Mind Rape

Started by RogueGunslinger, March 05, 2010, 03:38:15 PM

I just worry that in practice, that would make it too easy for the outside the law people, and too difficult for the enforcing the law people.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

I really hope nothing changes with barrier.  To use often spoke words around here, the game isn't fair.

The OP was never about fairness.

Seeings as you're the OP, and you said "barrier should get a boost to match contact" it seems all about fairness.  Barrier doesn't need help and people shouldn't have to have your 'true name' to contact you.  The latter is especially foolish, though the current use is fine, as it has been shown, it doesn't help against the barrier skill.

The OP(original post) was about making barrier equivalent to what it would have been, before contact got a boost. Less about fair, and more about original intent.

I like the idea of true name contact. I don't really see how it's foolish. But I suppose those who like it may be considered fools.

March 11, 2010, 12:35:35 PM #80 Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 01:07:39 PM by Chettaman
I'm down for true name contact.
But it would indeed make some things a bit more inconvenient.
At the same time - All those people who sneak into your mind and just leave. *edited: "touch'e, Amanda. Touch'e."*

Maybe if there were different levels of barrier...
>barrier weak (or just barrier for default)
You build a Nyr barrier around your mind.
> barrier strong
You build a fortified Nyr barrier around your mind.

No barrier allows people to use any of your keywords to find your mind.
the weak barrier would allow anyone who knew your true name to find your mind.
the strong barrier would try to block anyone from getting in.

Eh? Good idea?
*edited to add: I really hate it when people touch my mind and leave...
Live like God.
Love like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors

Quote from: Chettaman on March 11, 2010, 12:35:35 PM
At the same time - All those people who sneak into your mind and just leave. Intentional or not. Would cease to exist.

Incorrect. I only use the names people give me to contact them and much of the time, when those people aren't logged in, I wind up contacting someone else entirely by name alone.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on March 05, 2010, 03:38:15 PM
I dislike that barrier is so worthless as a skill. In a world where anyone who's anyone and slip into your mind and pester the fuck out of you, I think people would have developed a better ability at blocking them out.

I propose a boost to make up for the many boosts that contact has gotten.

After some consideration, it doesn't look like starting barrier will be boosted.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Awesome, I'm glad it's working as intended. Thanks for considering.