49 PM
Quote from: Vanth on March 12, 2010, 12:36:20 PM
About 40% of new players are referred by friends, but they account for 57% of the players we retain...85% of new players who left had a living character when they stopped playing.

This leads me to believe that lack of involvement (an inability or failure to get involved with other PCs, and thus get sucked into plots and fun) is our biggest retention risk factor.

Vanth has delved into the dark depths of ARM's data to find the above pearls of numeric wisdom.

As I have stated, I believe that our biggest risk factor for new-player loss is not getting them involved. To the end of curtailing this loss, I now exhort you, my fellow players, to do what you can to involve a noob today. The job of engaging noobs does not just fall to leaders, it's something we should all be doing.

Stuff you can do to involve any noob:

-- Talk to them. Emote at them. Flirt with them. Buy them a drink. Send them Way messages. Noobs are easy to ignore, but don't.

-- Offer them a quest. Make it something simple and give full instructions: "Hey buddy, go fetch me a drink from that other tavern. Here's the coins. Here's how to get there. Make it quick, eh?"

-- Tell them a sekret. It could be true or untrue, but sekrets are engaging. "Hey, any news about the rabid jozhal attack everyone's whispering about? Oh, you don't know? Well lemme tell ya..." "Psst, if you can find me out something about Lord Frillypants' new aide and what he's doing with the new boy...oh you don't know?"

-- Offer them a job. If your PC is in the Byn or Kadius or Salarr or Kurac, this will probably not be too hard to do. If your PC is indie, you still may be able to do it. Alternately, instruct them in taking up a self-supporting city job, such as dung-collecting or clay-digging. "Instruct" here means show them where to do it, OOC the syntax, tell them ICly where to sell it, etc.

-- If you can't offer them a job, physically introduce them to someone who can, such as a Byn Sergeant, GMH leader, military leader. Don't just tell them who to look for or who to Way, make a special effort to get them connected face-to-face in game.

-- Create a scene. Get into a barfight with the Bynner on the next stool over, and make a spectacle for the noob to watch. Creatively involve the noob in the scene as it unfolds: Perhaps you pretend you're starting the fight because the Bynner insulted the noob, though in reality your PC just wants an excuse.

-- If the noob seems to have trouble with syntax or is OOCing questions, take them aside (back room of the Gaj or wherever) and do an OOC one-to-one session.

-- Be willing to do what is NOT IC for your PC, in order to get the noob involved. Maybe your PC would actually rather grunt at everyone than truly interact. I'm going to suggest something radical: Break character. For the good of the game, for the hope of seeing ARM have 25% or 50% or 100% more players, break character.

-- OOCly suggest that they contact a helper. Offer the website address of the helpers list, or even better, flat-out give them the IM contact information of a helper you think does a good job. (I have a few helpers that I refer people to.)

-- Take them on a tour of the city. Personally, I wouldn't suggest mugging the noob or attempting to kill them; but a minor scamming might give them a good feel for ARM. Or, take them up to the Elementalists' Quarter and see if you can scare them. Be engaging while also orienting them.

-- Don't let your engagement with the noob be a one-time thing. Write yourself a note to follow-up with their PC at your next login. Send them a Way and repeat any of the above involvement suggestions.

What else can you think of doing, which would help to engage and retain players who are new to ARM?
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Given my experience as a newb, and the feedback from people I've introduced from the game, I think the problem for new players even more than getting interacted with is simply finding players.

Two things to fix this:
1) Players make a point to hang out in visible locations, rather than in apartments or in clan compounds. You don't need to be aware that someone's new or even go out of your way; just being visible and active can draw them into the game.
2) Make sure new player spawn points maximize chance at interaction. Put the Allanak spawn outside of the Gaj rather than outside of Trader's, put the 'rinth spawn outside one of the 'rinthi taverns rather than on Hathor's, etc.

My first character (a 'rinther) went south and wandered around the bazaar for hours, and I never saw a PC. Then I wandered around the 'rinth for hours before I found other players. Then I died to a beggar. But having found players before I died, I realized there was something really special about this game and came back for more.

Fix that, and 90% of the problem is fixed.

Quote from: hyzhenhok on March 12, 2010, 08:51:51 PM
Put the Allanak spawn outside of the Gaj rather than outside of Trader's

I don't disagree with your points in general, but the Allanak spawn point is inside the Gaj dormitory. New players are already spawning into the most busy single point in Nak.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

I agree that the rinth spawn point should be somewhere else.  And the Tuluk spawn point should be in the Firestorm or a tavern that people actually visit.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Quote from: Gimfalisette on March 12, 2010, 09:07:22 PM
Quote from: hyzhenhok on March 12, 2010, 08:51:51 PM
Put the Allanak spawn outside of the Gaj rather than outside of Trader's

I don't disagree with your points in general, but the Allanak spawn point is inside the Gaj dormitory. New players are already spawning into the most busy single point in Nak.

Whoops, my mistake. It's been awhile.

Quote from: LauraMars on March 12, 2010, 09:54:09 PM
I agree that the rinth spawn point should be somewhere else.  And the Tuluk spawn point should be in the Firestorm or a tavern that people actually visit.

+5000

My first Rinth character was hopelessly confused as to where the alleys even were. The 'rinth starting point should be at the Templar statue on Hathor's Way, no if ands or buts about it.

And I agree that the Tuluki starting point should be somewhere more relevant, especially now.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

The 'rinth spawn point used to be inside the actual 'rinth, but newbs would log in and do typical newb things like go linkdead, and people would PK them or spam-steal all their newb coins because they were in a no-law zone.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Gimfalisette on March 12, 2010, 02:15:06 PM

-- Offer them a quest. Make it something simple and give full instructions: "Hey buddy, go fetch me a drink from that other tavern. Here's the coins. Here's how to get there. Make it quick, eh?"

I think this is really important. I remember how difficult it was to make enough money to live when I started out, it really did seem impossible. Once you know the ins and outs of the game getting money can seem fairly simple, so I urge people who hoard sids in the bank accounts to employ people for simple/not so simple tasks! Especially new players!

Quote from: Akaramu on March 13, 2010, 09:04:43 AM
I am a noob.

Hugs, anyone?  :-[

You're not a noob. /denies

As to helping out -real- noobs... it comes up pretty often. Gimf has really good advice and the only thing I'd stress is that in most cases you should try to stay as IC as possible, for as long as possible. If you can involve them in the game world right off, it seems like they're more likely to get into the flow of things. And then you should direct them to the helpers page.
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

I get stage-fright with obvious noobs.

Maybe it's the perceived pressure of shaping their first impressions of the game, or because I feel like a perpetual noob myself, or perhaps having to step out to OOC throws me off track. Or it might just be something else, like me just being crap at helping noobs.

Whatever it is, i've been trying to get better at it, and when I get all tongue tied i've at least been trying to direct them to someone else who may be better at it than me.

Thankfully not everyone is as unhelpful as me.

Every time I feel compelled to teach a noob. I feel like I do a terrible job. I can't help but to stay in character...
So every time a noob is annoying my character, I roleplay as such. It's much harder to teach when you're angry - or your character anyway.
And whenever there's an OOC, I'm all like. "ooc: he he. Yeah that normally happens when you put a bowl of soup in your cloak. And try not to OOC so much. I mean, I don't mind, but... yeah."

I'm never sure if I should step out of character to teach the noobs or what... because it is very hard to teach when your characters don't like each other.
Live like God.
Love like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors

I am a newb, I have now been playing Arm for 7 days I believe.

As most of you are saying, I found it vastly confusing when I first logged in, I wandered around for a good while just trying to find something and got fairly frustrated at nothing being around. Just as I was about to just log out or something and try again later, I found the Gaj and met someone. Luckily, this person was quite involving and used most of the tips that were mentioned in the original post. I struggled a bit to keep up with conversation because I kept having to read HELP EMOTES and HELP SAY and stuff...but I made it, and it got me more comfortable with interaction as well as kind of seeing what Arm was about.

Another part that really helped me was I used the helpers over AIM. And I still use them over AIM, because I hate to break RP with OOC'ing, although sometimes it's necessary. But if I get in an RP situation where someone tells me to do something and I don't know how to do it as far as the code, I just ask on AIM.

I was also introduced to a job on my first day playing, which I have been enjoying. It has given me the supplies as a newbie I wouldn't know where to get and stuff..but working with people I now know those things, and in the process of learning didn't die from my ineptitude.

If anyone is interested in getting the opinions of a fresh newb, I am always open to conversation. My AIM is in my profile.

It actually helps a lot if you just talk about your experiences as a newbie. So yeah, stuff like that. :)

Zoltan hugged me while I was a fresh newb... but now that I'm just a plain newb he doesn't want me anymore...  :'(
どんと来い、生活の悪循環!!1!11
Quote from: Yam on March 18, 2011, 09:57:04 AM
There's really nothing wrong with a pretty boy in a dress.

Quote from: Xeran Van Houten on March 13, 2010, 03:21:09 PM
Zoltan hugged me while I was a fresh newb... but now that I'm just a plain newb he doesn't want me anymore...  :'(

Same, I havn't felt love since Beard.

I really have to commend Jeax for sticking with the game, and powering through. I love to see people using Helpers, and I can't think of a single helper that would break IC/OOC rules or give bad information.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

My first day-ish playing I ran into a friendly person who showed me how to get out to a -resource hub- and -collect resource- so my brand spankin' new character could learn to make some 'sid.  He also showed me one of the easier to find vendors to dump the resource into.  Sure it's listed and detailed in the help files, but even after I read that, I'd have no clue where to find the salt fields or a damn tree to chop down without that help.

Then, after a few days, I ran into one of the Byn Sergeants who offered me a place in the clan, and wasn't pushy 'bout it.

Without these two interactions, I'd be a lot more frustrated and lost.

Quote from: Riev on March 13, 2010, 03:26:29 PM
Quote from: Xeran Van Houten on March 13, 2010, 03:21:09 PM

Same, I havn't felt love since Beard.

Those weren't "hugs." They were... manly embraces.

And I haven't let go, guys.  I'll... I'll never let go, Rose.
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

Not today.... but I do it as often as I can.

Whenever I encounter someone who is in obvious need of help (a "noob"), I usually take them aside and give them some start-up help.  This consists of a blend of IC and OOC things. First thing I do is refer them to the helpers, OOC that the use of the ooc command is to be done minimally, if ever, but it is fine for now.

I find that if I can get them started right away, they will be more likely to log on a second time and contact the helpers. But the main thing I try to do is provide enough IG intrigue through my character to get them interested in continuing. Really, this game is all about logging in and working through the learning curve... Eventually, everything just clicks, and then all you have to worry about is the RP.

I also tell them(IC) to get a job and stop being so useless to the Highlord or what have you.

~Den

When I'm in a role where I interact with newbies, I give them some hugs.  It's not often I play roles that encounter newbies too much, though, unless I'm coming across their corpses with some nasty beastie still standing over it.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Yes.  Yes I have.

You should, too!
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

I CONSTANTLY invest in newbies that appear to be trying hard to get the game. Whether its a few coin for a weapon, or a task of trying to bring me some skinned materials, I try. I don't think my efforts have really kept many players playing, though.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

I hug n00bs every time I see them. I also give them muffins and candy. I was a n00b once ;_;

Personal interaction with other players does seem to be a big factor in whether a player sticks it out through the learning curve.  You don't have to teach them everything yourself, just keep them involved and try to help them find a recruiter if they show interest in joining a clan (and if they don't show an interest, recommend it anyway).
Nyr: newbs killing newbs
Nyr: hot newb on newb violence
Ath: Mmmmmm, HOT!

I don't know about anyone else, but my first newbie experience was a pickpocket.

I tried stealing some things like a newbie from NPC's.  They yelled 'Thief'.  I ran away.

I'm walking through the streets searching for a new victim, and someone speaks to me, from the shadows... suddenly.  The person is cloaked, dark-hooded.  Now I know thats commonplace, and pretty easy to get, but then it was intimidating.  He could see my face, but I couldnt see his!?  He drew a dagger, then another.  He emotted twirling them around, plucking at the tip ect.

He said, if you don't stop stealing without paying me 50percent of the profits... he'll kill me.

Now, this might not be the "newb friendly" thing that everyone else would want, but to me that SOLD me on the game, 100percent.  I had some badass assassin type guy threatening to kill me.

It was a thrill, exciting, and it really showed me the possibilities of the game.  I think the biggest thing anyone wants in Arm is to be INVOLVED.  Whether its being killed, or beaten, or brought into a love romance... whichever it may be, involve people.

As a newbie you walk around the game not knowing who is what, and what is who, NPC's are PC's, PC's might be NPC's.  You don't know yet.  But.. you do know you've not interacted with anyone or had them respond to you.  You also don't know where to find people, what to do, how to act.

Do every newbie a favor.  If you see them in Chalton boots in the newbie area, take them someplace, threaten them, give them a weapon, show them where to hunt, ask them what they WANT to do.

Involve them, its the key to capturing the imagination.

My first newbie experience was probably one of the most interesting I've ever had on a MUD, and I realize now I ought to be sending a kudos to the guy that took the time out of his busy life as Mister Badass to help me get used to the game, give me an initial purpose, and show me what I was doing wrong.

By the way, I'm sorry at the time I didn't know the "inv" command to realize you start with a lot of coin. I swear it wasn't my fault ;_;

... And Jeax, whoever that player was, I bet he had a really bad accent. Most guys on Arm have horrible accents. All this "ya wan' do tha' an' ge' some sids'n shi' t'getha" stuff.

DISCLAIMER remember "inv" it saves your life!

Mmm, yeah.  Those of you who "Tal' li' y' go' co'n ba's 'n y' mou's" might want to tone that down with the newbies. 

Actually even I have trouble understanding you sometimes.

Quote from: Vanth on March 22, 2010, 12:56:50 PM
Mmm, yeah.  Those of you who "Tal' li' y' go' co'n ba's 'n y' mou's" might want to tone that down with the newbies. 

There was one awesome dwarf who spoke so incomprehensibly he became famous for it. I loved that PC.
Quote from: Morrolan on July 16, 2013, 01:43:41 AM
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

Seriously. I have to force myself ooc not to have my pcs completely avoid these people... and they still usually talk shit about the guy who obviously got smacked in the mouth with a club at a young age. There's a reason accents are precoded, folks.

On topic:

If by 'hug' you mean 'subdue' and by 'today', you mean.... uh... today... then yes.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Quote from: AmandaGreathouse on March 22, 2010, 04:35:18 PM

Seriously. I have to force myself ooc not to have my pcs completely avoid these people... and they still usually talk shit about the guy who obviously got smacked in the mouth with a club at a young age. There's a reason accents are precoded, folks.

On topic:

If by 'hug' you mean 'subdue' and by 'today', you mean.... uh... today... then yes.

Jesus. Do you guys read books? Or are you really running into people who try to talk with an accent that are using it that terribly? I've had yet t'see summun in game I couldn' unnerstand.

I don't see how what I typed was that hard to understand, at all, but okay? This isn't a bash thread for code accents vs player-made accents.

Anyways, today I was not able to hug a n00b, as I wasn't in game, sadly.

Quote from: Akoto on March 22, 2010, 01:01:19 PM
"Tal' li' y' go' co'n ba's 'n y' mou's"

???
"Talk like you've got cotton balls in your mouths." ;) 

Not directed at anyone in particular, just a general observation.

"Tal' li'e y'go' co'on balls in y'mou!"

Who else has hugged a n00b today, at... 2:00 a.m. EST?

Quote from: Vanth on March 23, 2010, 12:45:45 AM
???

Yeah, this's one of my pet peeves.  There are people that do this to the point of being nearly incomprehensible.  It's silly.  I've no problem with this being done, just not to the point of absurdity as some have done.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: spawnloser on March 23, 2010, 05:17:31 AM
Quote from: Vanth on March 23, 2010, 12:45:45 AM
???

Yeah, this's one of my pet peeves.  There are people that do this to the point of being nearly incomprehensible.  It's silly.  I've no problem with this being done, just not to the point of absurdity as some have done.

Tah lie yeh goh con bossen yeh mouse

If that's indeed how it sounds, by all means, type it like that. It's the random apostrophe-laden minefield of whatever the hell someone is saying that's the pet peeve. Not because they're speaking in a certain way, but because simply taking apostrophes in in random places is so ambiguous. If you're going to try and show how the way you speak is phonetically different, by all means, change what's being said so that it's what you're saying. Don't just randomly switch letters for apostrophes. Show people what it sounds like you're saying and if they can't guess it, it's your own damn fault.
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

The problem is that's not how it sounds. And I'm sorry, but I'm not going to be baited anymore.

On to the next subject, here's a fun n00b question for ya'll.

As a n00b, were -you- given hugs? Who gave you these hugs? And, more specifically, just how bad did you screw yourself over as a n00b? There's no shame in admitting you thought you could take on that Half-Giant.... really.

Disagree about accented speech somewhere else.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

QuoteAs a n00b, were -you- given hugs? Who gave you these hugs?

When I first logged in to the Sanctuary, one of my first concerns was to find out where food was.  The bar staff didn't help, and those at my table gave my 'bred the respect she deserved.  But one suspect character did offer to find her a job.
It was a Jihaen (the crimson-eyed....) that took her into the market and showed her around. I suppose in the long run, if her principles had allowed it, my 'bred could have supplied him with poisons. I've forgotten his name (it was one of the Turks) but it's been one of my good memories. I thought of this the other day when one of the suggestions in this thread was to dare to break character.  Or is that how they behave in the north? Been so long, I've forgot.

My first hug was given by a staff member... Eventually, with that PC, Synthesis would teach me a valuable lesson about the game... it is harsh. I suppose that was -like- a hug. Yeesh, I was so clueless, and as a result my PC was probably the most annoying and inconsequential PCs ever made. I'm surprised he didn't do it sooner.  Picked up the game quickly after that though, and those I played with then probably couldn't recognize me now. Not even close. :D

That was a pretty fun group to get started with.

March 26, 2010, 08:36:55 AM #40 Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 08:38:55 AM by Saellyn
I met a Desert Elf as my first noob hug, and I think the player was -really- breaking character by showing me the reins and helping me out, and I'll never forget those long desert nights where the annoying "Are we there yet!?" pierced the sky... yeah, I know his face was twisted up in a "Drov, give me mercy!" look under all those clothes...

*AHEM* Reminiscing about events that may/not have happened, it was always great to RP with desert elves. Just uh... one of the -creepier- aspects of the game, in my opinion. Said player was also my biggest supporter when I was having ragefests at the subsequent deaths of like... four of my characters, one right after the other. My second char died within two hours of playing xD

Also hugged a n00b at like... 1:00 EST. Showing him the reins was so much fun. I love helping newbs out. Makes me feel war and warm and fuzzy inside.

I'm awaiting approval for my first character, but also at work now. Can I still get a huggle? Preemptive strike I suppose  ::)

* AmandaGreathouse gives Simon a huggle.

Seriously though. Welcome. Don't get discouraged if you log in during a nighttime sandstorm and can't see anything when you leave your starting point. Just head back until dawn (20 minutes or less). And find a helper. They're awesome and I still use them from time to time.

Amanda, give him back his boots.
Quote from: Morrolan on July 16, 2013, 01:43:41 AM
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

Quote from: AmandaGreathouse on March 26, 2010, 09:18:46 AM
* AmandaGreathouse gives Simon a huggle.

Seriously though. Welcome. Don't get discouraged if you log in during a nighttime sandstorm and can't see anything when you leave your starting point. Just head back until dawn (20 minutes or less). And find a helper. They're awesome and I still use them from time to time.

Considering the shame thread is what intrigued me the most, I don't expect to be discouraged easily.

Quote from: janeshephard on March 26, 2010, 10:27:35 AM
Amanda, give him back his boots.

I don't steal boots, I seduce them off of you. *wink*

Simon, though: You're going to fit in just fine, that being the case.

And after a year or two, you'll realize how much of what you did could go in there.

Some of my favorite memories, I don't know if they ought to go in the shame thread or the bragging one. :)

Amanda, give him back his pants.  ;D

Anyway. I'm still waiting for my noobhug.

March 26, 2010, 12:35:08 PM #47 Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 12:51:48 PM by Simon
Quote from: Akaramu on March 26, 2010, 12:30:22 PM

Want some noob-on-noob action?

Apparently my pants were already stolen. -stretches out arms.-

Edit: Woohoo! Character approval. Time to bail from work for an 'interview.'

Quote from: Simon on March 26, 2010, 12:35:08 PM

Hahah. Noob on noob action. That's great.

Quote from: Saellyn on March 26, 2010, 01:33:28 PM
Quote from: Simon on March 26, 2010, 12:35:08 PM

Hahah. Noob on noob action. That's great.
The more the merrier. Join in! Bring a friend!

The staff just hugged some noobs with the Helper system. Awesome.

The new helper system looks very neat. Hope it will help produce even more armaholics.

:(

I was never hugged as a noob. The only attention I got aside from sticking it out hardcore style were a few promptings and urgings from my IRL friend.

Maybe by soloing the noob experience I've best learned how not to become one and expend 50+ characters on figuring out not to drink the funny liquid.
Quote from: Niamh on September 24, 2009, 02:28:12 PM
Remember, you're never in trouble if you don't get caught!

Quote from: Wyx on June 28, 2009, 07:59:17 PM
Besides, the players know best

A gortok hugged me on my first character. Spent -all- of my coin on a quiver, a bow, and as many arrows as I could carry. :)

The next character became a Salarri if I remember right, and that went really well.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Heh, my first noob hug was from an irl friend.  He said I should play, and then explained -all- the problems with my round-ear coming up and whispering to a dwarf.....but were it not for him, and a certain kicking 'breed to tell my character not to sleep in the desert, then I probably would be on character #53876483...ish.
"The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead."
-Albert Einstein

I was hugged... and I think I got him killed. =(

Quote from: Simon on March 28, 2010, 01:29:38 AM
I was hugged... and I think I got him killed. =(

There's one for the shame brag thread.  You're doing great!

I especially love helping out newbies with their characters by dragging out all the important questions and helping them figure that roleplay stuff out.  It's a very different flavor here than the vast, vast majority of other games.
she said slow down this train
slow down the iron that runs in my veins

For what it's worth, people have been pretty friendly to me since I signed up. I had one guy take me on a little trip with some of of his pals and then walk me back, and wasn't rejected when I started a conversation with another character, which is a first for me (given my experience of r/p sites outside of MUDs had led me to believe that people instantly assume newbies can't roleplay). Made me feel really welcome actually, especially given that at the time I was standing around wondering what the hell I was supposed to be doing  :P.
Stop reading people's signatures and get a job, you loafer.

*Hugged about three newbs* I love newbs and welcome to Armageddon!

When I first so this topic, I thought it said: Have you mugged a noob today?
Squinting at the such-and-such dwarf, the so-and-so woman asks, in sirihish:
     "You put jam in your peenee hole to keep from making baby juice?"

Personally noobs are my favorite to roleplay with. So impressionable. So easy to impress.

IT reminds me of when I was still a noob and every little thing filled me with wonder.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on April 05, 2010, 11:35:39 AM
Personally noobs are my favorite to roleplay with. So impressionable. So easy to impress.

IT reminds me of when I was still a noob and every little thing filled me with wonder.

Plus it always feels good knowing you're part of their most formative time playing. I always try to hug newbs.

Except that one who got a restraining order on me.

Damn you. I told you it was IC of me to stalk you with your tressy-glorious f-me sdesc.

*shakes fist*

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on April 05, 2010, 11:35:39 AM

yea...the 'whoa dude, I found an ancient surmac! sweet!"
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

When I was a newb, I thought obsidian swords were the coolest thing ever.
Rickey's Law: People don't want "A story". They want their story.

When I was a newb, I pretended to be a bad ass.

Now my characters all have obviously exploitable flaws and they regularly make fools of themselves.

... But really are bad ass.
she said slow down this train
slow down the iron that runs in my veins